Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That isn’t why we lost. We scored or were in FG range almost every drive.

Agree 100%.  I think people are losing sight of the fact that we scored, or should have, on most of our drives.  There was no need to throw downfield when our running game was working so well.  Reich has been preaching the run game and it was awesome today.  No need to Chuck it oilfield a lot today, in my opinion.

ST"s lost us the game along with some bad plays on D to extend drives.  From what I could see those things can be cleaned up.  Also, I know we can't use it as an excuse, BUUUUTT, those no-holding calls on the Charger Oline were a bit much  and contributed to us not getting great pressure on Rivers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

After AL left  all we heard was the amount of time JB has had with these guys. Not buying it. Had him on a leash today. We have some studs on the outside, and heard little from them. TY even made short passes into more. They were missing key guys in secondary and we didnt exploit it. Maybe he was concerned with their dline, which we pushed around pretty good. 

I'm sorry you're not buying it, I'll alert the returns department, they'll be with you shortly.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone thinks.  Reich is being conservative because he's early in the season and needs to see what Brissett does under the bright lights before really turning him loose. Right now the organization thinks they're developing Brissett, which involves a period of evaluation.

If Brissett's as polished as I honestly think he is, it'll be a short evaluation period and they'll fully turn him loose by game 4-5, but Reich is gonna be a bit cautious as Brissett turns theoretical potential into practice.

I'll say this too, the first of Brissett's touchdowns was a beautiful quick draw pass where he threaded the needle between 2 defenders and hit Hilton where only he could make a play.  Tom Brady couldn't have done that pass better.  If his worst issue historically has been accuracy on the quick draw passes, that's a HUGE positive sign.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

Thought he looked efficient and accurate which bodes well for a guy stepping up from back up to starter.

We aren't going to win many games with under 180 team passing yards though. Even the Jaguar's back up rookie got more than that!

When your RB has almost 200 yards rushing almost any QBs passing yards number would be a bit low.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, krunk said:

I liked what I saw.   And as much as I like Kelly I don't think he would have faired as well out there.  He needs a bit more seasoning.

Kelly would have been destroyed.  He's too raw to survive against a good defense on the road at this point in his career.

Let's not forget we were playing a very good team on the road.  Many had us losing that game with Luck as our QB.  Yet we had a chance to win the game outright with Brissett as our QB.  The thing I'm most encouraged about is that Brissett was able to bring us back in the 4th qtr to tie the game and give us a chance to win.  We have seen Luck do it many times but I was never confident Brissett could do it.  Now I feel he can and I'm sure he knows he can.  It was a big game for him confidence wise and leadership wise.  Even though the outcome sucks it was a game that answered a lot of questions about our QB.  It look like we are going to be fine with Jacoby as our QB.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, poaponies said:

I think he did well. Not saying anything, but we do have a bad history with the chargers when it come to OT

chargers could be missing half their squad and still beat us. Now I wonder if the titans are that good or the browns that bad.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Let's not forget we were playing a very good team on the road.  Many had us losing that game with Luck as our QB.  Yet we had a chance to win the game outright with Brissett as our QB.  The thing I'm most encouraged about is that Brissett was able to bring us back in the 4th qtr to tie the game and give us a chance to win.  We have seen Luck do it many times but I was never confident Brissett could do it.  Now I feel he can and I'm sure he knows he can.  It was a big game for him confidence wise and leadership wise.  Even though the outcome sucks it was a game that answered a lot of questions about our QB.  It look like we are going to be fine with Jacoby as our QB.  

I had us losing this game anyway before the season and winning next week. The way we lost this game is what annoys me but the sun will shine in the morning.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

chargers could be missing half their squad and still beat us. Now I wonder if the titans are that good or the browns that bad.

That Titans score misleading.  Baker literally gifted them 3 TDs with turnovers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Thought Brissett looked like a middle of the road QB.  Plenty of time for improvement though.

Luck had several games that we won with those Rypes of numbers last year. JB has. 77% completion tonight and should of had 3 TD. His passé rating was also over 100. That chargers dline only got two sacks.

6 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Thought Brissett looked like a middle of the road QB.  Plenty of time for improvement though.

Really,  I thought he ran the offense well.    I think Frank needs to let him air it out more.   His passes all day were accurate.   I'm guessing next week they take the training wheels off.  

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He played better than I thought. I thought early on he looked tentative but in the 2nd half he looked pretty good and that comeback was Luckish. Vinny didn't help his cause at all.

I thought the comeback was mostly due to the running game.  I didn’t mean it as a ding against JB.  It’s his first live game with Frank and Co, I didn’t expect him to light it up.

• Like 1

For those complaining we didn’t go down field enough would you really want to have given the chargers more chances on offense. 

Just now, BOTT said:

I thought the comeback was mostly due to the running game.  I didn’t mean it as a ding against JB.  It’s his first live game with Frank and Co, I didn’t expect him to light it up.

Didn’t he have a 4th down throw to DF. That was clutch.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Yeah I agree, I think he did enough to win the game in most cases but some rare circumstances went against him, like odd penalties and missed kicks. He didn't play great by no means but was good IMO. This game reminded me of the 2008 season playoff loss to them where their punter had a career night and we had like 15 penalties and they had only 3 all night. Everytime we play them we lose in odd ways haha . I was expecting Sproles to step on the field in OT as crazy as things were going :sarcasm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I didn't see anything special about them(Charger Defense). We did whatever we wanted to do on the ground and through the air. Bosa and crew were quiet as mice most of the ball game.

Chargers defense is missing Derwin James and lost CB #2 Michael Davis so an absolute scrub like Brandon Facyson had to defend a stud like Ty Hilton and both those shoulder fades to Cain and Funchess I believe was to the receiver that Facyson was guarding.

Reich realized that once Davis went down, the Colts would have to pick on Facyson and did an excellent job of that. 

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck had several games that we won with those Rypes of numbers last year. JB has. 77% completion tonight and should of had 3 TD. His passé rating was also over 100. That chargers dline only got two sacks.

In the 2nd half, the running game nullified the Charger's pass rush. I wonder if that that was the intent.

2 minutes ago, unitas2berry said:

In the 2nd half, the running game nullified the Charger's pass rush. I wonder if that that was the intent.

Of course it was. If we would of went down field more often that would of meant using less time and we couldn’t stop the chargers offense. We did not want to get into a shootout.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

Chargers defense is missing Derwin James and lost CB #2 Michael Davis so an absolute scrub like Brandon Facyson had to defend a stud like Ty Hilton and both those shoulder fades to Cain and Funchess I believe was to the receiver that Facyson was guarding.

Reich realized that once Davis went down, the Colts would have to pick on Facyson and did an excellent job of that. 

James can't play DL and LB for the Bolts.  I'm not sure as far as the Chargers are concerned they knew how deep we are at WR.  James makes some difference I will concede but I think we'd still have moved the ball with a decen amount of regularity.  We are very deep at WR and TE to go along with the OL.

• Like 1

I think JB and team did a great job. Given the circumstances of the past few weeks. JB came in and took ownership. He stepped up to the plate and lead the team. I’m looking forward to watching him grow and become one of the greats. Great job team.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but what I see from Brissett is the same thing I saw in 2017.  He doesn't turn over the ball much, but he also doesn't make very many big plays.  He is probably a 20 TD 9 INT guy for the season.  The problem I see is no way we are getting to Super Bowl much less winning with him at QB.   I hope at some point Kelly gets a shot to see what he can do because he has a higher ceiling (and bottom).  Ultimately, I am one who believes Luck will be back next year.  But if Jacoby is our guy for the next few years, I would expect a couple playoff appearances and early exits.  He is just way too cautious.

• Like 1