Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

I thought CK looked good in the preseason... and I'm not talking about his stats, I don't even know his stats.  But in the preseason he showed good decision making, has a fast release, very accurate on all levels and has good velocity on his throws.  He also showed some problems; he has trouble throwing to the left, especially in the mid-range 8-12 yards, sometimes he tries to put too much touch on throws that make them easier to intercept.

I thought the Colts would keep him and perhaps they will still sign him to the practice squad.  Either way, I don't think Kelly is/was every considered the future franchise QB of the Colts or any other team.  He does still have too many holes in his game

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

shocked brady would say good stuff about his buddy...

wonder why Belichick would draft someone to replace, and then cut, such a great QB.

Seriously?

- Brady has a limited number of years left.  Maybe 2-3.  Maybe 1.  Or he could end up Roethlisbergered.  Nobody knows.  They just know his time is very limited.

- As such, the Pats have to be at least as concerned about finding Brady’s successor as having a workable backup.  That’s why they drafted Stidham.

- Brian Hoyer isn’t going to be anybody’s plan for a permanent starter.  That’s not why he was there, it’s not why he’s here.

- The Pats clearly felt good enough about Stidham to put him in a backup role while continuing to develop as a potential future starter.  So they didn’t feel obligated to keep 3 QBs.

- All this being said, are you suggesting that, unless they cut the QB they just drafted to be TB’s heir apparent instead of Hoyer that they must think Hoyer stinks?

- Are you interested in joining a fantasy league?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I made a comment earlier, and got a million replies (which I replied too). I guess it triggered a bunch of folks like you. but keep on sunshine pumping. we know all front offices and all coaches are always correct. thank you opinion/post police....

The only ones triggered here are Kelly fans... 

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Very different situations. CK has behavioral flags. Hoyer has performance flags. 

It will be interesting how it all shakes out this year. Hope JB stays healthy and kills it.

But no team in the NFL was willing to trade for either one.   If you hold that against Hoyer, you have to hold it against Kelly too.   Especially at this specific time where starting QB's are going down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Seriously?

- Brady has a limited number of years left.  Maybe 2-3.  Maybe 1.  Or he could end up Roethlisbergered.  Nobody knows.  They just know his time is very limited.

- As such, the Pats have to be at least as concerned about finding Brady’s successor as having a workable backup.  That’s why they drafted Stidham.

- Brian Hoyer isn’t going to be anybody’s plan for a permanent starter.  That’s not why he was there, it’s not why he’s here.

- The Pats clearly felt good enough about Stidham to put him in a backup role while continuing to develop as a potential future starter.  So they didn’t feel obligated to keep 3 QBs.

- All this being said, are you suggesting that, unless they cut the QB they just drafted to be TB’s heir apparent instead of Hoyer that they must think Hoyer stinks?

- Are you interested in joining a fantasy league?

My response was sarcasm (why would he be cut), and in response to a long train of folks suggesting Hoyer isn't mediocre.

That said,

Belichick has drafted a lot of QBs over the years, and has done pretty good in dealing them after, or close to after their rookie contracts given their draft positions. They've said the same thing (Brady's successor) for the last 10 years, especially about Mallet, Garoppolo, and Brissett. Since Brady was drafted in 2010, Belichick has drafted 10 QBs... that's one every 2 years. And that doesn't count FA guys they've cycled in an out. Has any other team drafted than many over the last 20 years, last 10 years?

2019 Stidham (4th) - current back up

2018 Etling (7th) - waived

2016 Brissett (3rd) - Was 3rd on the depth chart, then traded for a 1st round drafted WR

2014 Garoppolo (2nd) - Kept over JB, then traded to SF, for a second

2011 Ryan Mallet (3rd) - traded for a 6th

2010 Zach Robinson (7th) - eventually waived

2008 Kevin O'Connell (3rd) - eventually waived

2005 Matt Cassell (7th) - traded for the 34th overall pick

2003 Kliff Kingsbury (6th) - eventually waived

2002 Rohan Davy (4th) - eventually waived

19 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The only ones triggered here are Kelly fans... 

200.gif

nah, it seems any time someone suggest that JB might not be the answer, or the FO makes a bad decision, some folks get truly triggered. 

there is no factual info on the topic. it's all speculation and opinion. some just feel it's not OK to question things.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, EastStreet said:

nah, it seems any time someone suggest that JB might not be the answer, or the FO makes a bad decision, some folks get truly triggered. 

there is no factual info on the topic. it's all speculation and opinion. some just feel it's not OK to question things.

There is no decision... JB is the qb this year. Period. Did they have a choice? No. Chad Kelly is not an option... so get over it. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My response was sarcasm (why would he be cut), and in response to a long train of folks suggesting Hoyer isn't mediocre.

Who said Hoyer wasn't mediocre.   He's below average to average as a starter, but he is a good option as a backup.  He is what he is and the team knows what they have in him.   On a year your team is trying to make a playoff push, the known is better than the unknown.  

6 hours ago, ScotColt said:

As for this whole Hoyer being a mentor discussion... I don't really get it, hoyer isn't exactly a QB to look up to I wouldn't have thought and surely it's the coaches job to sort of mentor/coach players lol. As someone mentioned JB has had 3 years under Brady and Luck, I'm not convinced he is gonna need the mentorship of Brian Hoyer, especially as JB is a known team leader already.

Read this-

“He always provided great insight, great leadership. It’s very difficult to see your friends get released. That was really no different,” said Brady. “It’s part of what happens in the NFL. I’ll never get used to it. But I know any team Brian’s on, is a better team for having him. Indy’s got a great quarterback in having Brian there.

Quote from TB12.   There's more-

"He just brought a great positive energy to the team. He was always optimistic. I think there were times for me when I’d get frustrated, or I’d get down, or disappointed in things that happened, and he’d try to bring me back to center pretty quickly. I loved the relationship I had with him. It will certainly continue on."   yup, TB12 again.

"He added so much to our meeting room. I had so much trust and confidence in the things that he saw. He also had been exposed to a lot of different offensive systems so he brought some different knowledge — how people ran different offenses and so forth. He always provided great insight and great leadership."     From TB12 himself, again.

If a QB did not ever need support, it would be that guy, the (very likely) greatest QB to ever play.  And yet, there it is straight from his mouth.  JB can use that type support right now.  CB gave it to him.  At some point (especially if CK makes the P.S.) Hoyer would be obstructing development of a young QB and moved.  But let's build and cross that bridge when we get to the river, not build that bridge now while still driving on the road.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

But no team in the NFL was willing to trade for either one.   If you hold that against Hoyer, you have to hold it against Kelly too.   Especially at this specific time where starting QB's are going down.

I don't disagree. I've said several times that I'm perfectly fine with Hoyer as a mentor. I'm just not fine with as a back up should JB get hurt, or not work out. I see Kelly as project with a high ceiling and would have preferred to keep both. We'll be lucky if we can keep him on the PS. 

• Like 1

Just now, EastStreet said:

I don't disagree. I've said several times that I'm perfectly fine with Hoyer as a mentor. I'm just not fine with as a back up should JB get hurt, or not work out. I see Kelly as project with a high ceiling and would have preferred to keep both. We'll be lucky if we can keep him on the PS. 

Get ready for Practice Squad Musical Chairs, again.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If we are at or above .500 I'd prefer Hoyer.   If the season is lost, I would want Kelly for sure.   

Similar to the Giants issues right now.   They started with Eli (Hoyer), but seen how bad the season started.   It would be a lost cause to go with Eli when you know he isn't very good.   might as well find out what Jones (Kelly) brings to the field.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

Who said Hoyer wasn't mediocre.   He's below average to average as a starter, but he is a good option as a backup.  He is what he is and the team knows what they have in him.   On a year your team is trying to make a playoff push, the known is better than the unknown.  

if you look back through the thread, several have defended his performance.... 

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

If we are at or above .500 I'd prefer Hoyer.   If the season is lost, I would want Kelly for sure.   

Similar to the Giants issues right now.   They started with Eli (Hoyer), but seen how bad the season started.   It would be a lost cause to go with Eli when you know he isn't very good.   might as well find out what Jones (Kelly) brings to the field.  

I agree somewhat. I'd almost prefer Kelly if we are .500 as I think he looked to have command of our O even if it was a vanilla playbook. He simply moved the chains. Hoyer on the other hand I think would be frustrating as hell to watch. I guess it would depend on how long JB was going to be out. If we're on the cusp on a playoff birth, Hoyer to me isn't going to win a playoff game anyway.

I love the thought of Hoyer being a good team guy and helping with the game plan and film, I just cringe however thinking about rolling with him into the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I agree somewhat. I'd almost prefer Kelly if we are .500 as I think he looked to have command of our O even if it was a vanilla playbook. He simply moved the chains. Hoyer on the other hand I think would be frustrating as hell to watch. I guess it would depend on how long JB was going to be out. If we're on the cusp on a playoff birth, Hoyer to me isn't going to win a playoff game anyway.

I love the thought of Hoyer being a good team guy and helping with the game plan and film, I just cringe however thinking about rolling with him into the playoffs.

Command of our o. There is no way to tell that from the preseason games. Lol

• Like 2

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Command of our o. There is no way to tell that from the preseason games. Lol

I did say vanilla playbook. he looked 100x better than Walker who's been in the system for 2+ years. he also looked better in the preseason compared to JB's preseason last year. And what's the point of preseason if it's not to gauge command of the plays they are asked to run? Did he move the offense and execute well on what he was asked to do? Yes.

you can only compare what there is to compare.

10 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

this decision was dumb. jacoby is at best a back up, a solid one at that. Kelly has that it factor. He is going to be good for somebody. Everybody preaches second chances. Ray Lewis was the poster child about second chances. Im just not exited about the qb position. 

He has the IT factor alright.      That's why teams are just lining up to sign him

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

this decision was dumb. jacoby is at best a back up, a solid one at that. Kelly has that it factor. He is going to be good for somebody. Everybody preaches second chances. Ray Lewis was the poster child about second chances. Im just not exited about the qb position. 

Every coach and GM in the NFL disagrees with you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

With the team around him, Hoyer wouldn't have to do as much.  If we were pushing for the playoffs, an experienced Hoyer would be the easy choice over a QB who has never played a down in the NFL.   When Hoyer played on Houston, I think it could be comparable.  Houston had a good "D" and a good running game like the Colts currently do.  He went 5-4, 61% completion%, 19TD's 7INT's with a 91 passer rating.    Not great, but good for your backup QB.   

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

With the team around him, Hoyer wouldn't have to do as much.  If we were pushing for the playoffs, an experienced Hoyer would be the easy choice over a QB who has never played a down in the NFL.   When Hoyer played on Houston, I think it could be comparable.  Houston had a good "D" and a good running game like the Colts currently do.  He went 5-4, 61% completion%, 19TD's 7INT's with a 91 passer rating.    Not great, but good for your backup QB.   

In his year with Houston in 2015, he started their playoff game.

His completion % was 44%. He threw 4 INTs and zero TDs.

Lost at home to KC 30-0 IIRC....

That's why I said I'd rather take the chance with a high ceiling guy than muddle through some regular season games and get pounded in the playoffs. 

It all depend on the situation. Personally, I don't want to get stuck in the mediocre space. 

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Another one that is a qb in the NFL

Not enough room for a post that long. Some get caught, some don't. Some get publicized some don't. Some were drunk when they were on the field. Some had the team cover for them more so in college. Deny it? Go ahead. 

48 minutes ago, Myles said:

Every coach and GM in the NFL disagrees with you.

And that has very little, if anything, to do with talent or football skill. Teams simply can’t trust him at this point. You can’t have someone untrustworthy off the field as your QB. I’m obviously an enormous Kelly homer but I understand that’s the reality of what he’s facing.

He can absolutely ball. Anyone who watches football can watch the guy lead an offense and see what he’s capable of. He’s been an outstanding QB at every level that he’s ever been able to get on the field. Balled out in high school, JUCO, college, and preseason NFL.

Teams just can’t trust a guy with his history and it’s understandable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

And that has very little, if anything, to do with talent or football skill. Teams simply can’t trust him at this point. You can’t have someone untrustworthy off the field as your QB. I’m obviously an enormous Kelly homer but I understand that’s the reality of what he’s facing.

He can absolutely ball. Anyone who watches football can watch the guy lead an offense and see what he’s capable of. He’s been an outstanding QB at every level that he’s ever been able to get on the field. Balled out in high school, JUCO, college, and preseason NFL.

Teams just can’t trust a guy with his history and it’s understandable.

I buy into some of that, but that is not all.   There are many players on teams that have done worse but it is overlooked because of their talent.  Apparently there are no coaches or GM's who this Kelly has the talent to overcome a misdemeanor that already had the punishment served.    

2 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

lets just hold on to leftwich for a couple of years. It cost Del Rio his job.

Patience! The Colts are 2 games into the season and should be 2-0. JB has not been in a position yet, where he has to put the team on his back and win one. I think he will need to ball out against the Chiefs. The Colts most likely, won’t be able to put 150 up on the ground week after week, and that’s when Brissett will need to step up.