Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

CR91

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is probably some thinking that Funchess can show more than when he was in Carolina, so there is an upside component to this signing.  If not with the Colts then, he signs a bigger contract to another team to help us get a comp pick.  

An older vet, regardless of profile, doesn't provide that factor.  Not to mention the WR with the different profile is who Ballard will probably draft. 

Even if he improves, I'm still not a fan, simply because I don't see him fitting a true need (which is getting a true #2 that can stretch the field and keep TY out of double coverage).

IMO, he's too similar to Ebron in terms of profil and use. Same height, but actually less athletic than Ebron. If we simply move targets from Ebron to him, it's not really a plus. We already have a highly productive big body target. DF may help in the RZ, I just don't see him doing much outside of that. If you want to say he's a nice addition to depth and the RZ, then OK. But we paid a lot for that. I'm just happy it's a one year deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think we re-sign Inman and draft Boykins in the third round

Hilton, Funchess, Inman, Boykins, Cain

Boykins is a more athletic Funch. Heck, Ebron is a more athletic Funch. All are 6-4. Both are faster than Funch, both have better verts, and both have much better catch %s. 

Certainly don't need 3. I would have preferred to draft Boykin, and left Funch for someone else lol.

2 hours ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Not quite the 1 yr prove it deal. But it's a position of need. Thinking tyrell wants a monster contract.

I don't know which is worse.. that we signed Funchess (for any amount) or that it means zero chance of signing a better WR as well.  It also makes me concerned about whether we'll even DRAFT a top receiver.  I hope Funchess balls out and we can come back to this and laugh at my suggesting this sounded so bad.. but man, when I heard this the "G" man flashed before my eyes.  In a word: Yuck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyBungee said:

I'm ok with this, but I'll feel much better if they go ahead & re-sign Inman.  

That’s where I am with this.  I think Funchess will do well enough with Luck as his QB.  I don’t think this guy is as bad as some here would have you to believe.  He can catch the ball in traffic, makes a good sized target and held down the number 1 receiver spot in Carolina for a couple of years. He could thrive in the number two role here...with more targets and more accurate passes coming his way. Not exactly the wideout I had in mind but I’ll give Ballard the benefit of the doubt given his track record thus far. 

I'm ok with this.  I think Chris Ballard wanted to get himself a big receiver.  But DK Metcalf will be gone by the time we pick at 26.  And he probably doesn't believe N'Keal Harry is worth it at 26.  Funchess doesn't need to be The Hero Of The Team.  We already have one in TY, and a backup hero in Ebron.  We just need a big guy who can catch the 5 yard slant for a first down, or the 12 yard back shoulder throw on the sideline.  It's only a one year deal, so that minimizes the risk if it falls through.  In the meantime, we re-sign Inman and Cain comes back.  Looks ok to me.  And if we pick AJ Brown at 26 or Campbell at 59, it will be even more so.  And this kid is still young, and has the chance to be more than he was with Cam Newton throwing at (near) him.  There's a risk it could fall through, but there's also a chance that he blossoms.  And Ballard no longer is required to pick a WR in the first two rounds.  He's freed up to be able to do what's best with the picks he has.  I'm ok with this.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Oopty Oop said:

Sure is better than Ryan Grant. 1 year overpaid contract to fill a glaring need.

Yes, you reminded me that they signed Grant.  So much for all the people saying "So you think you know more about WRs than Ballard" comments.  In the case of Ryan Grant, plenty of us were saying it was a bad signing. What is our biggest problem with the fringe receivers on this roster? They drop the ball.  When I think of Funchess, I think of times he dropped the ball when he was wide open.  I am sure others have his stats, I only remember seeing it happen via actual game play.  He underachieved every year with Carolina and I don't need to look at his stats for that either.  I saw him play. 

• Like 1

Ballard goes out and fills a need. People still complain about. I have no clue why people are so mad that we aren’t active in FA. Jim and Chris have said they wanted to save money for the future on multiple occasions. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It's one year and everything to play for... I love it. PROVE you belong in this locker room. 

My problem with these types of deals is that Ballard has recently shown this:

1. Rashaan Melvin was a player that developed with the Colts. He grew in his profession while he was a Colt. He earned a big contract and Ballard let him walk.

2. Desir was a journeyman until he got his chance with the Colts. He developed here, as a Colt and earned what will likely be a good payday for him. I don't think Ballard brings him back.

I guessing that if somehow Funchess plays well and earns a big contract next year, it won't be from Ballard.

So my honest opinion is that I feel like we could have done a lot better in terms of the WR position this FA.

That being said, I still see the logic behind this. He's young, has upside, fills a need and is only a 1 year deal so we can cut loose if it gets bad.

I'm skeptical, but I trust Ballard. Let's see what Reich can cook up with Funchess. Hopefully he can turn into a reliable 3rd down magnet. 

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

My problem with these types of deals is that Ballard has show this:

1. Rashaan Melvin was a player that developed with the Colts. He grew in his profession while he was a Colt. He earned a big contract and Ballard let him walk.

2. Desir was a journeyman until he got his chance with the Colts. He developed here, as a Colt and earned what will likely be a good payday for him. I don't think Ballard brings him back.

I guessing that if somehow Funchess plays well and earns a big contract next year, it won't be from Ballard.

Melvin wasn't horrible but he was literally the only decent looking player on a trash defense in 2017. By no means did he "earn a big contract". He didn't really do anything in Oakland last year. Desir has earned a lot more IMO than Melvin did. 

• Like 1

The problem with this deal is not that it's one year deal. It's that it's not more(non-guaranteed ones). We get all the downside of a prove it deal, while paying him like he's already proven it, without getting the upside of having him locked for lets say one more year(similar to Ebron's deal) in case he actually works out. So what happens if he works out? He will be up for another deal and an upgrade of the contract, probably not with us.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

My problem with these types of deals is that Ballard has show this:

So what if he does. It didn’t cost the colts much. If Cain is ready that could happen. Or we could end up with three great receivers.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Funchess is 24 years old, 6'4 WR.

He had Cam Newton's inaccurate arm throwing it to him. Cant judge him on that.

We have a year to judge it, I think he is going to have a great year with Luck.

Accuracy isn't an issue if A: You can't get open and B: When you are open, you drop the ball.  Funchess was Top 10 last year in Drops!  And for those who talk about Ebron, Ebron should have had dozens more catches and a few more TD's but he ALSO dropped a lot of balls.  Imagine if we had a guy like Ty Williams who is FASTER, runs BETTER routes AND can CATCH the ball! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Accuracy isn't an issue if A: You can't get open and B: When you are open, you drop the ball.  Funchess was Top 10 last year in Drops!  And for those who talk about Ebron, Ebron should have had dozens more catches and a few more TD's but he ALSO dropped a lot of balls.  Imagine if we had a guy like Ty Williams who is FASTER, runs BETTER routes AND can CATCH the ball! 

Who is to say we still don’t get Williams.

Just now, Luck 4 president said:

What happened to not overpaying FAs? I hope he works out and gets $3 mil in incentives, but it’s hard to believe he would’ve gotten this contract somewhere else.

We didn’t over pay. It’s a one year and has no risk.

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

Clearly you just like to complain. I don't have to imagine about TW(who I like), I live live in reality. I'm going to try to imagine Funchess having a big year, till I see other wise.

Have you ever seen Cam Newton throw a football?

I'm tired of hearing about catch %(not necessarily this post), when most of your targets are 3-4' too high or short hoping you. Cam Newton accuracy is atrocious.

• Like 1

Is it really going to be like this every year during free agency? Ballard has said over and over that he intends to build this team primarily through the draft. Yet every year people get all bent out shape because he doesn't go after the big name big money players. Ask the Washington Football Club how chasing big names has worked for them over the last 15 years. Ballard has proven to hit more than miss with his draft picks and free agent signings. Cut the guy some slack. Besides, we are still very early in free agency. Technically, it hasn't even begun yet so let's see what happens around the league before we circle the Colts facility with pitchforks and torches!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Is it really going to be like this every year during free agency? Ballard has said over and over that he intends to build this team primarily through the draft. Yet every year people get all bent out shape because he doesn't go after the big name big money players. Ask the Washington Football Club how chasing big names has worked for them over the last 15 years. Ballard has proven to hit more than miss with his draft picks and free agent signings. Cut the guy some slack. Besides, we are still very early in free agency. Technically, it hasn't even begun yet so let's see what happens around the league before we circle the Colts facility with pitchforks and torches!

The Raider franchise has done too well either

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How quickly they forget.     You really think you know more about Funchess than Chris Ballard and his team?      Get a grip.

What he's thinking is that the market for WR's went way over his comfort level and so he dropped out of the bidding when the numbers went crazy.    And he got a WR he can work with for 1-year.    Too long?     Should we have tried to sign him for a game to game contract?    You think that happens?

Ballard is the most disciplined GM in football.    He sets a number and when things get way, way out of whack,  he walks away.     Good for him.    Good for the club.   

Nobody was really happy a year ago when we signed Eric Ebron.     How'd that work out?

And yet he still signed Ryan Grant to a 1 yr deal to solve our WR problem.  And he himself admits to a large number of mistakes.  A blind spot for receivers is apparently one of those things.  And Ebron SHOULD have been even BETTER because he dropped the hell out of the ball last year as well.  When Luck puts it on your hands and you  only seemed focused to be sure you catch it in the END ZONE you have: Ebron.  He still has a lack of reliable hands everywhere else on the field.  So we need someone who can CATCH because that was our current crop of receivers problem... but guess what? Funchess had to be in the top 10 in drops last year from what I saw. 

Why are the receivers Ballard signs guys who drop the ball?  Our current WRs signed by him and now Funchess.  In my view Ebron underachieved.  He stayed healthy, that was his biggest accomplishment because Luck puts the ball right on the hands of receivers.  Ebron wasn't making many circus catches.  Only TY does that and it is because Luck trusts him to get it so he puts it in tough spots for the defense to intercept it.  Funchess will NOT get separation, so on the occasions that he IS open, Luck will put the ball on his hands, but history shows he drops it. 

Hold on... wait for it....

I didn't need to look it up, I knew from watching.  But I did check just now and it is WORSE than I thought.  Funchess had the WORST drop rate in the NFL!!!   https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/panthers-devin-funchess-kelvin-benjamin-drop-rate-nfl/   So he's slow, and he drops the ball.  I understand others might have been too expensive, but why sign this garbage?  Was he just in the wrong place?  Ironically, Benjamin in that same article left Carolina and STILL couldn't catch it in Buffalo. 

No one is perfect.  This appears to be team Colts scouting blind spot.  People who can't catch the ball.  We'd have been better off resigning Moncrief!   

Perhaps like Ebron, when it is on his hands in the end zone he might catch it, but we have one of those already.  SMH.   

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is what about 75% of the people in here said about Ebron too, how did that work out? I am not crazy about this signing but it is far from a bad one. For 10 Mill, only 1 year not bad at all. It is a need as well. People in here complaining (not just you) need to take a chill pill, JMO.

I watch the Panthers I know this is a bad signing.  I love Enron signing because he was awesome when he played for the North Carolina Tarheels.  

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We overpaid for the guy with the most drops in the NFL! Moncrief is faster and more reliable and I doubt would have cost as much.  

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Clearly you just like to complain. I don't have to imagine about TW(who I like), I live live in reality. I'm going to try to imagine Funchess having a big year, till I see other wise.

Have you ever seen Cam Newton throw a football?

I'm tired of hearing about catch %(not necessarily this post), when most of your targets are 3-4' too high or short hoping you. Cam Newton accuracy is atrocious.

You apparently haven't watched NC the past 4 seasons.  He was WORST in the NFL for drops! WORST.  But I knew that before I even looked it up because I watched every single Carolina game! Sure, Cam can't throw.  They don't ding a WR for uncatchable passes.  

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Last year, through FA we added Ryan Grant. It was a 1 year deal and had no risk. It was intended to address our WR depth issues. It was a failed attempt, and because of that, we now have to spend up to 13 M to once again address the same issue. There is always a risk.

Funchess is another "1-year, no risk" signing. Similarly to Grant, I think if Funchess does not perform well, we do not sign him and it's a waste of money two years in a row.

If Funchess does perform really well, he'll earn a contract that Ballard may not be willing to pay. Once again, we will be back in this situation, looking to shore up the WR group, or spending draft picks on what could have been addressed already.

Meanwhile, D. Inman, who did perform well on his contract is not currently re-signed by the Colts possibly because he wants a contract that Ballard may now be willing to give.

16 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Yes, you reminded me that they signed Grant.  So much for all the people saying "So you think you know more about WRs than Ballard" comments.  In the case of Ryan Grant, plenty of us were saying it was a bad signing. What is our biggest problem with the fringe receivers on this roster? They drop the ball.  When I think of Funchess, I think of times he dropped the ball when he was wide open.  I am sure others have his stats, I only remember seeing it happen via actual game play.  He underachieved every year with Carolina and I don't need to look at his stats for that either.  I saw him play. 

Ballard nailed it last year in the draft. He didn't nail it with previous FA WRs. 

Some folks are all like #InBallardWeTrust... lol... 

I love Ballard, love what he's doing, but he isn't God. Huge improvement over the last GM, but he isn't perfect, and he's going to make moves that don't work out (he already has). Ebron move was awesome, Grant was not.

16 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Ballard goes out and fills a need. People still complain about. I have no clue why people are so mad that we aren’t active in FA. Jim and Chris have said they wanted to save money for the future on multiple occasions. 

Except a 6-4 WR that is arguably slower and has far less catch % than our 6-4 TE doesn't really fit a need of a WR2 to take the double team coverage off of TY.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

While only a 1 year deal, we paid him top 20 WR money (yearly salary rank). He's not close to top 20. 

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

Last year, through FA we added Ryan Grant. It was a 1 year deal and had no risk. It was intended to address our WR depth issues. It was a failed attempt, and because of that, we now have to spend up to 13 M to once again address the same issue. There is always a risk.

Funchess is another "1-year, no risk" signing. Similarly to Grant, I think if Funchess does not perform well, we do not sign him and it's a waste of money two years in a row.

If Funchess does perform really well, he'll earn a contract that Ballard may not be willing to pay. Once again, we will be back in this situation, looking to shore up the WR group, or spending draft picks on what could have been addressed already.

Meanwhile, D. Inman, who did perform well on his contract is not currently re-signed by the Colts possibly because he wants a contract that Ballard may now be willing to give.

Sometimes you have to throw a dart at the board when you have a need. We need our draft and young receivers to catch up. There is nothing wrong with this deal. There is no risk. 

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Ballard nailed it last year in the draft. He didn't nail it with previous FA WRs. 

Some folks are all like #InBallardWeTrust... lol... 

I love Ballard, love what he's doing, but he isn't God. Huge improvement over the last GM, but he isn't perfect, and he's going to make moves that don't work out (he already has). Ebron move was awesome, Grant was not.

Except a 6-4 WR that is arguably slower and has far less catch % than our 6-4 TE doesn't really fit a need of a WR2 to take the double team coverage off of TY.

While only a 1 year deal, we paid him top 20 WR money (yearly salary rank). He's not close to top 20. 

It has no impact on what we do in the future. That is the point.

3 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

And yet he still signed Ryan Grant to a 1 yr deal to solve our WR problem.  And he himself admits to a large number of mistakes.  A blind spot for receivers is apparently one of those things.  And Ebron SHOULD have been even BETTER because he dropped the hell out of the ball last year as well.  When Luck puts it on your hands and you  only seemed focused to be sure you catch it in the END ZONE you have: Ebron.  He still has a lack of reliable hands everywhere else on the field.  So we need someone who can CATCH because that was our current crop of receivers problem... but guess what? Funchess had to be in the top 10 in drops last year from what I saw. 

Why are the receivers Ballard signs guys who drop the ball?  Our current WRs signed by him and now Funchess.  In my view Ebron underachieved.  He stayed healthy, that was his biggest accomplishment because Luck puts the ball right on the hands of receivers.  Ebron wasn't making many circus catches.  Only TY does that and it is because Luck trusts him to get it so he puts it in tough spots for the defense to intercept it.  Funchess will NOT get separation, so on the occasions that he IS open, Luck will put the ball on his hands, but history shows he drops it. 

Hold on... wait for it....

I didn't need to look it up, I knew from watching.  But I did check just now and it is WORSE than I thought.  Funchess had the WORST drop rate in the NFL!!!   https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/panthers-devin-funchess-kelvin-benjamin-drop-rate-nfl/   So he's slow, and he drops the ball.  I understand others might have been too expensive, but why sign this garbage?  Was he just in the wrong place?  Ironically, Benjamin in that same article left Carolina and STILL couldn't catch it in Buffalo. 

No one is perfect.  This appears to be team Colts scouting blind spot.  People who can't catch the ball.  We'd have been better off resigning Moncrief!   

Perhaps like Ebron, when it is on his hands in the end zone he might catch it, but we have one of those already.  SMH.   

As Ballard himself noted...   Grant was ok until he got nicked up.

As for Ebron underachieving... we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

As for Ballard having a blind spot for receivers...  he did well enough with a mostly makeshift  undrafted free agent unit that the Cokts offense was pretty good.   Plus, it’s a small sample size.   Again mostly 1 year deals.

if you’re going to make mistakes, you try to make small ones.   So again, agree to disagree.

9 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

I watch the Panthers I know this is a bad signing.  I love Enron signing because he was awesome when he played for the North Carolina Tarheels.  

I figured by your handle you were from NC but Ebron underachieved in Detroit as well. He is good here, I think playing with Luck he will do well here. It is only for 1 year so I am ok with this. I personally wanted Williams or Humphries but not happening it looks like. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It has no impact on what we do in the future. That is the point.

As with any fiscal responsibility, you try not to spend money on what you don't need. As I've said in other posts, he's too similar (size/use), but less athletic than Ebron, doesn't fit the profile of a WR2, and we paid top 20 WR. 

You can say it has no impact, but that's 10-13M we could have used on another FA DE, S, CB, DL, WR, or really anyone else that fit a true need. 

No disrespect, but please explain how a 6-4, slow WR, with poor catch % deserves top 20 WR money when he doesn't fit the core WR2 profile (one that will keep double coverage off TY, and can stretch the field) that we are lacking.

Hell, we only paid 6M IIRC for Ebron.

40 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Because he filled a need with just a guy.

Does anyone think he is really a long term solution?

I don't.

Lets not waste anymore of Luck's years.

I don't care about the money or the 1 year.

I care that we are spinning our wheels when the chance to get not just good,  but great....was right there for the taking with Bell and/or AB.

This team is ready to win NOW with the right additions.

We have the cap. 

There was Bell and AB out there.  And OBJ for the right trade.

Instead we sign Funch.  

Those are two different universes.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Not that Ballard didn't want to pay less.  But the need for a product and the quality of product on the shelves can make folks spend a bit more than they want.  Ya gotta eat.  

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

WE had $100 mil in cap space and we spent $13 mil on a one-year deal for a guy whose only fault is: He hasn't lived up to his first round selection.

This is a shrewd deal.  If it fails, he's out in a year.

If he catches 63 passes for 840 yards (which he did 2 years ago) we win

We wanted a big WR for Andrew....Here he is. 6-foot-4, 225....And he's 25 years old.

Theres' no downside here

He was a second rounder. And he hasn't lived up to that selection, either. But that's not my problem. 

My problem is I think we could have signed a better receiver for the same -- actually, less -- money. And that's my opinion of this player and his fit for the team, vs the rest of the market and their fit for the team. 

But even if I liked the player, and the price, the 'we have a lot of cap space' argument falls short. As Doc Brown always told Marty McFly: You're not thinking fourth dimensionally. You don't determine a player's value on the basis of how much cap space you have. Just like you don't determine how much you're going to pay for gas on the basis of how much extra money you have. Gas has value; you don't pay an extra forty cents/gallon just because you had a few extra bucks.

And of course I defer to Ballard and Reich and their staffs, but this doesn't fit my thoughts on what we needed, and what we should have paid.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can’t overpay a one year deal lol. Take a chill pill.

I disagree.. you could have paid that same money to someone who can catch! Or someone who can SEPARATE.  Ebron 2.0 means at BEST, the very BEST case scenario is that we have 2 guys that can do the same thing which is like having two identical centers in the NBA who can't rebound or block shots, but give them the ball at the hoop and they can dunk.  But you don't need two of them do you? Or how about just signing someone else in another position if this was the only guy available who could play WR this year for 10 million. 

Remember, we didn't successfully teach our current young WRs how to catch consistently, why would we expect him to come in for one year and he's going to learn from our coaches how to catch suddenly?  If so, why couldn't they teach the other guys on the team?  I would have rather we just locked down Inman.  He's clearly still the second best hands/wr on the team.   

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Huh? I watched the games. His opinion of Funchess isn't actually all that bad.

One...   I’m speaking generally.   

Once you get get away from you and your opinion and start talking about your friends opinion of the fan base view then I don’t care. 

I just don’t trust opinions several times removed.

Two....   I’m not defending Funchess...  I’ve already stated here that I don’t like him.   Not a fan.   I’m only saying on a 1-year deal I’ll live with the judgement of Ballard and his team.

I don’t think there’s a stat that Ballard and his team are not aware of.   And they still signed him.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He was a second rounder. And he hasn't lived up to that selection, either. But that's not my problem. 

My problem is I think we could have signed a better receiver for the same -- actually, less -- money. And that's my opinion of this player and his fit for the team, vs the rest of the market and their fit for the team. 

But even if I liked the player, and the price, the 'we have a lot of cap space' argument falls short. As Doc Brown always told Marty McFly: You're not thinking fourth dimensionally. You don't determine a player's value on the basis of how much cap space you have. Just like you don't determine how much you're going to pay for gas on the basis of how much extra money you have. Gas has value; you don't pay an extra forty cents/gallon just because you had a few extra bucks.

And of course I defer to Ballard and Reich and their staffs, but this doesn't fit my thoughts on what we needed, and what we should have paid.

Agree.  I think Humphries, barring a AB signing or OBJ trade, was exactly what the team needed.  A speedy sure handed underneath guy to let Hilton run more free.

A Stokley part 2.  

Instead we got.....Funch.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I figured by your handle you were from NC but Ebron underachieved in Detroit as well. He is good here, I think playing with Luck he will do well here. It is only for 1 year so I am ok with this. I personally wanted Williams or Humphries but not happening it looks like. 

All the talk about Ebron underachieving in Detroit is a little strange to me. Indy uses Ebron differently plain and simple. Also, Ebron had a higher catch % in Detroit his last three years, than he did last year with the Colts. in 2016, Ebron had a better YPG and YPC aveage than he did in 2018. He was targeted a bunch more last year because we didn't have a legit #2 WR, so he had more opportunity. And we used him in the RZ a lot more, which translated into a league high for TDs.  He never sucked in Detroit. His catch % was better in Detroit, and has always been far better than Funchess.