Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Devin Funchess (Merge)

CR91

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think we were alone in wanting him.   I suspect there was a small bidding war and he was the last option that we would sign.    I suspect all the other options were multiyear deals that we were not willing to meet or exceed.   This is the only thing that makes sense to me. 

I am sure we will get a better idea of what Ballard was thinking about this signing in his next presser.

We also haven't heard from Funchess himself yet either.

22 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Who complained about Nelson? Seriously.. who? A random poster maybe? But what regular bashed drafting Nelson? Of COURSE Ballard knows more than anyone here.  But are you saying he is perfect?  He doesn't.  He said in a recent interview that he couldn't even count how many stupid mistakes he had already made.  Plenty of people criticized Ryan Grant immediately when the signing happened, when we already desperately needed WR help addressed similarly to how we needed OL addressed and he blew that (he SAID so) in his first go round and too many people to count were quite vocal about it in real time as it was (not) happening. 

If we're not allowed to question Ballard's moves, then why not just make it a rule on the boards.. 2006Coltsbestever Proclaims "Thou shalt not disagree with Ballard because he knows more than you do" and we can all just anoint everything he does as PERFECT going forward? 

No thanks.  And I still don't believe there were these trol... raging against the Nelson pick.  Sounds like a bogus straw man argument to try and make a weak point like "I think Ballard knows more than anyone in here."  Does that AMAZING observation REALLY add to the discussion? Are there people out there proclaiming they know more than he does? Another straw man insinuation in that comment.  A pattern is clearly evident.  

There weren't. The only argument was whether they should take a G that high in that situation. Nelson was universally seen as a great G prospect and safe pick at that spot by even people who wanted to possibly go another route.

Questioning anything Ballard does won't make you a lot of friends here (or really on any Colts blogs). And I get it...he's done some amazing things. But he's not infallible. And I agree with you...his approach to the WR position has been subpar thus far. Last year was Grant...but people forget he also signed Aiken...who was arguably the worst Colts WR I have ever seen. He's only drafted two...both late round picks. Cain is promising (as promising as a 6th round pick can be I guess)...but the other one didn't even look like he belonged on an NFL team.

I am sort of over those one-year WR deals anyways...but they did need someone who can get open, catch the ball and get some YAC and provide immediate production. Funchess isn't that type of WR...but at least he somewhat of a known commodity.

But my real hope is that Ballard invests in the draft in a couple of WRs. I get that in KC they didn't do that...but I don't care. That was Alex Smith...Colts have Andrew Luck...give him a great group of playmakers and this offense would content for the best in the NFL.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If he has a big year I want everyone condemning this to come back and say how wrong they were.

Well, I posted "I hope we can come back and make fun of this next year blah blah blah..." so you can't be talking about me.  (in case you were).  But i also posted a scenario about how it could work.  But even they can't be too confident it will work or they would have signed a longer deal.  Even Superman said the money didn't make sense and he also suggested they should have done a 2 year option which wouldn't have cost us a bonus pick if he walks for a better deal from us.  

So what's your beef? With someone else maybe.  

So much outrage over a one year contract...

This is a very low risk type of deal.  If he doesn’t workout you just let him walk like they are doing with Grant.

Its not like the Colts are up against the cap either and they have to let other guys go because of this contract.

There is no risk here so why are people so upset?  

The most it will cost them is maybe Inman who seems more interested in coming back and the local media seems to want back more than the Colts seem interested in bringing back.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

There weren't. The only argument was whether they should take a G that high in that situation. Nelson was universally seen as a great G prospect and safe pick at that spot by even people who wanted to possibly go another route.

Questioning anything Ballard does won't make you a lot of friends here (or really on any Colts blogs). And I get it...he's done some amazing things. But he's not infallible. And I agree with you...his approach to the WR position has been subpar thus far. Last year was Grant...but people forget he also signed Aiken...who was arguably the worst Colts WR I have ever seen. He's only drafted two...both late round picks. Cain is promising (as promising as a 6th round pick can be I guess)...but the other one didn't even look like he belonged on an NFL team.

I am sort of over those one-year WR deals anyways...but they did need someone who could provide immediate production. But my real hope is that Ballard invests in the draft in a couple of WRs. I get that in KC they didn't do that...but I don't care. That was Alex Smith...Colts have Andrew Luck...give him a great group of playmakers and this offense would content for the best in the NFL.

With it taking receivers time to learn the nfl I think he is trying to see if the young guys we have will develop. You shouldn’t give up on a young WR so easy.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

So much outrage over a one year contract...

This is a very low risk type of deal.  If he doesn’t workout you just let him walk like they are doing with Grant.

Its not like the Colts are up against the cap either and they have to let other guys go because of this contract.

The most it will cost them is maybe Inman who seems more interested in coming back and the local media seems to want back more than the Colts seem interested in bringing back.  

Agreed

It is not like he is 34

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not going to name names but I can list at least 10 Posters in here that said picking a Guard at #6 was dumb and it should it never happen, several of them good posters in here.

By the way I do not have a problem with anyone questioning Ballard but saying this signing is dumb/bad before Funchess has even played a snap here in Indy is a bit off base. Ballard is far from perfect so complain away if it makes you feel better.

The same way I feel when posters use trigger words to describe players

This is just me but always have a response prepared before I post anything “controversial” 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With it taking receivers time to learn the nfl I think he is trying to see if the young guys we have will develop. You shouldn’t give up on a young WR so easy.

I am not giving up on them...but I am also relying on them for the WR group. So I think the Colts should be hedging their bets with a couple more draft picks at the position...ideally earlier.

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I didnt say he is Jeffery, I said the equivalent. He has the size to complete the set of what Reich needs to run his offense.

I didn't say he was Jeffery either. I said I wouldn't compare him based on traits/profile/states. 

Size is the only comp. 

BTW, equivalent means equal in value. They are far from equivalent. Definitely not the same value.

26 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am sure we will get a better idea of what Ballard was thinking about this signing in his next presser.

We also haven't heard from Funchess himself yet either.

Yes.....    but Ballard has to sell this to the fan base...   if you’ll forgive the expression he’s goong to be putting lipstick on a pig.   (Figure of speech). 

Ballard has to to play up the strengths and play down the weaknesses.   Part of the job.   We don’t have to believe or accept every claim he makes.   That will be one interesting press conference. 

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not going to name names but I can list at least 10 Posters in here that said picking a Guard at #6 was dumb and it should it never happen, several of them good posters in here.

By the way I do not have a problem with anyone questioning Ballard but saying this signing is dumb/bad before Funchess has even played a snap here in Indy is a bit off base. Ballard is far from perfect so complain away if it makes you feel better.

I am sure I was one of those...though I never said drafting Nelson was dumb (I don't think other people did either). I do recall most of those discussions (involving those posters) revolving the around the value of drafting a G with a rare top 10 pick...not about how good of a prospect Nelson was. 

Personally (and this was probably just me), I wanted that second trade back. That was only real beef with the pick. I was feening for more picks after the first trade back...and I had my eye on a couple guys that were going to be available in the teens and I wanted to go crazy in the 2nd round.

But I love having Q on the team.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.....    but Ballard has to sell this to the fan base...   if you’ll forgive the expression he’s goong to be putting lipstick on a pig.   (Figure of speech). 

Ballard has to to play up the strengths and play down the weaknesses.   Part of the job.   We don’t have to believe or accept every claim he makes.   That will be one interesting press conference. 

The thing is Ballard don't care or listen to what the fans in this forum have to say.

So far it's worked for him so we will wait and see.

I am also keeping any negative thoughts about this to myself till I see him on the field.

Evidently Ballard sees something in him so only time will well.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I didn't say he was Jeffery either. I said I wouldn't compare him based on traits/profile/states. 

Size is the only comp. 

BTW, equivalent means equal in value. They are far from equivalent. Definitely not the same value.

Equal or corresponding value. Hes playing a part to the offense they built in philly. Thats the point of this signing

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Only if the media actually asks him some tough questions...like how what about his inability to get open or catch balls. But the Indy media doesn't operate that way with Ballard though. 

I am picturing something like this..."BTW, just a wonderful signing Chris...but this question is really for both of you...Frank...in the offseason before you won the Super Bowl...PHI signed Alshon Jeffrey to a one-year deal. And Chris you were in Chicago when they drafted Jeffrey and were reportedly interested in him at that time as well. It feels like you have been looking for that piece for the offense and now have it. Would you agree?"

Or something like that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is Ballard don't care or listen to what the fans in this forum have to say.

I am also keeping any negative thoughts about this to myself till I see him on the field.

Yeah...that's probably the best course of action. But on the surface...I don't like the idea. The money sucks...but it's only one year. But really...I just don't like the fit.

But like you said...we will see what he does on the field. Hopefully he at least stays healthy. 

34 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because for the money that Chris "I'm not going to spend A+ money on B-level players" Ballard is giving Funchess, we could have had a more desirable player at the same position. 

Instead, it appears he's giving A+ money to a B-level player (at best). 

I promise you, people who don't like the deal are able to comprehend the dynamics of the one year deal and its future ramifications. 

• Like 3

Espn gave us a D+ lol. They were a + more than me. I haven't seen higher than a C from any serious site or analyst. All have said that we've overpaid. PFF said he's graded as a WR4 lol (Fantasy). 

Here's ESPN's write up. 

Devin Funchess, WR, Indianapolis Colts

The deal: One year, $10 million (with an additional $3 million in incentives)
Grade: D+

While some were suggesting that the Colts and their $100 million war chest were going to be big spenders in free agency, it was always more likely that general manager Chris Ballard's organization would pick its spots and wait for prices to go down. There are no discounts on day one of the legal-tampering period. Although Indy did make a signing, it's going to raise some eyebrows.

It seemed likely that Funchess would have to settle for a one-year, prove-it deal after the Michigan product was excommunicated from the Panthers' offense during the second half of 2018, but I didn't expect him to get this sort of cash. If the Colts were willing to pay this much for a one-year deal on a young player, they should have been able to toe the line and get an option year to use if Funchess returned to form. There's always a middle ground -- maybe the second year would void if Funchess had a 1,500-yard season or something truly spectacular -- but speculative one-year deals for young players just don't make a lot of sense.

The closest equivalent to this last offseason was the one-year, $9.6 million deal Donte Moncrief signed with the Jaguars. I gave that deal an F for many of the same reasons. I'm a little more sanguine on Funchess' deal, if only because Funchess was better at his pre-free-agency peak (in 2017) than Moncrief was in his (2015). Funchess should take over the Dontrelle Inman role in Indy's lineup, but I wonder if the Colts would've been better off re-signing Inman at a lower rate.

3 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Only if the media actually asks him some tough questions...like how what about his inability to get open or catch balls. But the Indy media doesn't operate that way with Ballard though...except for the one guy who used to rag on Hilton and Moncrief.

I am picturing something like this..."BTW, just a wonderful signing Chris...but this question is really for both of you...Frank...in the offseason before you won the Super Bowl...PHI signed Alshon Jeffrey to a one-year deal. And Chris you were in Chicago when they drafted Jeffrey and were reportedly interested in him at that time as well. It feels like you have been looking for that piece for the offense and now have it. Would you agree?"

Or something like that.

You probably nailed it.

• Like 1

I just thought of something I don't think anyone else has said yet (if you have, my apologies, I totally missed it, let me know).  

This all might really be about 1 person.  Brown.  Maybe he has truly reset the WR market so significantly that even Funchess warrants 10 million.  (the 13 figure is irrelevant since we'll all be ecstatic if he hits the numbers needed (at least I hope they are significantly high)).  I don't know of course, we'll see in all the other numbers, but could it have had an effect?  I wonder who his agent is? Anyone know?  I am sure Superman could address if we're seeing universally high salaries, I haven't heard it reported, and everyone everywhere I check is shocked by how much we're paying Funchess and how early we did it.  

The bottom line for me is a comment made by someone else I replied to (sorry, can't remember who it was maybe Superman) who pointed out he is a great contested ball catcher.  That would support my theory he is Ebron 2.0 for Red Zone jump ball touchdowns primarily and another glorified receiving TE on the field.  But that will still leave us with drops problems.  Hopefully that gets fixed.  They must have seen something that made them willing to take a chance, but not enough to even give him a second year like Ebron.  So no Ty Williams.  

There's still Preston Smith maybe at DE to hope for.  

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Espn gave us a D+ lol. They were a + more than me. I haven't seen higher than a C from any serious site or analyst. All have said that we've overpaid. PFF said he's graded as a WR4 lol (Fantasy). 

Here's ESPN's write up. 

Devin Funchess, WR, Indianapolis Colts

The deal: One year, $10 million (with an additional $3 million in incentives)
Grade: D+

While some were suggesting that the Colts and their $100 million war chest were going to be big spenders in free agency, it was always more likely that general manager Chris Ballard's organization would pick its spots and wait for prices to go down. There are no discounts on day one of the legal-tampering period. Although Indy did make a signing, it's going to raise some eyebrows.

It seemed likely that Funchess would have to settle for a one-year, prove-it deal after the Michigan product was excommunicated from the Panthers' offense during the second half of 2018, but I didn't expect him to get this sort of cash. If the Colts were willing to pay this much for a one-year deal on a young player, they should have been able to toe the line and get an option year to use if Funchess returned to form. There's always a middle ground -- maybe the second year would void if Funchess had a 1,500-yard season or something truly spectacular -- but speculative one-year deals for young players just don't make a lot of sense.

The closest equivalent to this last offseason was the one-year, $9.6 million deal Donte Moncrief signed with the Jaguars. I gave that deal an F for many of the same reasons. I'm a little more sanguine on Funchess' deal, if only because Funchess was better at his pre-free-agency peak (in 2017) than Moncrief was in his (2015). Funchess should take over the Dontrelle Inman role in Indy's lineup, but I wonder if the Colts would've been better off re-signing Inman at a lower rate.

I put little stock in what a group of “experts” in Bristol, Connecticut have to say about the Colts

There is a reason why they are working in the media and not running a team

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Because for the money that Chris "I'm not going to spend A+ money on B-level players" Ballard is giving Funchess, we could have had a more desirable player at the same position. 

I promise you, people who don't like the deal are able to comprehend the dynamics of the one year deal and its future ramifications. 

We also don't know what was discussed between Ballard, Funchess and his agent either.

Maybe there was discussion of a future contract on a prove it contract. If he earns a future contract we cross that bridge when it's time.

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think we were alone in wanting him.   I suspect there was a small bidding war and he was the last option that we would sign.    I suspect all the other options were multiyear deals that we were not willing to meet or exceed.   This is the only thing that makes sense to me. 

We definitely agree on the last sentence... I have one theory and you have another one and beyond those, it is hard to make sense of it.  I hope I'm right in that we really wanted him for a specific reason and we weren't settling for the smartest kid in a dumb class and overpaying him to do a job he seems bad at doing.  It has to be better than that... and with the draft pretty deep in WRs this year in the range where we're drafting, it is even stranger.  Perhaps they already know they are taking a top WR prospect, so this is just a Red Zone luxury pick that might be an unexpected home run outside the 20's as well.  

2 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I just thought of something I don't think anyone else has said yet (if you have, my apologies, I totally missed it, let me know).  

This all might really be about 1 person.  Brown.  Maybe he has truly reset the WR market so significantly that even Funchess warrants 10 million.  (the 13 figure is irrelevant since we'll all be ecstatic if he hits the numbers needed (at least I hope they are significantly high)).  I don't know of course, we'll see in all the other numbers, but could it have had an effect?  I wonder who his agent is? Anyone know?  I am sure Superman could address if we're seeing universally high salaries, I haven't heard it reported, and everyone everywhere I check is shocked by how much we're paying Funchess and how early we did it.  

The bottom line for me is a comment made by someone else I replied to (sorry, can't remember who it was maybe Superman) who pointed out he is a great contested ball catcher.  That would support my theory he is Ebron 2.0 for Red Zone jump ball touchdowns primarily and another glorified receiving TE on the field.  But that will still leave us with drops problems.  Hopefully that gets fixed.  They must have seen something that made them willing to take a chance, but not enough to even give him a second year like Ebron.  So no Ty Williams.  

There's still Preston Smith maybe at DE to hope for.  

That is the thing about NFL FA 

One mega signing or lack there of sets the market and unless the brass want to be looking for a new house/job and/or working ESPN, Fox, CBS, NFLN or NBC they must adjust and that appears what CB has done

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup, that's top 20 money. Top 15 if he hits the 13M. His production is not even top 50. He was 81st YPG...  That's "A" money for a C player. He's outside of the top 50 in all advanced stats. If he does hit 13M that means he's likely at 1000 yards, so I'd be more than happy to give him 13M. I don't see him hitting 1000 unless TY gets hurt though.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I am sure I was one of those...though I never said drafting Nelson was dumb (I don't think other people did either). I do recall most of those discussions (involving those posters) revolving the around the value of drafting a G with a rare top 10 pick...not about how good of a prospect Nelson was. 

Personally (and this was probably just me), I wanted that second trade back. That was only real beef with the pick. I was feening for more picks after the first trade back...and I had my eye on a couple guys that were going to be available in the teens and I wanted to go crazy in the 2nd round.

But I love having Q on the team.

There were only a few that used the actual word "dumb" but many said picking a Guard at #6 should never happen and "wasn't smart". To me when someone says something isn't a smart thing to do, it implies it is dumb. Nevertheless my point was the pick turned out great and many wanted a Pass Rusher or a LB at #6 and wasn't thrilled with the Nelson pick. Many said sure it was a safe pick, there were some here that praised the pick like myself but many that did not. 

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I put little stock in what a group of “experts” in Bristol, Connecticut have to say about the Colts

There is a reason why they are working in the media and not running a team

I don't care for many at ESPN, but to discount them without fact/data is pretty silly. Many are good at what they do. Some aren't. Many are x-players, x-GMs. The guy that wrote that review is very big on advanced stats, and is not a stupid guy. 

So tell me. Give me fact/data as to why this is a good deal. Save the "because Ballard knows best" routine.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree about Ballard and I've made that post countless times here on the website.

But he doesn't care when it comes to making the decision,  and nor should he.

But he has to care --- at least, a little bit --- when the decision is made and he has to go before the media and sell it.     Afterall,  were a smaller market,  we fight for every dollar we can make,  tickets, food, parking, gear,  you name it.    They want our money. 

So.  Ballard does have to care a little bit when he sells it to the media and fans base.    He's not going to sit up there and say "write what you want,  I don't care."...      He's going to try and explain his thinking about why we signed Funchess,  and why we DIDN'T sign anyone else.    Just like he explains his views on his draft picks.   He's got to sell it.    It comes with the job.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is the thing about NFL FA 

One mega signing or lack there of sets the market and unless the brass want to be looking for a new house/job and/or working ESPN, Fox, CBS, NFLN or NBC they must adjust and that appears what CB has done

I mean it was a thought I had, but does the evidence so far support it? I haven't been able to watch coverage until I saw this on Youtube so I missed all the earlier signings and I am playing catch up.  We'll see if the numbers people have a thought. 

5 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I don't care for many at ESPN, but to discount them without fact/data is pretty silly. Many are good at what they do. Some aren't. Many are x-players, x-GMs. The guy that wrote that review is very big on advanced stats, and is not a stupid guy. 

So tell me. Give me fact/data as to why this is a good deal. Save the "because Ballard knows best" routine.

It's a good deal because when the rest of the receivers that Ballard might have preferred had offers far higher than Ballard wanted to pay,   Ballard signed the best receiver he could for one year.

Not much of a sell.   But there it is.   The bar on Funchess is low.   $10 Mill doesn't hurt us for one year.   As you yourself noted, if he hits all incentives we'll be happy to pay the extra $3 mill.

I hope we'll have better options next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree about Ballard and I've made that post countless times here on the website.

But he has to care --- at least, a little bit --- when the decision is made and he has to go before the media and sell it.     Afterall,  were a smaller market,  we fight for every dollar we can make,  tickets, food, parking, gear,  you name it.    They want our money. 

So.  Ballard does have to care a little bit when he sells it to the media and fans base.    He's not going to sit up there and say "write what you want,  I don't care."...      He's going to try and explain his thinking about why we signed Funchess,  and why we DIDN'T sign anyone else.    Just like he explains his views on his draft picks.   He's got to sell it.    It comes with the job.

Yup, it's his job to sell it. "Caring" is part of the sales job. 

Fans may not like the move, but no one if going to beat him too much on this, simply because he's coming off a great draft, and has a bunch of cap. If Funchess turns out like Grant, then folks might start questioning him on his WR strategy, and that will be fair. With his job, comes questioning when things, even small things, don't work out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's a good deal because when the rest of the receivers that Ballard might have preferred had offers far higher than Ballard wanted to pay,   Ballard signed the best receiver he could for one year.

Not much of a sell.   But there it is.   The bar on Funchess is low.   $10 Mill doesn't hurt us for one year.   As you yourself noted, if he hits all incentives we'll be happy to pay the extra $3 mill.

I hope we'll have better options next year.

Come on lol.... you did nothing to explain why this is a good deal. Zero fact or detail, or any reasoning of substance. You made assumptions that are not fact based. All you did was pull the "Don't question what Ballard does" card. 

$10M (which is top 20 pay) is overpaying the 81st ranked WR. That's just math.... 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I really don't think you are telling us something we don't already know.

My point is he don't care or listen to the fan base when it comes to drafting, signing or even the firing of a coach.

Ballard is a fantastic speaker so yes he will explain what he did but that has no bearing on what he did. The opinions of the fans, ESPN or anyone else are not something he uses to decide who he picks or signs.

Personally I like his approach and he has done nothing for me to doubt he knows what he is doing.  Will he make mistakes?  Yes, but till they are proven mistakes don't assume they are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I really don't think you are telling us something we don't already know.

My point is he don't care or listen to the fan base when it comes to drafting, signing or even the firing of a coach.

Ballard is a fantastic speaker so yes he will explain what he did but that has no bearing on what he did. The opinions of the fans, ESPN or anyone else are not something he uses to decide who he picks or signs.

Personally I like his approach and he has done nothing for me to doubt he knows what he is doing.  Will he make mistakes?  Yes, but till they are proven mistakes don't assume they are.

People at ESPN and in the media were doing the same thing with the Ebron signing last year. When we signed him it hardly even made ESPN news. It was a tiny foot note and it was MEH to most people. I will lmao if Funchess balls out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

People at ESPN and in the media were doing the same thing with the Ebron signing last year. When we signed him it hardly even made ESPN news. It was a tiny foot note and it was MEH to most people. I will lmao if Funchess balls out. 

Even if Funchess don't work out I just chalk it up as business a usual in the life of a GM.

We all know that he is not going to hit a home run every time at bat. It comes with the territory.

I will stay optimistic till I have reason not to.

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I wouldn't compare him to Jeffery. Jeffery is faster, jumps higher, a lot less drops (top 25 catch rate), and had FAR more production. Not comparable. And he's a 13M/year guy too.... 

Funchess 4.47 40 Alshon 4.48 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

But my real hope is that Ballard invests in the draft in a couple of WRs. I get that in KC they didn't do that...but I don't care. That was Alex Smith...Colts have Andrew Luck...give him a great group of playmakers and this offense would content for the best in the NFL.

Your whole post was good, but this observation made me sit bolt upright because man does it expose something interesting.  KC NEVER had a good WR corp until they took a flyer on Hill.  What was that one guys name, big dude that always underwhelmed but was presented like a star? Anyway, that team was always bereft of good WR's, I wonder if that has rubbed off.  We are TY Hilton away from not a single reliable receiver on the roster as of right now.  And that includes Ebron and Funchess, the new dropsy twins.  

Let's hope it is a short term coincidence... 

40 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Come on lol.... you did nothing to explain why this is a good deal. Zero fact or detail, or any reasoning of substance. You made assumptions that are not fact based. All you did was pull the "Don't question what Ballard does" card. 

$10M (which is top 20 pay) is overpaying the 81st ranked WR. That's just math.... 

I don't have to sell.       I'm not a fan of the signing.    I'm not a fan of Funchess.

I ***am*** a fan of Ballard's.     He's earned it and then some.     I don't think he has anything to apologize for.     He's not perfect,  and he owns his mistakes.    Which is more than most GM's do.

You Bill Belichick,  the defensive mastermind,  has a relatively low success rates on drafting defensive backs.    Plenty of quality picks of his have flamed out.    It's been written about.

Everyone makes mistakes in the personnel game.    It comes with the job.

When Ballard starts making bigger mistakes and not just little mistakes,  then we'll have something to talk about.     Otherwise,  this barely registers on my meter.

Again.    Not a fan of Funchess.    Not a fan of the signing.   But I admire Ballard and so should all of us and with good reasoning.

• Like 3