Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

40 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Says something pretty damning if with all the gaps and openings in the league right now, all the injuries that could use a good gap filler and a few teams whose seasons are already outright over, and even figuring in Kelly's obvious talent (Kelly looked at least as good as Daniel Jones who is currently an NFL starter), not one of the other 31 teams take a crack at Kelly

It’s still the off field stuff. It’s too recent 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He should not revert to the practice squad though... I think we're all ready to move on. 

Putting him on practice squad is a good thing for all 

• Like 1

I'm not one to think CK can be better than JB ... But, Hoyer is another story. Who here thinks Hoyer can lead the Colts to a playoff, or big game win? I don't know if CK can, but I have zero confidence in Hoyer. I guess I am allowed to have my own opinion? Look at Hoyers history, is that supposed to give us hope?

3 minutes ago, BrickHead said:

I'm not one to think CK can be better than JB ... But, Hoyer is another story. Who here thinks Hoyer can lead the Colts to a playoff, or big game win? I don't know if CK can, but I have zero confidence in Hoyer. I guess I am allowed to have my own opinion? Look at Hoyers history, is that supposed to give us hope?

When and if JB falters and if BH is not the answer CB, FR, NS, and MB can bring up CK or sign/trade for someone who can

28 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Cooperstown is an entirely different debate.   The best hitter all time isn't in 

The best hitter of all time?????????????

Pete Rose has 67 more hits than Ty Cobb....and it took him 2,614 more AB's to get it. 

Rose is a freaking legend and should be in the HOF but he is far, far, far away from being the best hitter of all time. His lifetime BA was .303

7 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

The best hitter of all time?????????????

Pete Rose has 67 more hits than Ty Cobb....and it took him 2,614 more AB's to get it. 

Rose is a freaking legend and should be in the HOF but he is far, far, far away from being the best hitter of all time. His lifetime BA was .303

He should be in but the problem is that when he was a prime candidate he was not allowed on the ballot and now many of the voters didn’t get to see him

I am 41 and only got to see him at the end of his career and I know him more for his downfall

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

He should be in but the problem is that when he was a prime candidate he was not allowed on the ballot and now many of the voters didn’t get to see him

I am 41 and only got to see him at the end of his career and I know him more for his downfall

He'll get in once he's dead. 

18 minutes ago, BrickHead said:

I'm not one to think CK can be better than JB ... But, Hoyer is another story.

Hoyer is indeed another story.  But Hoyer is here to do things that Kelly absolutely can't, like teach all the thousand subtle ins and outs of being a starting quarterback that Brissett (and Kelly for that matter) still struggle with.

If we keep Kelly, he'll be practicing with Hoyer, who is intimately familiar with half a doezn different systems including 2 stints with the Patriots as well as a being known as a consummate professional. 

If you're a Kelly fan you want him absorbing as much knowledge as possible from a guy who overcame an almost total lack of talent to become a multi year NFL starter based almost exclusively on his wits and intelligence.  Everything Kelly needs to know to succeed is something Hoyer can teach him.  That's why he's here.

18 minutes ago, BrickHead said:

I believe in Hoyer more than Kelly at this time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BrickHead said:

I wouldn't think many here would pin their hopes on Hoyer in that way.  His role is to support the development of Jacoby.  He may not be physically capable of what you describe above but it's often said, and I dont mean this as a criticism of Brian, "those that can't do, teach.".  His knowledge of the game and the qb position as an experience likely exceed his in game talent.  I had hoped Chad would be signed to the 53, and now I hope he clears waivers and makes the PS (I'm just not a fan of letting QB talent, and I think CK has shown some, walk right now).  If the Colts are only going to carry 2 QBs on the active roster though, Brissett and a knowledgeable veteran are the two that make the most sense.  I've said this a bunch lately, but I trust Ballard knows what he's doing.  If his best judgement is that the risk of waiving Kelly outweighs his contribution (potential or actual) to the 53 man roster, then I am going to trust that he knows what he's talking about. 

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Hasn’t worked for Gil Hodges

He has 300+ HRs as a player and a WS with the Miracle Mets as a manager 

Hodges doesn't have near the counting stats required for a 1st baseman to get into the HOF and he doesn't have nearly enough career WAR for the modern sabermetric types to vote him in either. He's never getting in. 

He's Hall of Very Good imo. 

1 minute ago, Lennon1940 said:

Hodges doesn't have near the counting stats required for a 1st baseman to get into the HOF and he doesn't have nearly enough career WAR for the modern sabermetric types to vote him in either. He's never getting in. 

He's Hall of Very Good imo. 

You can never compare different generations 

He was the 1st Baseman of the 40s and 50s not to mention his Managerial career

I know of three communities and a multiple fan bases that beg to differ on him

Everyone intelligent understands that Chad Kelly is the far better talent. Unfortunately, Brissett has been here for years, thus he's "entitled" to the starting job. I just hope the team doesn't settle for mediocrity, which is all Brissett has proven capable of giving us. Teams that settle for mediocre QB's are teams that aren't worth watching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Last year, the coaches talked about how critical it was to have a quality backup QB (JB). Now all of sudden, it's OK just have a good mentor...

By the way, I'm perfectly fine with Hoyer as a mentor. Not as a QB2 god forbid JB miss time.

TBH, a team realistically wants a .500 record from backup over a short period of games until QB1 returns. More is gravy.

3 hours ago, BrickHead said:

If Hoyer is on the field, it's pretty much already over. I don't think Hoyer can teach Brisset anything we would want him to learn.

Bull doody, and you know it.  Tom Brady spells it out for you-

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/tom-brady-reflects-release-brian-hoyer

Did they try to get a 7th? I didn't see that.

If anyone offered anything, they would either accept it or keep him on the 53 man roster. Makes no sense to reject a trade offer (even if a conditional 7th), then shortly after waive the guy.

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

WTH is that??

I have kids that are now 33,23, and 17.  I've been cartooned out over the previous years.  That appears to be a character from a Cartoon Network show called Adventure Time.

2 hours ago, Daniel John said:

If a team claims Kelly on waivers, then can he turn them down?

The reason why I ask is that it might be better for him to be a 3rd stringer on the Colts (which he would essentially be as a member of the practice squad) than to be a 2nd or 3rd stringer on another team.

Once claimed, that teams has his rights, and he goes to that teams 53 man roster once they cut someone to make room. Players make much more money on a 53 man roster then a practice squad.

2 hours ago, Lennon1940 said:

The glee you get while facing a future of mediocrity is beyond me. But hey, keep thinking JB is going to suddenly be a great QB.

Many football people say JB has the "IT" factor. Reich will adapt the playbook and build upon JB's strengths... even as those develop too.

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

But wouldn't this probably mean another team would pick him up in the next week or two anyway? What's the point then? That the Colts can still add him to the 53 later or that they have him in case Brissett gets hurt Sunday?

If a guy passes through waivers, he is an unrestricted FA.  He can sign anywhere to be on their P.S.  Once on a P.S., other teams can sign him but it must be to their 53 man roster where they have to 'cut' a different player to make room, and then pay him for 3 weeks (even if they release him before that).

• Thanks 2

Ballard may know he can get Kelly on the practice squad, but this whole QB thing is really bad now. We may lose Kelly, Hoyer is complete garbage if he has to start, and I'm quickly becoming disinterested in the Colts with Brissett as QB. Not Ballard's fault at all, but I would think we would have to draft a QB next year in the 1st or 2nd round.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard may know he can get Kelly on the practice squad, but this whole QB thing is really bad now. We may lose Kelly, Hoyer is complete garbage if he has to start, and I'm quickly becoming disinterested in the Colts with Brissett as QB. Not Ballard's fault at all, but I would think we would have to draft a QB next year in the 1st or 2nd round.

The Colts first two games have both been exciting, close games on the road against good teams. Can't understand why a fan of the team would be disinterested. I'm very interested to see how this team progresses. Also, when a so-called fan calls a Colts player garbage, it generally says more about the fan than the player, in my opinion.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I among many others feel different 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The Colts first two games have both been exciting, close games on the road against good teams. Can't understand why a fan of the team would be disinterested. I'm very interested to see how this tram progresses.

I agree, Brissett is at least a legit average to above average QB IMO. He was a proven great backup as well. I can't understand why some in here think Chad Kelly was going to be the next Andrew Luck. To read some of the posts that was what some were implying. Kelly has never even played a regular season down in the NFL. I am not even sure anyone will pick him up, they might but that is 50/50 IMO.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

The Colts first two games have both been exciting, close games on the road against good teams. Can't understand why a fan of the team would be disinterested. I'm very interested to see how this tram progresses.

To me, since i've been a fan of the Colts since 1998, we've had great QB play and the games have been exciting. Suddenly, right when we have the best GM in the league and possible SB hopes, Luck retires, we have a boring QB that is probably bottom 5 in the league and we're just going to be an 8-8 team that loses to every good team. Kelly is somewhat insurance and I don't want to lose him. These first two games have completely took the wind out of my sails regarding Brissett.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To me, since i've been a fan of the Colts since 1998, we've had great QB play and the games have been exciting. Suddenly, right when we have the best GM in the league and possible SB hopes, Luck retires, we have a boring QB that is probably bottom 5 in the league and we're just going to be an 8-8 team that loses to every good team. Kelly is somewhat insurance and I don't want to lose him. These first two games have completely took the wind out of my sails regarding Brissett.

We have a lot of fun players on defense. That hurdle that Ebron did wasn’t exciting. Campbell is going to break out soon. Same with Cain I believe. That run by Wilkins wasn’t exciting. Or Mack run that first game.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Should be around for the 80s and early 90s

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We still may go 8-8 but I see it differently after these 1st 2 weeks. Both games had me on the edge of my seat and I thought Brissett at least played middle of the pack football. Far better than a bottom 5 QB. Lets see what he does against Atlanta. We could easily be 2-0 but 1-1 is fine for now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, if the quarterback play isn't up to your standards, you should absolutely give up on the team immediately and assume they'll never win a big game. Great call. Maybe you'd find the Patriots more interesting.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

AReich did the same thing with Luck last year to start the season. He is bringing JB along slowly. We played to great defensive teams. Worse thing he could of done was just throw him to the wolves. We are 1-1. Easily should be 2-0. We all thought Luck would be 1-1 also.

If AV had not the hiccups and/or had LAC played like they did last week it would have been 2-0

• Like 2