Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Draft Recap Press Conference

Bluefire4

Here is an overview of what Ballard said after the draft:

-The overall plan was to add speed and competition on defense. Finding fits on defense from a talent and character perspective.

-Linebacker was a priority to address in this draft. Needed to add players for defense and special teams reasons.

-They loved Khari Willis and thought about taking him in the 3rd round. Ballard thought he was one of the best tackling safeties in the draft. Great fit from talent, character, intelligence perspective.

-They see Marvell Tell III as a corner and have worked him out at that position. Thought his 2017 tape was better than 2018.

-They did their research into EJ Speed's criminal history. Had a great workout and they see huge potential as a linebacker that can play all 3 spots. Will begin his career at WILL.

-They are going to play Ben Banogu at DE. They toyed with Banogu at MIKE linebacker, but think his best position is DE.

-Ballard feels like he addressed the offensive line heavy enough last year to not make too many moves this year. Specifically mentioned bringing back the starting 5, and having depth like Joe Haeg, Evan Boehm, Josh Andrews, and Jamarcus Webb. 2 linemen added late in draft add to competition.

-Ballard liked the defensive line depth enough to not address it too heavily in the draft. Mentioned that not every player can automatically be great like Leonard or Nelson. Still believe in Turay and Lewis.

-They like some UDFA running backs as well as some free agents (Jay Ajayi?) and will be bringing some in over the next couple of weeks.

https://www.colts.com/video/nfl-draft-day-3-willis-tell-iii-speed-green-barton-patterson

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Still need a bigger DT who can push the pocket while also providing some pass rush and run stopping ability. All our DTs are basically undersized DTs. 

Agreed..we are still not beating New England if we can’t bring consistent pressure up the middle.  Note that every team in the AFC East addressed that need in the draft.  It’s essential if you have to deal with Brady. 

38 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Still need a bigger DT who can push the pocket while also providing some pass rush and run stopping ability. All our DTs are basically undersized DTs. 

???????  One of our best pass rushers came from the UT position.   Not sure what they have to be BIG!!!   Autry Ward and Hunt were very very good at UT.    Not to mention the up and coming player in Lewis.   

• Like 2

Al Woods was good at UT. Even double teams wouldn't budge him. He freed it up for everyone else cause they had to double team him. They had to scheme for everyone else after he went down. Eventually you run out of schemes. Had a similar problem with Freeney and Mathis we had nobody inside them 2 that required double team till Booger got there and we know what happened that year. Grove Stewart may work but Al Woods already made it work. You have to have someone inside that requires both a G and C.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Agreed..we are still not beating New England if we can’t bring consistent pressure up the middle.  Note that every team in the AFC East addressed that need in the draft.  It’s essential if you have to deal with Brady. 

Yep.  I think collapsing the pocket from up the middle is more important than edge pressure actually.  That's why I really wanted Tillery. 

I think Willis from Miami is still available, but his character issues may be problematic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbear said:

Yep.  I think collapsing the pocket from up the middle is more important than edge pressure actually.  That's why I really wanted Tillery. 

I think Willis from Miami is still available, but his character issues may be problematic. 

The Ravens signed Willis.  Seems there is a reason they always field  good defenses.  They get it. 

• Like 3

When I listened earlier i thought it was Green that they said they messed around with at LB and said he is going to be a DE, not Banogu. But i may be mistaken. ..

I thought in yesterday's presser Ballard compared Banogu to Jamie Collins and will play a little bit of everything. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

When I listened earlier i thought it was Green that they said they messed around with at LB and said he is going to be a DE, not Banogu. But i may be mistaken. ..

I thought in yesterday's presser Ballard compared Banogu to Jamie Collins and will play a little bit of everything. 

You are correct

7 hours ago, Matabix said:

Al Woods was good at UT. Even double teams wouldn't budge him. He freed it up for everyone else cause they had to double team him. They had to scheme for everyone else after he went down. Eventually you run out of schemes. Had a similar problem with Freeney and Mathis we had nobody inside them 2 that required double team till Booger got there and we know what happened that year. Grove Stewart may work but Al Woods already made it work. You have to have someone inside that requires both a G and C.

What happened to Woods?

He is still a free agent...........did he retire?

23 minutes ago, egg said:

What happened to Woods?

He is still a free agent...........did he retire?

Lions i think. I believe we will start Stewart there and it wont surprise me to see them bring in a veteran for stiff competition. Or an ascending young guy from somewhere.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Lions i think. I believe we will start Stewart there and it wont surprise me to see them bring in a veteran for stiff competition. Or an ascending young guy from somewhere.

nfl.com has him listed as a free agent, but maybe that's not updated......

9 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

They are going to play Ben Banogu at DE. They toyed with Banogu at MIKE linebacker, but think his best position is DE.

Thank you.  I knew I heard that and couldn’t find it again.  He said he was an lb in the first press conference and then said de in the next.  

8 hours ago, cbear said:

Well, I guess banogu might be sheard replacement.  I guess if Turay and Lewis develop, the lbs and back end needed more help than the dl. 

He compared him to Jaime Collins.  I would think that would mean more of a rde but I’m not sure.  Houston, turay, Banogu, and green at rde?

im really interested to see how they use him most 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

I think it was Banogu that he corrected in the following press conference.  Green he said was a de from the start

That’s how I thought I heard it anyway

The LB's should be greatly improved this season, added a lot of speed. Instead of getting killed by TEs and underneath stuff, we should have the speed to cover in practically any situation. I'd think Banogu would be best suited as a DE, rushing the passer, but Okereke is an interesting option behind Walker at MIKE. Banogu could play a sort of Jack LB position, a hybrid DE/LB designation? Seems like Ballard and Co are excited with all of the options they have now. How cool is it that Rock was a big time wrestler in high school? Can't hurt in tackling, right?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

Here is an overview of what Ballard said after the draft:

-The overall plan was to add speed and competition on defense. Finding fits on defense from a talent and character perspective.

-Linebacker was a priority to address in this draft. Needed to add players for defense and special teams reasons.

-They loved Khari Willis and thought about taking him in the 3rd round. Ballard thought he was one of the best tackling safeties in the draft. Great fit from talent, character, intelligence perspective.

-They see Marvell Tell III as a corner and have worked him out at that position. Thought his 2017 tape was better than 2018.

-They did their research into EJ Speed's criminal history. Had a great workout and they see huge potential as a linebacker that can play all 3 spots. Will begin his career at WILL.

-They are going to play Ben Banogu at DE. They toyed with Banogu at MIKE linebacker, but think his best position is DE.

-Ballard feels like he addressed the offensive line heavy enough last year to not make too many moves this year. Specifically mentioned bringing back the starting 5, and having depth like Joe Haeg, Evan Boehm, Josh Andrews, and Jamarcus Webb. 2 linemen added late in draft add to competition.

-Ballard liked the defensive line depth enough to not address it too heavily in the draft. Mentioned that not every player can automatically be great like Leonard or Nelson. Still believe in Turay and Lewis.

-They like some UDFA running backs as well as some free agents (Jay Ajayi?) and will be bringing some in over the next couple of weeks.

https://www.colts.com/video/nfl-draft-day-3-willis-tell-iii-speed-green-barton-patterson

The more I listen to Ballard and Reich the more I love the draft and leadership with the organization. Very proud to be a Colts fan. 

Joseph

9 hours ago, Matabix said:

Yeah. It is hard to have too many fat NTs because most of them cannot play on special teams. Injuries is definitely a concern. Once Al Woods went down, it was a ripple effect. Knowing how well the Chiefs ran against us and how well NE ran against pretty much everyone, our run D will be our biggest challenge this season, no doubt in my mind.

You cannot run an effective jumbo set if they line up 6 OL and a TE to run it down our throats, I just do not see the bodies to do it on our current roster.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah. It is hard to have too many fat NTs because most of them cannot play on special teams. Injuries is definitely a concern. Once Al Woods went down, it was a ripple effect. Knowing how well the Chiefs ran against us and how well NE ran against pretty much everyone, our run D will be our biggest challenge this season, no doubt in my mind.

You cannot run an effective jumbo set if they line up 6 OL and a TE to run it down our throats, I just do not see the bodies to do it on our current roster.

I'd think the speed of our LBs would negate that gameplan, but I'm no defensive coordinator. I think Ballard and Co have considered all of the scenarios at this point in the game, and if they aren't worried about having a DeX Lawrence, then neither am I. How many teams in this NFL are geared to play Wisconsin style football? Not many. The name of the game is put up points, and spread the field, and you need fast, rangey guys to combat this. In my eyes, they couldn't have done much better. Several have ranked this the top draft class, not that it means much til they suit up.

1 minute ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'd think the speed of our LBs would negate that gameplan, but I'm no defensive coordinator. I think Ballard and Co have considered all of the scenarios at this point in the game, and if they aren't worried about having a DeX Lawrence, then neither am I. How many teams in this NFL are geared to play Wisconsin style football? Not many. The name of the game is put up points, and spread the field, and you need fast, rangey guys to combat this. In my eyes, they couldn't have done much better. Several have ranked this the top draft class, not that it means much til they suit up.

There is this guy named Belichick, you know. If he has to have a game plan to run it 40 times, or throw it 40 times, you can bet he will. He always gathers multiple OL on Day 3, and he did so again, and with their OL coaching and wham blocking with their TEs, they will find a way to maximize their run offense, which was already excellent. The reason they had 3 RBs and still drafted Damien Harris is to extend Brady's longevity as well by having another RB to run between the tackles. I am not as optimistic as you are on the run D front.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

There is this guy named Belichick, you know. If he has to have a game plan to run it 40 times, or throw it 40 times, you can bet he will. He always gathers multiple OL on Day 3, and he did so again, and with their OL coaching and wham blocking with their TEs, they will find a way to maximize their run offense, which was already excellent. The reason they had 3 RBs and still drafted Damien Harris is to extend Brady's longevity as well by having another RB to run between the tackles. I am not as optimistic as you are on the run D front.

It's not like the guys we have, and have brought in are putting up 3 reps on the bench, they're not incapable of tackling or run defense. That wasn't the problem last season, they were 9th in the league in yards per game (rush defense). 

Ballard definitely wanted Murphy over Rock.  After the first press conference he said some of their cluster at 26 was still there.  Then after day 2 he said Rock wasn't in the cluster but a guy they really liked. 

9 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's not like the guys we have, and have brought in are putting up 3 reps on the bench, they're not incapable of tackling or run defense. That wasn't the problem last season, they were 9th in the league in yards per game (rush defense). 

That which is generally true isn’t necessarily specifically true...and as Chad pointed out, matchup specific teams like the Pats and the Chiefs exploited personnel on our Roster up front

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

Yeah he was talking about Gerri Green. Don't know how I missed that.

1 minute ago, ztboiler said:

That which is generally true isn’t necessarily specifically true...and as Chad pointed out, matchup specific teams like the Pats and the Chiefs exploited personnel on our Roster up front

We're doomed then. Probably win 3 or 4 if we're lucky. If you guys figured it out, surely the NFL Offensive Coordinators have figured it out...can't believe Chris Ballard didn't? Oh well, maybe we'll draft the right guys next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Right.

And in a more telling stat the Colt's D was 6th best with 3.9 yds per carry.

And they were 2nd best in the NFL at tackles behind the LOS.

Banogu is starting his Colts career at linebacker.   Specifically, the SAM.

Ballard says he can play all three LB spots. 

Says he will ALSO play DE and even kick in at DT in certain situations.   

But he he is NOT being viewed as a DE. Linebacker is his first home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Banogu is starting his Colts career at linebacker.   Specifically, the SAM.

Ballard says he can play all three LB spots. 

Says he will ALSO play DE and even kick in at DT in certain situations.   

But he he is NOT being viewed as a DE. Linebacker is his first home.

Interesting. He fits best in a 3 man d-line front, you’d think, acting as the rush LB. The Colts obviously see a lot more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

I just listened to it again.  you got it right.  Banogu is going to be interesting to see how he is used.  Green is the DE.

With all these LBs who will be the odd man out or will there be a lot of rotating?  The next few years as these guys develop will be fun!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

We're doomed then. Probably win 3 or 4 if we're lucky. If you guys figured it out, surely the NFL Offensive Coordinators have figured it out...can't believe Chris Ballard didn't? Oh well, maybe we'll draft the right guys next year. 

It is not that black and white. Teams that pass well will set up the run, and the Chiefs and Patriots will have us playing pass and thus set up the run to wear out the little guys as time goes on. That is the only thing I am afraid of. Situational run yardage/defense in the playoffs is better than season stats, IMO. Our own 2006 Colts proved it.

This doesn't mean that our guys will not be able to do it, I did not say that. Rex Ryan got his nickel and dime defenses to play great run D several times in the playoffs, that is probably what we will be forced to do vs those match up exploiting teams like the Patriots and Chiefs. 

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is not that black and white. Teams that pass well will set up the run, and the Chiefs and Patriots will have us playing pass and thus set up the run to wear out the little guys as time goes on. That is the only thing I am afraid of. Situational run yardage/defense in the playoffs is better than season stats, IMO. Our own 2006 Colts proved it.

This doesn't mean that our guys will not be able to do it, I did not say that. Rex Ryan got his nickel and dime defenses to play great run D several times in the playoffs, that is probably what we will be forced to do vs those match up exploiting teams like the Patriots and Chiefs. 

I'd attribute that to coaching more than personnel. I think after the Chiefs loss Ballard, Reich, Flus and whoever else probably spent a great deal of time contemplating what went wrong. That loss was ugly, and proved many things, chief among them that we were able to be exploited in a few key areas. I'm sure this draft was geared towards implementing future change, and I'm excited to what the system will look like as the pieces within that system continue to grow in strength, and evolve. 

Woods is still a FA. I just think he was the best for us at making the other 6 in the front 7 look better. He does all the dirty work which there wasn't a stat for. Grover Stewart we drafted and he's going into his 3rd year showed glimpses of the samething just not as consistent. He's still improving I hope. Point I was making is we has those great teams in the 2000 and year and year out all we lacked was that 1 guy that did all the dirty work in the front 7 that could free up Brock, Mathis and Freeney. Both Freeney and Mathis especially against the Patriots where doubled alot. Freeney with a T and a kick out G. Mathis with a T and TE or RB. Some may remember during those years we were screaming for a DT every year in the first and every year it went unanswered. While I beleive the Colts got better with this draft and a 13-3 record even with the schedule we have can be obtainable. Still think we need a big * up front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Ahhhh 

Carry on

OK so Banogu will be a Sam.

Can anyone provide a link to a game tape (not highlight film) showing him playing lb? 

I've watched about 5 game tapes and in everyone, he was lined up at DE (though he stood up a lot there).  He played the run well and set a good edge but never off the line in the more traditional look. 

Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed (someone thought I didn't like him because I felt he couldn't rush the passer), so this is not a shot at him.  Just want to watch film of our guys. 

13 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The Colts kept up with NE just fine last year with a team decimated by injuries. 

It is great to have a pocket collapsing DT. But to say you cant beat NE without it is a bit far fetched. 

I would say time of possession will win you more games than the DT. Which is on the offense. Then, the Patriots bread and butter on offense is short intermediate routes. We didnt have very many good cover lbers last year. Hopefully our new guys are better in this area. 

If so, the colts could easily beat the Patriots with a solid game plan. 

The Colts haven't had any good lbers since Gary brackett who didnt have an enormous amount of talent. I just dont see it. We arent trying to beat the patriots anyways.  We are making them beat us. According to Ballard. You should never draft a player or position in order to beat one team.