Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

To all the Malik Hooker haters

colt18

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

Now do you see why we missed Hooker so much last season? It’s insane how many of you were ignorant of his impact on this defense...

Nuts.  The Chargers moved the ball at will, in part, because good NFL offenses don't rely upon the deep ball like they used to, so there is not much need to invest much capital in a ball hawking centerfielder.  That player is only a bit more impactful as Farley.  

And at the moment the pic took place, I noticed that Rivers threw the ball late.  Of course, the actual professional commentators were a bit behind me in noticing that, but I'm glad they pointed it out.

Great catch (maybe lucky one handed snatch?).  Few would make that play.  And it gave us a chance to win.  Kudos. But its pretty much a standard fact that if a QB waits too long to throw the ball in a crowded middle part of the field, an interception is not uncommon.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Nuts.  The Chargers moved the ball at will, in part, because good NFL offenses don't rely upon the deep ball like they used to, so there is not much need to invest much capital in a ball hawking centerfielder.  That player is only a bit more impactful as Farley.  

And at the moment the pic took place, I noticed that Rivers threw the ball late.  Of course, the actual professional commentators were a bit behind me in noticing that, but I'm glad they pointed it out.

Great catch (maybe lucky one handed snatch?).  Few would make that play.  And it gave us a chance to win.  Kudos. But its pretty much a standard fact that if a QB waits too long to throw the ball in a crowded middle part of the field, an interception is not uncommon.

Great play by Hooker...everything about it...but also terrible throw by Rivers. He stared down Allen and then threw it late into an area of 4 blue jerseys (I can never get used to seeing that ugly shotput form he has). He had Benjamin in the left flat who would have at least gotten down near the goal line (even if Leonard got him down).

On the point about Ss and deep plays...I think PIT, MIA and WAS would disagree with you. Hooker being there to take away those long plays is big. In theory, it should allow the Colts more flexibility to take away the short and intermediate throws...however...the Colts still can't defend TEs and pass-catching RBs.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It was an outstanding play that shows why Hooker is viewed as an elite talent. Not a perfect throw by Rivers, but it took Hooker flashing from out of the frame to snatch the ball away with one hand to stop a back-breaking TD. This is the type of play that you said he didn't make in 2018 (setting aside his injury recovery). He's a playmaker with insane range and excellent ball skills, and that play shows a sample of those traits.

You're going out of your way to downplay how outstanding that pick was. 

By the way, I was at the game (humblebrag), sitting right behind that end zone (it was great for the pick and the Mack TD, not so great in OT). Hooker made an amazing play. I thought it was a sure TD, and then #29 comes out of nowhere, looking like a superhero. It was a very impressive play by any standard.

Yes.  I said few would make that play. 

Rivers also threw it late.  QBs throw it late down the middle, even the good ones.  You need Ss who can capitalize on it when that happens.  But, IMO, that's not the same thing as being an elite player.

Elite player.  Or elite talent?

Never said he wasn't an elite talent.  What I have said is with the offenses that succeed in the NFL today, an elite deep-ball hawker is less important than it used to be, IMO, so how much draft capital...or future contract money...should you commit.

And that's far from hate, as you know.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Great play by Hooker...everything about it...but also terrible throw by Rivers. He stared down Allen and then threw it late into an area of 4 blue jerseys (I can never get used to seeing that ugly shotput form he has). He had Benjamin in the left flat who would have at least gotten down near the goal line (even if Leonard got him down).

On the point about Ss and deep plays...I think PIT, MIA and WAS would disagree with you. Hooker being there to take away those long plays is big. In theory, it should allow the Colts more flexibility to take away the short and intermediate throws...however...the Colts still can't defend TEs and pass-catching RBs.

As far as I know, MIA and WSH stink, and PIT kinda stinks.  In part, because they have outdated offenses?

As far as I'm concerned, in order to win playoff games in the NFL in modern times...last 5 years....you need to devote all seven back-seven players to stop the short to medium throws, not just 6.

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

?  As far as I know, MIA and WSH stink, and PIT kinda stinks.  Probably because they have outdated offenses?

It's week 1...so I can only definitely say that MIA stinks. But all three of those teams would have benefited tremendously from Malik Hooker being back there on defense. Colts will run into teams that will test the deep ball...and I think we will be glad to have Hooker back there.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's week 1...so I can only definitely say that MIA stinks. But all three of those teams would have benefited tremendously from Malik Hooker being back there on defense. Colts will run into teams that will test the deep ball...and I think we will be glad to have Hooker back there.

That's fine.  In case you  missed my edit.  This is the issue I have with devoting draft capital to the elite skill Hooker possesses. 

As far as I'm concerned, in order to win playoff games in the NFL in modern times...last 5 years....you need to devote all seven back-seven players to stop the short to medium throws, not just 6.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That's fine.  In case you  missed my edit.  This is the issue I have with devoting draft capital to the elite skill Hooker possesses. 

I won't disagree with your last point...but I think that's sort of a scheme issue. Hooker could definitely be a (much needed IMO) asset in the intermediate part of the field. 

I think if you are going to commit a player to the deep zone...you better have another S (or two) that can cover in the base defense and nickel defense...not to mention LBs. This is why I really wanted a guy like Adderley or Savage in the draft...and I hope Tell can eventually be a guy like that (if they move him back to S).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Year 2 removed from a knee injury. I don’t think anyone expected him to be 100% last season and he’s off to a good start in 2019. 

They need to quit taking him out of the game all the rotating safeties and hurt the secondary at various points of this game I get trying to get the rookies involved but some of them don't seem ready for it yet.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I won't disagree with your last point...but I think that's sort of a scheme issue. Hooker could definitely be a (much needed IMO) asset in the intermediate part of the field. 

I think if you are going to commit a player to the deep zone...you better have another S (or two) that can cover in the base defense and nickel defense...not to mention LBs. This is why I really wanted a guy like Adderley or Savage in the draft...and I hope Tell can eventually be a guy like that (if they move him back to S).

And that's part of my beef.  Hooker excels at the scheme that is becoming less important, IMO.  He may be able to be an elite player in all schemes, but nobody has mentioned that has being one of his attributes in the 2.5 years he has been here. 

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes.  I said few would make that play. 

Rivers also threw it late.  QBs throw it late down the middle, even the good ones.  You need Ss who can capitalize on it when that happens.  But, IMO, that's not the same thing as being an elite player.

Elite player.  Or elite talent?

Never said he wasn't an elite talent.  What I have said is with the offenses that succeed in the NFL today, an elite deep-ball hawker is less important than it used to be, IMO, so how much draft capital...or future contract money...should you commit.

And that's far from hate, as you know.

At what point do we stop talking about the draft capital spent three years ago on a playmaker? 

And I haven't called Hooker an elite player, yet. I said he's an elite talent, because he is. That play is evidence. He has to make a lot more plays and continue to do the less obvious things well before he can be considered an elite player.

It's also not really relevant that Rivers threw the ball late. What matters is that Hooker made a game changing play. And it's ironic that when he does so, you immediately focus on the quality of the throw, when you've spent the last eight months pointing out that we spent a first rounder on a safety who didn't have any interceptions last season. It seems less than genuine on your part.

53 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hooker is also good in the red zone and every team makes throws there.

he made a play that saved the season last year too, teams still have to throw it deep when they are in trouble and hooker is great in those situations.  most of his picks will probably come in the end  zone or two minute drills, thats a great guy to have 

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

Meh. Judge the player, not where he was drafted. Those are two different conversations.

The thread is about hate, when, as others pointed out, their hasn't ever been much hate for him expressed, just the questioning of the investment in him.

Can't let Pretend Outrage slide by by just a simple denial with no support.   Gotta explain the whole picture or else they'll just pretend you're lying when you denying it.

2 hours ago, colt18 said:

Now do you see why we missed Hooker so much last season? It’s insane how many of you were ignorant of his impact on this defense...

Did you make a thread just to bait @DougDew into the same tedious Malik Hooker discussion he's been hanging onto for three years now?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Congratulations.  You took the bait, hook-line-and-sinker...

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Did you make a thread just to bait @DougDew into the same tedious Malik Hooker discussion he's been hanging onto for three years now?

Congratulations.  You took the bait, hook-line-and-sinker...

giphy.gif

Golly.  I didn't realize I was so important to this forum, that someone would create an entire thread with me in mind.  I'm honored.

And I'll do whatever I do more often, just for them.  Thanks.

BTW, have you ever pretended to be outraged before?   It kind of seems that way.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The thread is about hate, when, as others pointed out, their hasn't ever been much hate for him expressed, just the questioning of the investment in him.

Can't let Pretend Outrage slide by by just a simple denial with no support.   Gotta explain the whole picture or else they'll just pretend you're lying when you denying it.

The thread is actually about you, as LCF just pointed out.

But all I'm saying is that you come across as disingenuous by downplaying how good that play was yesterday. If you want to know why he was a first round prospect, that play kind of says it all. Your personal viewpoint on whether Hooker is valuable enough to a good defense to warrant his draft status is not universally accepted, and that's a different conversation. It's also a conversation that we should probably move on from, since it's Year 3.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

A bit more impactful than Farley? Farley got cut. 

You want impact? Malik single handedly gave us a chance yesterday. A FG puts the game out of reach. That's about as impactful as it gets.

I think it's ridiculous comments like that who get people riled up. 

• Like 1

Lmao at this thread being about a single person , I don’t post enough to be familiar with a single posters opinion

You cant deny Hookers talent. He gives us a chance against any QB and would’ve greatly helped us against Mahomes last postseason. There’s a lot of posters here who pointed at his lack of interceptions last year as proof of him not being that good, but it’s clear that many of you don’t really understand football. The presence of a ball hawking safety like Hooker is damn near invaluable, check his stats last year QBs don’t try him often and that itself changes the game. If his performance in week 1 against one of the best slingers in the game is indicative of this season, I think he’s on his way to having a great season.

24 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Lmao at this thread being about a single person , I don’t post enough to be familiar with a single posters opinion

Yet you post enough to be aware of "how ignorant" some people are of his impact on our defense, when it's really just one person that keeps trying to downplay Hooker...

tenor.gif

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DougDew said:

BTW, have you ever pretended to be outraged before?   It kind of seems that way.

giphy.gif

Believe me, if I'm outraged, you'll know it.  There will be no pretending.  (Also, there will be a lot more emojis than usual)  :funny:

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And I'll do whatever I do more often, just for them.  Thanks.

I know you will.  You have a history of gnawing on a bone until there's nothing left.  :sigh:

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

oh for crying out loud....

21 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yet you post enough to be aware of "how ignorant" some people are of his impact on our defense, when it's really just one person that keeps trying to downplay Hooker...

tenor.gif

I would’ve tagged him if it was about him.

Calm down.