Indianapolis Colts
Lucky Wolf

Chad Kelly decision today?

So there was not a team in the NFL who thought he was worth picking up for nothing either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Myles said:

So there was not a team in the NFL who thought he was worth picking up for nothing either.

Yup.  Wow.

I'm a bit surprised because he showed some promise in the preseason.  

He'll be signed to the practice squad.  When Ballard does these things he's usually right.

Nobody claimed him so just sit back and wait on the notice of him being signed to the PS.

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They were like he is the best QB since Joe Montana

Now they're like. 

PeacefulFlakyCottontail-size_restricted.

Freaking perfect. God it's funny watching folks scream from their soapbox....and then change the rhetoric when that view becomes exposed. 

It helps to just relax and not get so bent on pointing fingers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

its-over-its-q96aop.jpg

Was for me, long ago. I predicted the scenario and outcome so many of us here believed would eventually be reality. It came to pass. Now we can move forward, and develop CK properly over time.

• Like 1

So does our PS now outscore our first team in practice?

PS... Italics is sarcasm font

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Was for me, long ago. I predicted the scenario and outcome so many of us here believed would eventually be reality. It came to pass. Now we can move forward, and develop CK properly over time.

Just hope he understand the opportunity presented and doesn't have another knucklehead moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't really know much about Chad Kelly, but Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Russell Wilson was passed by every team in the league until round 2, I think, and at least 6 teams passes on Mahomes, I think. Just because he passed through the waivers does not mean he doesn't have the potential to be a great QB. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Pretty much, hopefully we get a season with him, and while Hoyer's contract is 3 years, I do think we can cut loose next year with no dead cap. 

• Like 2

And the fact that 31 teams didn't claim him for basically free should finally shut down the notion that we could trade Chad Kelly for anyone.  Thank goodness. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Don't really know much about Chad Kelly, but Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, Russell Wilson was passed by every team in the league until round 2, I think, and at least 6 teams passes on Mahomes, I think. Just because he passed through the waivers does not mean he doesn't have the potential to be a great QB. 

But that's what it means almost always.  Don't know what the odds are, but they're far less than QBs selected in later rounds as opposed to being mr irrelevant and getting cut from two teams.  Is there even an example that comes close to that?

I didn't think he'd clear wavers especially with the QB situation in the league right now.

Glad he cleared waivers.  Time to move forward.

NEXT!

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I sort of predicted that yesterday. Not sure teams are comfortable with Kelly - yet. 

So the entire NFL looked at this guy and thought, "No, it wouldn't be worth signing him for literally zero." If I'm the Saints, Steelers, Jets, Jags, etc, I'm jumping all over this guy. Who the hell is the Jets qb now anyway?

Oh well, better for us I guess

• Like 2

Now get him as familiar as possible to our offensive playbook and system...……………………………………………………..JUST IN CASE ! ………..GO COLTS !!!!!

7 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

So the entire NFL looked at this guy and thought, "No, it wouldn't be worth signing him for literally zero." If I'm the Saints, Steelers, Jets, Jags, etc, I'm jumping all over this guy. Who the hell is the Jets qb now anyway?

NYJ-Luke Falk and David Fales

Jim Kelly (occasionally) starts participating in Colts practices working with Jacoby and Chad ?

4 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Jim Kelly (occasionally) starts participating in Colts practices working with Jacoby and Chad ?

He is far more important things to worry about

• Like 2

The way I understand the practice squad is if a team wants to sign him now he has to be on their roster for at least 3 maybe 4 games.  I don't know the number.  If he does get the offer he could take it, if he so choses, to Ballard to see if he would like to keep him and put him on the Colts roster.  Theoretically Ballard could still have the opportunity to keep him if he and Kelly agree and they think it's good for both parties.  Just another chapter in the Chad Kelly story.   

56 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just hope he understand the opportunity presented and doesn't have another knucklehead moment.

I honestly don't think it matters, IMO Kelly's the new Philip Walker. And barring injury, Jacoby is the starter for the remainder of this year, no matter what. If, upon evaluation after the season, they feel Brissett isn't the long term answer, I fully expect that they'll draft someone.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I honestly don't think it matters, IMO Kelly's the new Philip Walker. And barring injury, Jacoby is the starter for the remainder of this year, no matter what. If, upon evaluation after the season, they feel Brissett isn't the long term answer, I fully expect that they'll draft someone.

stranger things have happened.

51 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

@Lennon1940 and his brothers on here when finding out not one team wanted Chad Kelly on their active roster

rage GIF

Why would I be upset? I want him on the Colts. I’m not a Giants or a Jets fan.

The Jets & Steelers were the only two possibilities. But with either he’d be behind in getting to know their playbooks.  With the Jets, they have their young starting QB.  So no real starting future there. They still could double back in a week or two but I think it was a situation that Kelly would have struggled in & possibly been his last opportunity after failing. 

The Steelers would have had the same playbook problems as the Jets but Ben is definitely out for a year & Rudolph may not be the answer. A much better opportunity in my opinion. Still would have been hard for Kelly to beat Rudolph out with no TC though. 

The best thing for CK is to stay on our practice squad & learn & master the playbook. Pick JB & Hoyer’s brains.  Keep working.  My biggest fear with CK isn’t his talent but his off field choices. Even if he was the starter now I can see either success or failure causing him to mess up.  He needs a year of learning & maturing.  

Then come out next year lighting things up.  Show Frank & CB he’s ready for the QB1 or QB2 job.  Putting up good numbers vs 2nd, 3rd, or no string players (running vanilla defenses) wasn’t proof enough.  A year learning & maturing is just what he needs.  Glad we got to keep him.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Or perhaps the NFL teams who needed QB’s on the waiver wire already got theirs before Wednesday afternoon when Kelly was put on the wire?

And thank god they did. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Oh dear... the horror   ;)

I believe he knows, can he abide though...

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The way I understand the practice squad is if a team wants to sign him now he has to be on their roster for at least 3 maybe 4 games.  I don't know the number.  If he does get the offer he could take it, if he so choses, to Ballard to see if he would like to keep him and put him on the Colts roster.  Theoretically Ballard could still have the opportunity to keep him if he and Kelly agree and they think it's good for both parties.  Just another chapter in the Chad Kelly story.   

Any team can sign him at any time. However, the player can let his current team know, and they thwart the action by activating him to their squad, if desired. If not, and another team signs him, they have to cut a player off their 53 man roster to add him.  They also have to pay the signed PS guy 3 NFL checks, minimum (NFL type pay, not PS pay); even if they end up cutting the signed PS guy at any time before the 3 weeks are up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Or perhaps the NFL teams who needed QB’s on the waiver wire already got theirs before Wednesday afternoon when Kelly was put on the wire?

And thank god they did. 

the a team 80s GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

That is what scared everyone off.

These GMs love to play it safe...take no risks...just keep doing their safe jobs.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

They were like he is the best QB since Joe Montana

Now they're like. 

PeacefulFlakyCottontail-size_restricted.

Joe Montana? 

I’ve said I think he’s a better quarterback than JB, not better than any other starting QB in the league. I will still maintain that opinion. JB has never kicked anyone’s butt by himself at any level except high school probably. 

Kelly has the more elite skill set and the higher ceiling. I’m still unclear how some of you fail to see that. JB is a better leader, better person, and is seemingly much smarter, which is why he and Kelly are sitting where they are right now. 

JB isn’t the answer. By god I wish he was because that means we’d be dominating. But he just isn’t.  Eventually when teams start stacking the box against us and dare our mediocre QB to beat them through the air, JB being unable to impose his will on defenses is going to kill us.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1