Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official: Nick Sirianni hired as Colts' OC

zibby43

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

A coach's son, stickler to details, sounds like a young <whose name shall not be mentioned> to me without the play calling experience:

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-chargers/post/_/id/23590/chargers-have-void-to-fill-with-nick-sirianni-headed-to-indy

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/12/nick-sirianni-colts-offensive-coordinator-here-5-things-know/328471002/

I like these lines:

where he started as an offensive quality control coach before working with quarterbacks and wide receivers

Jon Gruden started as an offensive quality control coach, so Nick has done extensive preparatory work on game planning on the offensive side. How he adapts to game day play calling, we will soon find out.

If he calls the plays here maybe Reich calls plays who knows. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

{snip}

I like these lines:

where he started as an offensive quality control coach before working with quarterbacks and wide receivers

Jon Gruden started as an offensive quality control coach, so Nick has done extensive preparatory work on game planning on the offensive side. How he adapts to game day play calling, we will soon find out.

Not just a QC coach, Jon Gruden was The_First quality control coach; hired by Mike Holmgren.  It is the entry level coaching position, but teaches the most of any football staff position. They get to break down film on teams up to 5 weeks in advance of a game, analyze plays /schemes and tons of statistical data, run the scout team, fetch coffee at practice... you name it.  If anybody spends more time at the office than the HC, these are the guys.  It's not unlike the student studying for their doctorate.  Tough and grinding, but pays off later.

Do people really think it's reasonable to decide someone should or should not be an OC because of one play in the Superbowl?

I personally was not a big fan of Bevell because he was very inconsistent as an OC, when you look at his career his rankings are all over the place, which tells me the rankings were more a result of personnel not his prowess at OC.

Sirianni has his shot now, let's hope he does well.

19 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Do people really think it's reasonable to decide someone should or should not be an OC because of one play in the Superbowl?

Evidently, yes.

I said in a different thread a few days ago, I can't imagine being judged on the basis of my worst moment. 

9 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Sirianni is known to sometimes be quite animated. Like in Philly, where Reich was the calm good cop and DeFilippo was the screaming bad cop, Sirianni may play the bad cop role here.

And maybe he will be just what young Mr. Moncrief needs to get him back on track. :scoregood:

I doubt DeFilippo was screaming at his quarterbacks.

28 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I personally was not a big fan of Bevell because he was very inconsistent as an OC, when you look at his career his rankings are all over the place, which tells me the rankings were more a result of personnel not his prowess at OC.

Sirianni has his shot now, let's hope he does well.

Seattle’s offensive coordinator, Darrell Bevell, hung his receiver out to dry after the game on Sunday.

Darrell Bevell says Lockette could have been stronger to the ball.

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

Seattle’s offensive coordinator, Darrell Bevell, hung his receiver out to dry after the game on Sunday.

Darrell Bevell says Lockette could have been stronger to the ball.

Aren't you one of the posters that used to knock Pagano because he supposedly didn't hold players accountable for their mistakes?

20 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

This a done deal. 

The Colts are not going to announce anything on the day of Edwin's funeral. This is why we did not hold a press conference for Reich today. 

Just listened to an interview on the app where Matt Taylor from Colts.com confirmed that Sirianni will be the OC, and Reich spoke about how much he's looking forward to working with him. Still looking for something in writing, but it's confirmed from the coach himself at this point.

12 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

there's accountability and then there's ducking one's own accountability, and then there's throwing shade

Oh, so a coach needs to hold players accountable in a manner you find acceptable or he's throwing people under the bus.

I also thought this was an interesting quote from an SI article.

On my tour of NFL camps, I’ve asked five men—two coaches, three quarterbacks, anonymously—what they thought of the play call and the execution of the play. The reaction has been mixed. Interestingly, not a single one supported running a power rush by Lynch against the New England front with three 300-pound-plus defensive tackles filling the gaps. One quarterback said, “Then it would have been third-and-goal from the 2 or 3, and you’d burn your last timeout. So you’d be there with what, how many seconds left? [About 20.] And you’d probably be farther away than you were on second down.”

Hmm interesting.

33 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Oh, so a coach needs to hold players accountable in a manner you find acceptable or he's throwing people under the bus.

Hmm interesting.

did you even watch the flow of the game?  no, i don't condone holding players accountable in a manner that I find acceptable.  hold players accountable unless you yourself screw up, assuming it's a catastrophic play.  Otherwise, play-on.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Hmm interesting.

I don't want to derail the thread too much but that comment is just a bunch of boloney. Anyone watching that game knows that NE was on their heels and momentum was on Seattle's side. It's not like no team has never run the ball against 3 300 lb men and scored a goal line touchdown. In fact quite the opposite...late in the game a defense that is bewildered you cram that in.....or you run a naked boot leg if you don't think you can cram it in on them. I think that is just people making excuses for the poor play call. The only defense of the OC on that was the execution was worse than the call. The throw was very high (that play is designed to have a low throw so the wr can shield the ball from the defender and if it gets tipped etc it goes into the ground....Tom Brady makes this throw all the time and the defender goes down and dives/slides and catches it)...and yes the wr didn't have a very good break and was a little weak I do agree...but it was a bad call either way....and while a throw can be called there under the clock and circumstances it is considered much riskier to throw over the middle of the field into a heavily congested defense on the goal line....not the best option imo.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, Superman said:

Evidently, yes.

I said in a different thread a few days ago, I can't imagine being judged on the basis of my worst moment. 

Oh...no doubt...I wouldn't want that either...unfortunately though we do this all the time...especially in this viral world where everything is recorded for us to relive day in and day out for the more famous people.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, Superman said:

I hope they fix that horrible WR bubble screen play, and add about 30 more. 

Hopefully installed day 1. I mean I've never seen a team so inept at screens then the Colts...I mean even HS teams could figure this stuff out....and the fact we never ran them...never get it. The fact we had a porous OL meant teams were already aggressive against us....I don't see why we couldn't have used that to our advantage and run more RB screens....and the WR screens...I don't know if it was just our WRs didn't want to block anyone or what...but yep..we have to do better than the last coordinator.