Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Retires/ The timing of it all... (merge)

boo2202

Certainly, Andrew's injuries were severe and nearly unrelenting.  Having proved his NFL QB worth, banking lots of dough along the way, and now beginning a family, it's not shocking that he decided to retire.  He deserves our respect and thanks for his sacrifices and amazing performances.

It's time to consider another Colt, Malik Hooker, and his travails.  Malik's first significant sports injuries occurred at the end of his only starting season for the Buckeyes when he injured his labrum (hip) and suffered a sports hernia.  Despite these serious injuries, Malik finished the game against Michigan and ran down and stole a TD pass from Watson to Renfro in the Clemson playoff loss.  Surgery and a long rehab followed.  It cost him in the NFL draft, as teams worried about his injuries and inability to participate in the drills at the combine.  He thankfully fell to the Colts and Ballard snapped him up.

Malik worked diligently to rehab from his surgeries, missing the preseason.  He played at an extraordinary level to start his NFL career, winning over Colts fans who may have questioned spending a first round pick on a safety.  Then a cheap shot took out his ACL and MCL.  These injuries threatened his career big time.  He once again diligently rehabbed his ACL after the MCL healed itself.  He returned sooner than many others who'd suffered ACL tears.  He played well last year but wasn't really himself.  This year, Lord willing, he'll display the incredible athleticism and ball hawking that led many to predict he was the next Ed Reed.  (If you go back and watch Reed's college highlights, you'll see that Ed never made a play as great as the one Malik did against Clemson, and Malik made such plays twice before that same year!).

Malik doesn't have Andrew's cache as an NFL star.  He plays a position that doesn't command the super salaries that good QBs get.  But if Andrew needed some perspective on what it takes to overcome the adversity of severe, nearly unrelenting injuries, he only needed to look across the locker room.  Let's hope that Malik's fire and pride continues to pay dividends for Ballard and the Colts.

• Like 1

You're saying that Andrew Luck should learn something from Malik Hooker?  Ok.  Got it.

Maybe he should've thought so much of himself that he could have come up with his own sports wear logo his rookie season.  After all he was the #1 pick.  

I was in shock until the next day. 

Then I was angry. 

Then I was depressed. 

I thought I'd go to acceptance, but I think I'm back to mad, shock, depressed. I can't tell. 

Yes, I realize that I have no control over what a team or player does. Yes it's just a game. but Colts football is literally all I watch. I don't even watch other NFL teams. 

Still can't believe Luck did that.

So many questions. 

giphy.gif

One: Luck's ankle still hasn't healed. I haven't seen many people talk about the fact that he must of been facing an upcoming surgery, several missed games this season, etc. He said it himself that he is in pain, and can't get a grip on what is. Regardless if he had retired or not; I doubt Luck was going to play for several games. Otherwise; he wouldn't have been struggling with the same issues as 2017. 

Two: We were offered the Browns 1st and 4th Overall picks last year before the draft. Hindsight is always 20/20, but dang; We would be set with Baker & Denzel Ward! That's honestly one of the hardest things to get over!

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Florio on PFT mentioned that the Colts knew something was up in Andrew's head last March.  That Irsay said in the presser that he "counseled Andrew to hold off on making big decision for as long as you can", indicating that such a conversation would have happened before last week.  And that Reich's statement about needing to know who the starting QB was after preseason game 3 was a message to Andrew to make his decision.

So yes, DD is correct again.  It appears Luck was thinking about this since the offseason began (some of us noticed that he was less engaged during the KC game), and that the mysterious leg injury was probably just cover for giving Luck time to decide.

Which means its really not about injuries, because he was healthy last year.

It means that Luck just doesn't want to play football.

This is my belief as well. I dont believe he is injured physically at all. Mentally he may be beat up. But this current unexplained injury was made up in my opinion as a way to buy time hoping luck would change his mind.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, indy1888 said:

This is my belief as well. I dont believe he is injured physically at all. Mentally he may be beat up. But this current unexplained injury was made up in my opinion as a way to buy time hoping luck would change his mind.

I agree.  Mentally he his beat up.  And injuries have a lot to do with that, including how much snowboarding injuries contributed to his pain.

I think the NFL is making the game very QB-centric.  Superbowl success rides on the back's of the QBs every decision.  Considering that fans, GMs careers, HCs careers, and even stadium financing can also ride on those very decisions, that's a lot of responsibility to place on the shoulders of a nice, conscientious guy.  That's a lot of stress to place on oneself.  Who needs it. 

On 8/26/2019 at 7:58 AM, DougDew said:

Which means its really not about injuries, because he was healthy last year.

It means that Luck just doesn't want to play football.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:46 AM, indy1888 said:

Then some are basically calling Luck a liar-

https://www.colts.com/video/andrew-luck-injury-progression

I have heard whispering's that when it became apparent Luck was leaning to retirement, they would place him on IR, until he felt 100% ready.  If true, the NFL would require all of the medical info from team medical staff before allowing it.  Luck refused IR, he was done.  And the constant injury, pain, rehab - rinse and repeat - process finally wore him down and took the fun out.  It's hard to motivate others when you lose motivation yourself.

In his 6 years playing, the guy has a lacerated kidney, rib and cartilage issues, a concussion, an abdominal wall tear, labrum and shoulder surgery, and his current calf-ankle injury.  You get these by going out and playing against the most elite football men.  The biggest, quickest, fastest, hardest hitting athletes in the game. It's not an if, but when in this game.

Andrew has always seemed to me to heal/recover very slowly, slower than the average population.  He works harder and longer just to return, only to suffer another injury to recover from. The pain, rehabilitation grind, and constant series of setbacks the guy endured each time likely eroded his will to push through anymore.  He almost retired with the shoulder, it's not surprising to me 5 to 6 months of calf/ankle injury and pain that wasn't resolving as hoped became the tipping point.  Luck called it the fork in the road (again) and this time he chose "me"; as he promised he would do if it came up again.

I'm not happy we fans lost our teams franchise QB, but I'm not blaming Luck for the decision he has made for himself either. He deserves to live life the way he wants to live it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

One: Luck's ankle still hasn't healed. I haven't seen many people talk about the fact that he must of been facing an upcoming surgery, several missed games this season, etc. He said it himself that he is in pain, and can't get a grip on what is. Regardless if he had retired or not; I doubt Luck was going to play for several games. Otherwise; he wouldn't have been struggling with the same issues as 2017. 

Two: We were offered the Browns 1st and 4th Overall picks last year before the draft. Hindsight is always 20/20, but dang; We would be set with Baker & Denzel Ward! That's honestly one of the hardest things to get over!

Keep in mind, Luck was at time, healthy and ready to go, coming off his career best season.  Ballard and Co would have been ran out of town at gun point if they'd traded Luck then.  People need to stop thinking about that one.

17 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Really? Mayfield is going to be a stud. We would have had the option to choose whatever QB we wanted anyways with the No. 1 pick 

Lets see how he does year 2 and 3.  There's been a bunch of 1 year wonders throughout the league, the good ones string them together.  Heck, even Tannehill had a great rookie season.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Actually, snowboarding played a role in his constant pain.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

You have to be a special kind of stupid to ruin your career over snowboarding. Don't feel one but sorry for him. You reap what you sow. 

Yep....those slopes can be dangerous....

55 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

One: Just maybe he was told this a chronic injury and there is not viable surgery to correct the ankle. If he chose to play there is going to be pain to some degree from week to week, year to year. He just ain't up for it.

Two: Hindsight is 20/20.

Three: would of, could of, should have are hard to get over?

Get over yourself, bless AL going forward!

• Like 2

Well here’s an interesting news article:

Sunday’s NFL transactions contained a line that would have been regarded as inconceivable only 36 hours ago.

“Indianapolis. Luck, Andrew. QB. Stanford. Reserve/Retired.”

The move means several things. For starters, it’s official: Luck is retired, and off the 90-man roster.

Beyond that, it’s a little murky. NFL Media (i.e., the NFL) explained on Sunday that, if Luck tries to return to the Colts before the trade deadline, he has to pass through waivers. That conflicts with my prior understanding of the rules, which was that a player on the reserve/retired list could emerge from retirement at any time before the Tuesday after Week 13, and that if he were released when attempting to return after the trade deadline, he’d be required to pass through waivers.

The difference, apparently, is that Luck landed on the reserve/retired list after reporting for the start of training camp.

None of this matters unless Luck is inclined to have a change of heart in 2019. If it’s true that he’ll have to pass through waivers before returning to the Colts, someone would surely snatch his contract if he tries to do that, even if only to trade his rights back to the Colts.

I’ve sought clarification from the league. It’s possible that the procedures aren’t as clear as they could be or should be because the situation is largely if not completely unprecedented. It could be that Luck’s situation results in a tweaking of the rules that would allow a player on reserve/retired a clear shot at returning before the Tuesday after Week 13, with waivers implicated only if the team chooses to release him after the trade deadline.

——-

So there is technically a scenario where he could decide to come back and have to go through waivers and we’d just lose him and that’s that?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

I would not be surprised that Luck as surgery on his ankle soon.  Here is to hoping that he allows himself to heal and feel right and making a comeback.  He said he needed to break the cycle of pain and rehab.  Taking a year off could do just that.

If he does not comeback then i wish him nothing but the best.  I have a signed Luck jersey in my office and it will stay there.    

Joseph

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Then some are basically calling Luck a liar-

https://www.colts.com/video/andrew-luck-injury-progression

I have heard whispering's that when it became apparent Luck was leaning to retirement, they would place him on IR, until he felt 100% ready.  If true, the NFL would require all of the medical info from team medical staff before allowing it.  Luck refused, he was done.  And the constant injury, pain, rehab - rinse and repeat - process finally wore him down and took the fun out.  It's hard to motivate others when you lose motivation yourself.

In his 6 years playing, the guy has a lacerated kidney, rib and cartilage issues, a concussion, an abdominal wall tear, labrum and shoulder surgery, and his current calf-ankle injury.  You get these by going out and playing against the most elite football men.  The biggest, quickest, fastest, hardest hitting athletes in the game. It's not an if, but when in this game.

Andrew has always seemed to me to heal/recover very slowly, slower than the average population.  He works harder and longer just to return, only to suffer another injury to recover from. The pain, rehabilitation grind, and constant series of setbacks the guy endured each time likely eroded his will to push through anymore.  He almost retired with the shoulder, it's not surprising to me 5 to 6 months of calf/ankle injury and pain that wasn't resolving as hoped became the tipping point.  Luck called it the fork in the road (again) and this time he chose "me"; as he promised he would do if it came up again.

I'm not happy we fans lost our teams franchise QB, but I'm not blaming Luck for the decision he has made for himself either. He deserves to live life the way he wants to live it.

Liar is a strong word. 

The fact remains (as far as we know), that Luck was healthy last year.  Its also a fairly common wonderment how he could have strained his calf PRIOR to OTAs so severely as to be out 6 months, unless he injured it on his own time or had some overly zealous workout (like REALLY over zealous) at the colts complex.

Perhaps the PAST injuries, combined with being financially secure, took a toll on his competitive mindset, but it just seems that he was thinking of retiring immediately after last season, when he was healthy, but he hasn't disclosed it that way to the public.  Use your own judgment if you want to call him a liar or not.  I never called him one.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

You have to be a special kind of stupid to ruin your career over snowboarding. Don't feel one but sorry for him. You reap what you sow. 

It wasn’t just the snowboarding injury, c’mon. It was the constant beating he took for years, everybody knows that, poor line, and his own wreckless play at times. He’s a young man, he should be able to live his life and enjoy other things other then football, not live in some kind of safehouse. Some athletes ride motorcycles, exotic cars, bikes, etc. etc. Sometimes crap just happens.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chucklez said:

God bless them for their service, but I’d wager being an NFL player is statistically more detrimental for your health than being a fireman or in the military. 

I repeat, sit down. 

I will have to respectfully disagree with this part. 

A majority of career firefighters contract and die of cancer and heart disease. There are also a lot of suicides in the fire service. Then there’s the whole inherent risk of dying due to collapse, flashover, accident, etc.

Being in the military, depends (obviously)on when you’re comparing it to. PTSD and compounding injuries have killed many a service member, with many people still dealing with health issue dating back to the world wars.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HOZER said:

It wasn’t just the snowboarding injury, c’mon. It was the constant beating he took for years, everybody knows that, poor line, and his own wreckless play at times. He’s a young man, he should be able to live his life and enjoy other things other then football, not live in some kind of safehouse. Some athletes ride motorcycles, exotic cars, bikes, etc. etc. Sometimes crap just happens.

Yes you're completely correct. But you can surely limit the chances. Don't remember Manning doing dumb stuff like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He injured during the off season where he had also torn his labrum.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000959225/article/andrew-luck-opens-up-about-snowboarding-accident-injury

I'm sure the doctors knew about both issues before surgery and corrected both the AC separation and Labrum repair in their own required ways.  He eventually recovered to have a great passing record.  His arm/shoulder isn't why he retired, and I believe you know this

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes you're completely correct. But you can surely limit the chances. Don't remember Manning doing dumb stuff like that. 

You sure about that?

All jokes aside, I agree it can be risky on the slopes, being a snowboarder myself. But again, sometimes crap happens. He could have gotten hurt driving his Honda Accord to work.

On a side note.......man how awesome would it be if Manning decided he wanted one more run at it and signed with the Colts for a season? That would be absolutely EPIC!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Keep in mind, Luck was at time, healthy and ready to go, coming off his career best season.  Ballard and Co would have been ran out of town at gun point if they'd traded Luck then.  People need to stop thinking about that one.

Lets see how he does year 2 and 3.  There's been a bunch of 1 year wonders throughout the league, the good ones string them together.  Heck, even Tannehill had a great rookie season.

Point taken on waiting 2 to 3 years to see how Baker or any of last years rookie QB's do. 

I'm pretty positive they offered those two picks, plus a player, before the 2018 draft when Luck was coming off his shoulder surgery and nobody knew what was going to happen. Obviously doesn't matter now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, csmopar said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/andrew-luck-retirement-decision-under-fire

Sums this up very well and coming from a reputable QB

I don't agree with Buerlin.  I don't think Luck has an obligation, especially when the Colts have been training Brissett this entire offseason.  If Luck hogged all of the PT then quit, I'd be more sympathetic to Buerlin's point.

And the obligations put on Luck to do and be the things Buerlin is suggesting is probably part of the mental exhaustion. 

Some people just aren't cut out to be everybody else's hero, and would just as soon let somebody else do it if it takes too much work.

• Like 1

He hung around long enough after last season to sell tickets and gets to keep some $12+ Million he doesn't deserve. Yip, he is smart.

We are in very good shape QB wise in this circumstance, and i believe that comforted him in making this Easy decision.
 He has gotten all he needs out of football. Bye Bye

4 hours ago, Myles said:

He gave his body for about $100 million dollars.   The fans allowed him to make all that money.  

"The fans allowed him to make all that money".

That logic could literally be applied to any person in the market. Even "self-made" entrepreneurs couldn't technically make money without their customers. Andrew made money cause he's a heck of a QB, first and foremost.

This will probably get bunched in with other posts but after further thought and hearing what other people have had to say about this my opinion is still the same but it's time to move on. Luck is gone and I personally believe he has tarnished his reputation as an NFL quarterback. However I am a Colts fan first so you play with who you have and go forward

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

This will probably get bunched in with other posts but after further thought and hearing what other people have had to say about this my opinion is still the same but it's time to move on. Luck is gone and I personally believe he has tarnished his reputation as an NFL quarterback. However I am a Colts fan first so you play with who you have and go forward

He didn't tarnish anything what some people even myself at first don't understand is if he stayed his head and heart wasn't in it anymore there for he wouldn't have been any good for the team anyway and it would have held the team back he said that in his statement himself I think he made the right call and he did the colts a favor but not holding the team back when he wasn't all in.

• Like 1

I can't imagine the what the young fans are going through with the Luck thing. Think of all the kids with all the Luck posters, jerseys and tons of other things young fans buy. Then there is the age group that saw Manning leave to add to this Luck deal.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

He hung around long enough after last season to sell tickets and gets to keep some $12+ Million he doesn't deserve. Yip, he is smart.

Did you buy season tickets? Do you wish to sell them, or know those that did and want to sell them now?  Matt Overton will buy them, from all who want.

We are in very good shape QB wise in this circumstance, and i believe that comforted him in making this Easy decision.

We aren't as good, but it could also be worse.

He has gotten all he needs out of football. Bye Bye

Not many get to dictate the terms of their NFL exit.  Good Luck Andrew.  Shame that this is is how he will be remembered (and what he will remember) walking off LOS as a member of the Colts.

I would like for one fan, to give an example of Andrew Luck being truthful about his mental state in relation to continuing to play in the NFL, as to avoid this so called "timing" issue, where you can confidently say that selfish fans would not have ripped him a new one. Remember, not a scenario that YOU wouldn't have done this, but that all fans would not have. 

I am confident there are dozens of scenarios that each individual fan would have been comfortable with....that most other fans would have roasted him over. 

In addition....if you are one of those fans who bought season tickets to see one guy play, you need only to review you're own motivations, not Luck's. This was not the Indianapolis Lucks (saw someone else post this), but the team the Indianapolis Colts. 

And lastly....if you are still complaining about this after the season starts, this could be the reaction....

tenor.gif

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This hurts me, a Colt fan...to watch. It actually makes me ill. 

If you watch this video and feel he deserved this, feel this was necessary, or it gives you a feeling of retribution....

I feel sorry for ya. Anyone is entitled to their emotional reactions within reason, but they are not entitled to be respected for them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3