Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Talks with Geathers this week

Restinpeacesweetchloe

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lets just throw our some made up number. Let’s say the colts offered him a two year 5 million contract. another team offered him 7 million three years. One team is terrible and the other could win a SB. At that point your making millions on either contract. Yes I would take less because your already a millionaire and both contracts are in the millions. 

Even if he hits FA I think he is coming back. He isn’t going to get that much in the FA market with his injury history. Also don’t matter if we are able to sign a big time safety because his contact won’t be huge with that neck injury.

I call bovine excrement on this.

NFL players have a short shelf life.  They need to make all the money they can in the short period of time they have available to them.  If offers are equal, then sure he would likely go to "winning" team.  But if they aren't, NFL players have time and again shown they go where the money is.  And I don't blame them.  Virtually all of us would make that same decision.  Really the only ones who make an "an about the ring decision" are vets who have not had won yet.  And by vets I mean guys who are seeking their 3rd contract, which does not describe Geathers.   

Further - the aside from the Pats and a small handful of other teams, the league gets turned upside down virtually every year.  Good teams this year are bad the next and vice versa.  So going to a bad team does not mean they will stay bad.  Hell, maybe they view themselves as the player to put the bad team over the top.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Money isn’t everything if your on a bad team and your miserable. I would rather be a happy millionaire then a unhappy millionaire. There is nothing anyone can’t afford when they are already making millions In one year of that contract they are already set for life.  

Man, I love when someone decides how much is enough for someone else.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is found to offer him a huge contract anyway so this is all really nothing

Umm, free agency hasn't started yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Money isn’t everything if your on a bad team and your miserable. I would rather be a happy millionaire then a unhappy millionaire. There is nothing anyone can’t afford when they are already making millions In one year of that contract they are already set for life.  

That’s easy to say sitting behind a computer, with no chance of ever having to make that decision. I venture to say when you see that extra 2, 3, 5, 10 (pick your number) million dollars sitting on the table, you wouldn’t make the decision so easily.

21 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I call bovine excrement on this.

NFL players have a short shelf life.  They need to make all the money they can in the short period of time they have available to them.  If offers are equal, then sure he would likely go to "winning" team.  But if they aren't, NFL players have time and again shown they go where the money is.  And I don't blame them.  Virtually all of us would make that same decision.  Really the only ones who make an "an about the ring decision" are vets who have not had won yet.  And by vets I mean guys who are seeking their 3rd contract, which does not describe Geathers.   

Further - the aside from the Pats and a small handful of other teams, the league gets turned upside down virtually every year.  Good teams this year are bad the next and vice versa.  So going to a bad team does not mean they will stay bad.  Hell, maybe they view themselves as the player to put the bad team over the top.

Don't forget about taxes.

$X million dollars before tax is not the same as after tax. If a worse team outbids a player by 1-2 million a year, it may not be enough.

Its not like the colts are going to offer him ten million less. In that senerio your right. But one or two million I would take the team I know is in the right track and close to winning a SB. He is also married with a kid so uprooting the family can also make a decision easier or harder.

We will see when FA starts but I don’t see anyone that is going to give him a ton more then the colts will.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Its not like the colts are going to offer him ten million less. In that senerio your right. But one or two million I would take the team I know is in the right track and close to winning a SB. He is also married with a kid so uprooting the family can also make a decision easier or harder.

We will see when FA starts but I don’t see anyone that is going to give him a ton more then the colts will.

I was using your example: 5 million x 2 years vs 7 million x 3 years = 11 million dollars left on the table....no?

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I was using your example: 5 million x 2 years vs 7 million x 3 years = 11 million dollars left on the table....no?

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

No that isn’t what I meant. I was saying 5 million for the entire two years and 7 for the entire 3 years. I don’t know what a safety gets in this league I was just making up a example.

21 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No that isn’t what I meant. I was saying 5 million for the entire two years and 7 for the entire 3 years. I don’t know what a safety gets in this league I was just making up a example.

Sorry, I read it the wrong way. You’re right in that case it would be better to go with the 2 year deal...as it is more money per year. I’m not sure why you did it that way but I still believe if he is offered a 2 year deal for 5 million total or a 2 year deal for 7 million total, he would take the 7 million.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

So, if you were the CEO of a fortune 100 company, you would stay at your current job making $1.5 million a year vs accepting a job offer from another company offering $3 million a year?? 

I think if you relate it to the business world we live in vs professional athletes it’s easier to understand why most athletes chase the money. Who knows...maybe I value money too much haha 

7 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Don't forget about taxes.

$X million dollars before tax is not the same as after tax. If a worse team outbids a player by 1-2 million a year, it may not be enough.

1) thanks Capt Obvious for the tax lesson

2) I can’t be the only one who feels this way but your avatar weirds me out. 

Seems like the Safety position has been devalued recently. Defenses are all about pass rushes, and CB's to slow down WR's. Safeties do not impact the game the way they used to. This is why so many top Safeties are available on the market. 

On 2/28/2019 at 3:00 PM, chad72 said:

2 years $8 mil. would be very fair, like you said, we will find out if Ballard wants him around for 1 or 2 years. I would not be surprised either if he gets offered just a 1 yr. $3 mil. deal and nothing more.

If I am reading spotrac correctly he made 2.8 last yr.   I am not a cap guy or a money guy.  I do follow a guy on another site  that is dead on every yr.  I can ask him.   But I think he will get more than 3 a yr and think your 2 for 8 is very realistic.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/clayton-geathers-16835/

36 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not sure what this means or how credible.

I am guessing we will see a release later today that the Colts have signed Geathers to a new contract.

I will further guess it will be a contract in the range of 3 years $20 million with probably 10-12 guaranteed.

22 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I am guessing we will see a release later today that the Colts have signed Geathers to a new contract.

I will further guess it will be a contract in the range of 3 years $20 million with probably 10-12 guaranteed.

Yeah...not a fan of that at all. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It has occurred to me that since the tampering period is now open, Geathers might have a standing offer from another team that he's expecting to take.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...not a fan of that at all. 

I'm not a huge Geathers fan either.

17 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It has occurred to me that since the tampering period is now open, Geathers might have a standing offer from another team that he's expecting to take.  

It could be.  But the combination of CB's comments on Geathers and the timing of the brother in law's tweet, I think he's staying with the Colts.  But again, it's just a guess.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not a twitter follower (I don't even have a twitter account) but I did click on the #watchandsee and that seems to be a speculation twitter feed (at least that is what I'm assuming after reading the first 5 or 6 tweets on that site.  So it could just be is bil speculating that something will happen after 3pm today (4PM EDT)

I say he gets 3 years $22 mil.

Whatever he gets from whatever team, I hope the Guarnteed part is to his liking. Not to long ago some thought he shpuld retire because further damaging his neck would be dangerous. So I hope that when he walks away from playing he has enough money to take care of himself and family financially.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/dallas-cowboys-randall-cobb-clayton-geathers-2019-free-agency/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I say he gets 3 years $22 mil.

If so, I would be happy to let him walk sadly. I am not saying your numbers are off. That seems somewhat reaonable when you consider that Tashaun Gipson got 3 years and $22.5M.

But, if Clinton-Dix is only getting a 1 year $3.5M deal then there is no way I pay Geathers double that and for 3 full years when he is yet to play even one full season and where he has played only 26 of 48 games over the past 3 seasons.

That is brutal.

Factor in that Adrian Phillips only got 1 year as well, and I would not be doing anything more than a 1 year prove it deal unless it was actually below market value.

Something like 2-3 years and $8M-$12M.

I am very curious to see how the safety market shakes out and if we bring in a vet or just roll with Farley and draft a S.

• Like 1