Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CR91

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

Just now, IinD said:

Yeah I'll never understand this type thinking before the guys even been to Indy or gotten a jersey sized yet.. Lol

Almost exactly what some here said about Ebron

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Almost exactly what some here said about Ebron

I do see the 'complaining just to complain' vibe we poke fun at daily here.:)

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

With $100M in cap space, overpaying a few mill is no big deal.  The important thing is that there is nothing guaranteed.  

Doesn't change any draft plans except that we won't be drafting that big, slow, physical WR that so many love.  JMO.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Great pickup...The price does not matter because its a one-year deal.

This is a proven guy who will be better in doors with Luck.

Very similar to getting Ebron...

63 catches in 2017......44 catches in 218

But he's been 'disappointing' right?

He'll catch more than 63 passes for us

This is some faulty logic here. Just because you have extra money in the bank this month doesn't mean it's okay to spend frivolously. There will be bills and surprise expenses next month.

Just now, threeflight said:

To me it really isn't about the money and one year.

It is the fact that it seems we will be spinning our wheels again for a #2 WR or a 1A wr instead of actually going out and getting quality in AB or OBJ.

How many times have we done this the past several years?  Endless.

I personally like Williams and actually some do not in here. Funchess is a lot like Ebron IMO, big and strong and talented but has underachieved much like Ebron did in Detroit. He has the ability to be good especially with Luck throwing him the ball and playing indoors.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

This is some faulty logic here. Just because you have extra money in the bank this month doesn't mean it's okay to spend frivolously. There will be bills and surprise expenses next month.

Not that Ballard didn't want to pay less.  But the need for a product and the quality of product on the shelves can make folks spend a bit more than they want.  Ya gotta eat.  

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

WE had $100 mil in cap space and we spent $13 mil on a one-year deal for a guy whose only fault is: He hasn't lived up to his first round selection.

This is a shrewd deal.  If it fails, he's out in a year.

If he catches 63 passes for 840 yards (which he did 2 years ago) we win

We wanted a big WR for Andrew....Here he is. 6-foot-4, 225....And he's 25 years old.

Theres' no downside here

To those complaining about paying Funchess $13m you need to realize that if he ends up actually making $13m then it means he reached his incentives.  Which is a good thing.  Besides, CB has to spend it somewhere so giving Devin a premium deal at $10m when he is probably only worth $8m/ per is worth the extra $2m to regenerate that cap space next offseason.  This philosophy will pay off but I have no doubt that Ballard would go big if the situation ever warranted it.  

This is a smart move. The colts have to spend money and there isn't anyone this year worth a large multiyear contract for them. Funchess is solid and if it doesnt work out they have money for next year. This is how the Patriots built a dynasty.

19 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Bottom line is all of Ballards' moves ended with a 10-6 record and a playoff berth last year.

You wanna nitpick about Ryan Grant, go ahead.

He was a FA WR. So was Aiken. That's not nitpicking...that's a trend. 

If I wanted to nitpick...I would say that 10-6 team couldn't move the ball against KC in the playoffs. And Funchess doesn't seem like the type that would help in that situation.

I don't know why it's against the rules to not like a Ballard move. I liked Ebron...I liked Autry. I didn't like Grant.

When the best argument is the "Colts were 10-6 last year so trust the binder"...maybe it's fair to have a different viewpoint.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

WE had $100 mil in cap space and we spent $13 mil on a one-year deal for a guy whose only fault is: He hasn't lived up to his first round selection.

This is a shrewd deal.  If it fails, he's out in a year.

If he catches 63 passes for 840 yards (which he did 2 years ago) we win

We wanted a big WR for Andrew....Here he is. And he's 25 years old.

Theres' no downside here

I agree 100%. With it only being 1 year, if he flops he is gone. I think he will play good here in our system. Like I said earlier, I am not crazy about this pickup but it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. 

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Someone over in the tampering thread said he is a very good blocker. 

What don’t you get that it is only a one year deal. 

Are you implying something here? I don't really care about the $ or the fact that it is a prove it deal, we need a wr1 or 2. 1 year or 10, at 10 mil a pop,  I would assume we are hoping for more than wr3 production.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree 100%. With it only being 1 year, if he flops he is gone. I think he will play good here in our system. Like I said earlier, I am not crazy about this pickup but it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. 

I wish we signed everybody to a one-year deal..

He was a good player in college and he hasn't failed in 4 years./.he just hasn't lived up to where he was drafted.

I think he could catch 1,000 yards worth of balls this coming season.

Andrew gets the ball to everybody..

I like this a lot... and, if I'm wrong,  he leaves for a compensatory pick.

How can we lose here.?

Not the biggest fan of Funchess, but there's not really any risk in this signing. 

Funchess is 24 and it's a one year deal. If he produces he gets resigned, if not he goes. Nothing to be upset about. If Adam Humphries or Tyrell Williams doesn't work out, we would have them on the books with high cap hits for several years. 

I would love to get the second receiver position filled with an impact player though. Whether that's Funchess, Cain, or somebody early in the draft, TY deserves to have a legitimate threat on the other side of him.

1 minute ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Are you implying something here? I don't really care about the $ or the fact that it is a prove it deal, we need a wr1 or 2. 1 year or 10, at 10 mil a pop,  I would assume we are hoping for more than wr3 production.

How do you know he can’t be a two. When Cam was healthy he had over 800 yards. Luck is more accurate.

2 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

we are and with a better QB than he was playing with....we'll get it from Funchess

You'll see.

7 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Theres' no downside here

Plus if he leaves next year, we will most likely get a comp pick from him.

Lots of value in a 1yr deal.

Watched a lot of his games at Carolina being a southern transplant. Also remember him well at UM. 

Cons

-Ran 4.7s at combine. Ran 4.48 at UM's pro day. Pro days are always the most "generous"

-No second gear, and not a lot of vertical. 

-Sub par catch %. Definitely has drop issues (he had them in college too).

-Catches the ball with his body a lot (which is part of the problem with drops)

-Became WR1 in 2017, and still did not eclipse 1000 yards

-His production dropped in 2018, a year in which Newton had his best completion % (67.9%)

Pros

-Big target. Played TE too. More a less a hybrid type guy.

-Decent at out-bodying defenders

-It's only a one year deal. Either a short term rental to get over the hump, or a prove it deal.

Glass half empty thoughts

One of the least sexy FA WR acquisitions we could have expected. On field production has been a big meh. Too much of a tweener position wise to be a true WR2.

Glass have full thoughts

Big body mismatch, who should help in the redzone. If used in the right way, could be intermediate threat, or used similar to Ebron. Might improve with increased accuracy of Luck, or simply just reinvent via the fresh start. 

Opinion

It's a big meh to me. It's a short term deal so I'm not going to + a whole lot. He could turn his career around, or he could get lost in the depth chart. He has a lot of similar traits to Ebron, but Ebron has always had a much higher catch %. Stafford's average completion % is around 62, and Newtons is roughly 60 (so not a huge difference in who's dealing the ball, though Stafford does throw a "nicer" ball). Ebron is more athletic (top performer at the combine in 40 and jump), the same height, 20+ more pounds, so I just don't get this one. In short, will help with RZ and depth, and gone next year.

Not understanding what the big deal is. It's a low risk contract with upside with a ton of cap. :facepalm: I'm thinking some are only butthurt because we didn't sign their guy. To me Ballard already knows he's going to get his No. 2 in the draft and he likes this drafts WR crop. Which I can't blame him. 

Just now, w87r said:

Plus if he leaves next year, we will most likely get a comp pick from him.

Lots of value in a 1yr deal.

absolutely......

there are low risk moves?  This is a no-risk move.

We can only benefit from this. It cant hurt us

To me this gives me an "OK I guess...… whatever " type of feeling .

3 minutes ago, Mr.ZapRowsdower said:

Not understanding what the big deal is. It's a low risk contract with upside with a ton of cap. :facepalm: I'm thinking some are only butthurt because we didn't sign their guy. To me Ballard already knows he's going to get his No. 2 in the draft and he likes this drafts WR crop. Which I can't blame him. 

Best post of the thread.

Oh no. I’m upset we didn’t sign someone that I wanted. I’m a better GM and consultant than Ballard and anyone in the Colts FO. 

Give me me a break. This is the same song and dance from a lot of the same people last year, and look how things turned out. 

You all knew from the start we weren’t going to spend unnecessary money or overspend on a FA just because he’s a big name. 

Last time that happened, literally none of those signings worked out besides Gore. Just be happy we addressed an issue without being stuck in a long term deal with someone that may not even truly WANT to play football. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.ZapRowsdower said:

This is where I am. Not a fan of the signing atll, but I'm assuming we are going for WR2 with the first three picks. If not, I'll be more critical. 

I don't like for the reasons posted above, and it's fact/stat based, not because I wanted another guy. I was not a fan of the TW talk either. For a 1 year rental, I'd just prefer someone with different traits/profile.

Funchess is getting a one year deal and if history is an indication CB has him on a team friendly deal. We have a 24 yr old betting on himself. If he builds on his 2017 season with a better QB that throws to his WR’s great if not he walks. 

We have a lot of young WR talent on this team to develop and we are likely adding  to it in the draft. It wasn’t popular but I have thought all along we like the young guys we have. The coaches a chance to do their jobs.

The WR group reminds me a little of our CB’s last off season. There will be a lot of folks unhappy with the group to start the year.  It will be interesting to see if Inman or Rogers are back. 

Just now, akcolt said:

Funchess is getting a one year deal and if history is an indication CB has him on a team friendly deal. We have a 24 yr old betting on himself. If he builds on his 2017 season with a better QB that throws to his WR’s great if not he walks. 

We have a lot of young WR talent on this team to develop and we are likely adding  to it in the draft. It wasn’t popular but I have thought all along we like the young guys we have. The coaches a chance to do their jobs.

The WR group reminds me a little of our CB’s last off season. There will be a lot of folks unhappy with the group to start the year.  It will be interesting to see if Inman or Rogers are back. 

If Rogers doesn’t come back Colts will get another 2

It's a low-risk move with potentially a big pay off. Ballard strikes again IMO. I can see a WR being drafted in the first three rounds. 

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

This is where I am. Not a fan of the signing atll, but I'm assuming we are going for WR2 with the first three picks. If not, I'll be more critical. 

I don't like for the reasons posted above, and it's fact/stat based, not because I wanted another guy. I was not a fan of the TW talk either. For a 1 year rental, I'd just prefer someone with different traits/profile.

There is probably some thinking that Funchess can show more than when he was in Carolina, so there is an upside component to this signing.  If not with the Colts then, he signs a bigger contract to another team to help us get a comp pick.  

An older vet, regardless of profile, doesn't provide that factor.  Not to mention the WR with the different profile is who Ballard will probably draft. 

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Rogers is not a legit #2. Speed/size combo is about as meh as can be. Good catch rate though, but that's simply not enough.

Let's hope the Colts get another 2.

I don't know how you sign Futchess for $13 M but let Humpries, who in my mind is 10 x the WR that Futchess is, sign with someone else for less.

Just crazy and imo Ballard has already blown this.  

AB gone.

Bell going to be gone.

Humphries gone.

Williams going to be gone.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Rogers has been disappointing IMO. I could see bringing Inman back and moving on. We have Pascal Fountain Cain and Ishmael in year 2 then Johnson in year 2 with the team.  We are growing our own to do that young guys gotta play. Coaches have to develop talent 

1 minute ago, HectorRoberts said:

I like this! It has a very Ebron like feeling for me!

Andrew Luck is a better passing QB than Cam Newton.

Funchess will like being in Indy..and like Ebron, he's a former No.1 pick

He's got the ability

I really like it, too.

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

Rogers has been disappointing IMO. I could see bringing Inman back and moving on. We have Pascal Fountain Cain and Ishmael in year 2 then Johnson in year 2 with the team.  We are growing our own to do that young guys gotta play. Coaches have to develop talent 

The team just tendered CR and MJ so unless someone offers them mega deals they will be back

5 minutes ago, threeflight said:

I don't know how you sign Futchess for $13 M but let Humpries, who in my mind is 10 x the WR that Futchess is, sign with someone else for less.

AB gone.

Bell going to be gone.

Humphries gone.

Its not 13 mil. Its 10 mil with 3 mil in incentives. 

4 minutes ago, threeflight said:

AB gone.

Bell going to be gone.

Humphries gone.

So what part of Boston are you from?

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Its not 13 mil. Its 10 mil with 3 mil in incentives. 

Yep and that is actually a huge difference. He doesn't get 13 Mill unless he performs well.

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

AB gone.

Bell going to be gone.

Humphries gone.

Wish we could add you to that list.

All these negative comments are just too funny to me.

This signing does not mean we don’t draft a WR. It also doesn’t mean we don’t sign another one. Ballard said he wants competition at every position.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

This signing does not mean we don’t draft a WR. It also doesn’t mean we don’t sign another one. Ballard said he wants competition at every position.

I think we re-sign Inman and draft Boykins in the third round

Hilton, Funchess, Inman, Boykins, Cain

4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

So what part of Boston are you from?

Not anywhere close to Boston.

Born in MI and live now in S Cal.

I am a Orioles, Colts, Pistons, Red wings fan.