Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

The play calling was somewhat conservative, and I wonder if JB has the freedom to identify a coverage and get out of a run play to take advantage of it. There were some one on ones outside with 8 man boxes and we ran right into them, it would be nice to see the offense check into a pass in that kind of situation. 

JB played well though. And there was a great back shoulder throw to Funchess on one play.  But really nothing downfield. 

3 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but what I see from Brissett is the same thing I saw in 2017.  He doesn't turn over the ball much, but he also doesn't make very many big plays.  He is probably a 20 TD 9 INT guy for the season.  The problem I see is no way we are getting to Super Bowl much less winning with him at QB.   I hope at some point Kelly gets a shot to see what he can do because he has a higher ceiling (and bottom).  Ultimately, I am one who believes Luck will be back next year.  But if Jacoby is our guy for the next few years, I would expect a couple playoff appearances and early exits.  He is just way too cautious.

I thought driving the ball down to get that last td and 2 point conv was pretty clutch. Brissett did great and will only get better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I Knew if he didn’t have a 300 yard game and five TD people would complain. This is the same type of game would be seeing from Luck this season.

Not really. Luck probably would have looked downfield a few times. Although, early last year, the passing game was very conservative, but that was mostly because the OL was awful and Luck was coming back from the shoulder injury. I didn't expect that kind of caution this year. 

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

James can't play DL and LB for the Bolts.  I'm not sure as far as the Chargers are concerned they knew how deep we are at WR.  James makes some difference I will concede but I think we'd still have moved the ball with a decen amount of regularity.  We are very deep at WR and TE to go along with the OL.

Yea Chargers are throtting out 40 year old washed up players like Brandon Mebane and Thomas Davis as starters on both the DL and LB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

James can't play DL and LB for the Bolts.  

He actually can and has. Derwin James plays every position. He can probably valet your car, bring you a beer and do color commentary at the same time. 

All jokes aside, James is an incredibly versatile and dynamic player. He can wreck an offense almost singlehandedly. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not really. Luck probably would have looked downfield a few times. Although, early last year, the passing game was very conservative, but that was mostly because the OL was awful and Luck was coming back from the shoulder injury. I didn't expect that kind of caution this year. 

No I think they’ve couldnt stop Mack so that is what we did. Reich said in the presser Nelson told him to keep running because it was working.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He actually can and has. Derwin James plays every position. He can probably valet your car, bring you a beer and do color commentary at the same time. 

All jokes aside, James is an incredibly versatile and dynamic player. He can wreck an offense almost singlehandedly. 

Certainly a very good player.  They have other issues though is what I mean.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

Yea Chargers are throtting out 40 year old washed up players like Brandon Mebane and Thomas Davis as starters on both the DL and LB.

colts were too conservative. Parris Campbell could have made some splash plays, but was limited to a short pass and a run play. Cain and Hilton should have been targeted deep more. The kicker and penalties didn't help. That was a 17 point swing.

11 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but what I see from Brissett is the same thing I saw in 2017.  He doesn't turn over the ball much, but he also doesn't make very many big plays.  He is probably a 20 TD 9 INT guy for the season.  The problem I see is no way we are getting to Super Bowl much less winning with him at QB.   I hope at some point Kelly gets a shot to see what he can do because he has a higher ceiling (and bottom).  Ultimately, I am one who believes Luck will be back next year.  But if Jacoby is our guy for the next few years, I would expect a couple playoff appearances and early exits.  He is just way too cautious.

Maybe the play calling wanted to run. They couldn’t stop Mack and Nelson told Reich to keep running it. Did you really want to give the chargers for offensive chances when we couldn’t stop them.

JB had us in scoring position or FG position almost every drive. That dang missed point cost us the game.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

The play calling was somewhat conservative, and I wonder if JB has the freedom to identify a coverage and get out of a run play to take advantage of it. There were some one on ones outside with 8 man boxes and we ran right into them, it would be nice to see the offense check into a pass in that kind of situation. 

JB played well though. And there was a great back shoulder throw to Funchess on one play.  But really nothing downfield. 

Same stuff they pulled with Luck at the start of last year. Brissett has his full arm strength so there was no reason to hold back.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

colts were too conservative. Parris Campbell could have made some splash plays, but was limited to a short pass and a run play. Cain and Hilton should have been targeted deep more. The kicker and penalties didn't help. That was a 17 point swing.

The defense was already winded by the end of the game. By going for more big plays they would of been out there even more.

• Like 1

I'm going to eat my hat if we don't beat Tenn next week.  We are better than them.

I don't want to hear nothing about them beating up on the Browns cuz I watched

the game and it was no coming out party for their offense.  We are fully capable of

walking in to Nashville and walking back out with a W.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No I think they’ve couldnt stop Mack so that is what we did. Reich said in the presser Nelson told him to keep running because it was working.

They stopped him fine in the first half. And there were opportunities to take shots early on. Ebron seemed frustrated by the game flow. 

I'm just saying I think they need to push the ball downfield more actively. The offense needs to threaten big plays to stay on schedule. And I think Luck was hardwired to take shots downfield, so I don't know if the passing game would have been as reserved if he was in there. 

Still, Brissett played a solid game. Not complaining about him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm going to eat my hat if we don't beat Tenn next week.  We are better than them.

the game and it was no coming out party for their offense.  We are fully capable of

I agree.   But just in case...  wear a small hat

1 minute ago, Superman said:

They stopped him fine in the first half. And there were opportunities to take shots early on. Ebron seemed frustrated by the game flow. 

I'm just saying I think they need to push the ball downfield more actively. The offense needs to threaten big plays to stay on schedule. And I think Luck was hardwired to take shots downfield, so I don't know if the passing game would have been as reserved if he was in there. 

I do think we will have to pass more to keep Mack on track. I just didn’t want to give the chargers offense more chances with how the defense was playing. The chargers really didn’t stop our offense.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

We better learn to stop the run. I think sitting Lewis was a mistake. I said it before the season started when your playing a elite QB it’s harder to stop the run.

20 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Don't really agree.  The man basically moved the ball up and down the field, threw 3 TD(yeah one got called back but still) even though we were running the heck out of the football.  I think there's more to come and that didn't look like 2017. In 2017 we could barely even move the football and he was only good for 1 and sometimes 2 TD.  I think he will continue to get better all year long.  And if Doyle doesn't drop that TD that hits him square in the facemask that's another score.  I see real improvement in Jacoby that will grow even more as we play more games.  This staff has done good with him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Stephen said:

haven't looked at titans film yet, but expected more from the browns. Also expected a marquis brown type impact from campbell. We will see what happens next week.

Where are you getting that browns film from?  Or do you mean sport center highlights?

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree. I think the coaching staff wanted to protect the QB and limit exposure given Bosa’s and Ingram’s abilities.

They clearly had an emphasis on running the ball and wanted to keep the possessions for Rivers and co. to a minimum, especially in the second half when the running game started to actually get going.

I’m willing to bet we see the offense open up more in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The defense was already winded by the end of the game. By going for more big plays they would of been out there even more.

I mean they should have come out firing down the field to Hilton and campbell. The way campbell was used was a joke.

23 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Wow,   first off  Jacoby did everything right to win this game. 

Kelly isn't starting unless Jacoby gets hurt. 

Andrew isn't coming back. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We better learn to stop the run. I think sitting Lewis was a mistake. I said it before the season started when your playing a elite QB it’s harder to stop the run.

We'll get it together, I'm not too worried.  I don't think Mariota is elite as far as next weeks game.

I'm expecting better.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I do think we will have to pass more to keep Mack on track. I just didn’t want to give the chargers offense more chances with how the defense was playing. The chargers really didn’t stop our offense.

It's not even more passing. It's trying to get behind the defense. I'm pretty sure Brissett didn't try any passes more than 20 yards down field...

And yes, a ball control approach was sensible, but you have to threaten to beat the defense over the top at some point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Wow,   first off  Jacoby did everything right to win this game. 

Kelly isn't starting unless Jacoby gets hurt. 

Andrew isn't coming back. 

Kelly needs more time in this offensive system and just more seasoning period.

Has a lot of talent but I think if he started this game today he wouldn't have done

better than Brissett.

The Steelers look like hot garbage, including Moncrief who refuses to come down with a catch. And Mike Tomlin is the weirdest game manager ever. So I'm not gonna complain too much about Brissett and Reich being a little conservative on the road against a great pass rush in Week 1. 

Tennessee is going to send a lot of Blitz activity at Jacoby.  That's what they did the last 2 times they faced him and it worked very well.  This is a different squad we have, but they will still test him.  With the tools we have now he should be able to burn them when they come with that.

Just now, Superman said:

The Steelers look like hot garbage, including Moncrief who refuses to come down with a catch. And Mike Tomlin is the weirdest game manager ever. So I'm not gonna complain too much about Brissett and Reich being a little conservative on the road against a great pass rush in Week 1. 

Every time they go to Foxboro they  play like hot garbage.  I don't know why.

Moncrief doesn't look like he's gotten any better.  Still the same dude.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Tennessee is going to send a lot of Blitz activity at Jacoby.  That's what they did the last 2 times they faced him and it worked very well.  This is a different squad we have, but they will still test him.  With the tools we have now he should be able to burn them when they come with that.

I am sure they will but as you pointed out this isn’t the same team namely up front.  Jacoby also isn’t the same QB.  Also if Mack can run it like he did today teams are going to have much bigger problem playing the Colts than Jacoby.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Restored said:

So does every other team usually. Except for the Ravens.

With Pitt it's almost a guarantee every single time they go up there.  I've seen teams like KC and Seattle go up there and win along with a few others.

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Sorry, refs didn't get it wrong for Doyle, for the same reason they didn't get it wrong for Dez Bryant.  When you leave your feet, you have to survive contact with the ground and maintain possession.  Bryant didn't, and neither did Doyle.  

When the ball is knocked loose on landing that's always an incomplete.  It's just the rulebook.

To keep defenses honest and stop them stacking against the run of course.  Football 101

Coaching 101 If it works don't change it.