Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dexter Lawrence

Dexter Lawrence | Clemson | DL 

HEIGHT      WEIGHT           ARMS        Bench Press

6' 4"               342 lbs             34 3/4”            36

I have a feeling he may be there at 26. Do we pull the trigger?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Unless there is clear pass rusher that falls to 26, Wilkins is the guy in my opinion. He is a fit here...

Based on the very little I know, I agree with this. Wilkins sounds like what this team needs. But Lawrence would not be a bad fall back guy at all. It would be so awesome if we could see the team boards and how they have them arranged on day one of the draft. I’d say, put them in a vault and then 10 years afterwards, reveal what guys were thinking for historical context. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Dexter Lawrence | Clemson | DL 

HEIGHT      WEIGHT           ARMS        Bench Press

6' 4"               342 lbs             34 3/4”            36

I have a feeling he may be there at 26. Do we pull the trigger?

I hope he’s not a consideration at 26.

A).  He’s not a 3-down player.   At best he’ll play roughly 50-60 percent of the snaps — tops.   He’ll come off the field on most obvious passing downs.

B)   While he’s ok at pushing the pocket  he doesn’t give the Colts nearly enough pass rush.

If we like him — and I have no idea if we do — then not before pick 34.    I’d prefer to either sign a FA nose tackle to replace Woods,  or draft someone like Stewart who took in the 4th round in the 17 draft.

Otherwise I’d pass on him and look for another young NT in the mid rounds.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Unless there is clear pass rusher that falls to 26, Wilkins is the guy in my opinion. He is a fit here...

You don’t think Wilkins will be long gone by 26?   

He can play play in any difference so he appeals to every team.    I’d be thrilled if he falls to us.   I just don’t see how it happens.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A).  He’s not a 3-down player.   At best he’ll play roughly 50-60 percent of the snaps — tops.   He’ll come off the field on most obvious passing downs.

B)   While he’s ok at pushing the pocket  he doesn’t give the Colts nearly enough pass rush.

If we like him — and I have no idea if we do — then not before pick 34.    I’d prefer to either sign a FA nose tackle to replace Woods,  or draft someone like Stewart who took in the 4th round in the 17 draft.

If one believes defensive game planning STARTS with stopping the run, and that Dexter can be Excellent at it, including being terrific at taking up blockers to free up your linebackers... that guy should be a great pick.
 Listening to Ray Lewis Crying about his Ravens letting go of the big fatties in front of him being the reason he wasn't able to do what was Expected of him was GOLD. I mean it really did mess up his production for the whole season.
 I will be surprised if Lawrence lasts to 26. And draft mania has me wanting to pay the price to go up and get Wilkins. I think he would be FANtastic in this D.
 He__, let's get both of them.  :cheers:  :cheer:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t think Wilkins will be long gone by 26?   

He can play play in any difference so he appeals to every team.    I’d be thrilled if he falls to us.   I just don’t see how it happens.

I'm not sure. The Eagles have been attached to his name at 25 quite a bit lately. I know some mocks have him around the 15 mark. 

Just now, BluHorzhu said:

Thinking in terms of strategy, I wonder if Indy won't address another position and see if Jeffery Simmons is still there at the top of the 2nd.  Lawrence is no slam dunk, so he might be a hard sell for Ballard as a 1st round pick.  

I’m not sure why he didn’t cut weight before the combine. If he wanted to increase his stock and get people talking, he should’ve came in at 330 and really destroyed the combine. It would have given people more hope about his ability to become a refined pass rusher.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m not sure why he didn’t cut weight before the combine. If he wanted to increase his stock and get people talking, he should’ve came in at 330 and really destroyed the combine. It would have given people more hope about his ability to become a refined pass rusher.

I'm wondering why ANY player nowadays wants to play at 340+? What's the advantage there? It's not like you will be so much less strong at 325 for example? Weight =/= strength at those types of weights and even if there is some marginal advantage of strength at 345, IMO the speed and agility advantage of the lower weight far outweigh the strength gains. The new NFL is so much more about speed and pass disruption... If I were one of those big boys I would be trying to maximize that part of my game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm wondering why ANY player nowadays wants to play at 340+? What's the advantage there? It's not like you will be so much less strong at 325 for example? Weight =/= strength at those types of weights and even if there is some marginal advantage of strength at 345, IMO the speed and agility advantage of the lower weight far outweigh the strength gains. The new NFL is so much more about speed and pass disruption... If I were one of those big boys I would be trying to maximize that part of my game. 

Agree 100%. There’s no reason for him to be that heavy. He should’ve have cut weight and put on more muscle to distribut the weight better and show functional strength. Those savvy OL who get their hands in him in the NFL will dominate him all day. Plus being that big shows he has no position versatility. He’s only a NT. Wherever he goes, I hope a good strength and conditioning coach gets their hands on him. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2019 at 12:35 AM, stitches said:

It's about the body weight and momentum you have slamming into the opponent. Every pound maters. He moves very very fast for 345. So did a few other dominant linemen in the league. Chargers, Steelers, NE. Once those guys moved on their D went down hill big time

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Good article!!! It is very relevant, thanks for sharing!!!

My only argument against him is if the Colts feel like they can get a play making safety in Round 1, that can double down as a Big nickel and blitzer, there is a good chance that is looked at more favorably for the current NFL, IMO.

It would be a case of 1st or 2nd best safety vs 4th or 5th best DT, IMO. 

If both Lawrence and Tillery were there, who would you choose? Just curious. With the depth of DL and how playoff teams covet quality safeties with so many teams running nickel and dime, I might still lean safety and see if one of the above 2 is around for pick no.34. What do you guys think?

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 1:36 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I agree I'm prolly never gonna be a fan of a NT in the 1st round. you can find good ones in middle rounds 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

My only argument against him is if the Colts feel like they can get a play making safety in Round 1, that can double down as a Big nickel and blitzer, there is a good chance that is looked at more favorably for the current NFL, IMO.

If both Lawrence and Tillery were there, who would you choose? Just curious. With the depth of DL and how playoff teams covet quality safeties with so many teams running nickel and dime, I might still lean safety and see if one of the above 2 is around for pick no.34. What do you guys think?

In answer to your question of Lawrence or Tillery at #26, I'd pick Tillery. And that would be over any safety available at that point. 

Now, what if Lawrence was still available at 34 after they took Tillery at 26? IMO, that would be hard to pass up. I suspect he'd be told to drop 10-15 lbs. That would make him quicker and add to his pass rush ability. And the dude is Strong. 36 bench presses for a guy with long arms like he has? That's very impressive. 

So.....taking both of them, I know, seems excessive. I'm not advocating it. But if the Colts did that, I wouldn't howl about it either. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

That's a good question cause I really like Tillery too. But can he that run stuffing, taking up blocks to free guys up type of clog? I need to do some research 

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I agree I'm prolly never gonna be a fan of a NT in the 1st round. you can find good ones in middle rounds 

Tell that to Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton and the others who were actually dominate and changed the game

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That's a good question cause I really like Tillery too. But can he that run stuffing, taking up blocks to free guys up type of clog? I need to do some research 

That is not his style of play, being a clogger. He fires into the gap and forces the OL to commit, and our LBs will still be an integral part of our run D. However, his run D will improve with NFL strength regimen, IMO. 

Here is a good article about Jerry you might want to peruse:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-notre-dame-dl-jerry-tillery/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is not his style of play, being a clogger. He fires into the gap and forces the OL to commit, and our LBs will still be an integral part of our run D. However, his run D will improve with NFL strength regimen, IMO. 

Here is a good article about Jerry you might want to peruse:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/2019-nfl-draft-player-profiles-notre-dame-dl-jerry-tillery/

I love his position flexibility. I really like him inside on passing downs. 

If Burns is on the board at 26 I am grabbing him

IF we get him..... an option I would have to consider is Lawrence at 34 (Or Tillary, but I think he is gone before 34)

Lawrence is a 1 technique that does push the pile. 

He doesnt get 20 sacks, but he does collapse the pile, and he get pressures and QB hits

Watch his game tapes he puts hard hits on the QB, just as he was releasing the ball

That HAS to hurt 

I can help but imagine him falling on Murray......

Spot on the carpet.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

If Burns is on the board at 26 I am grabbing him

IF we get him..... an option I would have to consider is Lawrence at 34 (Or Tillary, but I think he is gone before 34)

Lawrence is a 1 technique that does push the pile. 

He doesnt get 20 sacks, but he does collapse the pile, and he get pressures and QB hits

Watch his game tapes he puts hard hits on the QB, just as he was releasing the ball

That HAS to hurt 

I can help but imagine him falling on Murray......

Spot on the carpet.....

Ha! What a visual. 

Re: Mr Burns: I have seen him getting more and more hype lately. Some draft "experts" have him in the top 10. Many in the top 15. So it seems unlikely he's even in the conversation at 26. But Tillery is. If he's sitting there at 26, he's hard not to love. If I were doing a mock draft, he'd be my pick. And if he's gone, I'd be fine with Lawrence. 

• Like 1