Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard Draft Recap Press Conference

Bluefire4

11 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

The Colts kept up with NE just fine last year with a team decimated by injuries. 

It is great to have a pocket collapsing DT. But to say you cant beat NE without it is a bit far fetched. 

I would say time of possession will win you more games than the DT. Which is on the offense. Then, the Patriots bread and butter on offense is short intermediate routes. We didnt have very many good cover lbers last year. Hopefully our new guys are better in this area. 

If so, the colts could easily beat the Patriots with a solid game plan. 

The Colts haven't had any good lbers since Gary brackett who didnt have an enormous amount of talent. I just dont see it. We arent trying to beat the patriots anyways.  We are making them beat us. According to Ballard. You should never draft a player or position in order to beat one team. 

The Colts never had a real chance to beat New England in that game last year.  Never got the feeling that we really threatened them.  Got within a score and then the Pats did what they typically do which is pull away while the depleted Colts made the costly turnovers.  Though valiant in defeat they fell nonetheless.   I do think we match up better now with a full healthy roster but nothing will come easy against New England. 

I like what Ballard is doing but until we construct a team that actually beats them I don’t share your confidence right now.  History shows we haven’t been able to figure out how to do that in the Luck era.  We lose by 2 touchdowns last year and are supposed to feel good about it?  Do you think we would have fared better against them in Foxboro in the playoffs than we did against Kansas City?    As long as Brady can continue to step up in the pocket unmolested he will continue to dink and dunk us into the offseason.  If we can’t plug the middle against the run, the Pats will continue to run the football down our throats whenever they choose.  

While on the right track...we are still building with a lot of youth on this roster.  Pats are still much more seasoned and experienced.  Nothing will be easy about beating them...I don’t care what game plan is being used. 

9 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The Colts never had a real chance to beat New England in that game last year.  Never got the feeling that we really threatened them.  Got within a score and then the Pats did what they typically do which is pull away while the depleted Colts made the costly turnovers.  Though valiant in defeat they fell nonetheless.   I do think we match up better now with a full healthy roster but nothing will come easy against New England. 

I like what Ballard is doing but until we construct a team that actually beats them I don’t share your confidence right now.  History shows we haven’t been able to figure out how to do that in the Luck era.  We lose by 2 touchdowns last year and are supposed to feel good about it?  Do you think we would have fared better against them in Foxboro in the playoffs than we did against Kansas City?    As long as Brady can continue to step up in the pocket unmolested he will continue to dink and dunk us into the offseason.  If we can’t plug the middle against the run, the Pats will continue to run the football down our throats whenever they choose.  

While on the right track...we are still building with a lot of youth on this roster.  Pats are still much more seasoned and experienced.  Nothing will be easy about beating them...I don’t care what game plan is being used. 

No one thinks it will be easy to beat them. I just dont think it was the DT position that has lost those games. 

The colts run defense was rather good last year. No one ran on us at will. No 100 yard games given up. 

And also, Brady is on the way out. I just dont see him getting better or maintaining this level of excellence. If you cant beat them with you scheme or game plan then what are you doing here? ... next year I see a heavy draft on dline and oline. Granted, every season reveals a new weakness on the team. 

And hopefully these 2 drafts are a sign of quality scouting.... hopefully. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

No one thinks it will be easy to beat them. I just dont think it was the DT position that has lost those games. 

The colts run defense was rather good last year. No one ran on us at will. No 100 yard games given up. 

Until we got knocked out of the playoffs by Kansas City in the snow when it mattered most.  D. Williams had 129 yards on 25 carries and the Chiefs netted 180 yards on the ground against our run defense.   Same tune played by a different team.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Until we got knocked out of the playoffs by Kansas City in the snow when it mattered most.  D. Williams had 129 yards on 25 carries and the Chiefs netted 180 yards on the ground against our run defense.   

And in that game a whole lot of things went wrong. Not just our run defense... last year the Colts overachieved. I suppose this year will show us where the colts are really at. 

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

And in that game a whole lot of things went wrong. Not just our run defense... last year the Colts overachieved. I suppose this year will show us where the colts are really at. 

True...I am speaking specifically to our run defense and showing the connection that continues regarding our post season exits.  It always factors in our ultimate post season demise...even when we think we have it fixed.  

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

True...I am speaking specifically to our run defense and showing the connection that continues regarding our post season exits.  It always factors in our ultimate post season demise...even when we think we have it fixed.  

Yeah and the colts did win the SB after we got booger... I do like the dline by commity approach though. And Ballard has significantly addressed the pass rush imo with FA and the draft. I really love that this was a heavy defensive draft. The only thing I dont like is that we lost Al woods who could take a double team on the regular. Hopefully we have someone who can also do this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Yeah and the colts did win the SB after we got booger... I do like the dline by commity approach though. And Ballard has significantly addressed the pass rush imo with FA and the draft. I really love that this was a heavy defensive draft. The only thing I dont like is that we lost Al woods who could take a double team on the regular. Hopefully we have someone who can also do this. 

Yes!...I do like a lot of what Ballard is doing.  Even his rotational approach to the line.  I just what us to have a big fatty option as well that we can plug in when needed.  Similar to Booger or Al Woods as you mentioned. I’m hoping for a late free agent signing to address that.  

14 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

???????  One of our best pass rushers came from the UT position.   Not sure what they have to be BIG!!!   Autry Ward and Hunt were very very good at UT.    Not to mention the up and coming player in Lewis.   

???? I don't want Autry on the field in running situations. Ward may or may not make the 53, and can he stop the run?
 Hunt is a solid backup that got way to many snaps last season. We will see if Lewis can stop the run inside without adding 15 plus pounds.
 We are suspect against the run against well rounded Playoff caliber offenses.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yes!...I do like a lot of what Ballard is doing.  Even his rotational approach to the line.  I just what us to have a big fatty option as well that we can plug in when needed.  Similar to Booger or Al Woods as you mentioned. I’m hoping for a late free agent signing to address that.  

Speaking of things, Muhammed Wilkerson's still available.

Feels like he's been in the league forever, but is only 29. Would not mind a 1 year flyer on him.

Good height and weight at 6'4'' 315 lbs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Sounds like hes willing to sign a guy with mistakes in his back ground. But are there any left in FA without questionable character issues?like suh. Haven't heard about him being a bad character since he was a Lion.  

Sometimes you just need a big butt to plug a hole. If our 4 dl can make them block us using there 5 ol. Than our lbs can use there speed to stop the running play. If they have a free ol trying to find someone to block we will get ran over.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Sounds like hes willing to sign a guy with mistakes in his back ground. But are there any left in FA without questionable character issues?like suh. Haven't heard about him being a bad character since he was a Lion.  

LaBryan Ray*, DT, Alabama 
Height: 6-5. Weight: 294. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.90. 
Projected Round (2020): 2-4

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I want Suh on a 1 or 2 year deal.  I'm not worried about his character issues, like you said there hasn't been much since he left Detroit.   I think our locker room and culture is strong enough to bring him in.  I don't mind if a few of our players have a little bit of a nasty streak in them.  Q can bring that on Offense and Suh would provide it on Defense.   

Aside from Suh, in my opinion not much jumps out.  But here is the short list of available free agent DT's.  I trust Ballard to identify the best fit for us...

Corey Liuget 

Cassius Marsh 

Ndamukong Suh 

Brent Urban 

Muhammad Wilkerson

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018613/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-free-agents-by-position

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I want Suh on a 1 or 2 year deal.  I'm not worried about his character issues, like you said there hasn't been much since he left Detroit.   I think our locker room and culture is strong enough to bring him in.  I don't mind if a few of our players have a little bit of a nasty streak in them.  Q can bring that on Offense and Suh would provide it on Defense.   

Aside from Suh, in my opinion not much jumps out.  But here is the short list of available free agent DT's.  I trust Ballard to identify the best fit for us...

Corey Liuget 

Cassius Marsh 

Ndamukong Suh 

Brent Urban 

Muhammad Wilkerson

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018613/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-free-agents-by-position

Getting Suh would be pretty exciting for this franchise 

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

???? I don't want Autry on the field in running situations. Ward may or may not make the 53, and can he stop the run?
 Hunt is a solid backup that got way to many snaps last season. We will see if Lewis can stop the run inside without adding 15 plus pounds.
 We are suspect against the run against well rounded Playoff caliber offenses.

His comment was about pass rush.   And BIG DT's.   

We were #9 in stopping the run sooooo.   As far as needing a DT.  Sure as long as its at the NT position.  We really are set at UT.  

20 hours ago, Matabix said:

Al Woods was good at UT. Even double teams wouldn't budge him. He freed it up for everyone else cause they had to double team him. They had to scheme for everyone else after he went down. Eventually you run out of schemes. Had a similar problem with Freeney and Mathis we had nobody inside them 2 that required double team till Booger got there and we know what happened that year. Grove Stewart may work but Al Woods already made it work. You have to have someone inside that requires both a G and C.

I really hope we bring him back for 1 more year 

4 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I just listened to it again.  you got it right.  Banogu is going to be interesting to see how he is used.  Green is the DE.

With all these LBs who will be the odd man out or will there be a lot of rotating?  The next few years as these guys develop will be fun!

Thank you.

My instincts say we gave Eberflus a new toy.    And BB is going to be a wild card,  an X-Factor if you will.   I think ME thinks BB will be helpful because defenses won't know where he will line-up on any given down and distance and won't be sure what he'll do even once they see him on the field.

Something unique.    How we use BB is going to be something to look for once the season starts.

• Like 1