Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich In The Film Room

krunk

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Bring that Philly offense to Indy. Would be a perfect match for Andrew. You can see he knows how to scheme up mismatches. The way his mind works you can tell him and Peyton stayed up late when they were here cooking up stuff.

If that offense includes a pass to Luck, we know he’ll catch it.

One of the things he mentions in this clip at one point on a passing play is 3 Levels. I point this out because I remember Superman diagraming out how Tom Moore used to attack defenses with Levels concepts. A guy deep, a guy across the middle and a guy short, which gave the QB plenty of options. Frank used that in this film. Opposite of what Chud used to do.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

One of the things he mentions in this clip at one point on a passing play is 3 Levels. I point this out because I remember Superman diagraming out how Tom Moore used to attack defenses with Levels concepts. A guy deep, a guy across the middle and a guy short, which gave the QB plenty of options. Frank used that in this film. Opposite of what Chud used to do.

“Game plan: Gore up the middle on first down.   Rinse and repeat.”

I always like when coordinators say something like a quarterback should never throw across his body. We frown on that, but what the hades Carson is good. So, we let it slide. 

Frank definitely understands matchups, the value in giving his QB multiple targets every down, & he uses the ground game to wear down LBs in the second half of games. 

I don't believe this personally, but 1 criticism of Frank Reich that gets mentioned is this: That he isn't a leader of men. Based on how he broke down the blocks Blount got during that Chargers game, I'd say that good information that helps your team win quarters late is all the leadership any coach really needs. Frank will be fine. 

I also got a kick out of Reich saying that other QB [Philip Rivers] is pretty good too. I like when coordinators praise other players greatness so calmly almost making them sound ordinary using sarcasm like yeah, he's decent I guess in their tone. 

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Bring that Philly offense to Indy. Would be a perfect match for Andrew. You can see he knows how to scheme up mismatches. The way his mind works you can tell him and Peyton stayed up late when they were here cooking up stuff.

Yeah...I prefer the Philly style of running backs guys like Blount and Ajaii to the finesse style runners that McDaniels would have liked such as Dion Lewis anyway.  Maybe he can influence Ballard to bring in some more physical runners. Reich is a product of the Manning era Colts and worked closely with Peyton.  He definitely knows his stuff and his way around the film room. I like this guy. 

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Yeah...I prefer the Philly style of running backs guys like Blount and Ajaii to the finesse style runners that McDaniels would have liked such as Dion Lewis anyway.  Maybe he can influence Ballard to bring in some more physical runners. Reich is a product of the Manning era Colts and worked closely with Peyton.  He definitely knows his stuff and his way around the film room. I like this guy. 

Barclay or Guice would fit that mold.  I can see him telling Irsay he would like to return to the glory years with a resurrection of the triplets.  

I also love the fact that Philly runs to love out of 3 WR formations, that was a big part of how they beat the Pats:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/9/16994154/film-review-eagles-offense-won-super-bowl-with-heavy-dosage-of-runs-out-of-three-wide-receiver-sets

Ultimately, Ballard needs to get us a top notch OL, everything else will follow on the offensive side. 

Hey all, been reading these forums for awhile. Finally decided to sign up. First I’d like to say I really appreciate all the knowledge offered in this forum. It’s the first place I visit for all news Colts. Now, onto the topic. 

I’m partial to Toub myself,  but unfortunately he doesn’t seem to be an option. Reich is definitely high on my list though. He comes from a strong coaching background and I’m thoroughly impressed with his fingerprint on the Eagles offense/Wentz/Foles. Not knocking Foles, but I think some undervalue what it takes to turn a backup to starter to Super Bowl MVP in a matter of weeks. Now, could have been DeFilippo, idk. But I’d put my money that Reich’s experience coaching Manning played a large role in the development of Foles. 

I think a combination of Reich/Bevell will be a very pleasant surprise to us Colts fan.

Side note: I just read IndyStars article on our switch from a 3-4 to 4-3 and I must admit it’s got my hyped for what’s to come on the defensive side of the ball. I have big hopes for this team moving forward, and I have full confidence in Ballard’s ability to turn this team around.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm hoping its Reich too. If its Campbell I'm prepared to put a bag over my head. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't think hes the one for our situation.

We’re in the same boat. I think you and I talked about Reich a few months back before we thought it was Josh. I’m hoping that Ballard’s comments about not getting to interview all their candidates initially was in reference to Reich. That hire makes too much sense. He checks all of my boxes:

- Good age at 56

-X’s and Os coach

-Comes from a good coaching tree

-No reality TV type personality

-Leader of men (noted motivation speaker)

-Strong Faith

I thinks he’s the perfect fit.

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

He pretty much admitted he doesn't make the play calls in this video.  

But if that's his  offense or the offense he'll bring over, I'm all for this hire.   

I think that's the big question.  That's his offense in Philly.  Would he want his new OC to run the same offense or let him run what offense he's had success with.  Will he let his OC call the plays?  I think each candidates choice of OC and how it fits with Ballards ideas on how he thinks the offense should be constructed is key.  Bevell's name keeps coming up but which candidate would would fit Bevel the best.  We'll know soon. 

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

We’re in the same boat. I think you and I talked about Reich a few months back before we thought it was Josh. I’m hoping that Ballard’s comments about not getting to interview all their candidates initially was in reference to Reich. That hire makes too much sense. He checks all of my boxes:

- Good age at 56

-X’s and Os coach

-Strong Faith

Same for me. Think he could help Andrew and I think that Philly offense is dynamic. Would love to have that scheme here. Andrew could run that at a higher level than Wentz. Also love how they made use of Ajayi and Blount along with Clement. Plus I'm sure Reich has intimate knowledge of our defensive schemes. The Bills were infamous for their Cover 2 zone schemes. All hes been in is that type of defense or similar for the most part.

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm hoping its Reich too. If its Campbell I'm prepared to put a bag over my head. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just don't think hes the one for our situation.

Agree. Campbell just doesn't feel like the right path. And he would probably be here for at least four years.

The focus of the next hire has to be on QB development. The next guy has to be able to help Luck get back and then to another level...OR he is going to have to develop one if Luck is truly done. 

Reich checks that box...but Campbell does not. 

If they hire Leslie Frazier, I will have a difficult time being the fan I have been.  

1 hour ago, ricker182 said:

He pretty much admitted he doesn't make the play calls in this video.  

Which is fine, because Peterson didn't call the plays in Kansas City under Reid. 

As long as Reich (if hired) can bring that scheme that can continually beat BBs defenses, I'm down with it.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

If its Reich i am wondering if hed go with Bevell.

For better or worse, I think Bevell is the guy they want for OC...so I hope Reich signs off. 

I wish they would have just hired Reich on Wednesday so he could bring Defilippo along as OC. But they I think they have blinders on for Bevell.

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

- Good age at 56

-X’s and Os coach

-Strong Faith

I will add QB development to the list. Reich has helped Manning, Rivers, Wentz and Foles. That alone holds more value to me than anything that Campbell could bring...and it is imperative that the Colts have someone that can do this...even if he doesn't cal plays.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

For better or worse, I think Bevell is the guy they want for OC...so I hope Reich signs off. 

I wish they would have just hired Reich on Wednesday so he could bring Defilippo along as OC. But they I think they have blinders on for Bevell.

I hope they dont have blinders on for Bevell. If something else makes sense then I hope they would be open. I dont have any major problems with Bevell but the HC should not be forced to take him.

1 hour ago, ManningTheTrenches said:

Hey all, been reading these forums for awhile. Finally decided to sign up. First I’d like to say I really appreciate all the knowledge offered in this forum. It’s the first place I visit for all news Colts. Now, onto the topic. 

I’m partial to Toub myself,  but unfortunately he doesn’t seem to be an option. Reich is definitely high on my list though. He comes from a strong coaching background and I’m thoroughly impressed with his fingerprint on the Eagles offense/Wentz/Foles. Not knocking Foles, but I think some undervalue what it takes to turn a backup to starter to Super Bowl MVP in a matter of weeks. Now, could have been DeFilippo, idk. But I’d put my money that Reich’s experience coaching Manning played a large role in the development of Foles. 

I think a combination of Reich/Bevell will be a very pleasant surprise to us Colts fan.

Side note: I just read IndyStars article on our switch from a 3-4 to 4-3 and I must admit it’s got my hyped for what’s to come on the defensive side of the ball. I have big hopes for this team moving forward, and I have full confidence in Ballard’s ability to turn this team around.

Welcome aboard!   Love your username. Hopefully we are in for better times ahead. 

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I hope they dont have blinders on for Bevell. If something else makes sense then I hope they would be open. I dont have any major problems with Bevell but the HC should not be forced to take him.

Agree. But I don't just don't know who else is out there and the connection to Ballard/Dodds is very strong.

MIN was very smart to pounce on Defilippo. Obviously he wanted a scenario where he could call plays...he would have gotten that here. I think Reich and Defilippo would have been a very realistic option if MIN hadn't stepped in.

But now it seems like Bevell is the only guy out there...and he has been linked to the Colts for weeks. So I really hope Reich is good with that...because he is the only reasonable candidate at this point.

14 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I will add QB development to the list. Reich has helped Manning, Rivers, Wentz and Foles. That alone holds more value to me than anything that Campbell could bring...and it is imperative that the Colts have someone that can do this...even if he doesn't cal plays.

Agreed. A playcaller with a QB friendly system who also can help develop QBs (and was a former QB himself) is exactly what we need. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I agree...Campbell is a novelty..That shtick will wear on the players real quick, too much like Rex Ryan for me..At this point out of reported candidates Reich is ahead by a mile...The more I look into him the more I like him..Ive reconciled to the fact we aren't gonna go for a big name splash guy which I selfishly wanted..Im hoping he comes in and has a Pederson like effect, and I think it's a good possibility..

16 hours ago, krunk said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cAHV5T0UlNc

Good clip of him breaking down film

Philly has some pretty nice video breakdown by their coaches. I've been watching some of them and DeFilippo sounded extremely impressive in those. Much more than Reich actually. At least to my untrained, amateur football ear. That's why I wanted us to interview him for the job more than Reich, but that ship has sailed already. 

2 hours ago, ManningTheTrenches said:

Welcome to the board and nice write up. I'm alot like you in terms of this forum. I get on here daily but seldom post. I love this forum, if it's Colts related it is sure to be on here. I am also pulling for Reich, seems like a very intelligent man with alot of knowledge. Pair him with Bevell and a healthy Andrew Luck and our offense should be in great shape for the future. 

I love Reich. Moving forward many in the national media think he is the perfect fit for the Colts and Luck just like they were onboard with the Ballard hire. Manning raves about Frank as well as Polian BUT my fear is that Ballard will want to steer away from that Dungy, Polian, and Manning era to make his OWN mark thus all the Campbell talk. I hope I'm wrong. Even though Polian and Dungy endorsed Josh as everyone else did it was more based on his pairing with Luck as an offensive mind while also having that connect with Brissett in case Luck wasn't ready.  

This whole Campbell being the front runner scares me. Yeah he can talk but so could Chuck with the build the monster / chopping wood etc. The whole Parcell endorsement has more of a my guy type of feel to it as Campbell once called himself the little tuna. Now when Campbell had that small window at Miami as interim hc the rah rah yielded a couple of early wins due the excitement but quickly wore thin as the lack of scheming, gameplanning and overall direction reared its head. To compare him to Jimmy Johnson who had won titles in college as hc, or Cowher who had been dc in KC for years as the comparable mold is a stretch. Even Parcells had been hc at Army and was dc in NY before took the hc job with the Giants. Campbell has no specialty, has never been an oc or dc yet he LOOKS the part but in the end when Campbell had the chance to become that guy on a permanent basis being tough had nothing to do with X's and O's.

Don't get the love for Bevell either. No one is knocking his door down for any type of job right now per many reports. The Seahawks were built on defense and their offense was Lynch pounding the ball with Wilson making a play here or there when needed. Once Lynch left it basically was Wilson in ad lib mode which thus led to Bevell's firing as oc. Now that he's gone many on the Seahawks have taken shots at his lackluster offense. Let's not forget that awful play call on the goal line in which many call the worst play in SB history that cost the Seahawks from repeating as back to back champions. Leslie "super conservative" Frazier of ALL people fired Bevell as oc with the Vikings. To me he's not the guy for Luck at this point of his career but he is Ballard's boy going back to their days with the Badgers. We'll see.

So I will state that I hate seeing the offense change every couple years so Offensive minded coach has me intrigued .  On the flip side, Campbell reminds me of Cowher and I wanted him to come back to coaching before we hired Pagano as I love his grit and the Steelers grit when he coached them.