Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: Andrew Luck's return

stitches

11 minutes ago, CamMo said:

One of his most impressive throws was the one to TY down the sideline, imo. The one TY couldn’t quite reel in. 

I was a bit peeved because if it hit your hands, you got to catch it. It was not a wide open easy catch but for TY's ability, he should have had it. Very good throw on Luck's part. I agree, it was one of his best throws. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CamMo said:

One of his most impressive throws was the one to TY down the sideline, imo. The one TY couldn’t quite reel in. 

There was one in the first half where that I was impressed with, he roped it in between 2 defenders, was kind of off-balanced, & hit Jack Doyle right between the numbers. First down.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I sure was.  He really looked like he's learning Frank's quick hitting passing system.  Young Luck was terrible at crossing patterns and quick slants.  It was like he was aiming his passes on those routes.  Trying to guide them in...  Now he's ripping it into the windows and is hitting guys in stride.  Really was a pleasure to see him improve in that area.  His completion percentage,  how many different receivers caught passes, and the total number of completions and the way they were spread out was beautiful.  We still have to tighten up a few things but we gotta remember Frank is learning and getting used to that personnel as well.  Oh and another thing, Luck is getting very good at that back shoulder fade.  It may be time to get him a big receiver.  Because he placed both perfectly.  TY got the push off on his and Grant's was broken up but both were thrown perfectly.

Every time I saw those crossing patterns and slants being completed, I felt giddy, I am not going to lie. The next thing Luck needs to establish is chemistry for comeback routes with all his outside wide outs.

• Like 2

Just now, shastamasta said:

It works...but you need to have guys that can get YAC. Mack should help bring some of that when he comes back.

For all the flak Nyheim Hines took, I thought he rebounded extremely well when the regular season lights came on. Kudos to the coaching staff for not giving up on him and continuing to press on with him. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

For all the flak Nyheim Hines took, I thought he rebounded extremely well when the regular season lights came on. Kudos to the coaching staff for not giving up on him and continuing to press on with him. 

Maybe that was Frank's plan all along haha 

Just now, chad72 said:

Agree...I thought he was better than Wilkins (not sure about pass blocking though). I think Hines has that ability to create chunk plays when he touches the ball...would have been nice to see him do that yesterday. 

I know everyone loves Wilkins and he did fine...but he doesn't seem like a chunk play guy at this point. I think he could be (especially in a ZBS)...but it seems like he just puts his head down and falls forward most of the time....which results in positive yards but really limits the upside of the play. There are times when this is necessary...but it seems like he is doing this quite often. I wonder if they are coaching him to do this.

Either way, getting Mack should be a nice boost. He has shown that he can create in space and rip off chunk plays.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It's almost like cutting a late-round, low-risk, high-upside draft pick over a couple of preseason fumbles might not be the best course of action.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Maybe that was Frank's plan all along haha 

It seems like Frank knew what Hines brought to the offense all along and didn't showcase that in pre-season. He just wanted to see if he brought special teams value as well, which we found out he does not. Being a returner is just a different animal altogether.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's almost like cutting a late-round, low-risk, high-upside draft pick over a couple of preseason fumbles might not be the best course of action.

I think Frank and the staff were pushing too hard and fast for Hines to be Sproles.  He's definitely got the potential to become Sproles-esque but maybe he's just not ready for the return game yet?  Give him a year under his belt and his confidence improves and let him try return duty against next offseason.  His hands sure looked good coming out the backfield.  Looked very natural catching the ball.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He looks very quick. Only a matter of time till he starts getting a lot of yac.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think Frank and the staff were pushing too hard and fast for Hines to be Sproles.  He's definitely got the potential to become Sproles-esque but maybe he's just not ready for the return game yet?  Give him a year under his belt and his confidence improves and let him try return duty against next offseason.  His hands sure looked good coming out the backfield.  Looked very natural catching the ball.

I know who didn't look good in the return game yesterday... Chester Rogers. Having that guy back there is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 1

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I know who didn't look good in the return game yesterday... Chester Rogers. Having that guy back there is a disaster waiting to happen.

And I like Chester but my goodness...  You gotta know when to fair catch the ball...  I can see Pascal getting a chance at the job if Rogers does that crap again.  Pascal stepped up and made a big boy catch too.  That grab in traffic over the middle will get him more opportunities from Luck and Frank.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:
  • IMO, this was the most efficient he has ever looked. Arm strength was there, the gameplan just didn't call for many deep throws. Sooner or later you've got to uncork one to TY deep, but I'm totally ok with getting completions that make 2nd or 3rd and short.

He did throw a few deep balls, I suppose.  You had the offensive PI which was called back, but I agree, they need to be a little more aggressive in spots.  With this defense, you're not winning with FGs.

53 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Every time I saw those crossing patterns and slants being completed, I felt giddy, I am not going to lie. The next thing Luck needs to establish is chemistry for comeback routes with all his outside wide outs.

Man, I rememeber Peyton, and Marv would hit those comeback routes all game. It has been so long since I have seen them. 

33 minutes ago, #12. said:

He did throw a few deep balls, I suppose.  You had the offensive PI which was called back, but I agree, they need to be a little more aggressive in spots.  With this defense, you're not winning with FGs.

I think with Castonzo and Mack we can have a running game that makes the LB'ers more cautious. That would make play action work and allow for some deeper routes right?
It is coming.

24 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I was certain they'd take a deep shot after that AJ Green fumble.

Kind of hard to take that deep shot without two starting tackles against that Dline.  Especially since the dline has very little run responsibility so you are not going to get them to bite on PA pass very often.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if its just me or not but I would like to see Luck doing more in game studying or reviewing plays between possessions. Maybe I'm a lil spoiled on how PM studied the plays when on the sidelines. 

I feel this could open up some mismatches that he doesn't have time to see in the pocket. I could be wrong but I don't see him with a tablet much. 

2 minutes ago, strt182 said:

I'm not sure if its just me or not but I would like to see Luck doing more in game studying or reviewing plays between possessions. Maybe I'm a lil spoiled on how PM studied the plays when on the sidelines. 

I feel this could open up some mismatches that he doesn't have time to see in the pocket. I could be wrong but I don't see him with a tablet much. 

We don’t see it unless your at the game. He does look at the plays with JB on the bench. 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

I was a bit peeved because if it hit your hands, you got to catch it. It was not a wide open easy catch but for TY's ability, he should have had it. Very good throw on Luck's part. I agree, it was one of his best throws. 

TY ended up taking blame for loss due to that drop. I bet ya he's out that dling the old Wayne Jug machine

9 hours ago, strt182 said:

There were several cuts of him with the tablet.  In fact, one where if you read his lips he says, "where's the tablet?" It was behind the bench.  I like that he has a solid rapport with Jacoby as well, they talk as soon as Andrew hits the sidelines.  I also noted that the OC is on the sideline not in the booth, so both Frank and the OC are coaching on the sidelines which is interesting.  I don't think you have to be concerned here...just me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LockeDown said:

What about Mathis and Wayne? Are they on the sidelines during games?  Interacting with the players?

I believe Mathis is.  I think Wayne only served as a temporary coach for the offseason.  He may be back doing his NFL Network duties now.  I'm not exactly sure though.  Maybe someone with more knowledge can fill us in?

• Like 1