Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

27 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I really don't think too many people could've caught that ball.  Yes, it was a bit off target.  But it would've been catchable had it not been travelling 180 mph.  It was more like a dodgeball throw than a football pass.  And, as I said, we're lucky it wasn't picked off.

Yeah, I don't really blame Doyle there. That was the perfect example of Brissett firing one with way too much heat (although that was really the only instance I noticed yesterday, so that's good).

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I came away with a very good impression of JB after the first game. He seems to be very composed and calm in the pocket.

One thing about JB is, he usually doesn't turn the ball over which is great. He also seems like nothing bothers him. He and TY seem to have great chemistry as well. I think we win next week. We could go 5-1 in the division, if we do, 9-7 is very possible. It starts next week at Tennessee. Nick Foles is out at least until week 11 is the word now. Looking like he will miss the next 9 games possibly?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

One thing about JB is, he usually doesn't turn the ball over which is great. He also seems like nothing bothers him. He and TY seem to have great chemistry as well. I think we win next week. We could go 5-1 in the division, if we do, 9-7 is very possible. It starts next week at Tennessee. Nick Foles is out at least until week 11 is the word now. Looking like he will miss the next 9 games possibly?

He reminds me of Alex Smith without the wheels.  Smith was good enough to be competitive int he regular year, had great completion percentage, low turnovers, but wasn't good enough when all was said and done to get the ball down the field for a contendng team.

That being said, maybe he will develop into more than that and many teams would have been thrilled to have Smith when he was pretty darn good.  

It's just that I have been used to elite QBing the last twenty years and it's hard not to want to see that.  Spoiled brat.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Jags had to be pretty jazzed by how Gardner Minshew played yesterday after Foles went down.

He completed his first 13 passes and ended up 22-25 for 275 yards with two TDs and a pick.  He set several records for a debut NFL performance.

We'll see where it goes from there.  But it certainly wasn't a bad way to start a career.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

He reminds me of Alex Smith without the wheels.  Smith was good enough to be competitive int he regular year, had great completion percentage, low turnovers, but wasn't good enough when all was said and done to get the ball down the field for a contendng team.

That being said, maybe he will develop into more than that and many teams would have been thrilled to have Smith when he was pretty darn good.  

It's just that I have been used to elite QBing the last twenty years and it's hard not to want to see that.  Spoiled brat.

Didn’t JB get the ball down the field. It might of been a lot of Mack but JB made some clutch throws.

4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I like your Alex Smith comparison. I think Brissett has a stronger arm but doesn't have the wheels that Smith had. I like your comparison because Smith was a great game manager and in that 11-15 range regarding QB rankings when he played good. JB could be that good. Of course JB isn't going to be Luck but 11-15 is possible if he keeps improving. If Ballard keeps building a solid team around JB and we have a dominating O.Line/running game and good defense then JB could win a SB being around the 15th best QB IMO.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like your Alex Smith comparison. I think Brissett has a stronger arm but doesn't have the wheels that Smith had. I like your comparison because Smith was a great game manager and in that 11-15 range regarding QB rankings when he played good. JB could be that good. Of course JB isn't going to be Luck but 11-15 is possible if he keeps improving. If Ballard keeps building a solid team around JB and we have a dominating O.Line/running game and good defense then JB could win a SB being around the 15th best QB IMO.

Well he was part of a staff that won the Big One with Nick Foles.

Our defense isn't good enough for that yet though.  

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Didn’t JB get the ball down the field. It might of been a lot of Mack but JB made some clutch throws.

Yeah man Colts had like 170+ second half  rushing yards and the 2nd half td was a dump off that TY keystone kopped them.  

Great throw by JB on the Ebron drop though.  

We shall see. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like your Alex Smith comparison. I think Brissett has a stronger arm but doesn't have the wheels that Smith had. I like your comparison because Smith was a great game manager and in that 11-15 rangec regarding QB rankings when he played good. JB could be that good. Of course JB isn't going to be Luck but 11-15 is possible if he keeps improving. If Ballard keeps building a solid team around JB and we have a dominating O.Line/running game and good defense then JB could win a SB being around the 15th best QB IMO.

I guess you would have to be happy if he was as good as Smith.  I just can't help it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I guess you would have to be happy if he was as good as Smith.  I just can't help it.

I think he is better than smith. They just need to take the training  wheels off him and let him throw deep. Can't  play conservative  and win many games unless you have a great defense.  Plus deep shots will get defenders to back off and leave more room for mack.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Smith was good but just never a top 10 QB in the league IMO. Us getting another Luck will probably never happen again so I have accepted it sadly. Us getting another Peyton will never happen as he is arguably the GOAT. 

Just now, Stephen said:

I think he is better than smith. They just need to take the training  wheels off him and let him throw deep. Can't  play conservative  and win many games unless you have a great defense.  Plus deep shots will get defenders to back off and leave more room for mack.

You think today he's better than Smith? or that he could be?

You look at Jacoby's college stats and they are Smithian as well. Maybe the training wheels aren't really there and he just rids the bike like they are there.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Smith was good but just never a top 10 QB in the league IMO. Us getting another Luck will probably never happen again so I have accepted it sadly. Us getting another Peyton will never happen as he is arguably the GOAT. 

Yep.  I'm just not ready for that best ever.  I need to get over it.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You look at Jacoby's college stats and they are Smithian as well. Maybe the training wheels aren't really there and he just rids the bike like they are there.  

I think he is better  than smith now. He was rated 7 out of 28 starting  qbs with conservative  play calling. His stat line was 21 of 27 for 190 yards. He can do better than that. I'd like to see 26 of 32 for 300 yards. Or even 21 of 27 for 300. The key is deep shots which we didn't  utilize  despite  mack's  big running  in second  half. With all that running  I was expecting  play action to Campbell,  hilton, or cain, but it never came.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Luck had the potential to win us a SB or even 2 IMO and maybe go down as a top 10 QB of all-time but he chose to retire. Peyton IMO is a top 3 QB of all-time along with Brady and Montana, those are my opinions. So we have been spoiled in reality and at least won 1 SB with Peyton. Brissett can be good in this league but Ballard needs to just keep building around him and hope Reich wants to coach for a long time. I love Reich's system.

3 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

You are so certain about opinions.

So you'd bench a guy that completed  77 percent of his passes and executed the game plan the way the coach wanted. Brissett  can put up big numbers if the right plays are called Even Lamar Jackson who alot of people  said can't  throw put up big numbers. Got to take the deep shots.

Definitely a solid outing with our tumultuous off-season. I'm just glad he looked like an NFL QB and you can grow and build off that.

He didn't look like some of the terrible backup QB's out there in the league.

I feel like our fanbase lost a lot of IQ points since Luck retired. 

Did we expect him to come out and throw 50 passes running double reverses and into triple coverage to try and be a hero and score every possession? 

16 games people. Progress every game is what we need. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A game manager doesn’t march you down field to tie the game. He had us in position to get points on almost every single drive.

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

So you'd bench a guy that completed  77 percent of his passes and executed the game plan the way the coach wanted. Brisse yett  can put up big numbers if the right plays are called Even Lamar Jackson who alot of people  said can't  throw put up big numbers. Got to take the deep shots.

Well they didn't resign Alex Smith when he had great numbers for years and career year they let him go.  They spent big draft capital on the position the year before that so yeah.  If he doesn't win or doesn't win playoffs he will be jettisoned.

Check out Smith's numbers.  He was like 6-7 year in a row 90 passer rating.  His stats were fantastic.  He just wasn't good enough.  He had like 64% career completion percentage.  He had like twice as many TDs as INTs.  He was mobile as just about anyone not named Vick.  He just wasn't good enough to stand in there make that read throw the ball 25 yds to the boundary while getting hit in the chin knowing it was going to be a completion. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Smith has no where near the cannon arm Brissett has.  He's got no fear when it comes to the deep ball if you watched in 2017.  Games like the Texans and Steelers come to mind.  Luck did nothing but dink and dunk the first couple weeks of 2019 his own self until people start pushing him for more once they saw Jacoby throw that hail mary for him.  Watch a couple more games in 2019 and you'll see he's not Alex smith.  Jacoby will stand in there and make those throws.  The offense is going to open up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Smith has no where near the cannon arm Brissett has.  He's got no fear when it comes to the deep ball if you watched in 2017.  Games like the Texans and Steelers come to mind.  Luck did nothing but dink and dunk the first couple weeks of 2019 his own self until people start pushing him for more once they saw Jacoby throw that hail mary for him.  Watch a couple more games in 2019 and you'll see he's not Alex smith. 

Jacoby can throw the deep ball but can he throw the 15-25 yd read plays is the question in my mind.  The cannon is only part of the equation.  No ONE and mean no one has ever had the cannon that Jeff George had.  There is more than that.

Just now, Nickster said:

Jacoby can throw the deep ball but can he throw the 15-25 yd read plays is the question in my mind.  The cannon is only part of the equation.  No ONE and mean no one has ever had the cannon that Jeff George had.  There is more than that.

He can throw the deep out. 

Just now, indyagent17 said:

Brissett has a lot more zip on the ball than luck ever did.  would you rather have Brissett or luck on a quarterback sneak?

Luck.   I'm a believer in Jacoby,  but he isn't Andrew.   If we had Andrew yesterday we probably still lose.   The loss isn't on him.   I thought he played great.   Hopefully they let him take some shots next week

The Colts had more yards in regulation than the Chargers.

And still people talk like the offense was deficient in moving the ball into scoring position.

Yesterday Andy Dalton passed for over 400 yards in  21-20 loss to the Seahawks where Russel Wilson passed for 196 yards and 2 TD's. (sound familiar?)

It's not about racking up passing yards. It's about scoring points.

We all know why the Colts didn't score enough points.