Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 impressions: Brissett

Imgrandojji

Just now, krunk said:

Charger fans are very impressed with our O line.  They were also impressed with Brissett.

We were so worried about the oline but once they’ve got going they looked great.

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Wasn't happy with the way Campbell was utilized. Need more deep shots.

That isn’t why we lost. We scored or were in FG range almost every drive.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grewich said:

Tenn just hung 43 on the Browns. I wouldn’t be so confident...

I watched that game.  What you don't understand is Mayfield kept turning the ball over.

Most of that game was pretty close.  Tenn offense didn't put up a whole lot of point on their own.  Mayfield threw picks that ended up being easy TD.  Jacoby doesn't play that type of ball.  We execute on offense better than the Browns and we are coached much better than them.  We will beat Tenn I'm pretty sure..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

colts are real close to becoming a great team they are young and because so young make mistakes ,games like this teach them and make them a better team at end of season . I was really impressed of the offense but the defense has a lot to learn ,effort was there just out of position to make plays ,overall this team going right direction:thmup:

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Thought he looked efficient and accurate which bodes well for a guy stepping up from back up to starter.

We aren't going to win many games with under 180 team passing yards though. Even the Jaguar's back up rookie got more than that!

Perhaps. But when you are running roughshod all over a defense, why pass it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry, refs didn't get it wrong for Doyle, for the same reason they didn't get it wrong for Dez Bryant.  When you leave your feet, you have to survive contact with the ground and maintain possession.  Bryant didn't, and neither did Doyle.  

When the ball is knocked loose on landing that's always an incomplete.  It's just the rulebook.

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Perhaps. But when you are running roughshod all over a defense, why pass it?

To keep defenses honest and stop them stacking against the run of course.  Football 101

46 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Thought he looked efficient and accurate which bodes well for a guy stepping up from back up to starter.

We aren't going to win many games with under 180 team passing yards though. Even the Jaguar's back up rookie got more than that!

Kirk cousins had 98 yards passing in a blowout against the Falcons.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Sorry, refs didn't get it wrong for Doyle, for the same reason they didn't get it wrong for Dez Bryant.  When you leave your feet, you have to survive contact with the ground and maintain possession.  Bryant didn't, and neither did Doyle.  

When the ball is knocked loose on landing that's always an incomplete.  It's just the rulebook.

To keep defenses honest and stop them stacking against the run of course.  Football 101

Ebron.  Plus the rule is different now.   But I agree,   it wasn't a catch.   

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't know if he is good enough to win a SB but we likely won't be picking in the top 5.

Nope.  He's a starting quarterback.  He may even be better than that.  He played well against a highly rated defense.  Did enough to win.

A guy who can avoid turnovers and put points on the board against top defenses is a guy worth keeping an eye on.  If this is the real Jacoby, I'm not gonna be in favor of going back to the draft well or risking FA. 

the guy I saw out there tonight looked like a top 10 QB.  Just got into a gunfight with Phillip Rivers, a consensus top 10 QB, and held his own.  that's respectable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

Nope.  He's a starting quarterback.  He may even be better than that.  He played well against a highly rated defense.  Did enough to win.

A guy who can avoid turnovers and put points on the board against top defenses is a guy worth keeping an eye on.  If this is the real Jacoby, I'm not gonna be in favor of going back to the draft well or risking FA.  the guy I saw out there tonight looked like a top 10 QB.

I liked what I saw.   And as much as I like Kelly I don't think he would have faired as well out there.  He needs a bit more seasoning.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I understand the rules, I just don’t like them.

What gets me is that TY had a TD when he left the ground and ball came loose when he hit the ground. Ebron does the same thing. TY hits the pylon (breaks the plane), score. Ebron breaks the plane, no score.

Theyre too far in the weeds with all this.

• Like 1

As I wrote previously, Jacoby can eat you up with a clean pocket.  As long as we keep him protected I'm expecting him to consistently put up points this year.  Going to look pretty good if he's straightened out his blitz issues.  I didn't see many blitzes from the Chargers so I still have a little concern there.  If he's fixed that issue I think he will regularly find the end zone and move the ball.  I'm expecting the defense to jell and play much better as we go along. 1st game of the season is usually a sloppy one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

What gets me is that TY had a TD when he left the ground and ball came loose when he hit the ground. Ebron does the same thing. TY hits the pylon (breaks the plane), score. Ebron breaks the plane, no score.

Hilton was considered a runner after catching the ball and running . Ebron was trying to complete the catch while going to the ground bobbled the ball and also switched hands while out of bounds. I believe it was the correct call

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I don't know why it can't be like it was in backyard football.  As long as you don't let the ball hit the ground then it's a damn catch.  Simple and plain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

TY left the ground after he made the catch.  Possession is already established.  Since he's a runner, as long as he doesn't fumble, he's good

Ebron left the ground in the process of making the catch.  If he doesn't survive the ground he never had possession at all and the plane means nothng

This is not rocket science.

5 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

TY was running with the ball.  Ebron had to complete the catch and he didnt

44 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That will come in time.  Right now everyone's still getting used to each other so a conservative playbook is 

After AL left  all we heard was the amount of time JB has had with these guys. Not buying it. Had him on a leash today. We have some studs on the outside, and heard little from them. TY even made short passes into more. They were missing key guys in secondary and we didnt exploit it. Maybe he was concerned with their dline, which we pushed around pretty good. 

Really guys

On the list of confusing rules in major professional sports, the survive-the-ground rule isn't even in the top 50.

"If you leave your feet while trying to complete a catch, you have to control the ball all the way through your subsequent contact with the ground in order to count as having possession."

Really not difficult to understand, unless you're wearing your homer glasses and REALLY want a play, like Ebron's non-catch, to count.