Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain

Kangaroo

Alright, his stats don't look that impressive (52yrds in 5 games), but I reckon he's much better than what the stats show--today he  secured a defensive penalty on a 50+ yrd throw.  And that is at least the 2nd time he has done so on a 40+ yrd pass.  So far he's been targeted only 12 times, with 4 receptions.  Some of those passes were uncatchable, landing well short of him.  If we credited his stats with the penalty receptions, he does look a vital part of the offence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

He has 1 play just for him in the playbook:

Run deep , fast, and draw a penalty.

I bet he leads the league in that stat.

On a serious note, the play did kinda jump-start us.

the ravens did this a lot when they had flacco, it was a big part of their game plans

im surprised we dont see it more, could go even further and tell cain to initiate some contact, we might still get the call.  offensive PI is 10 yards, defensive could be 50+

• Like 1

Y’know, no one really stepped up at WR when we lost TY, but I wouldn’t really panic over it.  Doyle’s stepping up big time, and we’re starting to mix in Cox.  Cain’ll have a productive day sooner or later, and Pascal and Rogers can play a role.  Disappointing that Fountain and Funchess looked so good, but won’t play at all this year.  Still, Reich and Siriani will find away to move the ball.  (On a side note: Eberflus will probably be a head coach next year.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He seems to get a lot of (penalty) yardage that way, but he was actually touted as more of a possession X receiver.

10 minutes ago, Archer said:

Y’know, no one really stepped up at WR when we lost TY, but I wouldn’t really panic over it.  Doyle’s stepping up big time, and we’re starting to mix in Cox.  Cain’ll have a productive day sooner or later, and Pascal and Rogers can play a role.  Disappointing that Fountain and Funchess looked so good, but won’t play at all this year.  Still, Reich and Siriani will find away to move the ball.  (On a side note: Eberflus will probably be a head coach next year.)

Funchess  will be back fountain is the only wr out til next year

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

As @Stephen said, Funchess will be back.  I think expectations are sometime between weeks 8-11... so we should have him at least the last 1/4 of the season.

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Didn’t Cain have a nice two feet down, sideline catch? The kid has talents and will get there eventually but right now, just need reps. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think JB wil see the tape of Cain being open, and give him more targets......

One would hope that’s the maturation process for JB and his development. Play time is part of it, film and study and planning with coaches is the other huge side of getting better. It will be interesting to see how JB develops after this season given he will have one full season in as “the guy”. Too bad our run game didn’t look like yesterday’s game for the last season KC game, it was supposed to look the same. Run at will, we could not do anything last season. 

• Like 1

Drawing the long P.I. penalties is something we really should try and do more often as mentioned above. Cain is beating his defenders on those and shaking defenders when Brisett doesnt see him. Kid appears legit, the sideline grabbed dragging the foot was a thing of beauty. Brissett will get better speeding up his progressions and that will also help Cain out as he often isnt option 1 nor 2 at this stage. Was obvious he was a hidden gem all along and is now showing it.

20 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the ravens did this a lot when they had flacco, it was a big part of their game plans

im surprised we dont see it more, could go even further and tell cain to initiate some contact, we might still get the call.  offensive PI is 10 yards, defensive could be 50+

Sadly I can't find a list of drawn penalties, but Torrey Smith was the master of drawing the PI call on the deep jump balls for Flacco. 

18 hours ago, Archer said:

Well, I hope that does happen...

It's just a broken collarbone with no reports of ligament damage done.  It's one of the easiest broken bones to return from and if he's keeping his cardio up while he's recovering, he should not really miss a step when he gets back.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:00 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I think JB wil see the tape of Cain being open, and give him more targets......

I hope so.  I was just looking at stats and find it kind of fascinating how little deep shots we have taken this year.  I am wondering if this is a developmental problem of Jacoby (i.e., are the coaches keeping the offense very short and simple to continue letting Jacoby getting his feet wet?), or if it was the coaches plan going into the season (i.e., would we run a similar offense with Luck at the helm? or did the coaches make big adjustments for Brissett?), or if the coaches are just keeping parts of the offense hidden until later in the year?  

Brissett is throwing for 6.4 yards average, whereas Luck was 7.2 last year -- not a huge difference there... but it strikes me as odd that TY (who typically averages >16 ypc) is only at 9.7 ypc this year and Campbell is at 6.2 ypc.  Maybe after the bye and getting Funchess back we'll see the offense open up more?  I'd have to think the coaches and Jacoby can see the same film we're seeing and realize they're missing out on some opportunities to hit open targets down the field.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:53 AM, will426 said:

if only Jacoby would trust em he’s been open weekly and i hate how he’s used for “One” go route per game when every time we use him deep he gets a damn penalty because no1 can keep up 

It's not so much trust, as JB never gets to Cain when going through his progressions.... He gets to one, SOMETIMES two reads ..... Rarely three, and never really a fourth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1