Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

51 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

You can never compare different generations 

He was the 1st Baseman of the 40s and 50s not to mention his Managerial career

I know of three communities and a multiple fan bases that beg to differ on him

Actually you can compare different generations using WAR. His 44.8 WAR would by far and away be the lowest for a HOF first baseman. Perez is currently the lowest with 54.0.

None of his Top 10 similarity scores are HOFers either.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hodgegi01.shtml

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We still may go 8-8 but I see it differently after these 1st 2 weeks. Both games had me on the edge of my seat and I thought Brissett at least played middle of the pack football. Far better than a bottom 5 QB. Lets see what he does against Atlanta. We could easily be 2-0 but 1-1 is fine for now.

The only reason people are high on Brissett are his 5 tds through 2 games, which makes his stats and QB rating look better. He threw under 200 yards against the Chargers and under 150 yards Vs the Titans. His only positive was that he completed drives for TDs, but Mack could of done the same for us and Brissett got the rub from the TD stat.

3 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Actually you can compare different generations using WAR. His 44.8 WAR would by far and away be the lowest for a HOF first baseman. Perez is currently the lowest with 54.0.

None of his Top 10 similarity scores are HOFers either.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hodgegi01.shtml

mash up nod GIFI know his stats I go by a stadium named for him daily

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The only reason people are high on Brissett are his 5 tds through 2 games, which makes his stats and QB rating look better. He threw under 200 yards against the Chargers and under 150 yards Vs the Titans. His only positive was that he completed drives for TDs, but Mack could of done the same for us and Brissett got the rub from the TD stat.

Brissett didn't have to throw for a lot of yards because we ran the ball well and got a lot of yards that way. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The use of the word “only” makes your argument faulty and worthless 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We were running like crazy. Why does a team have to have passing yards when the run game is going so well. You take what a team gives you. If you win that is all that matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Brissett didn't have to throw for a lot of yards because we ran the ball well and got a lot of yards that way. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Brissett has ever had a 300 yard game. We have the exact opposite problem now, used to be Luck and a garbage team to a solid team and no QB. Either way, it'll be impossible to beat KC and NE.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

You know who else balled out.   Johnny Football.    Kelly is an entitled punk and has been since high school.   There is zero info that he is willing to do the work do be an NFL qb.   If you want to look foolish and call Chris Ballard's skills in evaluating talent,   be my guest.   But zero teams were willing to trade for him.   That tells the story

Kelly, by all accounts of CB, has been a model citizen and done everything that has been asked of him. A man can, and often does, change for the better with a wake up call. Time will be he judge here but I think you calling him the entitled punk is a bit uncalled for at this point. 

31 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard may know he can get Kelly on the practice squad, but this whole QB thing is really bad now. We may lose Kelly, Hoyer is complete garbage if he has to start, and I'm quickly becoming disinterested in the Colts with Brissett as QB. Not Ballard's fault at all, but I would think we would have to draft a QB next year in the 1st or 2nd round.

I’d say if cb couldn’t get a 7 Th for the kid and expects he could get him back on the ps, I think at that point, if another team comes later in the season to poach him, we will have a better idea of what JB really is with this team. CB can choose to let CK walk or offer him a 53 spot also depending on the timing and progress if JB. CK will no doubt be 50X better than having the yo-yo we’ve had off and on the ps for a few years now.  

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Brissett has ever had a 300 yard game. We have the exact opposite problem now, used to be Luck and a garbage team to a solid team and no QB. Either way, it'll be impossible to beat KC and NE.

Beating KC or NE doesn’t make a season

No Matter what @2006Coltsbestever and others will still be fans

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He has had two, thanks to a 63 yd Hilton catch in one game and another 80 yard Hilton catch in another. He only ever had 1 in college. He's many things, but a prolific passer he is most certainly not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Those 2 teams are on a different level right now. I am just focused on making the playoffs. We would not beat those 2 teams with Chad Kelly either IMO. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We were running like crazy. Why does a team have to have passing yards when the run game is going so well. You take what a team gives you. If you win that is all that matters.

Mack struggled in the 2nd game and Brissett threw for 146 yards, our run game wasn't good besides the wilkins 55 yard run, and Brissett couldn't move the ball when the run game struggled. We were just fortunate we scored td's on the only 3 scoring drives all day.

Just now, Lennon1940 said:

He has had two, thanks to a 63 yd Hilton catch in one game and another 80 yard Hilton catch in another. He only ever had 1 in college. He's many things, but a prolific passer he is most certainly not. 

Yet he is played in the D1 and is still playing in the NFL

So he has something and I don’t believe it is dirt on CB

Mack struggled in the 2nd game and Brissett threw for 146 yards, our run game wasn't good besides the wilkins 55 yard run, and Brissett couldn't move the ball when the run game struggled. We were just fortunate we scored td's on the only 3 scoring drives all day.

That is all that matters

This is not Madden or a Fantasy League

• Like 2

Hope we get Kelly on the PS, however we’ll see if he makes it past the QB needy teams out there.

With respect to keeping Hoyer over Kelly, I imagine the rationale in keeping Hoyer is to have the elder QB to help be a player-coach for Brissett; sort of like Hasselbeck was with Luck.

Alternatively it’s interesting to think if  we would’ve signed the best available practice squad QB to be backup QB while Kelly served his 2 game suspension. At that point promote Kelly and move signed backup to the PS. I generally agree that, while he was well regarded by Belichick, I would not want Hoyer to start any games for us; and with him starting we are drafting early or most certainly mediocre. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Those 2 teams are on a different level right now. I am just focused on making the playoffs. We would not beat those 2 teams with Chad Kelly either IMO. 

I agree, but if we lose Kelly, we lose insurance if Brissett busts and we have to spend an early round pick on a QB. Kelly is an option without using a draft pick.

• Like 1

I agree, but if we lose Kelly, we lose insurance if Brissett busts and we have to spend an early round pick on a QB. Kelly is an option without using a draft pick.

If Brissett busts I would prefer to pick a QB in the 1st or 2nd round over having Kelly. I like Kelly but i never thought Kelly could be a franchise QB though like some do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Brissett busts I would prefer to pick a QB in the 1st or 2nd round over having Kelly. I like Kelly but i never thought Kelly could be a franchise QB though like some do.

I would too, but Kelly is free insurance still. Never can have enough QB's with upside in a battle when trying to find a starter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Patty is great but he doesn’t carry that team and I never miss a KC game on TV/Radio

They have 0 run game (especially Vs the Raiders). Mahomes did and does everything for them. He put up 40 Vs NE and nearly beat them in the AFC Championship. All he needs is an average defense.

So far so good for JB.  Risky move by CB in my opinion.  Hoyer might be a great clipboard guy but I have no faith in him taking this team anywhere if Jacoby goes down.  I've been in the Kelly corner since watching him in the pre season games, this kid has talent, and a future in my opinion.

I love our coaching staff, owner, and gm, but I honestly think Ballard jumped the gun on the the Hoyer deal.  Roll the dice, bet on Jacoby not injured in the first 2 games, but then again, I aint got no skin in the game. 

1 minute ago, ojsglove said:

So far so good for JB.  Risky move by CB in my opinion.  Hoyer might be a great clipboard guy but I have no faith in him taking this team anywhere if Jacoby goes down.  I've been in the Kelly corner since watching him in the pre season games, this kid has talent, and a future in my opinion.

I love our coaching staff, owner, and gm, but I honestly think Ballard jumped the gun on the the Hoyer deal.  Roll the dice, bet on Jacoby not injured in the first 2 games, but then again, I aint got no skin in the game. 

On the field play only gets you so far in the NFL