Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 NFL Draft Thread

LucasOilStadium

55 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'll have to admit, the tapes I saw of Ragnow he moved his man downfield. 

The tapes I saw of Nelson, he stood his man up, and they both stood in place with hands down and chin pointed towards the air like two Sea Lions fighting for domination.  I guess looking like a Sea Lion is close to being a beast.

Man, you need to see some the Nelson tape that I have. Here's one of the sweetest takedown blocks you'll ever see, from our future Ring of Honor inductee :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

All that talk about teams picking/trading up for Lamar Jackson and if New England doesn't take him here, he's not even going in the first round.

Gotta wonder if having his mother as his agent and manager was a good idea. I feel bad for the young man

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I wonder why we went with Hughes there. Is he better than Isaiah Oliver?

I really wanted OL. With Daniels, Hernandez and Williams on the board, I thought we would draft one of them.  

They are close, I have Oliver above Hughes but very understandable. He's a good corner. The question with him will be if he can stay out of trouble. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks. I wonder why we went with Hughes there. Is he better than Isaiah Oliver?

I really wanted OL. With Daniels, Hernandez and Williams on the board, I thought we would draft one of them.  

Hernandez has short arms, the pundits said a lot of folks worry about that in pass protection in a passing league. He fits running teams like the Jags (like they need more OL and D??) :( 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

That is that... some head scratching picks and trades tonight for sure.

Seattle choosing Rashaad Penny has to take the cake, IMO. 

With no OL to block, you will still have RW running for his life.

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

They are close, I have Oliver above Hughes but very understandable. He's a good corner. The question with him will be if he can stay out of trouble. 

That is not good. I don't like to draft guys of questionable character especially early. They should have waited and drafted Holton Hill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's the players left on my board:

iK6CtVP.jpg

A ton of great talent left on the board IMO. 

Great list, but Derwin James has been taken. Where do you have Harold Landry rated? Still, though, what a talented remaining group! So glad we pick #4 and #5 back-to-back.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pables21 said:

Man, you need to see some the Nelson tape that I have. Here's one of the sweetest takedown blocks you'll ever see, from our future Ring of Honor inductee :)

Honestly, that's no different than what I've seen.  In pass blocking, when he engages his man, his feet set wide and don't move, as if he's relying upon pure strength to hold of the defender.  It works against a college DB, but not so well against NFL Dlineman.  I'm certainly in no position to argue with pro scouts.  I'm simply saying I've never seen his feet move very much when pass blocking.  

3 minutes ago, pables21 said:

Great list, but Derwin James has been taken. Still, though, what a talented remaining group! So glad we pick #4 and #5 back-to-back.

Lol, I copied the wrong row... it should be Harold Landry...  thanks for pointing it out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I thought Will Hernandez, Josh Jackson, and Harold Landry would all go on day one and they are still available.

Would be glad to see any of those players fall to us, esp Landry. He was a consensus top 10-20 projected pick, and is likely the 2nd-best pass rusher in the draft. If we come away with Nelson AND Landry, Colts fans should celebrate. 

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

What did the Seahawks just do? This is weird. 

The Seahawks did what the Colts used to do... draft players needing a good O-line before, you know, actually building a good O-line.

But not anymore :) 

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You know there's usually a couple big wow moments in a draft every year but this year takes the cake. Lots of head scratchers for sure. I'm glad I'm not a GM, my head would explode. 

Agreed, and they all benefit Indy. We're just sitting there at #4 AND #5 of Round 2, waiting to pounce on other teams mistakes. Oh, and we have the #17 pick of the round as well. 

Why can't they do Round 2 tonight?? Haha

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I'm in the philosophy no guard is worth a top 10 pick, every guard drafted top 10 in the draft for the past 20 years have been a bust 

Name any top player in this draft, I'll show you a flaw/negative in his game/character... except one player. Nelson. Find me the negative on him, where is the flaw?  In addition, this guy is being compared to Alan Faneca (round 1 pick #26 in 1998,  or Steve Hutchinson (round 1 pick #17 in 2001). Also, how is the Cowboys Zack Martin (round 1 pick #16 in 2014) working out?  So why the top 10 designation (instead of round 1) ?? Is that so you can toss out the pitiful (for almost every position/player) 2013 draft busts?

7 hours ago, TheMarine said:

Yeah, I expected that.  I pointed out in a post recently that PK says when GMs are drafting that high, they often have a target of 4 guys they feel pretty sure will be there at their spot, and won't trade down below that spot if their 'guy' is still there when the pick slot comes up. So I'm sure there was/were some potential trade offers on the table, and if none of Ballard's targeted guys were on the board at our pick, he would have traded out. When our pick was up, and Nelson was still there, the call(s) came to CB and he politely told them, no trade, our guy is there for our taking and were going with it.

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

And Ray Guy was a once in a decade punter.  So what.

/not sure if serious...

Certainly folks would not compare a player that is in on every offensive snap to a guy that only occasionally has to take a snap at the end of a drive?

9 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Hot take poll then.. of the QBs taken, who starts day 1 and who has the best overall rookie year? 

I think Rosen is most ready to start day one.  But maybe none do.  Mayfield will spell Tyrod in their first losing streak. Allen will supplant A.J. McCarron in short order (especially when weather turns bad) if he learns the offense install. Darnold will learn (and to protect the football) behind McCown, and also has to beat out Teddy Bridgewater (Hackenberg is likely gone).

8 hours ago, stitches said:

What did the Seahawks just do? This is weird. 

Their run game has been horrendous ever since Beast Mode vacated.  This guy could be their new workhorse.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think Rosen is most ready to start day one.  But maybe none do.  Mayfield will spell Tyrod in their first losing streak. Allen will supplant A.J. McCarron in short order (especially when weather turns bad) if he learns the offense install. Darnold will learn (and to protect the football) behind McCown, and also has to beat out Teddy Bridgewater (Hackenberg is likely gone).

Their run game has been horrendous ever since Beast Mode vacated.  This guy could be their new workhorse.

I mean... he truly needs to be beast mode in order to succeed with that O-line. How good can a 1st round RB be if he gets met by a defender 2 yards before LOS on every second snap? I also thought his pass-protection was horrible. I am not even sure if you can play him on 3d downs right now. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I mean... he truly needs to be beast mode in order to succeed with that O-line. How good can a 1st round RB be if he gets met by a defender 2 yards before LOS on every second snap? I also thought his pass-protection was horrible. I am not even sure if you can play him on 3d downs right now. 

Pete Carroll will be trying to get O line... they need to protect Wilson as much as we need to protect Luck. And they need running, from someone other then Wilson.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't like this. Jaguars piling up on interior linemen freaks...Good thing we got a freak of our own at guard. 

Yet, some were made we didn't trade down for more, but lesser, players...

14 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

I thought Will Hernandez, Josh Jackson, and Harold Landry would all go on day one and they are still available.

14 hours ago, chad72 said:

Seattle choosing Rashaad Penny has to take the cake, IMO. 

With no OL to block, you will still have RW running for his life.

Seattle already made moves, got pro bowler Duane Brown late last year, signed D.J. Fluker, developiing their young interior O line draft picks from recent past, and signed Mike Soliari as Line Coach (fired Tom Cable).  Her's their projected starting line as of now-

Duane Brown, LT - Traded for late last year
Germain Ifedi, RT - struggled when moved from guard, should be better this year
D.J. Fluker, Right Guard -  recently signed
Ethan Pocic, Left Guard - Seahawks high on this guy
Justin /Brit, Center - Seahawks exercised option to keep him until 2020

Fired Tom Cable, hired Mike Soliari as line coach.  I expect them to add more depth later in draft.

• Like 1

I really hope Josh Rosen falls flat on his face. His little rant got under my skin. First of all, he just ripped off the things Peyton Manning said before he was drafted, only Peyton had the class not to do it publicly to get attention. 

Secondly, this little turd means to tell me he holds it against us for not drafting him? 

Kid, even if we did draft you there would be zero future for you here. Same goes for the 49ers, and Broncos. You’d ride the bench until your butt hurt with the Giants, so they at least half count as well. 

Get over yourself. 

• Like 1