Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

Looked good.  Had an accurate night, no picks, 2 TDs, played a large role in leading the team back in the 4th.  They didn't exactly turn him loose, I think Reich is still getting a feel for exactly what he can do but personally, I'm encouraged.  The stage wasn't too big for him an he led the team to putting up a pretty good fight against a playoff contender.

If the chargers are in the playoff mix, the team that played against them looks like they belonged on the same football field and Brissett was a big part of that both in tangibles and intangibles.

sucks to lose game 1 but it happens, the team is still trying to find its identity and they're going to let a couple go.  I think the comeback in the 4th is still a net positive for team chemistry as we work out the kinks in the first few weeks and is gonna matter more than the L on the board by January.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Those two back shoulder fades to Cain and Funchess back to back near the end of the first half were beauties. 

That Charger defense is no joke. Great pass rushers, fast linebackers and rangy corners. Yet Brissett looked calm and poise against them.

I didn't see anything special about them(Charger Defense). We did whatever we wanted to do on the ground and through the air. Bosa and crew were quiet as mice most of the ball game.

• Like 1

I’ve been very vocal about my hesitation to buy into Brissett as a long-term answer at QB. I’m still not totally sold, but he earned a whole lot of salt with me today. Very good game from him. Made great throws, good reads, took care of the ball, and did the kinds of things that you want to see your QB do. 

His play action sells are especially good, and he was world class when handing off and selling that he hadn’t. Most QBs hand off and just lay out of the play. He continued to drop back and do the footwork and even a few pump fakes. 

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing more now. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Thought he looked efficient and accurate which bodes well for a guy stepping up from back up to starter.

We aren't going to win many games with under 180 team passing yards though. Even the Jaguar's back up rookie got more than that!

when you only call screen passes or 5 yard passes its hard to get yards reich has zero faith in jacoby it showed

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Thought he looked efficient and accurate which bodes well for a guy stepping up from back up to starter.

We aren't going to win many games with under 180 team passing yards though. Even the Jaguar's back up rookie got more than that!

We were riding Mack. We also didn’t have many chances because the d was so bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

They should be used to each other now since brissett had over 1,200 snaps with the first offense

And it shows in that they're not that far out of sync.

I think Reich is positively impressed by what he saw today and I think that he'll open things up as he sees what Jacoby can do in live action.  Remember, although Jacoby played in 2017, Reich wasn't here, meaning he's really only seen scouting film and practice and preseason snaps.  It'll take awhile for the players to  get perfectly in sync and for the coach to develop 100% confidence in the QB, but what we saw today is a pretty good indication that we're well under way on that process.

4 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Had a beauty of a throw to Ebron, which got ruled incomplete. Ebron should have maintained control of it for the TD, that was another reason we lost the game. 

In fairness to Jacoby, he held up his end of the deal today. This loss was definitely not on him.

It was a bad call. Refs got it wrong.

• Like 1

It felt like Frank didn't trust him to go deep.   Maybe that's just my impression.   The toss to Funchess. In the endzone that he couldn't bring down was a great pass.  Ebron should have caught the td.  Doyle had one go through his hands and doink off his facemask.   Everyone will get better.   I'm not worried about Jacoby

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Didn’t turn the football over. If this reminds I’ll have hope. Special teams and defense need to play better. It’s usually the other way around at the start of the season. The offense was very balanced today. Something we’ve been preaching. 

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The dude started out 9/9 and his first incomplete was the bogus non-TD call for Ebron

I'm not specifically talking about Brissett. In fact I thought Reich was calling a majorly conservative game. I do feel as if it was more of a test game for the staff and getting things lined up and adjusting. Loved that Mack ran for so many yards. Gives me some more confidence in our run game. How many yards? 170+...? That's awesome. I just felt a lack of aggression. Kind of like they have a hangover from losing Andrew and who wouldnt? The offense has to refind its identity. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

when you only call screen passes or 5 yard passes its hard to get yards reich has zero faith in jacoby it showed

Maybe it just didn't open up.  His throw to Ebron in the endzone was abig time throw.  Ebrin should have caught it.

Let's not forget that JB only has 17 games starting experience.