Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

If some are only watching the Colts for the main purpose of them beating the Patriots and making the SB then why even watch at all this year? Once Luck retired that went out the window for this season. I get the main purpose of any season is winning the SB. Having said that I think we can still have a fun and exciting season and possibly make the playoffs. I want to see how much JB grows and how the defense continues to get better now. That is just the fan of 36 seasons in me I guess. Next years draft/FA should be really interesting as well. If JB isn't the future, it is what it is. At that point Ballard will address it in the offseason.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If some are only watching the Colts for the main purpose of them beating the Patriots and making the SB then why even watch at all this year? Once Luck retired that went out the window for this season. I get the main purpose of any season is winning the SB. Having said that I think we can still have a fun and exciting season and possibly make the playoffs. I want to see how much JB grows and how the defense continues to get better now. That is just the fan of 36 seasons in me I guess. Next years draft/FA should be really interesting as well. If JB isn't the future, it is what it is. At that point Ballard will address it in the offseason.

MY god man, its 2 games into the season???  I respect your opinion on most of your posts, but as I see it, the NFL has turned into the new WWF, anything can happen.

2 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

MY god man, its 2 games into the season???  I respect your opinion on most of your posts, but as I see it, the NFL has turned into the new WWF, anything can happen.

You missed my point completely. I am behind Brissett 100% and the team. Please re-read my post. It wasn't a knock against the team but I am sick of fans saying, well we didn't beat the Pats or can't beat them. It is tiring and old. We probably won't beat them but my point is who cares, I will still root and support the team.

So far I think JB has done a decent job and I'll give it a few more games to see if he is worthy of a starting spot in the NFL. I was impressed by the way CK played in preseason and would've liked for him to remain with the Colts as the backup - If JB was to get injured I'd rather take a risk on an unproven QB who has shown potential than a sub par QB who isn't getting anyone's hopes up. If CK is a bust then fair enough it was a risky mistake for the season and we took a chance and move on to the next one.

As for this whole Hoyer being a mentor discussion... I don't really get it, hoyer isn't exactly a QB to look up to I wouldn't have thought and surely it's the coaches job to sort of mentor/coach players lol. As someone mentioned JB has had 3 years under Brady and Luck, I'm not convinced he is gonna need the mentorship of Brian Hoyer, especially as JB is a known team leader already.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jared Jammer said:

Everyone intelligent understands that Chad Kelly is the far better talent. Unfortunately, Brissett has been here for years, thus he's "entitled" to the starting job. I just hope the team doesn't settle for mediocrity, which is all Brissett has proven capable of giving us. Teams that settle for mediocre QB's are teams that aren't worth watching.

If he is a far superior talent,  why wasn't one team willing to trade for him?

• Like 3

I’m disappointed with him being waived, but understand business is business. Didn’t expect him to beat out Brissett or Hoyer, at least not yet, but like what I've seen from him to this point regardless of who it was against.

How long before he clears waivers and the Colts can get him on the practice squad?

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It amazes me how people can't behind JB. The 1st 2 weeks have been a success. I understand he isn't Luck but it is not like he is Pagel, Painter, Tolzien, or Kelly - last part in bold to give you a laugh lmao 

I think everyone including myself supports JB.  It’s just going to take time for some to get over Luck not as the QB. Winning lots of games will cure that. I don’t expect Brissett to put up Luck type numbers, but at some point I know JB is going to need some monster games and carry the Colts to some wins by himself. Can he do that??? I honestly don’t know. However, he has a better offense than Mr. Luck ever had.

The scrubs you listed played on crappy teams for the most part. I don’t see the comparison with JB in anyway. Go Colts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

I think everyone including myself supports JB.  It’s just going to take time for some to get over Luck not as the QB. Winning lots of games will cure that. I don’t expect Brissett to put up Luck type numbers, but at some point I know JB is going to need some monster games and carry the Colts to some wins by himself. Can he do that??? I honestly don’t know. However, he has a better offense than Mr. Luck ever had.

The scrubs you listed played on crappy teams for the most part. I don’t the comparison with JB in anyway. Go Colts.

Yeah, winning will get people behind JB I agree. Atlanta is a team that can score a lot of points. If we win this game, the momentum continues. Luck is tough to forget, I am still not 100% over him leaving but I have accepted it. I hope we win Sunday. If we don't the forum will be all over Ballard letting Kelly go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It amazes me how people can't behind JB. The 1st 2 weeks have been a success. I understand he isn't Luck but it is not like he is Pagel, Painter, Tolzien, or Kelly - last part in bold to give you a laugh lmao 

I think it’s possible that somebody can be “behind JB” and also concerned about our QB position.  It seems obvious that he was the best QB at our disposal after Luck’s departure.  And he’s still young and relatively green with plenty of upside.  And he’s played well enough in the first two games to get one good road win and almost two.

But, as far as QB rankings go, Luck was probably top 5-6 and Brissett is more like 17-22.  Recognizing that doesn’t make one anti-Jacoby.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It amazes me how people can't get behind JB. The 1st 2 weeks have been a success.

I agree.   I'm not huge on Brissett, but he did what was needed to win the 2 games on the road.   With an improved defense and a good running game, this team can do well.   

I guess people are just used to the 20 years of a pass happy team.  That is not what Ballard or Reich have in mind and I'm good with it.   This was a prove it year for Brissett and so far he has proven himself.  Over 69% completion %, 5 TD's and only 1 INT.   108 QB rating.   

Most of us liked what we seen in Kelly.   The problem is that no one on NFL teams feels as strong.  So we are obviously not seeing all of what there is to see.  The way some are talking on here, they would give up a 3rd round pick for Kelly when no other NFL team would even offer a 7th round pick.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

I think it’s possible that somebody can be “behind JB” and also concerned about our QB position.  It seems obvious that he was the best QB at our disposal after Luck’s departure.  And he’s still young and relatively green with plenty of upside.  And he’s played well enough in the first two games to get one good road win and almost two.

But, as far as QB rankings go, Luck was probably top 5-6 and Brissett is more like 17-22.  Recognizing that doesn’t make one anti-Jacoby.

Yeah I had Luck ranked 5th and so far your ranking on Brissett is pretty accurate. Brissett needs a few more wins to get people to believe in him. 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, winning will get people behind JB I agree. Atlanta is a team that can score a lot of points. If we win this game, the momentum continues. Luck is tough to forget, I am still not 100% over him leaving but I have accepted it. I hope we win Sunday. If we don't the forum will be all over Ballard letting Kelly go.

If Ballard and Reich, thought without a shadow of a doubt C. Kelly was a potential future starter, they would have got creative and found him a roster spot. Especially, with Brissett’s short term deal. 

I’m doubtful Brissett is the long term starter for the Colts, but I doubt Kelly even more as a future starter. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I think you are spot on.  It's just that some already have Kelly as a top 10 QB in this league.   

I think Jacoby  could go as high as a top 10-15 if Reich opens the offense some more as the season goes.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

If Ballard and Reich, thought without a shadow of a doubt C. Kelly was a potential future starter, they would have got created and found him a roster spot. Especially, with Brissett’s short term deal. 

I’m doubtful Brissett is the long term starter for the Colts, but I doubt Kelly even more as a future starter. 

I agree.   If Ballard, Reich and the rest of the NFL GM's (who have seen more film on Kelly than we have) don't think he is a potential NFL starter or even backup QB, we should accept it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

shocked brady would say good stuff about his buddy...

wonder why Belichick would draft someone to replace, and then cut, such a great QB.

Because he had Tom Brady. Anyone that has Tom Brady or Peyton Manning can trade even a good QB to get another player that may help the team elsewhere. That is common sense because those guys never miss a game. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

TBH, a team realistically wants a .500 record from backup over a short period of games until QB1 returns. More is gravy.

I would agree that is probably acceptable when you have your starter, who is a proven guy. JB was the backup until recently himself (is it OK for him to get .500?), and is unproven himself. I get that the FO believes he's got the IT factor, and will be the guy, but right now, that's only belief, not fact. That said, I'd prefer an unproven guy (JB) + a high ceiling guy who's an unknown, than an unproven guy plus a guy with a proven sub par record. 

I truly hope JB kills it, but it's anything but a given. And I certainly don't like being one injury away from Hoyer. Brady's love doesn't mean a lot to me when he just got cut by Brady's coach. BTW, Brady has said wonderful things about all of his backups.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Because he had Tom Brady. Anyone that has Tom Brady or Peyton Manning can trade even a good QB to get another player that may help the team elsewhere. That is common sense because those guys never miss a game. 

Sure but he didn't trade Hoyer. He flat out cut him.

Belichick has been masterful at playing up, and dealing back up QBs. The fact he couldn't trade him should tell you something.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sure but he didn't trade Hoyer. He flat out cut him.

Belichick has been masterful at playing up, and dealing back up QBs. The fact he couldn't trade him should tell you something.

The Rams cut Nick Foles,  the chiefs declined a second year option on Foles as well.    Guess what he did the following year

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Rams cut Nick Foles,  the chiefs declined a second year option on Foles as well.    Guess what he did the following year

Actually the Rams traded a 4th to the Eagles to get Foles in the first place. So the Eagles let him go twice too (traded not cut). So his best years were with the Eagles, who let him go twice.