Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

2 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

this decision was dumb. jacoby is at best a back up, a solid one at that. Kelly has that it factor. He is going to be good for somebody. Everybody preaches second chances. Ray Lewis was the poster child about second chances. Im just not exited about the qb position. 

You're literally saying you know more than the GM and the HC.    You think the guy they cut yesterday with hopes to re-sign him to the PS today is not just better than the back-up,  he's better than the starting quarterback.

You think our 3rd string is better than our 1st string.     Right now.     

Goodness,  this is a terrible take for you......      you're a much better poster than this......

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Were those players QB's though? You can hide a talented DE who is a thug with a troubled past. You can't hide a QB from the media spotlight though. 

Sure some QB's are in that group.   But that also brings up that the QB is the most important position on the team and if the other NFL teams thought Kelly had starter talent, they would certainly overlook a misdemeanor and sign him or trade for him to have on their roster. 

I'm sure we don't know everything, but teams (including the Colts) don't feel he is as good as he looked in a couple preseason games against 3rd stringers.  Stat-wise he really didn't have a great preseason.   

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I hope. I know the reports said that the FO expects him to clear, but honestly I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does.

I'm expecting him to sign on the Colts P.S. after 4:00 pm. 

However, if he gets picked up, I want to know what player that made a teams 53 man roster gets cut.  Is he a better player than #53 on the Colts roster?  If the guy was a vested vet on the roster for game 1, his salary for the year is guaranteed and must be paid by the team that cut him, even though he is a FA again. I'd be interested in (essentially trading a PS QB for) a vet that is already paid and may better than our worst 53 man player (Rolan Milligan?)

Or release a young developing player on to the waiver wire.  Either of those for a QB that has no game experience, doesn't know the playbook, and has no reps with his team mates.

We'll see.

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm expecting him to sign on the Colts P.S. after 4:00 pm. 

However, if he gets picked up, I want to know what player that made a teams 53 man roster gets cut.  Is he a better player than #53 on the Colts roster?  If the guy was a vested vet on the roster for game 1, his salary for the year is guaranteed and must be paid by the team that cut him, even though he is a FA again. I'd be interested in (essentially trading a PS QB for) a vet that is already paid and may better than our worst 53 man player (Rolan Milligan?)

Or release a young developing player on to the waiver wire.  Either of those for a QB that has no game experience, doesn't know the playbook, and has no reps with his team mates.

We'll see.

It'll be interesting.

23 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

NE will sign him at 3:59:59.:woah:

Wow!! Then who does Belichick cut to make room?  !!  :headspin:  !!

{of course, our members know all teams interested submit their waiver claims in to the NFL. The NFL just awards rights to the first team on the waiver claim list  when the deadline arrives. All other claims become null and void}

The levels of polarity on show here on all sides are as usual at best amusing, at times alarming. 

As it's become a catch all discussion on the Colts QB situation I'll weigh in with my opinions, and these are strictly personal opinion, I don't hold them up as being right or wrong. 

I don't think Brissett is in the realms of say a Luck/Newton (highly touted draft talent), nor do I suspect he will turn out to be a Wilson/Mahomes (not high on draft boards but developed/had elite talent), but I do think he can be a solid starting QB. Enough to win with certainly, and his arm talent/strength is somewhat overlooked. I don't think he'll ever give you gaudy numbers, but I also don't think he will throw games away. He may end up being like Prescott (touted as nothing more than a game manager) who with the right coaching and scheme can start to look like a legit top 10 QB. I like what I see in terms of personality, and I do think he has what it takes to lead a team. 

Hoyer is well Brian Hoyer. Solid backup, could win game with a good supporting cast and conservative play calling over a short span. Isn't going to be the guy, but will be a good team mate and good film room guy. Wealth of experience in the league. Think Matt Hasselbeck. Yes the Patriots let him go, but they think they've got a guy they can develop to take over the throne. Rumour also had it they let him go to test the market in the hope of getting him back on a reduced salary. 

Kelly certainly flashed, and certainly has ability, but I don't think he's such a good prospect you bet the farm on him. Attitude issues aside, he's yet to show us he can do it in a real NFL game. The coaching staff have had a much better look at him and will at least have a good idea where he currently is. If he really look a legit franchise QB right now do you think there's anyway he'd have been let out that door? I'd have been good keeping him on the roster, but I'm also not going to call for heads to roll if he doesn't clear waivers. 

Remember, a lot of this is the product of a very unexpected situation, the FO had to make the best of a pretty unique and unusual issue. 

Not really sure how we've stretched out to 17 pages talking about a 3rd stringer QB...

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Brady. Kelly goes on to win 10 straight SBs under first BB, and then McDaniels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Brady. Kelly goes on to win 10 straight SBs under first BB, and then McDaniels. 

rotflmao Then becomes Colts backup to JB.  Later, Ballard signs Eli to be QB3.  Mentoring complete.  Training complete. JB becomes a Master Jedi...

intro.jpg

• Haha 1

Mod Note 

Although this seems to be quite an emotive topic can we try and tone down the personal bickering between posters. If you want to say mean things to each other then please do it via your own arrangements so we don't all have to be subjected to it. 

Posts have been removed, names have been taken. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm sure we don't know everything, but teams (including the Colts) don't feel he is as good as he looked in a couple preseason games against 3rd stringers.  Stat-wise he really didn't have a great preseason.

He had THE highest completion percentage of any QB in the preseason minimum 40 attempts at 74.0%

Tied for the 3rd most TD's this preseason

He had the 4th most total yards of any player this preseason

He had the 5th most 1st downs this preseason

He had the 10th highest QBR minimum 40 attempts this preseason

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

He had THE highest completion percentage of any QB in the preseason minimum 40 attempts at 74.0%

Wow.     No wonder teams are falling over themselves to sign him

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

2 td's vs 2 INT's.    I'll admit I was a bit wrong on his stats, but remember who he was playing against.    

I hope he clears waivers and we pick him up, but no NFL team thought he was worth even a 7th round pick.

Just now, Myles said:

but no NFL team thought he was worth even a 7th round pick.

Well maybe if he had been first in all of those categories...

His attitude and past are his detriment, not his playing ability. The FO was also clever enough to not place him on waivers until most teams had already set their rosters for the week. You really think the Steelers would have still picked Paxton Lynch over Kelly if Kelly had been on the waiver wire at the time? No way in hell. Lynch is abysmal beyond measure. 

12 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Which puts him right up there with the other pre season QB leaders:

Ryan Griffin, Jarrett Stidham, Joe Webb III, Tyler Bray, Logan Woodside, Trace McSorley, Mike Glennon, Nathan Peterman, and on and on.

I like Kelly. I hope we keep him. But to quote pre season stats is not the right argument.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Which puts him right up there with the other pre season QB leaders:

Ryan Griffin, Jarrett Stidham, Joe Webb III, Tyler Bray, Logan Woodside, Trace McSorley, Mike Glennon, Nathan Peterman, and on and on.

I like Kelly. I hope we keep him. But to quote pre season stats is not the right argument.

I was simply refuting someone’s statement that his preseason stats weren’t great.

I don’t need preseason stats to back up my belief that he’s legit, so you’re correct, that wouldn’t be the right argument in his favor.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

His attitude and past are his detriment, not his playing ability. The FO was also clever enough to not place him on waivers until most teams had already set their rosters for the week. You really think the Steelers would have still picked Paxton Lynch over Kelly if Kelly had been on the waiver wire at the time? No way in hell. Lynch is abysmal beyond measure. 

Still, no team was willing to part with a 7th round pick for him.  

33 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

This was really clever, or you could call it selfish or callous, whatever you want to call it.

Jets had also signed another QB just before they waived Kelly. I think they were waiting on a few dominoes to fall before they made their move. Now, if they do not add him back to the PS, then the timing of how things transpired would not make sense. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This was really clever, or you could call it selfish or callous, whatever you want to call it.

Jets had also signed another QB just before they waived Kelly. I think they were waiting on a few dominoes to fall before they made their move. Now, if they do not add him back to the PS, then the timing of how things transpired would not make sense. 

agreed, we'll know in 45 minutes

1 hour ago, Lennon1940 said:

Lynch is on the Steelers practice squad.    He isn't on the 53

• Thanks 1