Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think this was a good year?

Trace Pyott

2 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

This has been a good year. Just remember where we were when this season started.

• 1. Unsure if Andrew Luck would ever play again. We haven't even seen him throw a "real" football. Maybe we should have drafted a QB in the first round.
  • 2. Ballard was being flamed for drafting a guard at #6, and then -- yikes! -- another one high in the 2nd round. 
  • 3. Ballard again, reaching for a small school linebacker early in the 2nd round. What was he thinking? We could have drafted that guy or someone just like him in the 3rd. 
  • 4. The Colts were cucked by the head coach they really wanted and made to look like fools. 
  • 5. What were they thinking, signing that Ebron guy from Detroit? He was a first-round bust who drops passes, and fans there hated him. 
  • 6. We still don't have anybody who can rush the passer.
  • 6. The Colts will be lucky to win four games this year. And that's just because we play a weak schedule.

So, here we are in December, with an actual chance at a wildcard berth in the playoffs after beating the hottest team in the NFL, on their own field. Luck, a lock for Comeback Player of the Year, is playing better than ever. We have a rookie LB who could not only be DROY, but is in the conversation about DPOY. A "development project" rookie guard turned out to be a pretty darned good right tackle. A bunch of raw rookies and cast-offs have turned into real players, right before our eyes. Oh, yeah, and that "backup plan" head coach seems to be working out pretty well too. 

Sure, there are still some holes in the roster, and we all know where they are. But to come this far with what we thought we had in Week 1 is truly amazing. 

•  

I think you pretty much nailed it.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

With Luck being 100% and carrying the team once again, he has made Reich look like a million bucks. There have been times where Reich has implemented the run game, but he doesn't do it consistently. He doesn't play matchups well. His strategies are almost random. I don't mind the gamble in the first Texans game, I was 100% for it. That was the right move by Reich. My problem is the one-dimensional offense. Not impressed with Reich right now. If Luck wasn't 100% playing at a high level, Reich would look like Pagano right now. He adds nothing new to this offense besides the two game stretch where we had the balanced offense. It's unfortunate we went away from it.

If you can't tell the difference in route schemes and concepts between this offense and any OC Pagano had,   I don't know what to tell you.    He wants to be able to run the ball.    It hasn't been successful.   Luck isn't getting beaten up this year.   That is in large part due to Reich's offense.   I don't care if they throw the ball 60 times a game as long as it's successful.  Running backs stumbling for 2 yard gains doesn't help anything

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If you can't tell the difference in route schemes and concepts between this offense and any OC Pagano had,   I don't know what to tell you.    He wants to be able to run the ball.    It hasn't been successful.   Luck isn't getting beaten up this year.   That is in large part due to Reich's offense.   I don't care if they throw the ball 60 times a game as long as it's successful.  Running backs stumbling for 2 yard gains doesn't help anything

Luck isn't getting beat up due to a much more talented O-Line. Ballard drafted Nelson and Braden and signed Glowinski. Reich has nothing to do with it. He's just the beneficiary of Ballard's successful drafting. Also, you will care if Luck has to throw it 60 times a game when we face solid pass defenses like the Jags that key in on Luck. You run to set up the pass, and if you don't know that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck isn't getting beat up due to a much more talented O-Line. Ballard drafted Nelson and Braden and signed Glowinski. Reich has nothing to do with it. He's just the beneficiary of Ballard's successful drafting. Also, you will care if Luck has to throw it 60 times a game when we face solid pass defenses like the Jags that key in on Luck. You run to set up the pass, and if you don't know that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Are you watching the games?   The scheme is a big part of the reason luck is staying clean.   

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Are you watching the games?   The scheme is a big part of the reason luck is staying clean.   

Most games I can't watch because I live in Colorado. Explain the "scheme" to me, then explain why if he's responsible for Luck staying clean in the pocket, then why can't he produce a running attack that can't get more than 2 yards per carry? Again, he doesn't even use Hines and Wilkins anymore, and he rarely calls plays for Luck to pass to them (which he should, because we literally have 2 receivers).

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Most games I can't watch because I live in Colorado. Explain the "scheme" to me, then explain why if he's responsible for Luck staying clean in the pocket, then why can't he produce a running attack that can't get more than 2 yards per carry? Again, he doesn't even use Hines and Wilkins anymore, and he rarely calls plays for Luck to pass to them (which he should, because we literally have 2 receivers).

Hines has 52 receptions

Ebron has 58

Hilton has 62

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Hines has 52 receptions

Ebron has 58

Hilton has 62

What's your point? Hines got most of those early in the year before Reich stopped using him. There's no one on the forum that wouldn't acknowledge that Ebron and Hilton aren't used. Why don't you explain the scheme to me? Explain why he can't produce a running attack that gets more than 2 yards a carry? I guess he doesn't have a scheme for that?

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

What's your point? Hines got most of those early in the year before Reich stopped using him. There's no one on the forum that wouldn't acknowledge that Ebron and Hilton aren't used. Why don't you explain the scheme to me? Explain why he can't produce a running attack that gets more than 2 yards a carry? I guess he doesn't have a scheme for that?

Hines had 9 catches against Jacksonville.

I'm guessing the backs lack vision between the tackles.   He has tried many things to get the running game going.  Even bringing in an extra lineman quite a bit.    He is using the short passing game as the running game.   They haven't been able to do it from the backfield. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Hines had 9 catches against Jacksonville.

I'm guessing the backs lack vision between the tackles.   He has tried many things to get the running game going.  Even bringing in an extra lineman quite a bit.    He is using the short passing game as the running game.   They haven't been able to do it from the backfield. 

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. That makes some sense.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This has been a very successful year as far as Luck's comeback and player development. It seems Ballard has grown into the GM role very well. I know I'm going to be in the minority on this statement, but I'm starting to doubt Coach Reich more and more throughout this season. He struggled early, turned it around (especially in a two game stretch where we had a balanced run and pass game), then it was gone. Part of it may be Ryan Kelly, but it was happening before he got hurt. The run game is nonexistent and Reich has abandoned it. Instead of the RB by committee approach, he is literally doing what Pagano did now and is forcing Luck to carry the offense with a lackluster receiving core. 

Impressed with Luck, Ballard, and Eberflus this year. Reich has been pretty bad in his first year IMO. He is panicking right now, abandoning the run, and forcing Luck to carry the team. Luck may be back to 100%, but it isn't fair to put that on his shoulders. This is why I say we need Bell or Hunt, because Reich doesn't trust the RB's to use them or something.

I could not disagree more wholeheartedly or be more happy we don't have a coach with this counterintuitive, nonsensical, bullheaded approach to football. If you are having zero success running the ball, which recently, for whatever reason (kelly/doyle), nothing would make me more annoyed than running it for the sake of running it.  We dont need balance for the sake of balance, we need to take what's working and roll with it. Adapt. Play to your strengths. Wish Reich would do more of this TBH, his main downfall is trying too hard to force the run sometimes. The only thing I will say is eventually he gives up, unlike some stubborn boneheaded other coaches I've seen. Would it be great to be 50/50 with 150-200 yards on the ground a game? Absolutely.  But when you struggle to get a single first down on the ground it's time to let Luck loose, not hold him back. Ok /rant.

• Like 2

I'm watching a team that Luck is carrying on offense. I'm supposed to be watching a team coached by a guy who preaches "RB by committee", and has done that 2 out of 13 games this year. Hines rarely gets the ball anymore, Wilkins is literally nonexistent now. It went from RB by committee, to RBs being involved in some way, to Mack getting a handful of carries per game and Hines and Wilkins not being used. The only reason we are 7-6 is because of the FA signing of Ebron. Way too much unnecessary  pressure on Luck. If you consider Reich "great", then you have no standards for him and are grading purely off record. Why don't you look deeper. Luck has been "great". Reich is 7-6 despite himself. We are still a one'dimensional team and that is 100% Reich's fault for passing most of the time. Thank God the O-Line is solid enough now to protect Luck since he passes most of the time.

With Luck being 100% and carrying the team once again, he has made Reich look like a million bucks. There have been times where Reich has implemented the run game, but he doesn't do it consistently. He doesn't play matchups well. His strategies are almost random. I don't mind the gamble in the first Texans game, I was 100% for it. That was the right move by Reich. My problem is the one-dimensional offense. Not impressed with Reich right now. If Luck wasn't 100% playing at a high level, Reich would look like Pagano right now. He adds nothing new to this offense besides the two game stretch where we had the balanced offense. It's unfortunate we went away from it.

Great posts

massive sarcasm

• Like 1

its been decent, my preseason prediction was 8-8.  they beat every team in the division too, so thats a plus

Reich has been solid imo, but i didnt like going for in the first texans game and i think they should get rid of ties period.  that might sound like a contradiction, but i just didnt think going for it would work

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

Please, please elaborate more... You think a first year HC (Reich) is going to get roasted the end of the year for a decision to try and beat a division rival instead of take the tie?  That’s the decision the other guy (Pagano) would have made, because he was too conservative and constantly out coached by the opposing coach.  Reich isn’t going anywhere for one failed 4th down. His arrow is trending nothing, but up!

Not once did I say he'd get fired. I said he'd get roasted.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This has been a very successful year as far as Luck's comeback and player development. It seems Ballard has grown into the GM role very well. I know I'm going to be in the minority on this statement, but I'm starting to doubt Coach Reich more and more throughout this season. He struggled early, turned it around (especially in a two game stretch where we had a balanced run and pass game), then it was gone. Part of it may be Ryan Kelly, but it was happening before he got hurt. The run game is nonexistent and Reich has abandoned it. Instead of the RB by committee approach, he is literally doing what Pagano did now and is forcing Luck to carry the offense with a lackluster receiving core. 

Impressed with Luck, Ballard, and Eberflus this year. Reich has been pretty bad in his first year IMO. He is panicking right now, abandoning the run, and forcing Luck to carry the team. Luck may be back to 100%, but it isn't fair to put that on his shoulders. This is why I say we need Bell or Hunt, because Reich doesn't trust the RB's to use them or something.

Yes.  You hit it in the head about the run game.  He can't on them.  He has pretty much abandoned it.  They have tried to turn Hines into a Sproules and it's not there.  RB will be a big priority in the off season and the beauty is Bell is there for the taking.  The stars are aligning on that one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure Coach Reich appreciates your input.

massive sarcasm

Coach Reich doesn't care about our input.   He cares about winning games.   Whatever it takes.   60 passes or 60 runs.   Whatever is working

1 hour ago, tucky89 said:

Not once did I say he'd get fired. I said he'd get roasted.

He already got roasted.   

I think the defense is coming together faster than expected and the O-Line and Luck are certainly better than expected/hoped this quickly.  I would think, in Ballards mind, the team as a whole is ahead of schedule (on rebuild).  Pe haps as much as a whole year.  This team is a true team, not individual parts.

Wouldnt surprise me if Ballard is more aggressive this FA offseason than he originally thought he would be.

4 hours ago, tucky89 said:

If we miss the postseason by one game, that dumb OT decision by Reich will really come to the forefront.

What about the 2 J games (Jets and Jaguars)? Inexplicable losses, IMO. Games we should have taken care of. I would point to those first because those games were poorly planned on D (Jets) and O (Jaguars).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I think the defense is coming together faster than expected and the O-Line and Luck are certainly better than expected/hoped this quickly.  I would think, in Ballards mind, the team as a whole is ahead of schedule (on rebuild).  Pe haps as much as a whole year.  This team is a true team, not individual parts.

Wouldnt surprise me if Ballard is more aggressive this FA offseason than he originally thought he would be.

theres no reason to be conservative when you have 120 million that has to be spent in the next two years

I thought that this team would win around 8 games with Luck back. They will be right around that mark.

Making the playoffs will be nice if that happens but i'm also excited about the other results of this season that will help shape the future success of this team.

First, the Colts are getting real production from the rookies. Quenton Nelson and Darius Leonard have been great and others have showed some real promise. I'm hoping we see Turay make a big jump next season.

I also feel good about Frank Reich as the head coach and his staff. Sure, there have been some questionable decisions but overall I like what I watch.

Eric Ebron and Denico Autry have been as good or better than anyone could have hoped. Both of these signings are further proof of the front office decision making and the quality of the coaching staff.

I'm excited to watch the rest of this season unfold and really looking forward to the future of this team. I don't remember the last time I felt that way.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh, Dear God in Heaven!?!

What?   Why?    How?   Sigh....

Perhaps your worst post here — ever!

:facepalm:

• Like 1

No.    I don’t think this has been a good year.

I think it’s been a GREAT year!   

Fan-Freaking-Tastic!!!

One of the most enjoyable years I’ve experienced in 50-Plus years of watching the NFL.

Reich, Siriani, Eberflus and our ST coach — ALL first time in their positions and all have been great.   As good as anyone could’ve hoped for.

We appear to be a year ahead of schedule.    I predicted and hoped for 8-8 and we may end up with that.   Still the actual performance has been better than I hoped for.

As a fan, I couldn’t be much happier.   

:colts:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I’m gullible.  I believed Ballard was as great as Iraay said and I believed it when Ballard said Luck would be ready for thus season.  I believed history shows a healthy Luck is a winning season.  So I kinda thought this is where we would be except I am surprised by how smart Reich is.  I do believe he was the architect of that Eagles offense last year.  We used to never have receivers with any separation and now everybody is open with space to run.  That’s Reich setting them up and Luck picking the correct reads.    With lots of time I might add.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

theres no reason to be conservative when you have 120 million that has to be spent in the next two years

You "spend more" in FA when your team is a player or two away from a run.  When "rebuilding", which we are, i think you invest more in the quality players you have and build thru the draft.

Why waste that money when you think you arent ready to compete with the top teams.  

I like the fact that we will be able to afford keeping our young, rising stars.  It will be spent.  I'm just glad its not thrown around like monopoly money.  Cap space capital is as valuable as draft pick capital, maybe more as you can keep more of those draft picks you have developed.

• Like 1

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

You "spend more" in FA when your team is a player or two away from a run.  When "rebuilding", which we are, i think you invest more in the quality players you have and build thru the draft.

Why waste that money when you think you arent ready to compete with the top teams.  

I like the fact that we will be able to afford keeping our young, rising stars.  It will be spent.  I'm just glad its not thrown around like monopoly money.  Cap space capital is as valuable as draft pick capital, maybe more as you can keep more of those draft picks you have developed.

you know we have to spend it by 2020 regardless of where the team is at

our rising stars wont be paid until the next cap period, which is every 4 years 

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.    I don’t think this has been a good year.

I think it’s been a GREAT year!   

Fan-Freaking-Tastic!!!

One of the most enjoyable years I’ve experienced in 50-Plus years of watching the NFL.

Reich, Siriani, Eberflus and our ST coach — ALL first time in their positions and all have been great.   As good as anyone could’ve hoped for.

We appear to be a year ahead of schedule.    I predicted and hoped for 8-8 and we may end up with that.   Still the actual performance has been better than I hoped for.

As a fan, I couldn’t be much happier.   

:colts:

I agree, this reminds me alot of 2012. We may miss the Playoffs because of tiebreakers or what ever but this has been a very exciting 2nd Half of the season. The improvement we have shown since the Jets debacle is amazing. The Jags game is the only game we have lost since then. I think Colts fans are just breathing a sigh of relief that Luck is back to his oldself as well. At least I am.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Myles said:

Very happy.   The O-line seems fixed.   Luck is healthy.   Playmakers on defense.   

Maybe most importantly, the holes are exposed more than ever.   No question on what positions we need to address.   I think I picked 7-9 wins, so that is on schedule.

Yes, a running back should on top of the priority list. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you know we have to spend it by 2020 regardless of where the team is at

our rising stars wont be paid until the next cap period, which is every 4 years 

I know.  I said Ballard may be more aggressive than "planned" THIS off-season because of ,imo, defense,OL, coaching changes ,etc seem to be ahead of schedule.  I'm speculating based on Ballards past statements. His actions, and the state of the team in the framework of cap spending rules.  The "young rising stars" can be anyone currently on the team coming up on contract the next two years, plus extensions.  I didnt mean Q, Leonard,etc...obviously.

Seeing Luck healthy, and playing again made this season great for me.  Just give him some tools to work with next season, and we are on our way.  Whatever happens, the rest of this season is gravy,  we are just 1, or 2 players away from being a really good football team that can contend for the SB.

Well.... It puts smile on my face when i think about the fact, that we have been ranked last in the power rankings and everybody called us dead before the season even began....

I'm proud of what that team and the whole Colts organization achieved this season. 

New coaching staff, new schemes, qb coming back after more than a year playing not even a single game.... Great job everyone! 

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I know.  I said Ballard may be more aggressive than "planned" THIS off-season because of ,imo, defense,OL, coaching changes ,etc seem to be ahead of schedule.  I'm speculating based on Ballards past statements. His actions, and the state of the team in the framework of cap spending rules.  The "young rising stars" can be anyone currently on the team coming up on contract the next two years, plus extensions.  I didnt mean Q, Leonard,etc...obviously.

we have a few guys to sign, but not anywhere near 120 million worth by 2020

It’s been an exciting, fun, and frustrating year, that’s for sure.

We sit at 7-6, but I feel we should be 9-4. 

We had clear wins vs Redskins, Bills, Titans, Texans. 

We had clear losses vs Patriots and Jets. 

The rest of the games were toss ups late in the 4th quarter (Bengals, Eagles, Texans, Raiders, Jaguars(2), Dolphins). 

We’re 3-4 in those games. With Luck at QB, I think 4-3 or 5-2 in those late 4th quarter “toss up” games is not an unrealistic expectation.

So judging solely off of what’s transpired on the field, without having any pre season expectations (good or bad), I’d say it’s been a slightly below average year.

It really depends on if you want to evaluate the season based on your expectations going in, or based on what happened on the field with no respect to what you thought the team would be. 

16 hours ago, MPStack said:

Please, please elaborate more... You think a first year HC (Reich) is going to get roasted the end of the year for a decision to try and beat a division rival instead of take the tie?  That’s the decision the other guy (Pagano) would have made, because he was too conservative and constantly out coached by the opposing coach.  Reich isn’t going anywhere for one failed 4th down. His arrow is trending nothing, but up!

I'm not sure that 4th down call was a mistake at all. We were just in Week 4 of a "rebuilding year" of low expectations (at least that's what everyone thought at the time), and every one of those silly "power rankings" out there had the Colts near the bottom. I think that call was a message to the team, the fans, and the rest of the league that said this wasn't going to be the same old Colts team that you've seen for the last couple of years. 

Message received.