Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Bush says it's time to hit the PANIC BUTTON (merge)

LJpalmbeacher2

Could you blame luck for smiling while he says I'm going to be patient this time? He sit and watched Jacoby take a beating last year and nothing has been done to our oline to date. He's basically got one target and a 3rd down back to work with. I'd take all the time I needed to recover fully too.

Here is what I don't get about Luck and I haven't for quite some time.

It is almost as if he is expecting the shoulder to be 100% perfect before he will ever attempt a real throw with a real football.

Newsflash.....it will never be 100% again.  Ever.

I have been an athlete all my life.  Played almost every sport there is and 2 on the collegiate level.  Still play a ton of sports and lift weights 5 days a week.  2 years ago I tore my left rotator cuff while doing chest flies. My shoulder was basically hanging there.  Tore it completely.  However I did not want to have surgery as I couldn't lift for 6 months or so after if I did, not to mention I couldn't play other sports.

So I took about 4 days off and then just started rehabbing it myself.  Used about half the weight I usually did for my left arm and despite the pain and the shoulder continually feeling like it was coming out of its socket, I kept at it.  About a year later it was somewhat normal, and 2 years later it is 90% or so.  But it will never be 100% and I know that.  There are still many days when I lift that it hurts and I just accept it.

And that is what I don't get with Luck.  Obviously the shoulder is back to where he can at least throw and work out.  I just cannot see a reason, after a year and a half since surgery, that he cannot just say F it and start throwing.  I realize he is a pro athlete and throwing many balls during practice and during a game, but at this point the shoulder HAS to be better than when he played during the 2015 season.  IMO Irsay was somewhat right when he said a lot of the problems reside in his head.  At some point, if he wants to play again, he just has to accept the fact that there will probably always be pain in the shoulder and move past it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Here is what I don't get about Luck and I haven't for quite some time.

It is almost as if he is expecting the shoulder to be 100% perfect before he will ever attempt a real throw with a real football.

Newsflash.....it will never be 100% again.  Ever.

I have been an athlete all my life.  Played almost every sport there is and 2 on the collegiate level.  Still play a ton of sports and lift weights 5 days a week.  2 years ago I tore my left rotator cuff while doing chest flies. My shoulder was basically hanging there.  Tore it completely.  However I did not want to have surgery as I couldn't lift for 6 months or so after if I did, not to mention I couldn't play other sports.

So I took about 4 days off and then just started rehabbing it myself.  Used about half the weight I usually did for my left arm and despite the pain and the shoulder continually feeling like it was coming out of its socket, I kept at it.  About a year later it was somewhat normal, and 2 years later it is 90% or so.  But it will never be 100% and I know that.  There are still many days when I lift that it hurts and I just accept it.

And that is what I don't get with Luck.  Obviously the shoulder is back to where he can at least throw and work out.  I just cannot see a reason, after a year and a half since surgery, that he cannot just say F it and start throwing.  I realize he is a pro athlete and throwing many balls during practice and during a game, but at this point the shoulder HAS to be better than when he played during the 2015 season.  IMO Irsay was somewhat right when he said a lot of the problems reside in his head.  At some point, if he wants to play again, he just has to accept the fact that there will probably always be pain in the shoulder and move past it.

For one thing you have never been the starting QB for a NFL team.  You may have been a athlete you whole life but you have never had the pressure of a multi million dollar franchise depending on you. Comparing what you went through with what Luck has been through does not compute.

You said you never had surgery? Well, Luck did so how does that relate to you?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CantBeStopped said:

Based off of what Reggie? The fact he has a slow, methodical approach to his rehab instead of rushing back like he tried to last year?

Or that his rehab has taken twice as long as anyone else, sports professional or not. 

• Like 2

I have never worried once he wouldn't be back.  If he can't come back ultimately, then you know he tried to do everything possible and it is one of those things that happens.  I personally think he comes back with Peyton Manning like abilities, meaning brain power.  Remember, Lucks brain is as good as his physical gifts.  He might just have to use them more now. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

For one thing you have never been the starting QB for a NFL team.  You may have been a athlete you whole life but you have never had the pressure of a multi million dollar franchise depending on you. Comparing what you went through with what Luck has been through does not compute.

You said you never had surgery? Well, Luck did so how does that relate to you?

Exactly, I've played sports and been in competitive powerlifting and body building for 22 years. If you rush is like it says he did it sets you back. I had really bad tendinitis and inclination in my right shoulder. That crap hurt so bad that I thought I tore my rotator. Went and got a shot a couple weeks ago and feels way better. Point is, slow and steady is what will get it back to as normal and close to what it was. It may or may not be what it was but he will still be a great QB because what's between his ears

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Exactly, I've played sports and been in competitive powerlifting and body building for 22 years. If you rush it like it says he did it sets you back. I had really bad tendinitis and inflammation  in my right shoulder. That crap hurt so bad that I thought I tore my rotator. Went and got a shot a couple weeks ago and feels way better. Point is, slow and steady is what will get it back to as normal and close to what it was. It may or may not be what it was but he will still be a great QB because what's between his ears

22 hours ago, Flash7 said:

He's missed 26 games in the last 3 years (not all due to the shoulder of course).

I understand that, but he's not the only one to miss games and miss a season.  Plenty of players have missed regular season games and/or a full year and came back just fine.  We'll see what happens.

On 4/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Even if Luck retired tomorrow, I still don't think Ballard would "hit the Panic Button".  What does that even mean?  haha

Unless you call the Brissett trade and Reich hire panic moves to make up for no Luck or McDaniels, then if Ballard hasn't hit the panic button by now, I doubt he ever will.

:dunno:

In fact, he's so cool he traded away his best chance to land a top QB prospect.  Who needs insurance at the most critical position in football?

3 minutes ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

In fact, he's so cool he traded away his best chance to land a top QB prospect.  Who needs insurance at the most critical position in football?

I'm just saying if Ballard is hitting the panic button now, then he's been mashing it since he got hired.

tenor.gif?itemid=3894001

Why is Reggie Bush correct in saying that NOW it's all of a sudden time to hit the panic button?  If anything, it's BEEN time to hit the panic button.

But I just don't see Ballard as the panic button type.  :thmup:  Now if you wanna talk about a Panic Binder...  haha

8 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I have never worried once he wouldn't be back.  If he can't come back ultimately, then you know he tried to do everything possible and it is one of those things that happens.  I personally think he comes back with Peyton Manning like abilities, meaning brain power.  Remember, Lucks brain is as good as his physical gifts.  He might just have to use them more now. 

Maybe he can throw left-handed.

2 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

It's now officially alarming, and what does Ballard do?  He trades away our best chance to (ugh) replace Andrew with a top QB prospect.  So we'll get to watch a guard, defensive end, linebacker or running back lead us to 8-8.

Any QB in this years draft that will be considered elite would have been gone by pick three. Just because the media built this years QB choice as something special does not mean it's true.

This years crop of QBs as a whole are junk. The top QB prospects are going one-two in the draft and with the needs of the team Ballard not only made a smart trade he also made a shrewd trade.

I guess you heard Ballard when he said this team is not about one player but you didn't believe him or understand what he meant.

Regardless of Lucks future with the Colts Ballard is moving forward. He traded for Brissett and when he made the trade he said it was for the future. How ever that may turn out is yet to be determined.

In the mean time you can be as negative as you want to be or accept that this is the NFL and that is reality. It never goes as you, me or anyone else wants it to.

3 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

It's now officially alarming, and what does Ballard do?  He trades away our best chance to (ugh) replace Andrew with a top QB prospect.  So we'll get to watch a guard, defensive end, linebacker or running back lead us to 8-8.

Maybe 1 of those top 4 will be there @6, I don't think so but maybe. I think Rosen or Mayfield will be the last of top 4 drafted. And anyone of them can be as gpod as the other. I think ALL 4 can be top qb's in nfl. What a great QB draft class!

It doesn't matter if any are there at 6 though caus ballard won't draft 1 anyway.

On April 10, 2018 at 10:08 AM, pgt_rob said:

I watched the video on the link and I agree to what they're saying to an extent. I personally wouldn't hit the "panic button" unless Andrew Luck still isn't throwing by training camp. Which, I think, could very well be a huge possibility that Luck will not be throwing or even considered "full go". It has been 70 weeks since Luck has thrown a football and Luck mentioned that he still doesn't feel perfect as of yesterday. I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for his return for game #1. Just my thoughts. Wish we could fast forward through the offseason craziness but that's what I'm thinking. 

That's a good benchmark to shoot for. A perfectly reasonable expectation PGT. 

On April 10, 2018 at 11:02 AM, 1959Colts said:

I have to admit, I too am skeptical, with this whole Luck situation

I'm totally fine with some level of skepticism right now. There's no shame in that at all. I won't condemn anybody for that ever. You're not rooting for bad news on Luck's behalf; You just want tangible evidence that Andrew can throw. I get it 59 Colts. 

On April 10, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Reggie will be right to an extent. We don't want to hear it, but Luck is rehabbing slowly and not progressing as fast as we would like to see. If he does return for the start of the season, there will be lots of rust and it'll take a while for him to get into 4th gear again. I see him returning around halfway through the season, and getting back to his old self at before the season is over. We just have to hope that the O-Line improves and he doesn't re-injure himself.

BTW, Kay Adams is adorable and she is the best girl on tv to discuss football. Very easy on the eyes, and a fantastic personality. She genuinely has fun every day she is on Good Morning Football, and she carries the show.

Hey JC, 

I like regulars that tell us what we need to hear not what we wanna hear. You're really good at that. Uh huh. I also agree that the right pieces have to be in place to not get Chewbacca put back on IR again. 

Absolutely right on your Kay Adams observation too BTW. I don't watch the show that often but she does make salient points on the few episodes I've seen anyway. 

I want Luck back & I'll even accept it if he's returned to 85% of what he once was. I can usually catch myself when I'm not being objective about Luck's recovery. The naysayers could be right. They're not doing it [fans on the forum I mean] to antagonize folks. I know that. They just want this team in the best position to win with or without Luck. Nobody knows what will happen even Andrew. Until then, I remain in a holding pattern that Luck will return this season. Any other mindset is counterproductive. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NewEra said:

Screw Reggie bush 

Got to love the direct approach. Also, should we really listen to a guy forced to relinquish his Heisman Trophy BTW? 

I know this matter has no bearing on Luck's ability to play ball, but it does call into question his judgement somewhat right? I think so. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, aaron11 said:

they really do

either they are trolls, we are homers, or the truth lies in the middle

i think we would be lucky to see him play past 35 or so

The draft will tell a lot. If they think  he is done, they will draft a qb in the first.

Luck hinted that he did something to prolong the recovery time and said as much. That accounts for some of the time. Add to that, the complexity of the shoulder and the different degrees and lengths of recovery and you have what appears to be a conspiracy by the Colts and/or some damage that is FAR worse than they are letting on, in some people’s eyes.

Like I said, the draft will say a lot about the Colts confidence in Luck’s recovery. All else is chatter and link bait. 

Hitting the panic button is the worst thing you could do if Andrew isn’t likely to come back. He’s the only reason we are in a hurry to get to the SB. If he is out of the picture I prefer a slow methodical approach. Where we draft our team. Including QB in what would be the 2020 draft. But that’s not going to happen. 

On April 10, 2018 at 1:16 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Man, Bush is feeding the doom and gloom crowd like a mother breast feeding a baby.

You can say that again CC1. I just watched yesterday's DVRed episode of "Undisputed" & Skip Bayless is in typical Luck hatred form. SMH. I swear he loves to slam our owner, bring up Luck turnovers, & convey the nonstop impression is an overrated bust. Unbelievable. 

At least, Shannon Sharpe brought up the need to protect Luck & fan reservations about still not throwing a ball yet. Those concerns are reasonable ones. I only watch the show because I've always liked Sharpe. 

Funny thing is so many pundits love to bring up stuff that has no bearing on our 2018 outlook: Former GMs, Luck's salary like he's the only QB injured on the job, & they find any excuse to criticize our organization like a broken record. 

I'm not going anywhere. I'll be here when INDY starts making playoff runs again no matter how much mud they sling. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, Alex22 said:

Brees has taken some pretty big hits over the years after his injury and he is still around setting records. 

Peyton was supposed to have a noodle arm - then he set records. 

I'm not saying they are the same - but if Luck changes his style a little and doesn't fight to make a play on every down he will avoid many of the big hits that may re-injure. 

It's all uneducated opinions until we see Luck play.  

I think he will be ok. He looks huge and you can't get that big without lifting some pretty heavy weights. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000916939/article/andrew-luck-using-weighted-balls-to-rehab-shoulder

Also, if the footballs are heavier then that's no bad thing. Though, he probably wants to make sure all his mechanics and footwork are set before he starts throwing the football and doing live action drills. 

I wouldn't worry at this stage - he isn't doing himself any favours rushing back. Still a long way to go until the season starts...

I will say this....at least at this point Peyton had grainy cell phone videos of him working out at Duke floating around. Luck we don't have squat and it worries people. Either way I'm not getting worked up but I can see why people have doubts.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, Alex22 said:

It is probably one of the worst to watch if you want to hear actual football knowledge. 

There is no one on that show that knows anything about football. 

I would rather watch the paint on the color rush uniforms dry...........

NFL Network...ugghh....there is basically nobody watchable on that show. That even includes Reggie Wayne. They all make my ears bleed with their non-sense. There aren't a lot of people that can carry on an intelligent conversation and then they have a ton of former players that are not articulate in the least. I try to shy away from those channels unless I'm just trying to get some basic information about an injury or signing. I don't watch it for much else anymore.

• Thanks 1

On April 11, 2018 at 2:18 PM, southwest1 said:

Now, if Reggie Wayne said this, I'd be in meltdown mode, but Bush? Get outta here...

Great meme stuff as always Lolly! 

#87 has spoken....I freaking love this soon to be HOF WR man! 

Colts Nation can breathe a sigh of relief now. 

Sidenote: On a earlier NFL Total Access episode, Reggie was asked where Johnny Manziel might be playing this season & Wayne saying instantly the only thing he'll be playing this yr is playstation man. LOL! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2018 at 3:03 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Any QB in this years draft that will be considered elite would have been gone by pick three. Just because the media built this years QB choice as something special does not mean it's true.

This years crop of QBs as a whole are junk. The top QB prospects are going one-two in the draft and with the needs of the team Ballard not only made a smart trade he also made a shrewd trade.

I guess you heard Ballard when he said this team is not about one player but you didn't believe him or understand what he meant.

Regardless of Lucks future with the Colts Ballard is moving forward. He traded for Brissett and when he made the trade he said it was for the future. How ever that may turn out is yet to be determined.

In the mean time you can be as negative as you want to be or accept that this is the NFL and that is reality. It never goes as you, me or anyone else wants it to.

It's alarming that Ballard doesn't realize that winning pro football championships IS about one player, the quarterback.  All else pales in comparison.  Surely a Colts fan can appreciate this simple principle having seen what Manning and Luck can do when healthy.

Every year, guys like you say there are no good QB prospects and every year you are proven wrong.  The Colts would be sitting pretty if they'd moved up to draft Trubisky last year like the Bears did.  Either Watson or Mahomes would look good in a Colts uni right now.  So have it your way... the top QB prospects are junk, so let's draft a guard, who along with Brissett, will lead us to the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

It's alarming that Ballard doesn't realize that winning pro football championships IS about one player, the quarterback.  All else pales in comparison.  Surely a Colts fan can appreciate this simple principle having seen what Manning and Luck can do when healthy.

Every year, guys like you say there are no good QB prospects and every year you are proven wrong.  The Colts would be sitting pretty if they'd moved up to draft Trubisky last year like the Bears did.  Either Watson or Mahomes would look good in a Colts uni right now.  So have it your way... the top QB prospects are junk, so let's draft a guard, who along with Brissett, will lead us to the playoffs.

It's amazing how many people here have took Luck for granted and think Franchise QB's grow on trees lmao. 11-5 with him in his 1st 3 seasons and an AFC Title Game Appearance and some people just ignore that. Without him we have stunk.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

And how many championships have we won with Manning and or Luck?  Yes we won a lot of games but there lies the problem with too many Colt AND Pacer fans.

This we are a small market mentality so we have a built in excuse for never winning the big games is getting old.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

And how man championships have we won with Manning and or Luck?  Yes we won a lot of games but there lies the problem with too many Colt AND Pacer fans.

This we are a small market mentality so we have a built in excuse for never winning the big games is getting old.

Lets not kid ourselves, If we hadn't drafted Manning the Colts wouldn't be in Indianapolis today. We would've be gone years ago. We have won a ton of games, won a SB in 2006 and been to 5 Final 4's while in Indy. With Luck we are 46-30 in this era and been to a Final 4, without him we are 10-16. Basketball wise we have played in 8 Final 4's and a Finals since the 90's.

• Like 1

People act like since Nick Foles won a SB that we can just pick up anyone and win a SB. Doesn't work like that unless you have a dominant Defense and dominant Running game. Almost every QB that has won a SB is a HOFamer or will be one. Other than Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and now Nick Foles every QB that has won a SB will be or is a HOFamer. Jim Plunkett who won 2 is the main rare exception that isn't in. I named 6 QB's out of 52 years that won that aren't or wont be HOFamers. That is a small %. Eli will even make it because he has the Stats with 2 wins.

• Like 1