Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I mean they should have come out firing down the field to Hilton and campbell. The way campbell was used was a joke.

Campbell hasn’t had time to be in the offense and learn it due to all the time he missed.  The coaches said his role would be limited because of it.

• Like 1

First game of the season, on the road, vs a team with two devastating edge rushers, & you guys want us to take more 5 & 7 step drops???  That’s part of what got Luck killed & led to more turnovers & is a recipe for destruction. 

JB is gonna have a great year.  He played a very efficient game.  Frank will open the playbook up in time.  I think he found ways to maximize Cain’s reps in this game (back shoulders).  Now time to figure out Campbell.  Gotta find route combos & formations to get him on linebackers & safeties then exploit his speed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

TY left the ground after he made the catch.  Possession is already established.  Since he's a runner, as long as he doesn't fumble, he's good

Ebron left the ground in the process of making the catch.  If he doesn't survive the ground he never had possession at all and the plane means nothng

This is not rocket science.

As I said, I understand the rules. I just don’t like them.

The plane means everything. The player, in theory can never set foot in the end zone, so long as he hits the pylon, it’s a score. He can then lose the ball and it doesn’t matter. This indicates there is an invisible wall that goes in the front two corners of the end zone. So, once a player catches the ball inside said magic zone and hits the ground in bounds, it should be a score. Bobbling the ball is moot at that point as he has broken the plane with a cleanly possessed catch. I understand for it to be a catch but in the field of play if you are touched mid air and then land down, you are down by contact. The ground cannot cause a fumble.

As I said, they’re too far in the weeds on this one. 

And before you mention rocket science on this one, maybe ask some further questions instead of being rude.

14 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

First game of the season, on the road, vs a team with two devastating edge rushers, & you guys want us to take more 5 & 7 step drops???  That’s part of what got Luck killed & led to more turnovers & is a recipe for destruction. 

I'm all about efficiency. But you still have to create opportunities to go downfield. We didn't even try, all game. 

Brissett was one of the most conservative passers so far in Week 1. Intended yards, depth of target, time to throw, etc. And time to throw is a good thing, because one of my concerns with him is that he doesn't always make quick decisions with the ball, so I'm glad to see him get it out fast and still make plays. But he's gonna have to push the ball down the field to keep the offense moving and scoring. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm all about efficiency. But you still have to create opportunities to go downfield. We didn't even try, all game. 

Brissett was one of the most conservative passers so far in Week 1. Intended yards, depth of target, time to throw, etc. And time to throw is a good thing, because one of my concerns with him is that he doesn't always make quick decisions with the ball, so I'm glad to see him get it out fast and still make plays. But he's gonna have to push the ball down the field to keep the offense moving and scoring. 

Luck has several of those kind of games last year when our running back got going. Throwing it more would of put the chargers offense on the field more and they were already winded. Brissett drove us down field to tie with barely any time left. That is clutch.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree & I think he will.  I just think Frank didn’t want Ingram & Bosa to wreck the game today.  We couldn’t get our running game established early to help set up play action.  And like you said, we’ve got to create those opportunities.  Not force them.  Campbell & Cain would work well in that regard depending on the matchup.  Time to start creating those opportunities by forcing  the defense to give us certain matchups. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I agree & I think he will.  I just think Frank didn’t want Ingram & Bosa to wreck the game today.  We couldn’t get our running game established early to help set up play action.  And like you said, we’ve got to create those opportunities.  Not force them.  Campbell & Cain would work well in that regard depending on the matchup.  Time to start creating those opportunities by forcing e defense to give us certain matchups. 

And then in the second half they had no answer for Mack so the pass became less important.  Like Tom Moore used to say once you find something that works you keep calling it until they stop it.

• Like 2

Brissett is an excellent "game manager" right now. He is very careful with the ball and can still make all the throws. I dont see many limitations he puts on the offense. 

Anyone remember that 60 yard bomb he threw to TY in 2017 against Tenn? He was on a dead run and launched it 60 yards in the air to Hilton and hit him perfectly in stride. The dude has a top notch arm and the guts to make some tremendous throws.

I have a feeling if the coaching staff will give him more freedom he can be much more than that. He made some great throws today. That 4th down to Funch was another gutsy one.

With our weapons combined with a great running game, he should absolutely get more of a chance to go downfield. We had over 200 yards on the ground today and about 400 of total offense, to go with 0 turnovers, against a very good defense on the road. 

I know this was a loss, but I'm not disappointed at all in our guys. I think we are gonna be tough to beat down the stretch, once these guys develop a little more with additional in game experience. And Jacoby is a huge part of that. He built some confidence today, and unlike his first go round, he had a running game and ample time to make plays. 

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Brissett is an excellent "game manager" right now. He is very careful with the ball and can still make all the throws. I dont see many limitations he puts on the offense. 

Anyone remember that 60 yard bomb he threw to TY in 2017 against Tenn? He was on a dead run and launched it 60 yards in the air to Hilton and hit him perfectly in stride. The dude has a top notch arm and the guts to make some tremendous throws.

I have a feeling if the coaching staff will give him more freedom he can be much more than that. He made some great throws today. That 4th down to Funch was another gutsy one.

With our weapons combined with a great running game, he should absolutely get more of a chance to go downfield. We had over 200 yards on the ground today and about 400 of total offense, against a very good defense on the road. 

I know this was a loss, but I'm not disappointed at all in our guys. I think we are gonna be tough to beat down the stretch, once these guys develop a little more with additional in game experience. And Jacoby is a huge part of that. He built some confidence today, and unlike his first go round, he had a running game and ample time to make plays. 

I think we would have seen them go down field at some point in the second half had the Chargers ever been able to stop Mack.  They couldn’t so they just kept running.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I think we would have seen them go down field at some point in the second half had the Chargers ever been able to stop Mack.  They couldn’t so they just kept running.

True, but I think the way Jacoby performed today had to give the coaching staff a great deal of confidence in his ability to handle more responsibility. 

I think they were airing on the side of caution a little too much today, with good reason being it was his first start in over a year. It just seemed to hold us back a bit.

7 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

True, but I think the way Jacoby performed today had to give the coaching staff a great deal of confidence in his ability to handle more responsibility. 

I think they were airing on the side of caution a little too much today, with good reason being it was his first start in over a year. It just seemed to hold us back a bit.

I agree there wasn’t much to be unhappy about out of him.  I think they were cautious to start but again I think they would have opened it up a little in the second half if the run wasn’t working so well.

Brissett was good and he did most of what he was asked to do well. HOWEVER! The type of game he played is not a recipe for success long-term(this is both on him and Reich's playcalling). Just think about it - we beat the Charges 2-0 in takeaways. We ran for 200 yards. We sacked them more than they did us... and we still lost. You need chunk plays to win consistently in this game and our longest pass-play was 22 yards. You need the threat of making long-plays... this will help not just by the mere fact that you will be getting chunk gains but it will also help your run game by allowing for fewer stacked boxes. This one was close and we might have won if Vinny scores one of those FGs... but the game script was all in our favor. All the important indicators were in our favor(except for kicking success) and we still lost. 

I want Reich to release Brissett. I want him to start taking shots and making big-time plays. We need it! And more importantly - we need to know if he can do it long-term, because if he cannot do it, we need to know that by next year's draft. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

It felt like Frank didn't trust him to go deep.   Maybe that's just my impression.   The toss to Funchess. In the endzone that he couldn't bring down was a great pass.  Ebron should have caught the td.  Doyle had one go through his hands and doink off his facemask.   Everyone will get better.   I'm not worried about Jacoby

The pass to Ebron was his best throw of the game.

The pass to Doyle was terrible.  Way too hard for no reason.  Might have scored.

I don’t think the team will be great with Brissett.  They had a leash on him.  I couldn’t understand why they went conservative a couple of times inside the 40.

If they are that afraid of Brissett throwing the ball downfield it’s already time to move on.  With the run game so dominant, it seems like a play action pass or two would have had chances for success,

that at being said.  He guided us to a position to win a tough game.

9 hours ago, ManningGM said:

We just went toe to toe with a Super Bowl contending team....

In THEIR house...... one of at least 5 plays turning out different, would have been a W

We had defensive guys out of place on their long runs, and 3rd and longs they converted

- We will clean that up 

We missed THREE FGs&XP

- We will clean that up (Or Vinnie will need to go)

Campbell will become a bigger factor, as He and Brisset get time together

We ARE a playoff level team, not a SB contender

I put us in top 6

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Kelly would have been destroyed.  He's too raw to survive against a good defense on the road at this point in his career.

Yeah, Kelly would surely be in the hospital crying right now.  It would be like the Colts had just grabbed some guy from a lawnmower repair shed and put him in at QB. 

I see a Head coach trying to figure out who and what he has at QB. Chunk plays are winning plays yet we didnt throw it deep once to force the defense to defend the receivers down field. This game looked to be heading to a blowout in the first half. Marlon Mack single handily kept us in the game and when we needed a miracle Hooker with the interception

of the year.  Though I am not putting all this on the coach.  We have been told JB has  all the checks downs and can use them as needed.  This is who JB is. He is someone who will let the balance of the team carry him forward.  He learned from Brady and I think he took a lot from that relationship. I like everyone else would like to see him open it up but Im not 100 that this is his MO. This is why I believe we are 9-7 team sniffing the playoff but not much more. JB would have to reinvent himself in some ways. I hope he does because he brings everything else to the table. 

1 minute ago, Blindside said:

I see a Head coach trying to figure out who and what he has at QB. Chunk plays are winning plays yet we didnt throw it deep once to force the defense to defend the receivers down field. This game looked to be heading to a blowout in the first half. Marlon Mack single handily kept us in the game and when we needed a miracle Hooker with the interception of the year.  Though I am not putting all this on the coach.  We have been told JB has  all the checks downs and can use them as needed.  This is who JB is. He is someone who will let the balance of the team carry him forward.  He learned from Brady and I think he took a lot from that relationship. I like everyone else would like to see him open it up but Im not 100 that this is his MO. This is why I believe we are 9-7 team sniffing the playoff but not much more. JB would have to reinvent himself in some ways. I hope he does because he brings everything else to the table. 

Looked good.  No complaints.  Looked more like Hasselbeck than Luck, IMO.  Which is fine with me.

I think he will need to try to get big chunk passes, and have success, as the season wears on or else Ds might treat him like hasselbeck and start jumping the short routes.

I don't think he had much opportunity to do that in this SD game because the D couldn't stop Rivers and we couldn't waste any precious possessions trying to hit a home run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Brissett was good and he did most of what he was asked to do well. HOWEVER! The type of game he played is not a recipe for success long-term(this is both on him and Reich's playcalling). Just think about it - we beat the Charges 2-0 in takeaways. We ran for 200 yards. We sacked them more than they did us... and we still lost. You need chunk plays to win consistently in this game and our longest pass-play was 22 yards. You need the threat of making long-plays...

That's pretty much my thinking.

I liked Brissetts efficiency and poise but in the cold light of day we had more things go our way that I originally thought watching the game.

- We won time of possession 

- We won the turnover battle

- We had more sacks

- We had fewer penalties and penalty yards 

- 200+ yard running day

I know Vinatieri had a shocker but when you add all those things together slightly more adventurous quarterback plays (and probably play calling) should have put us in a better position to win.

Long term, we're going to have days when we don't have a lot of those advantages and need something more from the passing game to get the job done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ClaytonColt said:

Long term, we're going to have days when we don't have a lot of those advantages and need something more from the passing game to get the job done.

Yep. Good summary! This was a good overall game that we played. You won't always have this good of a game on multiple levels. The passing game needs to be more aggressive... or you won't be anywhere close to winning with this type of conservative passing attack. 

• Like 1

On a more analytical note, I think we accomplished a big goal.  We used our big uglies (literally, with that ‘stache of Nelson) to establish a dominant run game and used that to set up the pass.  We’ve got the league’s leading rusher right now, so that worked pretty well...

• Like 1

Brissett has a freaking grenade launcher for an arm. It was awesome to see some laser passes out there. Haven't seen that forever! 

I was worried about his touch, but those two back shoulder fades to the left were both well placed. 

The whole run run run run run play calling in the 4th was stupid though. If they would've mixed in some play action they would've ate that defense up without taking so much time off the clock. Granted that's not on Brissett, but let the guy chuck the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Brissett has a freaking grenade launcher for an arm. It was awesome to see some laser passes out there. Haven't seen that forever! 

I was worried about his touch, but those two back shoulder fades to the left were both well placed. 

The whole run run run run run play calling in the 4th was stupid though. If they would've mixed in some play action they would've ate that defense up without taking so much time off the clock. Granted that's not on Brissett, but let the guy chuck the ball. 

Yeah I kept waiting for a deep ball off play action and.....

Well...

I’m still waiting. 

As far as the Ebron catch, it was not even a close call.  He snatch the ball out of the air and secured it nicely, but he only got one foot on the ground in bounds.  The elbow hit and dislodged the ball and he juggled it as he slid aout of bounds.

He never had possession with two feet on the ground, or another body part.

The bad part about the old rule was that a receiver could snatch it in the air, come down with two feet in bounds, THEN, hit the ground which dislodges the ball and it would be called incomplete.  That made no sense.

But Ebron simply never had legal possession, ever.

• Like 1

This actually looked like playoff football. Running the ball with authority, taking care of the ball, winning the turnover battle, getting after the QB.  Kicking game was the one thing we needed and this could have been a preview of what will happen in 16 + weeks from now.  JB will let it fly soon enough but it’s good to know we can dial up this type of game when needed.

• Like 1

Now that it's been mentioned it sort of makes sense to not have too many deep throws in there.  Chargers have 2 elite pass rushers.  The run game was working good, the underneath stuff was working good.  Why against Bosa and Ingram risk going deep if you don't have to?

Also Reich has said multiple times that he wants to be a top 5 rushing team.  So I'm not sure the gameplan would have even changed that much if Andrew Luck was starting.  If Mack is getting the yards why risk slinging it around the field?  A lot of bad can happen on a drop back.  Sacks, Strip sacks, tipped balls, interceptions.  There is simply no reason to do it a lot if your run game is moving the chains.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, waka waka said:

Brissett didnt call the game who cares if they threw for under 200yds minny won with kirk throwing under 100yd a game we need balance i thought we had a lot of that on offense 

I will start off by saying that I thought Brissett played a solid game all the way around and some of my concerns about his ability to make sound decisions while under pressure (physical pressure to situational pressure) are somewhat alleviated.

But, The 190 yards in and of itself is not bad, but 190 yards on 21 completions is a bit concerning.  That is only about 9 yards per completion, you really want your QB in the 11-12 yard per completion range.  To use your Cousins example, he had 8 completions for 98 yards for 12.25 yards per completion.  So the 9 yards per completion is an indication of playing it safe and not take any chances.

I'm not drawing any conclusions from one game, because one game does not indicate anything.  it's just something I am going to track and see if it becomes a trend.

Even with that, the Colts should have won the game and 9 times out of 10 Vinny does not miss all of those kicks and the Colts win.

• Like 1