Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

31 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

With his arm, and accuracy - it's a good bet JB can throw the deep out.

It's got as much to do with reading, patience, and pocket presence than arm strength.  Brady is probably bottom half in arm strength since he's been in the game.  

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

6,209 posts

Posted 1 minute ago

It’s going to be fun to see JB blossom as the year goes on. He has everything he needs to be successful. Clutch factor was my main concern and he delivered. He is just a cool cat. 

I hope you are right.  I have serious doubts about his ability to read a defense and hope that Bosa was the reason why they didn't ask him to rather than Reich knowing he can't.  Thelack of a play action attempt after 170 or so yds of 2nd half rushing is concerning for me.

He is in a fantastic position and has been given all of the tools a QB needs to succeed.

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It's one game. After the first quarter, we'll have a better look into JB and the Reich philosophy symbiosis.

I never expected Luck to be the next Peyton, I don't expect Brissett to be the next Andrew.  Just want him to be the best 'you'  that you can be.

I mean if that "you" is a top tier NFL QB then yeah.  If not, time to move on and move on quick.  

10 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hope you are right.  I have serious doubts about his ability to read a defense and hope that Bosa was the reason why they didn't ask him to rather than Reich knowing he can't.  Thelack of a play action attempt after 170 or so yds of 2nd half rushing is concerning for me.

He is in a fantastic position and has been given all of the tools a QB needs to succeed.

Go read the new athletic article. Reich even mentioned he made all the right reads during the game. I was actually impressed that he was able to do it so well.

I have to laugh I see the CK lovers  are gone after Brissett had a great game.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Brissett was good and he did most of what he was asked to do well. HOWEVER! The type of game he played is not a recipe for success long-term(this is both on him and Reich's playcalling). Just think about it - we beat the Charges 2-0 in takeaways. We ran for 200 yards. We sacked them more than they did us... and we still lost. You need chunk plays to win consistently in this game and our longest pass-play was 22 yards. You need the threat of making long-plays... this will help not just by the mere fact that you will be getting chunk gains but it will also help your run game by allowing for fewer stacked boxes. This one was close and we might have won if Vinny scores one of those FGs... but the game script was all in our favor. All the important indicators were in our favor(except for kicking success) and we still lost. 

I want Reich to release Brissett. I want him to start taking shots and making big-time plays. We need it! And more importantly - we need to know if he can do it long-term, because if he cannot do it, we need to know that by next year's draft. 

exactly how i feel. he played well but definitely seemed more game manager to me but it is only game 1 hopefully they let him loose like you said. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

if you are going to make something up, at least put "fixed it for you", like most people do when they change a quote to suit their own purpose.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Go read the new athletic article. Reich even mentioned he made all the right reads during the game. I was actually impressed that he was able to do it so well.

What's a new athletic article? 

He didn't go through many progressions in that game.

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

if you are going to make something up, at least put "fixed it for you", like most people do when they change a quote to suit their own purpose.

I meant to quote another person.  Calm down.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I will say this.  Brissett had a great game but I am a CK lover and I still want the Colts to put him on the 53 and not risk losing him.  He's shown he can play.  The Jags just gave up a 5th for whoever.  Anything can happen.  Good QB's are hard to find. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

What's a new athletic article? 

He didn't go through many progressions in that game.

I meant to quote another person.  Calm down.

There is no need to calm down.  I think when people change quotes, it is usually quite funny.  And yours would have been funny... if executed properly.

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s going to be fun to see JB blossom as the year goes on. He has everything he needs to be successful. Clutch factor was my main concern and he delivered. He is just a cool cat. 

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

There is no need to calm down.  I think when people change quotes, it is usually quite funny.  And yours would have been funny... if executed properly.

I didn't change your quote.  I tried to quote someone else.  Don't be a *.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was really confused by the lack of playaction in the 2nd half. Really could've opened up some possibilities going deep.

It seemed purposeful by Reich to stay away from it though, like he didn't want Brissett running the PA. 

That's what I've been saying.  Especially a couple of times inside the 40.

18 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I mean if that "you" is a top tier NFL QB then yeah.  If not, time to move on and move on quick.  

I seriously doubt that the Colts are going to "move on quick" from Jacoby, even if he isn't displaying that he is a top tier QB. That is something the Browns did for two decades.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Wow Snow;;;flake is a banned word.  Does it trigger some people or somethign?

2 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I seriously doubt that the Colts are going to "move on quick" from Jacoby, even if he isn't displaying that he is a top tier QB. That is something the Browns did for two decades.

Quick is a relative term.  The season will reveal whether he is someone who can win a championship or not.  I'm not saying he needs to win a championship this season, just that you will be able to tell if he's good enough.

And if not, he shouldn't be starting next year.  He is in a pretty desirable situation for a fledgling QB.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was really confused by the lack of playaction in the 2nd half. Really could've opened up some possibilities going deep.

It could have but I think the reason they did not was a combination of both the Colts and Chargers defense were feeling the affects of 1st game plus the heat.  I don't think he wanted to get into a 4th quarter shoot-out.  I also think that Reich did not want to put the game in JB's hands to complete a throw to win the game.  Not for a lack of confidence in JB (although that may be a part) but just... why put that on the guy who has already been put in a very tough situation?

It seemed purposeful by Reich to stay away from it though, like he didn't want Brissett running the PA. 

They ran the PA pass several times in the 2nd half, but the running game was not only working, it was dominating.  

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Are you really trying to call me a snow   flake?

5 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It could have but I think the reason they did not was a combination of both the Colts and Chargers defense were feeling the affects of 1st game plus the heat.  I don't think he wanted to get into a 4th quarter shoot-out. 

Yeah, that's a fair point. During that last offensive series I remember thinking we were running not only because we were doing so well but because Reich knew our defense was gassed.

In a perfect world we were playing for overtime and to win the coin toss so that our defense would've never had to see the field again.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah, but the jury is out on whether or not he can make the play on the deep out.

Not to me.  Here (about 1.3 in) he throws fairly deep balls to Cain and Funchess outside the numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001052659/Colts-vs-Chargers-highlights-Week-1

He has an arm that is  stronger for even deeper throws too.  NFL . com listed both as to deep left on game center.

38 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's what we're trying to see.  Not if he is Luck or Manning, but a Brissett the Colts can be confident in and win with.

32 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

exactly how i feel. he played well but definitely seemed more game manager to me but it is only game 1 hopefully they let him loose like you said. 

Elite opponent, 1st game, reduced playbook. There's going to be some conservatism there and a widening and opening up of the playbook.

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Members are not allowed to incite or inflame other members... in any style including demeaning monikers. It's against the rules (my signature) you agreed to when signing up. Don't do it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Ahh, so it's not your execution of humor that is bad, it's your ability to hit the "quote" button that is lacking.  Good to know.

I wasn't trying to be funny.  The message was not for you.  Yes my quote ability is sub par.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

We also had penalties that gave extra set of downs, or ability to change a Bolts FG to a TD. 

"we gave them second chances, and that’s what was hard — you can’t give a good team second chances, in all three phases. And every time they made us pay.”

And defense, on a 3rd and 13 from the Colts 28. They convert with a TD pass to Allen.

Isn't that just a standard game though? 

We only gave away 3 penalties for 10 yards and almost every game is going to include a penalty that results in points being scored again. Similarly every game is going to include a long 3rd conversion and/or a touchdown.

If we can't overcome such relatively minor obstacles such as those we're never going to win a game again!

6 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Isn't that just a standard game though? 

We only gave away 3 penalties for 10 yards and almost every game is going to include a penalty that results in points being scored again. Similarly every game is going to include a long 3rd conversion and/or a touchdown.

If we can't overcome such relatively minor obstacles such as those we're never going to win a game again!

yeah, we could have been the browns with 18, half of which were personal flags

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't disagree with that at all. I am sick about it, had this been a playoff game it would've been a long off season looking at this game. 

I thought the Chargers offensive game plan looked just like KC's and exploited us similarly.

On the other hand, our O was considerably better than what we did against KC.
 Vinny, oh Vinny!
 Will we go 10-5?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not to me.  Here (about 1.3 in) he throws fairly deep balls to Cain and Funchess outside the numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001052659/Colts-vs-Chargers-highlights-Week-1

He has an arm that is  stronger for even deeper throws too.  NFL . com listed both as to deep left on game center.

That 2nd throw was impressive.  I don't know if it was presnap or what, but it was basically a no read throw post snap.  He token looked off any safety help which is good and placed a really nice ball there, but knew before the snap where he was going.

I am of the opinion that Jacoby is average at best.  I hope I am wrong about that.  

Jacoby seems slower to me than is necessary to be a top tier guy.

He did great with what he was asked to do on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I thought the Chargers offensive game plan looked just like KC's and exploited us similarly.

On the other hand, our O was considerably better than what we did against KC.
 Vinny, oh Vinny!
 Will we go 10-5?

I had us going 8-8 but after what I seen yesterday 9-7 or 10-6 is possible. Had we actually won the game, 10-6 would've been a real possibility. I think we beat the Titans next week, we just have their number. I was surprised they smoked the Browns though the way they did. We can't let Henry go off.

58 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I thought JB played really well.  But he still needs to take a little something off his short passes.  We’re lucky that ball off Doyle’s helmet wasn’t picked off (in the red zone, no less).

Its unlikely Doyle — or anybody — could have caught that ball with as much mustard as Jacoby put on it.

His short passes had great touch. If that ball had been a foot lower Doyle would have caught it. Doyle will be ready next time.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

His short passes had great touch. If that ball had been a foot lower Doyle would have caught it. Doyle will be ready next time.

That is a bad throw to Doyle.  No need to zip it in there.  Nothing is gained by it.  Probably a TD if he just chucks it in there at a reasonable speed.

No top QB would throw that ball like that because there is no need to.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I will say this.  Brissett had a great game but I am a CK lover and I still want the Colts to put him on the 53 and not risk losing him.  He's shown he can play.  The Jags just gave up a 5th for whoever.  Anything can happen.  Good QB's are hard to find. 

I sympathize with what you're saying.  But I just don't think CK is ready to take the reins as a backup.  I like the Hoyer signing.

And I don't think CB is prepared to give up a roster spot for a 3rd QB.  Hopefully we can hang onto Kelly -- because, like you, I really like him and think he has a future in the NFL.  But the planets just aren't aligned for him in the Colts organization right now.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

I thought it was all on Doyle. The ball hit him in the face.

Doyle does this several times a year.....so I wasn't surprised....

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I really don't think too many people could've caught that ball.  Yes, it was a bit off target.  But it would've been catchable had it not been travelling 180 mph.  It was more like a dodgeball throw than a football pass.  And, as I said, we're lucky it wasn't picked off.