Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Impact of Stars Requesting Trades

bhougland

I think it is very interesting that all of these stars are requesting trades.  If this continues I could see it benefitting winning culture organizations.  If they keep getting away with it how do you ever get guys to buy in to the culture if you are say the Jets?  Are they doomed to be losers forever?

In the flip side, thank goodness we got Ballard and Reich before this all became a thing.

Did the Leveon Bell hold out start this precedent?

7 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I think it is very interesting that all of these stars are requesting trades.  If this continues I could see it benefitting winning culture organizations.  If they keep getting away with it how do you ever get guys to buy in to the culture if you are say the Jets?  Are they doomed to be losers forever?

In the flip side, thank goodness we got Ballard and Reich before this all became a thing.

I think there are a lot of factors that are in play. This is going to compare against the NBA.

Typically the NFL is more dangerous and can mean a shorter career. Certainly the averages bear this out.

Also, unless you are an absolute stud, one player won’t have the impact a Lebron James has in his prime. In the NBA one player is 20% if your starters. In the NFL you’re about 2-3%. 

I think players would would like to go for the money early in their career, then seek the title later. I think it boils down to the individual ultimately. Players motivated by money will go where the dollars are greatest. 

I think it it would be much harder to get a Superstar team a la the Heat to work in the NFL. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I would never trade a player that demands a trade unless I got more than he was worth.   Sit out,   lose money.   

That would b a great way to attract free agents if u treated a player like that (sarcasm). I agree with u if I was a GM. However that is why i would not make a good gm; I am to emotional haha

1 hour ago, bhougland said:

Stars have requested trades for decades.  This isn't even the first time someone's pulled antics to get released and go where they want to go.  

There is nothing new under the sun.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

That would b a great way to attract free agents if u treated a player like that (sarcasm). I agree with u if I was a GM. However that is why i would not make a good gm; I am to emotional haha

You signed a contract.   Just because the team is having problems you don't demand a trade.   Go home.   Retire,   whatever.   If I don't get a premium offer I'm not trading you

• Like 2

Like someone else mentioned above, in the Dolphins case I understand it. Your team/organization is openly tanking and you shouldn't have to endure that. If a guy wants to go somewhere in his prime and actually compete, there's nothing wrong with that. These are very exigent circumstances however, and really the only way it would be tolerated or acceptable imo. 

The league needs to get a handle on this.  

When Blount did his thing to Pitt and went to NE (sketchy).

The way Bell and Brown held Pitt hostage, Brown holding the Raiders hostage, and once again GOES TO NE (sketchy).

Now, if Ramsey goes to NE, then players and/or coaches are recruiting.

Its giving the league a bad look.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The league needs to get a handle on this.  

When Blount did his thing to Pitt and went to NE (sketchy).

The way Bell and Brown held Pitt hostage, Brown holding the Raiders hostage, and once again GOES TO NE (sketchy).

Now, if Ramsey goes to NE, then players and/or coaches are recruiting.

Its giving the league a bad look.

What's the answer to the problem? I mean just because it doesn't fall in line with subjective moral guidelines doesn't mean it isn't viable in accordance with league guidelines. For the record, I'm definitely against it. 

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

A lot of the new age players are so whiny

the office what GIF

its a small window for a lot of athletes key is to make your money as much as you can while you can. the nfl/nba are not short on money owners arent short on money. the payments for nfl players are escrow not going to go there but i got no problem with this. some organizations arent run well get out if you can while you can. do whats right for you and your family. lets be (real) here.   

Been waiting for someone to start this topic. What this is doing is setting up for intense negotiations for the next CBA. Less the NFL end up like the NBA, they most certainly need to get a handle on the situation. The most concerning is how AB essentially forced his way off of two teams. I also think the sketchiness with Bennett retiring and then un-retiring to play for NE (again sketchy that it was NE as WoolMagnet pointed out) is also concerning. 

I think owners are going to push to have players only receive all their guarantees if they play out their rookie contracts and don’t requests trades. Players are going to push for more opt out clauses in their contracts and more protected money. 

AB is screwing over a lot of future players tbh.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I would never trade a player that demands a trade unless I got more than he was worth.   Sit out,   lose money.   

It's easy to say this as a fan who has no real financial investment in the players. But it's not always that simple for the franchises in what is a highly competitive industry. Imagine if you're the Steelers. Le'Veon Bell sits out a whole year, then moves onto another team and you get nothing in return.  He did sit out and he did lose money, but at the end of the day, he moved onto another team and got a big contract. The Steelers lost a very talented player and gained nothing. Had they traded him, even if it was for lesser value, they'd at least get something in return instead of nothing at all. Would you rather sit Le'Veon just to spite him and get nothing in return, or would you rather trade him for a 4th round pick and get that in return?

30 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

It's easy to say this as a fan who has no real financial investment in the players. But it's not always that simple for the franchises in what is a highly competitive industry. Imagine if you're the Steelers. Le'Veon Bell sits out a whole year, then moves onto another team and you get nothing in return.  He did sit out and he did lose money, but at the end of the day, he moved onto another team and got a big contract. The Steelers lost a very talented player and gained nothing. Had they traded him, even if it was for lesser value, they'd at least get something in return instead of nothing at all. Would you rather sit Le'Veon just to spite him and get nothing in return, or would you rather trade him for a 4th round pick and get that in return?

I'm pretty sure the Steelers will get a 3'rd round compensatory pick. So it's late 3'rd round vs. 4'th in your scenario. 

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You signed a contract.   Just because the team is having problems you don't demand a trade.   Go home.   Retire,   whatever.   If I don't get a premium offer I'm not trading you

What do u think Bellechik  would do in a situation like this and to me, hes the gold standard?  He would b gone the next day.  Trying to prove a point does not trump team chemistry

9 hours ago, C0LT5 said:

I'm pretty sure the Steelers will get a 3'rd round compensatory pick. So it's late 3'rd round vs. 4'th in your scenario. 

Let's change up the scenario then and say the Steelers can get a 3rd and a 5th round pick in a trade instead of just for nothing.  And as @Moosejawcolt said in his post, it would lower team morale and chemistry.  It could also give players a bad impression of how your front office operates, lowering your chances of signing future free agents.  At the end of the day, I don't think it's as simple as saying "let him sit because he'll lose money".  Teams have to look out for their own interests and their future, and there are many factors involved.

• Like 2

If you were an extremely talented individual working for a dumpster fire company, and you know that there are other high class organizations that would want your services, wouldn’t you also want out? 

Theres nothing wrong with requesting a trade. It’s how these players handle said request and their subsequent behaviour after that determines whether the player is being selfish/a head case/a *.

I have no issue with players asking for a trade or sitting out.

You want to be traded, fine. Just play hard while you're here.

You're going to sit out because you now don't like the $15 million/yr contract you were thrilled to sign a couple of years ago, fine. You don't get paid and you'll never make back that money.

And maybe, you find out nobody wants you and you end up in football hades with a team like the jets (are you paying attention melvin?)

"A fool and his money," a quote older than time. The irony here is these athletes have zero knowledge of what money is and how to manage it. The list of athletes that wind up broke after leaving their respective sports is as revealing as it is long. The word "billions" has come up in some sports talk shows in reference to the future salary demands. Wasn't it Ramsey that showed up in a Brinks truck ? The joke is on them in the end. All that being said what will happen when college players start getting paid? How many college players are there vs. pro players?

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What do u think Bellechik  would do in a situation like this and to me, hes the gold standard?  He would b gone the next day.  Trying to prove a point does not trump team chemistry

When has a patriot player ever done such a thing?   

I think the Chargers played it right with Gordon. They offered him what they believed was a very fair offer, Gordon disagreed. The Chargers basically said, "look, we're not going to cut you or just give you away, we've invested a lot of money and time into you. So if you think you're worth a lot more you can look for a trade partner, but we want the valve of you which is a #1 pick". Gordon and his agent went shopping, no bidders. He can't blame the Chargers, maybe he needs to look in the mirror.

Ramsey has another issue, it's not just the Jags compensation but what Ramsey will want. Giving up a #1 and #3 pick is one thing, but having to pay Ramsey a 5 year 100+ million dollar contract and knowing he flies off the handle is too much for most..

On 9/18/2019 at 10:07 AM, coltsva said:

I have no issue with players asking for a trade or sitting out.

You want to be traded, fine. Just play hard while you're here.

You're going to sit out because you now don't like the $15 million/yr contract you were thrilled to sign a couple of years ago, fine. You don't get paid and you'll never make back that money.

And maybe, you find out nobody wants you and you end up in football hades with a team like the jets (are you paying attention melvin?)

Agreed!!!

Hey, maybe every team can give a player contract no greater than 3 years with a 4th year option and make at least 50% of any contract guaranteed so that there is a greater possibility of players playing out their contract??? That way, if market evaluations change, they can shop around and change teams but it typically takes about 2-3 years for markets to significantly reset, IMO. Might be a win-win, IMO.