Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

Having stepped away for a week or so and looking at this more objectively.

If Luck scammed the Colts:

first by lying about the condition of his shoulder during the summer of 2017, so he could miss a season instead of play in it.

Then lie about needing more rehab, as an excuse to be away from the Colts and instead travel throughout Europe.

Then play in 2018 to justify his previous lies.

Then make up a phony leg injury to further drag on the phoniness he started in late 2017.

Then throughout the 2 year scam, struggle to speak about it without stammering and getting nervous in front of cameras because it was tough to keep his nonsense story straight.

Things wouldn't look a whole lot different than they do.

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

first by lying about the condition of his shoulder during the summer of 2017, so he could miss a season instead of play in it.

Then lie about needing more rehab, as an excuse to be away from the Colts and instead travel throughout Europe.

Then make up a phony leg injury to further drag on the phoniness he started in late 2017.

Then throughout the 2 year scam, struggle to speak about it without stammering and getting nervous in front of cameras because it was tough to keep his nonsense story straight.

With all that are you just saying it doesn’t matter if he lied or is telling the truth, we would end up in the same place?

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So this is your idea of looking at this more objectively......, interesting.

12 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

With all that are you just saying it doesn’t matter if he lied or is telling the truth, we would end up in the same place?

No it doesn't matter.  I haven't thought about Luck in at least a week.  I happened to think about it again and since I no longer have the emotional attachment of wanting to think of Luck as being the wholesome straight up arrow I was told he was, I saw things a little differently this morning.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

No it doesn't matter.  I haven't thought about Luck in at least a week.  I happened to think about it again and since I've detached the emotional attachment of wanting to think of Luck as being the wholesome straight up arrow I was told he was, I saw things a little differently this morning.

Ahh.  It was more a cathartic post.  That makes sense.   I thought you were taking me somewhere fun but it ended anticlimacticly if that is a word.  Hahaha

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:21 AM, Unitas said:

I heard Luck is using Mayflower to move out of Indian-No-Place:lol:

I beg to differ the Mayflowers are reserved for moving teams trying to escape a squalid stadium & rat infested City who try to steal a whole team that is my definition of no place I'd want to be . 

In fact its hilarious how petty some still appear to be I guess stealing the Colts Baltimoe Lombardi isn't enough still beating a dead horse . 

I'm positive when compared The Colts Lombardi versus The Ravens Lombardi sitting side by side the the Colts will always be number  1  which is the funniest thing of all IMHO the Indianapolis Colts have what they could'nt get in there prior home a real fan base willing to work with the team  . While the jilted bride moved on to actually steal someone elses team those in glass houses should not throw stones .:hat::colts:

I was shocked when watching the game & I heard the news . I read many of the posts in this thread I'll not judge your responses . 

We are  Colts Fans - FANATICS some more than others we some of us live & breath the Blue '

I lived on the West Side when my Colts decided to come to Indy walked to the games at the Hoosier Dome many tough seasons Captain ComeBack & our Cardiac Colts & then 18 followed up by Andrew Luck who I always felt from day 1 was the next coming of  the Greatest INDIANAPOLIS QUARTERBACK TO EVER LACE UP FOR SUNDAY .

Luck was Big & Strong & did'nt run like a penguin this dude is IMHO just the  guy we needed not frail like RG3 easy choice made RYAN GRIGSON  executive of the year . But this former O -lineman failed to protect the franchise , While 12's first 3 years he looked like Superman running & flying thru the air making plays winning games by shear force of will he was MENTALLY strong but those early years were more harmful than any realized the constant abuse with a GM & HC who failed this our number 1 pick the face of the franchise was rode hard & put up wet  .

Out ward appearance is he is big & strong whats the problem ? 

Mental Toughness  the thing that helped  Peyton Manning have a second bite at the apple it for me once again reminds me 18 was successful in 2 different Cities when given the protection & running game while the Colts failed the Broncos won a Lombardi the Colts set up this  failure &' 

The BOO's IMO are deserved & should be reserved for RYAN GRIGSON the worst GM in NFL history .

Plus IMO  the Team you new there was a problem yet we the fans were kept in the  dark it was always a physical issue the mental thing came outta no wheres & led up to what I can only describe as a debacle & LOS . 

Honestly if he was'nt Mentally disturbed before by his painful experience here in Indy before he sure is now IMO for him accepting failure is not easy he failed his own expectations he was never a quitter ever in life he came to a decision as a man that was what was best for him & his future football is a brutal game that has lasting effects that we fans will never experience & maybe want to refresh there memory in regards to the truly offensive lines that were supposed to protect 12. 

We watched 18 & 12 take way to much abuse as a Colt QB luckily enough we now have Ballard he has worked very hard he has turned this team around the Colts defense - offensive line & running game are now strengths instead of weakness '

I thought this year was gonna be big with Andrew Luck at the helm I will miss him . I don't possess crystal balls so I can't see the future good or bad  ,

I Still Believe in the Blue & more than ever I Believe In Ballard & Reich that loss should have been a WIN in L.A so next man up '

Happy Trails 12 please forgive my friends we love you & hope nothing but the best for you & your young family life is short my brother family first big daddy , :thmup::hat:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2019 at 10:01 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Family, ones health is way more important then your team mates and/ or co workers. 

I couldn't have said it better myself. Looking back on this moment I was deeply saddened by Luck's sudden retirement but like you said family comes first. I couldn't believe half the stuff I read here. One poster was claiming we go after Kaepernick and several others were saying they were happy he was booed.

I get everyone's frustration but at end of the day to each and every NFL player this is just a game. Nobody plays forever. 

The timing of it all stings but the true outlook is Luck knew this was the right choice. I support his decision and hope some of you see the reality of the situation and aren't stuck in your negative ways.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Looking back on this moment I was deeply saddened by Luck's sudden retirement but like you said family comes first. I couldn't believe half the stuff I read here. One poster was claiming we go after Kaepernick and several others were saying they were happy he was booed.

I get everyone's frustration but at end of the day to each and every NFL player this is just a game. Nobody plays forever. 

The timing of it all stings but the true outlook is Luck knew this was the right choice. I support his decision and hope some of you see the reality of the situation and aren't stuck in your negative ways.

Was it really necessary to bring this back from the dead to reiterate a view that's been hashed, rehashed, and buried with the fourteen dead horses it ride in on? Lol.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Was it really necessary to bring this back from the dead to reiterate a view that's been hashed, rehashed, and buried with the fourteen dead horses it ride in on? Lol.

I brought it back to see if anybodys perception of the situation had changed. We all say things when we are upset but I have a hard time believing some of the stuff put here.

Regardless of when it happened he decided the game wasn't for hlm and I respect him for it.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I hope he stays retired. I'm not saying that because I don't want him but because I think he made a wise choice for the better of his health and family and hope he sticks to it .

Yup, same here. Also the rumors were always just that. Slow media season, fans a re bored and cooking stuff up. The guy never struck me as the type who would pull a Brett Favre. Plus the reasons he retired are legit, and nothing has changed. Martellus Bennett had an insightful thread out the other day on what it's like playing the sport, and retirement, and everything he wrote reminded me of Luck. #12 is  not coming back and good for him.

The Colts fanbase needs another young star QB to restore their faith and help them move on finally from 12. Hopefully Ballard gives that to them soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I brought it back to see if anybodys perception of the situation had changed. We all say things when we are upset but I have a hard time believing some of the stuff put here.

Regardless of when it happened he decided the game wasn't for hlm and I respect him for it.

So you did bring it back to hash, rehash, and beat all the dead horses.....lol

• Like 4

If he was ever to come back it would be now.  2 years for the body to heal, full preseason to ramp up.....Colts are a vastly improved team, specially in respect to the o line.....great (imo) backfield, pretty good D......I wouldnt be shocked if he broke retirement.

I don't expect it. I do think this is the last year its possible, but it wouldn't shock me if he came back. Full disclosure, be very happy!  Those that "dont want him back" cuz he might quit again......it'd be no different than the solidity that jacoby or rivers brought us, and itd be super fun....

If I live to see it, I just want next year to be "exciting". Now that Stafford is in L.A. Give me Winston, Fitz, maybe Cam or Eason.   Guys like Carr, Dalton, Darnold, Wentz(?), Foles, Ryan, Mitch.....i'd  rather watch an interesting failure than a milktoast one.

Side note: anyone else notice how much press eason has been doing?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

If he was ever to come back it would be now.  2 years for the body to heal, full preseason to ramp up.....Colts are a vastly improved team, specially in respect to the o line.....great (imo) backfield, pretty good D......I wouldnt be shocked if he broke retirement.

I don't expect it. I do think this is the last year its possible, but it wouldn't shock me if he came back. Full disclosure, be very happy!  Those that "dont want him back" cuz he might quit again......it'd be no different than the solidity that jacoby or rivers brought us, and itd be super fun....

If I live to see it, I just want next year to be "exciting". Now that Stafford is in L.A. Give me Winston, Fitz, maybe Cam or Eason.   Guys like Carr, Dalton, Darnold, Wentz(?), Foles, Ryan, Mitch.....i'd  rather watch an interesting failure than a milktoast one.

Side note: anyone else notice how much press eason has been doing?

Youd rather have Newton over Carr or Trubisky or Darnold?

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Youd rather have Newton over Carr or Trubisky or Darnold?

Idk.  I dont honestly dont think there's all that much difference.  Carr would probably be the best but hes just not "exciting".

I think Darnold is broken mentally and who knows why the 2020 Bears sat an undefeated Mitchell. 

The reason I'm interested in Cam is bc hes another year removed from shoulder surgery.  I believe he can improve as a passer this upcoming year.

I try not to succumb to recency bias and I liked him before the injury....last year he had 12 rushing TDs so the O was able to produce between the 20s......I'm not high on him but compared to the field at least its be interesing.......

Right now I think it'll Eason tho. And I find that to be something to look forward to.

1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

Idk.  I dont honestly dont think there's all that much difference.  Carr would probably be the best but hes just not "exciting".

I think Darnold is broken mentally and who knows why the 2020 Bears sat an undefeated Mitchell. 

The reason I'm interested in Cam is bc hes another year removed from shoulder surgery.  I believe he can improve as a passer this upcoming year.

I try not to succumb to recency bias and I liked him before the injury....last year he had 12 rushing TDs so the O was able to produce between the 20s......I'm not high on him but compared to the field at least its be interesing.......

Right now I think it'll Eason tho. And I find that to be something to look forward to.

I think Eason is on track for 22 but don't see him starting in 21 unless injuries happen 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

I think Eason is on track for 22 but don't see him starting in 21 unless injuries happen 

Cant argue there.  I think you're probably on the right track....I'm just speculatin and injecting personal preference.

If we bring in a darnold or a trubisky tho I think it's an open competition with Eason in training camp. And if that's the case I wonder what the point of bringing them in in the first place would be.

I'd still prefer that to the Matt Ryan's of the world tho.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:28 AM, danlhart87 said:

For what it’s worth, no my feelings haven’t changed on this one bit. I’m okay with the WHY for his retiring, the problem I have is the WHEN AND THE HOW it was handled, which was poor to say the least.  As for the fans, I get the booing. It was deserved because of the how. If Luck had handled it better, if the Colts had handled it better. I bet there wouldn’t have been ANY booing. But fans boo all the time, people need to gtho over the booing. It’s been made into a much bigger deal than it should be. Hell, I remember fans booing Peyton manning at home, in a playoff game. A game that we would come back to win mind you. You don’t see Peyton whining about that. 

Period, point blank. 

that said, let it die man. It’s time to move on. Luck is gone, no amount of debate will ever soothe those feelings some of us have, not will bringing up 2 year old threads.  Irsay has moved on, it’s time for the fans too as well. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/jim-irsay-former-colts-qb-andrew-luck-more-retired-now-than-he-was-in-2019

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have ill will towards Luck and don't feel bad about it.  I'm a fan, I get to like or dislike players based on whatever I want.   

So what if he was boo'd.  he's paid very well to deal with it.  Everyone knows what comes with being a star.   

On the other hand, I'd probably do the same thing.  When you can take $145 million from the team, you are set for life.   Go enjoy it.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I have ill will towards Luck and don't feel bad about it.  I'm a fan, I get to like or dislike players based on whatever I want.   

So what if he was boo'd.  he's paid very well to deal with it.  Everyone knows what comes with being a star.   

On the other hand, I'd probably do the same thing.  When you can take $145 million from the team, you are set for life.   Go enjoy it.

First...  he didn’t take $145 million.   It’s closer to $102 mill.

Second....   whatever the number is, it’s not like he didn’t earn every dollar. 

Third...   players can live with being boo’d over performance.   But being boo’d over retiring is, IMO, pretty classless.   I said it then, and it holds to today...   I think it was a terrible look for the whole fan base.  By the way, I don’t believe Luck has ever complained about it. 

Fourth...   you’re entitled to whatever opinion you want, but whenever you read about players in any sport complaining about treatment from fans, don’t wonder why.  Remember your post here and the posts of others here who agree with you.   That’s what players will point to.  

• Like 3