Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

Luck seems like a good hearted, sensitive guy. He mentioned "dark days" more than once. Nobody truly knows what he is going through and dealing with other than Luck himself. What if it's partly a mental health issue like depression/anxiety or something? I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I've made peace with it and wish Luck all the best. It didn't work out to the degree that all of us would have hoped, but that's life and it was worth taking a shot on Andrew. He is a class act. Probably hardest thing he's ever had to do was walk away.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

I don't walk pain free. I wake up hurting every day and I can't do some things. I'm pretty young too. I'll bet a lot of guys and gals on here HURT. Every day. We get depressed about it too at times.

But we get up and work. We don't check out at 29. Do you open and pray that we all walk pain free one day?

It's called LIFE.

You can’t compare your job to a professional athlete. Society has dictated that Luck’s work is worth for than yours or mine. And thats why gets to walk away at 29. It’s called LIFE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

I am a big reality TV fan.

I have a very good friend that was huge on the Bachelor and Bachelors in Paradise.  In fact his first name begins with our 3rd string QB.  I am starting a CBD reality show type company with him.

I realize that many of you may not notice this, but Luck uses the words "journey' and 'process' a ton.  As in all of the time.

One thing that reality stars are taught to do, and I have heard this straight from my buddy's mouth after 5 beers, is to use those words...and to fake cry and show you are vulnerable, as much as possible.

THAT IS ONE OF THE main reasons I don't believe a lot of what Luck says.  He uses those words.  {Process.  Vulnerable.  Journey.)  He fakes emotion.

Did we really see any tears yesterday?  I didn't.  I saw faux tears like I see on the Bachelor every week and that my bro tells me they ARE TAUGHT TO DO.

He gives this awwwww shucks giggly I am so wonderful attitude?

And he is at the surface a good guy.

But deep down? He thinks of one person.  Himself.

Hence why he quit 2 weeks before a season starts.

Stop being fooled.

You seem to have a strange obsession with Luck; did he harm you in someway? 

I’m not Colts fan. Hell, i’m not even really a fan of the local team here in Houston, but if JJ Watt stepped away from the game with bags full of money, I’d say - good for JJ. There is no loyalty in the NFL. Get paid and then get the hell out while you still have your health. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Fans out there burning his jersey are a bit pathetic.

I agree. Not only for owning clothing with another man’s name on it, but for burning it after you spent money on it. I said the same thing when the *s down here burned Matt Schaub’s jersey.

2 hours ago, threeflight said:

I am a big reality TV fan.

I have a very good friend that was huge on the Bachelor and Bachelors in Paradise.  In fact his first name begins with our 3rd string QB.  I am starting a CBD reality show type company with him.

I realize that many of you may not notice this, but Luck uses the words "journey' and 'process' a ton.  As in all of the time.

One thing that reality stars are taught to do, and I have heard this straight from my buddy's mouth after 5 beers, is to use those words...and to fake cry and show you are vulnerable, as much as possible.

THAT IS ONE OF THE main reasons I don't believe a lot of what Luck says.  He uses those words.  {Process.  Vulnerable.  Journey.)  He fakes emotion.

Did we really see any tears yesterday?  I didn't.  I saw faux tears like I see on the Bachelor every week and that my bro tells me they ARE TAUGHT TO DO.

He gives this awwwww shucks giggly I am so wonderful attitude?

And he is at the surface a good guy.

But deep down? He thinks of one person.  Himself.

Hence why he quit 2 weeks before a season starts.

Stop being fooled.

Is your buddy that Chad dude from Bachelorette? That guy was entertaining.

37 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

With Luck's shiny new 24 million dollar signing bonus. He should give every season ticket holder $100 off next year season tickets or a rebate on this years

1. Buy them a new Jersey # of their choice.

OR

2. Buy every fan a neckbrace since we all have whiplash from the shock of the news.

OR

3. Buy every fan a new pair of underwear since we all crapped our pants yesterday, virtually ruining them.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Burning Jersey is the new trendy fad to do.  Personally I think it’s stupid.  You are going to sure show that guy by burning something you spent money on.  Basically you are burning your own money...

Exactly that man owe's this team nothing it's a shame he had to retire earlier than he was probably planning too but at the end of the day its also not the end of the world cause he no longer plays for this team I don't know about the rest on this forum but i'm willing to give Brissett the year to prove he deserves to be this team's QB long term.

• Like 3

Wow at some of the stuff people are drumming up! Why don’t you make a bold prediction then? Lol! Like maybe the Colts can win the division against a team whose guy has been injured as many times as Luck, another whose had 76 other quarterbacks in Luck’s career, and the Jaguars. They did drop 50 on the Colts with Bortles that time though.

3 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Wow at some of the stuff people are drumming up! Why don’t you make a bold prediction then? Lol! Like maybe the Colts can win the division against a team whose guy has been injured as many times as Luck, another whose had 76 other quarterbacks in Luck’s career, and the Jaguars. They did drop 50 on the Colts with Bortles that time though.

Look at the other teams in the AFC South

Tennessee and Jax have QB questions

Not only does Houston have QB questions they now have major issues at RB

Colts and the Monsters of Monument Circle win the AFC South

• Thanks 1

If Jax is back together mentally then it’s over. Foles has always looked like crap until it counted then balled. 

Of course the Colts have to get it back together too. The Texans are annoying. I hope it’s not handed to them again. They’re my pick if the whole division is back to dumpster fire form across the board.

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I saw this happening.

12 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

The Colts now owe Luck around 18M in 2019 and 4M in 2020. Not too bad, especially seeing how much cap we still have this year

No Luck has been paid those $$ long ago. For bookkeeping, Colts still owe on the salary cap (it was spread out in salary cap installments over the years).  Salary cap hit in 2019 is 18.4 million, and another 6.4 million next year.  But Luck already has the dough in rthe bank.

7 hours ago, Hi-Tek said:

How nice of the Colts to give him a $25 million dollar parting gift. 

Nope, he got it all (signing and roster bonuses) awhile back. They're just not asking for some of it back as a parting payback.

6 hours ago, threeflight said:

It would be like me quitting my 9-5 job (I don't do that just saying) because I was worn out from having to work to hard taking clients out to lunch....and my boss feeling sorry for me and giving me a full years paycheck as result.

I mean.....wat???

No, it's more like your boss thought you'd be a heck of an employee so gave you a full year salary up front as a bonus to join the team.  Once there, you kept slipping and injuring different parts of your body.  You retire to avoid any more injury. Your boss, being kind, says go ahead and keep the bonus money you were already paid.  But no paychecks will be coming your way.  Have a nice life.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I saw this happening.

No Luck has been paid those $$ long ago. For bookkeeping, Colts still owe on the salary cap (it was spread out in salary cap installments over the years).  Salary cap hit in 2019 is 18.4 million, and another 6.4 million next year.  But Luck already has the dough in rthe bank.

Nope, he got it all (signing and roster bonuses) awhile back. They're just not asking for some of it back as a parting payback.

No, it's more like your boss thought you'd be a heck of an employee so gave you a full year salary up front as a bonus to join the team.  Once there, you kept slipping and injuring different parts of your body.  You retire to avoid any more injury. Your boss, being kind, says go ahead and keep the bonus money you were already paid.  But no paychecks will be coming your way.  Have a nice life.

I think it’s more about Irsay holding out hope that Luck will decide he wants to play again and he doesn’t want to tick him off by asking for the money back.  Then again it’s Irsay it’s possible he’s doing it simply because he thinks it’s the right thing to do.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s more about Irsay holding out hope that Luck will decide he wants to play again and he doesn’t want to tick him off by asking for the money back.  Then again it’s Irsay it’s possible he’s doing it simply because he thinks it’s the right thing to do.

In my opinion, it's just a little of the former, and much more of the latter.

Whoa...My TV literally died last night so, it wasn't until I went on You Tube & became dumbfounded at the news that Luck is walking away from football...I watched both press conferences in disbelief. Am what I am watching really happening or am I in some sort of twisted nightmare? 

Look, I get it man. Injures took a heavy toll on Luck psychologically--the shoulder, the lacerated kidney, the high ankle sprain. And then there's the pressure of pushing yourself too hard & too fast to get back on the field not letting down your teammates on the field. Rehab is a enormous burden on an elite athlete especially when it lingers on & new stuff keeps popping up on the radar. 

I will never blame Luck. I love the dude man. I'm really gonna miss his nerdiness, his neckbeard, not calling him Chewbacca anymore, his hilarious Direct TV ads, & yelling 'nice hit' after Suggs & other pass rushers sack him anymore. I don't feel let down by him at all. He gave us INDY fans tremendous moments & memories. Sometimes, life changing decisions take awhile to process from every angle. Luck is a good man & he has to do what's best for him & his family. 

For the people who are angry or disillusioned, it's fine by me too. We all process shock, grief, & disbelief in different stages. Fans have a right to be ticked off too because this late in the yr with the season right around the corner means it's Jacoby's team now with no alternative under center. 

This feels like a death in the horseshoe family, but it's really not. Ballard knows what he's doing & if we can survive the Josh McDaniels fiasco; we can overcome this development too. I'm confident under the leadership of Irsay, Reich, & Ballard our franchise will continue to thrive & prosper. Just take a deep breath. This is nothing. 

I wish Andrew good fortune in his future probably as an architect since he has a Master's Degree in that field. It will be okay for everyone folks. Hang in there. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Does anyone think he looks quite a bit smaller this training camp compared to last?

I remember last year thinking the guy looked ripped. 

This year.  I didn't see that.  Almost as if he had stopped lifting/working out a while ago.

One rumor, which I don't know how believable it is, is he went Vegan a while ago.  IF that is true, knowing what I do with Vegans in the fitness industry?  After a while they all lose weight and they all go bonkers. 

Who the hell knows.

Going Vegan has not worked out well for some other NFL players. No idea if that is true...but could be a possible explanation for the soft tissue injuries that wouldn't seem to go away.

But it's all speculation at this point. I think the mental aspect, regardless of how he got to that point, was the ultimate deciding factor.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Going Vegan has not worked out well for some other NFL players. No idea if that is true...but could be a possible explanation for the soft tissue injuries that wouldn't seem to go away.

But it's all speculation at this point. I think the mental aspect, regardless of how he got to that point, was the ultimate deciding factor.

There are numerous you tube people who go Vegan and chronicle their (using Luck's words) 'journey'.  99 x out of 100, after a year or so, they all go back to eating meat and talk about how their body basically fell apart during their vegan time.

11 minutes ago, threeflight said:

This was taken yesterday.  To me?  He does not at all look healthy here.  I realize this was taken during a stressful moment but....

Mentally and physically.  Doesn't look good.   Almost looks like a crackhead.   His shoulders have lost all of their bulk.

I showed my wife video of Chad Kelly today and she said "well, he certainly is bigger than Luck", and I was like what in the hell? 

I went back and looked, and this year....he is bigger than Luck.  Remember that pic of Luck 2 years ago when he looked so skinny?  And then a year later looked like Hulk?  Vegan?  Drug issue?  Depression?

Something isn't right.

38c001c0-c6f7-11e9-bbbe-136c11282fb6.jpg

Yep...he was yoked before last season...and now almost looks closer to pre-2017 than he did last year. If he has been mulling this decision for months now...I wonder if he kept up his regimen.

I do agree with Jimmy our owner too. Andrew isn't really being selfish when you remember all the millions of dollars he leaving on the table.

If you're heart's not in the game anymore because your body keeps betraying you, I could see why turning the page to something else seems appealing to Luck. You watch his press conference & can't help but feel for the guy & what he's endured since he first got here in 2012. He raves about Mathis, Wayne, Hilton, Adam V. The guy doesn't have a malicious bone in his body man. He loves INDY & her diehard fans. The guy is genuinely broken up emotionally over this decision man. He didn't reach it lightly at all. 

The funny thing about rage & anger is this: It's only a burden to those who carry it & refuse to release it & let it go over time. Fans have a right to be upset just remember that no one was hoodwinked, swindled, or lied to here. The situation was abrupt, unexpected, even awkward perhaps, but I honestly don't think this news was withheld on purpose by anybody inside the Colts organization. Life teaches us to adapt all the time. The only constant is change & our organization will handle this change with professionalism, dignity, & a sense of renewed purpose like we always do. 

5 hours ago, Iron Colt said:

Oh you're right. He's out there dodging machine gun fire and running in to burning buildings. Oh that's right, those are real jobs that are far more dangerous and make a fraction of what Luck makes.

Now why don't YOU sit down. Maybe put down your Andrew Luck doll while you're at it?

The man finished a game of professional football with two broken ribs and a lacerated kidney! And played pretty darn well too! What more do you want from him?! I don’t know you but it’s a pretty safe bet you wouldn’t have done that.

Also, tell these guys it’s a safe sport.(these are just the living players who have been diagnosed with a form of ALS):

Mike Adamle[56] (age 69)

Brent Boyd[57] (age 62)

O. J. Brigance[58] (age 49)

Lance Briggs[59] (age 38)

Wayne Clark[60] (age 72)

Joe DeLamielleure[61] (age 68)

Tony Dorsett[61] (age 65)

Mark Duper[62] (age 60)

Brett Favre[63] (age 49)

Charlie Garner[64] (age 47)

Steve Gleason[65][66] (age 42)

Andrew Glover[67] (age 51)

Dwight Harrison[68] (age 70)

Larry Johnson[69](age 39)

Ted Johnson[57] (age 46)

Bernie Kosar[70] (age 55)

Fulton Kuykendall[55] (age 66)

Dorsey Levens[55] (age 49)

Jamal Lewis[55] (age 39)

Leonard Marshall[61] (age 57)

Ricardo McDonald[71][68] (age 49)

Jim McMahon[72] (age 59)

Bob Meeks[73] (age 50)

Matthew Monger[74] (age 57)

Sean Morey[57] (age 43)

Guy Morriss[75]

Frank Orgel [76]

Antwaan Randle El[77] (age 39)

George Rogers (age 60)

Tim Shaw[78] (age 35)

Steve Smith[79] (age 54)

Ryan Stewart[55] (age 45)

Darryl Talley [80] (age 59)

Kyle Turley[81] (age 43)

Mitch White[47] (age 41)

Willie Wood[71] (age 82)

Frank Wycheck[71] (age 47)

God bless them for their service, but I’d wager being an NFL player is statistically more detrimental for your health than being a fireman or in the military. 

I repeat, sit down. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

He literally gave you his body for seven years for your entertainment.  How some feel like that’s not good enough and they are entitled too more just because they like the Colts is beyond me.

He did not LITERALLY give an fan his body (as far as I know....) lol 

That money is for this year, which he did not play a game. Glad I did not buy season tickets. This is similar to buying concert tickets and the show getting cancelled or the performer not show up showing up. These athletes make no money without the fans. His decision was selfish and there is no other way to spin it. Good for Luck, but bad for the Colts and the fans. 

Interesting to see the conclusion to the story that began in 2012 when they cut Manning -- an all time great-- and the entire FO for Andrew Luck and a new regime. This entire era has been a farce and has shown severe mismanagement. 

8 minutes ago, presto123 said:

Dakich actually said that? Wow....I know we live in the era of conspiracy theories these days but..........Dan must be a right winger.

A caller actually brought it up, and DD said he may agree with him.  Said a year ago he would never believe it, but now?  Thinks it is possible.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 8:50 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I think he’s tired of being hurt.  He’s admitted he had to dig deep to come back after the shoulder injury Irsay has talked about injury’s being in Luck’s head before.  They have also been talking about pain threshold with this injury so I am guessing the doctors said you can play it’s just going to hurt we can’t do anything and he just decided he didn’t want to do that.

Nicely written post GC8818. That's my assessment too [what I bolded]. The pain & nagging injuries just became too much to bear moving forward. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:01 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

That schtick isn't going to work tonight buddy. I believe with Ballard the Colts will eventually be fine but it's totally understandable for Colts fans to be frustrated tonight.  

Come on now. @PrincetonTiger is probably the most even keel, low key guys I know. I admire that quality about him. PT plays the long game; the dude never panics. It's not a gimmick at all.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:04 PM, jvan1973 said:

No. He is a quitter.    If he didn't want to play,   he could have let the team know months ago.  

No, he couldn't. This is a huge decision Jvan. You can't put a timetable on it. His body was breaking down & yet he was conflicted about the joy being with his teammates on field gave him. It's not as simple as you're making it out to be & you know it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was it bad timing to announce it during preseason? Lets face it: There is no good timing for bad news! Luck mentioned injuries and pain got to him mentaly. It COULD be sligth hint that he is dealing with a kind of depression as a result of the pressure to carry the whole franchise, injuries etc. As someone who is dealing with depression myself I can tell you, you always try to cover up and it works for some time until you reach the point where you just can't go on anymore. You don't decide that moment by yourself, it's your body, your mind, that make this decision for you. And so I think that Luck always tried to cover up for those things and now just reached that ultimate point and made the right call. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 9:03 PM, horseshoecrabs said:

Before everyone chastises him, I'm sure this decision, did not come lightly, The injuries that he has had, plus his on going problem, I am sure he did not take lightly. It must have been hard to come to terms with his announcement., being the competitive  player he is.   Please  give the man the benefit of the doubt. He knows his body, and I know that if he could he would play, Now is not the time to throw stones at him, and call him a quitter . Show some compassion . Let him know how much you care. I know he's hurting, and feels bad about it, so show some sympathy , to the guy!  I wish Andrew Luck all well wishes in his endeavors outside of football. I want to thank him for his effort, he has shown, in the past,   We thank you Andrew for effort in trying to bring back the level of excellence we have had in the past. and wish you well in the future.    

Well said HSC. Why anybody would condemn Andrew right now baffles me. It's not like he sat around waiting for the perfect time to sabotage our season. He's a smart guy who will land on his feet. As comedian Bob Hope said, "thanks for the memories." 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:09 PM, ThatOneColtFan said:

Some of you should be embarrassed by your responses.

There is more to life than Football and Luck owes you nothing.

He gave this franchise his best every chance he could and put this organization in positions it had no right to be in. I wish him the best, a happy life, and good health.

Thanks, Andrew.

Agree with everything you said except your first sentence. When people are ticked off because they love the Colts as a football team & they see our SB aspirations evaporating rapidly this season, they often say things they don't really mean & you have to give them the necessary space to explode & channel that rage, fear, & disappointment. When I'm p***ed, I refuse to listen to reason until I come down, cool off, & accept reality. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:14 PM, Gramz said:

I'm guessing he won't get a statue.

:dunno:

Beautiful comic relief Gramz & very necessary too. I desperately needed a good laugh tonight. You Rock! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone agree with me that the front office and owner did the fans wrong in all this to do with Andrews retirement announcement?  I mean I was at work and a friend text me out of the blue and I thought it was a bad joke or something.  I was able to go and watch the press conference and see it was real and the substance of why etc. and I was still in shock and sick. But the fans at the game in my opinion had to feel ambushed and blindsided to say the least!! I mean how do you not know or realize that making an announcement of this magnitude which to everyone in the place one second prior was a complete and total unthinkable or worst case type thought or nightmare no one would even want to think about or joke about for that matter, what part of this did the front office and the owner not think would absolutely create a total knee jerk reaction as well of a chain reaction of defensive type negative type feelings and emotions?? I mean who in the place doesn't actually love Andrew Luck and believe in him as our beloved teams leader and face for years to come??  They announce and or place it on the score boards etc. that Andrew Luck is retiring??? Without one second of warning or one ounce of information of why anything, this to me was a total lack of respect for the Colt fans everywhere especially those at the game.  I mean they totally set them up for complete humiliation and in turn they have give the Colts fans everywhere a Black eye because of it.  I myself know and am proud to be a Colts fan and believe Colts fans are classy and respectful as a majority and I am proud of that.  Football is a passionate and emotionally intense game and as a fan what are you ready to do when you go to the game?? I'm ready for battle and to fight and cheer on our Colts no matter what and that mindset is normal, now you announce to everyone that your teams leader and face is just up and gone now out of the blue absolutely zero warning, talk about some flight or fight type situation, what did you feel right away if like me nothing but negative such as betrayed, fooled, cheated, humiliated, sick, hurt, confused, anger all these things because as humans we cant process this type info especially without any such substance to justify or explain it in a few mins...  So what is the human reaction for a ton of ready to fight and cheer football fans well to express the displeasure and anger only way possible verbally and majority BOOING!! But they don't really even realize what or why they are because they have been ambushed and blindsided in a way that is totally and absolutely disrespectful and unfair to paying fans period.  The 80 year old grandma in the seat beside you is fighting and booing, they are not booing Andrew Luck per say they are booing the shocking thought that this is true and that they don't understand whats going on and feel cornered and betrayed and attacked there football world has been attacked by unthinkable foolish sounding news of the worst type.  Had Colts fans been told of this possibility and knew the situation and rational of the situation and dynamic in which to the effects that Andrew was facing would the Colts fans Boo Andrew luck if given this respectful deserved information prior to this game after having a proper period of time to process an know what it was about, Absolutely Not.  I believe the owner and front office should apologize to the fans and Andrew as they set that up for exactly that type situation and reaction to occur.             

On 8/24/2019 at 9:33 PM, i am yoda said:

I respect him and I don't blame him.  Listening to the presser now.  He needed to break the cycle.  Sucks for the team, though.  You can't replace a talent like Luck.

Bingo, Yoda nailed it. This is why so many fans are frustrated. Jacoby will do his best, but there is a significant drop-off there. Abso-Bloody Lootly Yoda. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, indyagent17 said:

Seeing him talk about who he appreciates so much sounds so hollow on who all he let down!  

You pinpointed why this presser is so hard to accept as fans IA17. Love of the game vs the pound of flesh that it ultimately takes in the end. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:45 PM, oldunclemark said:

He doesn't sound like a guy who does not want to play anymore..

He just sounds tired

Yes, Luck truly sounds drained emotionally. Really difficult to watch. Mind & body not in sync anymore. Feel for ya brother. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

NFL 2020 Free Agent QB's

1. Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers

3. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

4. Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys

Love me some Rivers man, but he's only got about 2-3 elite yrs left IMO. Drew's arm is beginning to weaken late in season now that's why the Saints rely on their RBs more now than ever before. Dak doesn't have the arm to win inside the pocket & I refuse to accept anything from the Cowboys franchise ever. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, csmopar said:

Awe, cry me a river. 

What size are we talkin' bout here though? Tiny or gigantic CSPR?

Johnny you wanna take this one? Thanks. 

One can never go wrong with the "Man In Black" you know...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 9:51 PM, krunk said:

I mean right when we finally get the kind of team around him we always wanted the whole plan goes left.  I can get over this and it's only a game but OOOOH Damn this Hurts!!!

Hey there krunk, nice to see wisdom from you as always. Uh huh. Spot on my man. Keep it up! 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:52 PM, WoolMagnet said:

I'd be ok with using our 1st and 2nd to move up for a QB.  Or even take one in 1st AND 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd.  I like Jacoby, but i wouldnt give him a big contract.  He hasnt showed me enuff.

See how this year goes.  If he looks good, try to do a deal b4 season end.  If not, draft a couple and Kelly can possibly bridge gap.  

On the bright side, this should free up ALOT of $.

There is one thing i do feel good about.  That Ballard is working this problem as we speak.

Ballard was cold-cocked by McDinglefart and came out smelling good.  He'll figure this out.

Who knows, maybe this will end up being better than working with a beat-up year-after-year Luck.  It does change my view (rearview) of letting Manning go for Luck.

Cute. I gotta remember that nickname for Josh McDaniels. Catchy WM. Catchy. Yeah, if we can survive that departure, this exit by Luck doesn't give me pause at all personally. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, Smoke317 said:

Irsay took too long to bring in CB & Reich.  Luck carried us for years saddled by Grison & Pagano.  The guy has taken some serious damage for the Horseshoe.  Finished a game with a lacerated kidney.  He’s a genuine dude.  I hate the timing but the guy has been a warrior for us.  He’s got nothing but love & respect from me.

Exactly Smoke exactly. That's why fans questioning Luck's toughness, strength, & intestinal fortitude is crazy to me. That would cripple most athletes right there. 

On 8/24/2019 at 9:56 PM, GoColts8818 said:

But yet is still probably more dangerous than most people’s here.  Luck said it tonight he’s still in pain.  Now pretend you physically hurt to do your job and you didn’t have to do that job to earn a living and that pain had driven the love for your job away.  What would you do?  Just about everyone would walk away.  That’s what Luck did.

I get it.  It stinks it hurts and the timing really stinks but I understand it.  

Thank you for having the courage, honesty, & balls to say that out loud GC8818. Fans can still be furious sure, but I appreciate the unvarnished truth in that statement. Bold, gutsy, & accurate my friend. :hat:

• Like 2

Well, what a couple of days that was! I deliberately stayed off the forum to avoid the initial responses and take time to consider this.  Here is where I stand as of today:

1. The timing of the announcement was the worst possible thing that could have happened.  I don't blame Schefter for breaking it, that is his job, but for the fans to find out as Luck was standing on the field is, in my mind, what lead to a majority of booing.  It was shock.  Either way, it should not have happened and when Luck said "it hurt" about hearing those boos, my heart sank for him.  

I wonder how this would have played out if he had been able to do it via the press conference he had planned.

2. I wish Andrew all the best.  He is genuinely my favourite NFL player, I have 2 shirts with his name on them and I even have a Funko Pop figure of him on my work desk.  I cannot imagine what the last 3 years have been like for him in terms of being in a constant cycle of pain and rehab.  As many on Twitter have said, if you haven't played, you don't know, and I don't pretend to.  I trust that Andrew Luck has reached a position where he could not go on.

He is a completely unique character and intensely private.  I think it might be just as likely we hardly ever hear from him again than he ever wears the 12 again at LoS, and that's a real shame.

3.  This Colts team's arrow is still pointing up!  Yes we are now worse off at the most important position in sports, but let's be clear, we have a great young team with a load of leaders at all positions.  Are there many teams you would swap our GM/HC combination for?  I believe Jacoby has a ceiling much lower than Andrew's, but I also believe we are in a much better position as a franchise than we were before Ballard's arrival.

So, in conclusion, Thank You Andrew.  I hope you find peace and contentment outside of football, that your body and mind heal to where you need it to be and, if you ever get the hunger to try again, you know where we are!

giphy.gif

• Like 9

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He literally gave you his body for seven years for your entertainment.  How some feel like that’s not good enough and they are entitled too more just because they like the Colts is beyond me.

He gave his body for about $100 million dollars.   The fans allowed him to make all that money.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Hey there krunk, nice to see wisdom from you as always. Uh huh. Spot on my man. Keep it up! 

Cute. I gotta remWember that nickname for Josh McDaniels. Catchy WM. Catchy. Yeah, if we can survive that departure, this exit by Luck doesn't give me pause at all personally. 

Exactly Smoke exactly. That's why fans questioning Luck's toughness, strength, & intestinal fortitude is crazy to me. That would cripple most athletes right there. 

Thank you for having the courage, honesty, & balls to say that out loud GC8818. Fans can still be furious sure, but I appreciate the unvarnished truth in that statement. Bold, gutsy, & accurate my friend. :hat:

Welcome back broskie!  We were worried about you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, threeflight said:

Was just listening to Dan Dakich.  He brought up the idea that I did earlier.  That this entire ankle/leg issue could be a made up thing just as a way out.

Remember, he was fine after the season ended.  Zero mention of a leg issue . Then he went to Europe, got married, and came back with a 'calf'. 

Huh?

Did he stumble and hurt himself walking to the altar?

And everyone who has seen him train this year?  Says he looks fine.  No sign of an injury.  Doctors couldn't figure it out.  Why?  No injury?

Went through those drills last week, looked great, and then he says that he thought it might be his last time on the Lucas Oil stadium field.

Makes zero sense.  Other than this has been in his mind for quite a while.

Florio on PFT mentioned that the Colts knew something was up in Andrew's head last March.  That Irsay said in the presser that he "counseled Andrew to hold off on making big decision for as long as you can", indicating that such a conversation would have happened before last week.  And that Reich's statement about needing to know who the starting QB was after preseason game 3 was a message to Andrew to make his decision.

So yes, DD is correct again.  It appears Luck was thinking about this since the offseason began (some of us noticed that he was less engaged during the KC game), and that the mysterious leg injury was probably just cover for giving Luck time to decide.

Which means its really not about injuries, because he was healthy last year.

It means that Luck just doesn't want to play football.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Actually, snowboarding played a role in his constant pain.

• Like 1