Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 NFL Draft Thread

LucasOilStadium

1 minute ago, Cynjin said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, what a joke and I'm not talking about the picks.

Much better players available. I like Leonard but he would most likely be available with or 3rd pick today and Williams is a much better prospect than Smith at bigger area of need. 

No need to get feisty over someone's opinion 

2 minutes ago, James said:

LANCE ZIERLEIN AT NFL.com on Darius Leonard

Long and twitchy with athletic ability and straight-line speed that should light up the combine. Leonard has packed on the pounds since hitting campus, but it hasn't compromised his play speed as he has posted dominant production throughout. He lacks play strength and there are times you want to see more nasty in his field demeanor, but he has the traits and talent to become a good, three-down linebacker who can play 3-4 inside backer or 4-3 WILL.

Right. He wont come off the field.  Now if we can get Shaq Griffin, I'd be happy.

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I dont know crap about Leonard but Smith is a beast and I'm very glad to have an upgrade at both guard spots I'd love to grab a RT later as well

Mewhort cant stay healthy. I cant wait to see Smith, Kelly, and Nelson protecting middle. AC still LT. Mayock almost came out of his chair and said Luck may not be touched next season :thmup:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Right. He wont come off the field.  Now if we can get Shaq Griffin, I'd be happy.

I'd like that. Shaq has the right attitude and passion to be a tremendous asset in our locker room 

Not surprised that the Colts took Leonard. I think he is a better fit for their defense then Landry. Smith was a bit of a surprise but the Colts are making sure this offensive line isn't a sieve. They still have another pick at 49 and I think they'll go CB, WR or DL. Also wouldn't be surprised if they trade down and pick up an extra pick.

6 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

These nitwits wanted whoever WASN'T picked.

its this way EVERY year.

its embarrasing to be a Colt fan sometimes.

All of the draft analysts had these two guys down their boards, certainly not at the top of the 2nd round. If anyone should be embarrassed it’s fans who come to this board with nothing to offer but attaboys for the Colts management no matter what they do.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I like Kallen Ballage out of ASU and many like Royce Freeman out of Oregan. Both bigger backs that would compliment Mack well.

Thats what o wanted to know. Sbdy to complement Mack. Thx. 

1 minute ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Only about 20 lol

Know there are a lot good left, but look what i wrote. That was what i wanted to know:D

4 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

I'd like that. Shaq has the right attitude and passion to be a tremendous asset in our locker room 

And the entire nation will root for him to succeed and Andrew to come back to normal. We'll be the nice midwestern team that everybody roots for and sticks it to the Pats and those Bristol * PR wise. 

That dynamic alone is worth pick 67 to me.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Braden Smith....can he play RT?

No...not according to most draft reports.  Might be able to play a little center though.  Seems kind of redundant with Mewhort around but good insurance in case he gets hurt or maybe an outright replacement if he beats him out. 

2 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Much better players available. I like Leonard but he would most likely be available with or 3rd pick today and Williams is a much better prospect than Smith at bigger area of need. 

No need to get feisty over someone's opinion 

It's not a matter of opinion,  I doubt you know much about either prospect.  I know Leonard was ranked high, but I gave never seen him play.  Ballard  apparently had him ranked higher than you.  I have seen both Williams and Smith play, Smith is a very good prospect and I believe he doesn't have the injury history that Williams has.

3 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

all these lineman being picked just shows how important teams realise this position is.

Exactly. I wish the Vikings front office realized that too. I'm disappointed that all the OL I wanted have been drafted (Wynn, Ragnow, Corbett, Daniels, Price, Kolton Miller).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lucky1 said:

I really hope Ballard is a genius among a bunch of *s but you have to think you could have traded back to get both these guys

I think this is why most Colts fans likely feel an initial "meh" about these players. It's just related to the draft pick value. If we traded back and selected Leonard around #15 and Smith around #20 of Round 2, it's fine. But right near the top of the draft, with many projected 1st-rounders falling to our lap? You just want to see Indy take full advantage of the pick value. 

I don't believe we did that here. Both players feel like mid- to late-second round talents. But hey, at least we're in the same round. Pittsburgh took Terrell Edmunds a full 1-2 rounds ahead of projections lol.

As for the players themselves? I actually think we'll be very happy with them. Leonard looks awesome, and should immediately become our best LB. Smith is a mauler for the right side and looks like a stud. 

The players? I'm happy. The value? Not so much. 

• Like 1

Just now, DougDew said:

But Williams isn't a good RT.  He'll probably be there at 67.

If it was my decision I would have gone Guice and Jackson and gotten a tackle like obrien later. I'm not upset about it though 

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Darious Leonard might turn out to be all that and a bag of chips. But right now I can't help feeling a little disappointed with the Colts taking him that high.  Seems like another project.

Have you watched him or are you looking at projections? I think he's a day one starter with instincts and leadership. 

I love Leonard and he was the best LB available for me - 3 downs linebacker with great instincts and athleticism. Braden Smith is a guard with great movement and athleticism, fits the new reported preferred zone blocking scheme(I wonder if they will try him at tackle, he started some games at tackle in Auburn).  

3 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

It's not a matter of opinion,  I doubt you know much about either prospect.  I know Leonard was ranked high, but I gave never seen him play.  Ballard  apparently had him ranked higher than you.  I have seen both Williams and Smith play, Smith is a very good prospect and I believe he doesn't have the injury history that Williams has.

No need to get upset buddy

7 minutes ago, azcolt said:

All of the draft analysts had these guys way down their boards, certainly not at the top of the 2nd round. If anyone should be embarrassed it’s fans who come to this board with nothing to offer but attaboys for the Colts management no matter what they do.

If you read Zierliens write up and walterfootballs write up, Leonard sounds like a high 2nd rounder to me.    Probably the 3rd best ILB in the draft after Smith and Evans (Edmunds a hybrid).  Not sure what the analysts see, or why they rate them low after writing them up.