Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

CR91

10 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

And if the Colts didn't have Ebron at TE...I might be be alright with Funcess in that role. But as a WR2...no thanks.

Who says he will be WR2? And he can be cut if he under performs with little to no cap hit

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i was actually pretty stoked when we signed ebron, i did think he would do something here

this one feels like we over paid a bit to fill a need.  

We have 102 million in cap space and we signed a one year deal. Why do people think overpaying is a big deal? We aren’t going after big names.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

i was actually pretty stoked when we signed ebron, i did think he would do something here

this one feels like we over paid a bit to fill a need.  

IMO, Ballard wanted a 1 yr. rental while they see what they have in Cain. He has been clear that he wants to draft his talent. Personally, I'd have rather brought Inman back, but he likely wanted a 3 year deal. 

• Like 2

Just now, BlueCollarColts said:

We have 102 million in cap space and we signed a one year deal. Why do people think overpaying is a big deal? We aren’t going after big names.

id rather they went after the big names...

10 million+ isnt even that much less than what they will get

• Like 1

One of my favorite things in life is to go out to stores on Christmas Eve and watch people stress over choosing gifts last-minute.  I casually walk around (usually smiling) and take in all the holidays have to offer like parents yelling at their kids, couples arguing, etc.  it really helps me put things in perspective.

I have another FAVORITE thing.... coming here around free agency and draft time.

It reminds me that i'm not nearly as "crazy" as i thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

The money is whatever...I just don't care for Funchess...at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyD4U said:

6'4" ran a 4.7 40...former 2nd round pick. 

I'm okay with this. Big body and he's an upgrade over who is currently on the roster 

Pretty much this. Our #2 receiver for a lot of last year was.. Ryan Grant? Chester Rogers? Inman helped out and we can still bring him back if we want.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Read somewhere it's 9.5 base salary with a max of 13 if he gets 1000 and 8 TDs.

So that's a little nicer

thats a pretty steep incentive if he has to get both.  that would be approaching a top 10 WR in the league.  if he hits those numbers you could probably add another 5 million and no one would complain

ty had 1270 yds and 6 tds last year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyD4U said:

6'4" ran a 4.7 40...former 2nd round pick. 

I'm okay with this. Big body and he's an upgrade over who is currently on the roster 

He ran 4.37 at his pro day. Not sure what happened at the combine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Golden Tate sucks and is old. Tyrell Williams will sign a Landon Collins-esque dumb contract. And, Adam Humphries... lol, no.

Ballard had one of the best offseasons in history last year, people. Maybe cut him a little slack.

Golden Tate does not suck,  which is why he's going to sign a good contract.    

It's not like every player in the NFL just sucks once they turn 30.    He hasn't had a bad year since.... when?      Why you think he sucks is a mystery....

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I guess this means Dontrelle Inman won’t be resigned?  Is Funchess supposed to be our two or will Ballard try to draft our #2 WR?   Funny how a signing leads to many more questions.  

No.    Don't connect the dots.     Inman still has a decent chance of re-signing.

That decision has not been made yet.

Try this.....

Hilton, Funchess,  Draft Pick, Inman,  Cain.       That's five.    If Ballard wants six, he has room for one more.

It's not over for Inman --- yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So you can't give a 3rd and a 5th and $17 m to perhaps one of the top 5 greatest wrs of all time, but you can give $13 M to a guy who has consistently underachieved his entire career.

Not a fan of this....at all.  He may do well for the Colts, but you could have had AB instead of the walking statue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

id rather they went after the big names...

10 million+ isnt even that much less than what they will get

No,  but the one year is the key for us.

Beats being way overpaid on a 5-year deal.

Top guys aren't signing a 1-year deal.

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

No.    Don't connect the dots.     Inman still has a decent chance of re-signing.

That decision has not been made yet.

Try this.....

Hilton, Funchess,  Draft Pick, Inman,  Cain.       That's five.    If Ballard wants six, he has room for one more.

It's not over for Inman --- yet.

Ok...that makes me feel better. 

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

So you can't give a 3rd and a 5th and $17 m to perhaps one of the top 5 greatest wrs of all time, but you can give $13 M to a guy who has consistently underachieved his entire career.

Not a fall of this....at all.  He may do well for the Colts, but you could have had AB instead of the walking statue.

Brown is a nutcase

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

thats a pretty steep incentive if he has to get both.  that would be approaching a top 10 WR in the league.  if he hits those numbers you could probably add another 5 million and no one would complain

ty had 1270 yds and 6 tds last year

Exactly so in the scenario that he does make 13 million, literally nobody will be complaining cause he'll have had perhaps a pro bowl calibre season

• Like 3

People on here always say they want good route runners who can get separation. 

Funchess is the worst at that or close to it. And he has drop issues.

Terrible player.

We have to pray that Cain is grabbing that spot opposite TY. He has speed, separation, route running, ball skills... really everything that Funchess doesn’t. Cain hasn’t proven it in the NFL, but based on reports from last year he likely will. And he must now with this awful signing.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

No,  but the one year is the key for us.

Beats being way overpaid on a 5-year deal.

I wanted to get your take on this, NCF.

Hypothetically, if Funchess performs well this year with Luck, he would be in for a big payday, wouldn't he? And Ballard isn't known for giving out big paydays.

Is this essentially just a 1-year deal? Especially if Funchess performs really well?

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm done. Collins goes for $14 million and we sign a garbage receiver in Funchess for $13 million. F Ballard. Can't take this anymore.

Collins got SIX years.      Funchess signs for One.

Why is this hard to figure out?

And you literally wrote F Ballard.     Really?     Seriously? 

Why are you doing this to yourself?

I love one year deals like this though honestly, regardless of how I feel about Funchess. When you have the cap space like we do, why not? If he sucks, we don't have to re-sign him. If he's not great but serviceable, we can hopefully get him cheaper. If he's solid with us and turns it around, then awesome.

It's a pretty win/win situation, or at least there's not much to lose from it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

I wanted to get your take on this, NCF.

Hypothetically, if Funchess performs well this year with Luck, he would be in for a big payday, wouldn't he? And Ballard isn't known for giving out big paydays.

Is this essentially just a 1-year deal? Especially if Funchess performs really well?

I guess it depends on a variety of things...     Just how good is the 1-year year?

What are our other options a year from now?      Who are the FA WR's available then?

Who are the draft pick WR's we take in 19 and again in 20?    

Lots of moving pieces....   I'm sorry I can't give you a good answer for another 13-14 months....

To be clear.....   I'm not a fan of Funchess.    But I can live comfortably with this because it's only a 1-year deal.