Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

CR91

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Man I hope so. But my brother-in-law is a Panthers fan and I watch a lot more CAR football games than I would ever want to. Funchess is a bum.

I loved the Ebron signing. This is much different. Luck isn't going to throw the ball to a guy who can't separate and drops the ball.

In my nearly 7 years here, I have always preached one thing....    never, ever take the word of a family member or a friend about the quality of an NFL player.

With respect, your BiL being a Panthers fan means nothing to me.     If My Brother in Law was a fan,  I wouldn't care one bit.     The fan base knows nothing.    They're often as wrong as can be.

Don't you think Ballard has earned even a little trust?     Because the worst that can happen is Funchess doesn't work out for us for one year.     One season.    That's it.   And then we move on.

• Like 1

Just now, IinD said:

Just to expand on this signing:

He could be more of a package type WR, not an every down WR. How many times did we wish we had a big red zone wr last year?

I'm trying to stay positive because maybe Frank specifically asked for a guy like this that he could scheme with.

Um we had Ebron who had a pro bowl year. I don’t think anyone was saying we were hurting for a red zone target.

here is our new guy

A really BIG target - 237 Lbs... WR??

Its says he ran a 4.7 at Combine, but ran a 4.5 at Proday

Not sure if this is a big deal or not....... seems like a lot of money

But.........    I if CB says its good....... he has earned MY BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With $100M in cap space, overpaying a few mill is no big deal.  The important thing is that there is nothing guaranteed.  

Doesn't change any draft plans except that we won't be drafting that big, slow, physical WR that so many love.  JMO.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

He ran 4.37 at his pro day. Not sure what happened at the combine.

I don't care much for the signing or the interview answers but I do feel better if he ran a 4.37 vs the combine 4.7. Maybe someone left a banana peel on th he combine track.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

No...it's impossible to have liked the Ebron move if you didn't like this move. They are the same thing...or some I have been told over at another SB.

I am originally from Detroit and have watched Ebron a lot.

I also tend to draft Cam a ton in my fantasy leagues so I see Futchess a ton.

Futchess is a jag.

Ebron, as much as he struggles in the D....you could see he had talent.

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I was talking about WR pickups...which is far more relevant than drafting a G or LB. But then you already knew that.

Bottom line is all of Ballards' moves ended with a 10-6 record and a playoff berth last year.

You wanna nitpick about Ryan Grant, go ahead.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

In my nearly 7 years here, I have always preached one thing....    never, ever take the word of a family member or a friend about the quality of an NFL player.

With respect, your BiL being a Panthers fan means nothing to me.     If My Brother in Law was a fan,  I wouldn't care one bit.     The fan base knows nothing.    They're often as wrong as can be.

Don't you think Ballard has earned even a little trust?     Because the worst that can happen is Funchess doesn't work out for us for one year.     One season.    That's it.   And then we move on.

I agree except when that relative is like my Dad who played college football and then coached the sport at the HS level for 30+ years

• Like 1

Let’s say ballard is a genius and he has a excellent year. Then Cain comes in and surprises everyone. Suddenly we have a very very good WR core. The guy is young and had close to 1000 yards with newton. Luck is more accurate. No reason we can’t see that again. There is no risk with this move at all. But it could pay off in ways we can’t even imagine. If Cain and him pay off this year we could have a WR core we always dreamed of.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

20 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Fine by me.  Ebron was really our only big target so another one was needed.  There are so many WRs I like in this draft class though so I hope we still take one.

I think WR could develop into a strength later in the season. 

7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

here is our new guy

A really BIG target - 237 Lbs... WR??

Its says he ran a 4.7 at Combine, but ran a 4.5 at Proday

Not sure if this is a big deal or not....... seems like a lot of money

But.........    I if CB says its good....... he has earned MY BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT!

Nice video. Thanks for posting. Maybe it will,prove to be a good signing.

2 minutes ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Where did Inman go?

Nowhere yet, but we also tendered Chester R. at a 2nd round level. Already have over 30 million in the WR group. The competition will be good in camp. I just don't see him coming back with Funchess in the mix. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ebron was basically playing the big WR. Id this guy works our that gives us to which is even better. He is kind of the same player as Ebron. But hopefully we can use the entire field with him.

Here is an example:

Kentucky had a basketball transfer at WR last year that only played in the red zone

Just now, ColtJ82 said:

Nowhere yet, but we also tendered Chester R. at a 2nd round level. Already have over 30 million in the WR group. The competition will be good in camp. I just don't see him coming back with Funchess in the mix. 

You forgot Marcus Johnson too

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ebron was basically playing the big WR. If this guy works out that gives us two which is even better. He is kind of the same player as Ebron. But hopefully we can use the entire field with him.

That's what I was hoping my text was saying :D..

Not always relying on a TE in the end zone, one who can come up with a drop at a crappy moment sometimes.

Our WR's do get pushed around at times. Size wise it's a plus I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IinD said:

That's what I was hoping my text was saying :D..

Not always relying on a TE in the end zone, one who can come up with a drop at a crappy moment sometimes.

Our WR's do get pushed around at times. Size wise it's a plus I think.

It can help the O with the coverage the D plays

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm done. Collins goes for $14 million and we sign a garbage receiver in Funchess for $13 million. F Ballard. Can't take this anymore.

I would have taken a serious look at LB fowler for the $14 but that's just me. lol

6 minutes ago, AlanNC said:

First boneheaded move by Ballard.  I have watched KF for years with the Panthers and he is awful.  Bad bad bad signing.

Yeah that is what about 75% of the people in here said about Ebron too, how did that work out? I am not crazy about this signing but it is far from a bad one. For 10 Mill, only 1 year not bad at all. It is a need as well. People in here complaining (not just you) need to take a chill pill, JMO.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I actually don’t mind this signing. Ballard is banking on the talent and upside of this young WR with a motivational prove it deal. 

If he doesn’t live up to the deal, we aren’t in a bad spot since he’s off the books next year. 

I still fully expect Ballard to draft at least 1 or 2 talented WRs in the draft. Funchess won’t be asked to do too much. Probably our #3 WR going into the 2019 season. 

Do wr3 get 10 possibly 13 mil a year? Im guessing Ballard has tad higher expectations.

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It can help the O with the coverage the D plays

Yeah I mean Reich obviously has sat down with Chris and they've watched tons of tape from last year and I'm sure this move is something they both noticed and wanted addressed.

Let's chill on the freaking out already. Not you, just saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

He has the size...hope he is a willing blocker in the run game. 

Someone over in the tampering thread said he is a very good blocker. 

1 minute ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Do wr3 get 10 possibly 13 mil a year? Im guessing Ballard has tad higher expectations.

What don’t you get that it is only a one year deal. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh? I watched the games. His opinion of Funchess isn't actually all that bad.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Great pickup...The price does not matter because its a one-year deal.

This is a proven guy who will be better in doors with Luck.

Very similar to getting Ebron...

63 catches in 2017......44 catches in 218

But he's been 'disappointing' right?

He'll catch more than 63 passes for us

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

Yeah I mean Reich obviously has say down with Chris and they've watched tons of take from last year and I'm sure this move is something they both noticed and wanted addressed.

Let's chill on the freaking out already. Not you, just saying.

It’s okay

I played for and became a very Offensive minded coach and was always looking for an advantage on the D

Ironic Part my Dad was always Defensive Centric

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Lighten up, folks....you're taking all the Funchess out of this. 

Yeah I'll never understand this type thinking before the guys even been to Indy or gotten a jersey sized yet.. Lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that is what about 75% of the people in here said about Ebron too, how did that work out? I am not crazy about this signing but it is far from a bad one. For 10 Mill, only 1 year not bad at all. It is a need as well. People in here complaining (not just you) need to take a chill pill, JMO.

To me it really isn't about the money and one year.

It is the fact that it seems we will be spinning our wheels again for a #2 WR or a 1A wr instead of actually going out and getting quality in AB or OBJ.

How many times have we done this the past several years?  Endless.