Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mularkey Fired. 1 more job open

Jackie Daytona

Just now, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

They just meant he was safe for last week. It's a whole new week now!

Hey coach you are safe for a week even though you would not be fired this week just know you are safe but if you go to New England and lose you are gone 

It smells like the A.J.Smith/Marty Schottenheimer episode where the GM and the coach could not see eye to eye even after what outsiders would call a successful season.

The coach basically went down like a captain with his ship, and was loyal to a fault.

Most coaches would try to stay away from this situation where the GM feels like he needs to dictate the ensemble of coaches. I think this would have to lean McDaniels towards us, as long as Irsay opens his checkbook out. :) 

You know, it was Mularkey's fault that the called false start was changed into a neutral zone infraction and that the final second at Gillette can take 5 seconds before it winds down to zero. Also his fault for the weak OPI on Decker too. And his fault a face mask on Henry didn't get called on 4th down either.

15 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:

You know, it was Mularkey's fault that the called false start was changed into a neutral zone infraction and that the final second at Gillette can take 5 seconds before it winds down to zero. Also his fault for the weak OPI on Decker too. And his fault a face mask on Henry didn't get called on 4th down either.

Finally someone who gets it. 

22 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Finally someone who gets it. 

Be that as it may, Mularkey is not a championship head coach.  He has a career record below .500 and Tennessee was expected to put up 10+ wins with the talent they had this past year, but they fell short of that.  I'm not saying he's the worst head coach in the league, but when you're aspiring for championships, you can't settle for an average head coach.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

I imagine it would be very difficult to bring the top head coaching prospects to your franchise if they see they'd have to deal with management like this

That's true. I also wonder if it had something to do with coordinators. Maybe the FO wanted Mularkey to get a new staff in order to get an extension but Mularkey refuses and is fired.

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

That's true. I also wonder if it had something to do with coordinators. Maybe the FO wanted Mularkey to get a new staff in order to get an extension but Mularkey refuses and is fired.

Looks like they wanted McDaniels from the start, but had to wait for the Titans to lose before firing Mularkey.  However, that makes the reports of an extension very weird.

Why would you offer him an extension if you want McDaniels from the start?

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Looks like they wanted McDaniels from the start, but had to wait for the Titans to lose before firing Mularkey.  However, that makes the reports of an extension very weird.

Hmm, that's interesting. I agree that Mularkey should have been fired, but I'm not sure why they chose to do it in the way they did. My guess is that they originally were fine with keeping Mularkey but something changed overnight. Either Mularkey had a disagreement with the FO or the Titans were found out something about McDaniels and were confident they could hire him.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I was going to throw this out there before I scrolled down to your post. Their GM is a former New England guy. It wouldn't surprise me to see McDaniels go to Tennessee and Patricia go to Detroit. Both have former Patriot staffers running their teams now. 

8 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Hmm, that's interesting. I agree that Mularkey should have been fired, but I'm not sure why they chose to do it in the way they did. My guess is that they originally were fine with keeping Mularkey but something changed overnight. Either Mularkey had a disagreement with the FO or the Titans were found out something about McDaniels and were confident they could hire him.

They found out they had a chance to get Mcdaniels

5 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I was going to throw this out there before I scrolled down to your post. Their GM is a former New England guy. It wouldn't surprise me to see McDaniels go to Tennessee and Patricia go to Detroit. Both have former Patriot staffers running their teams now.

I'm hoping the Colts are able to get McDaniels over the Titans.  I think he's ready for another head coaching gig.  It would suck to see him go to a rival AFC South team

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm hoping the Colts are able to get McDaniels over the Titans.  I think he's ready for another head coaching gig.  It would suck to see him go to a rival AFC South team

The QB edge goes to Indy, but I think someone like McDaniels would have a hard time working for an owner like Irsay. 

2 minutes ago, GoPats said:

The QB edge goes to Indy, but I think someone like McDaniels would have a hard time working for an owner like Irsay. 

I don't think so.  I've been very critical of Irsay, but the man is insanely loyal and cares a lot about winning.  He also isn't one of those super meddling owners you see around the league.  The bigger issue with him coming to Indy is I imagine he would want a lot of say into player personnel decisions, but I don't think Ballard will want to relinquish any of his powers, so to speak.  Whereas in Tennessee, he and the GM have worked together in the past, so perhaps the relationship there might be easier for them to work with.  At the same time, he'd have the opportunity to work with Andrew Luck; as much as I like Mariota, a healthy Luck is way better.

If McDaniels does choose the Titans because of the “ceiling” of Mariota and Lucks shoulder then I don’t think that’s a smart move on his part.  It’s not like Mariota has been healthy the majority of his career either.  It even seems to me that when he is healthy and playing he gets nicked up at some point during the game.  As some have stated loyalty by Irsay and the front office, a high draft pick and a ton of cap space is a great start for someone trying to come in and build around his scheme.  Sure, the Titans are a better team now but imo they have a ton of work to do as well with many uncertainties.  Then again I am a colts fan who wants Josh as our coach lol

It isn't being discussed much in this thread and I don't know how to link from my phone.....

But.....

From everything I'm reading, the Colts stand a good chance of losing McDaniels to Tennessee.   Remember, the Titans GM, Jon Robinson, came from New England.   He's apparently tight with McDaniels.   And the thinking is Robinson wouldn't fire Malarkey without believing he's got McDaniels already in his back pocket. 

For thise who want the Colts to sign McDaniels,  this would be the worst possible outcome....   to lose your HC candidate to a division rival.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It isn't being discussed much in this thread and I don't know how to link from my phone.....

But.....

From everything I'm reading, the Colts stand a good chance of losing McDaniels to Tennessee.   Remember, the Titans GM, Jon Robinson, came from New England.   He's apparently tight with McDaniels.   And the thinking is Robinson wouldn't fire Malarkey without believing he's got McDaniels already in his back pocket. 

For thise who want the Colts to sign McDaniels,  this would be the worst possible outcome....   to lose your HC candidate to a division rival.

We cannot hitch our entire wagon to 1 HC candidate. We build the best staff possible out of whoever is available and go from there.

It is what it is, it is beyond our control at this point. We can only put our best foot forward and sell what we have to McDaniels, can't do much more. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

But.....

I'm wondering if word got to Tenn that McDaniels is "interested."

they have a nice core roster with a young, exciting QB with lots of potential.  The connections with Tenn staff also make it interesting.'

I add this to the Nagy "thing" and Wilks "thing" and my mind goes to concerns on Andrew.  But if thats the case, the new coach could always take a QB at 3.  

If McDaniels is Ballards guy, he better pull out all the stops because this could get ugly. Tenn would like nothing better than to pull the rug out from under us.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't think so.  I've been very critical of Irsay, but the man is insanely loyal and cares a lot about winning.  He also isn't one of those super meddling owners you see around the league.  The bigger issue with him coming to Indy is I imagine he would want a lot of say into player personnel decisions, but I don't think Ballard will want to relinquish any of his powers, so to speak.  Whereas in Tennessee, he and the GM have worked together in the past, so perhaps the relationship there might be easier for them to work with.  At the same time, he'd have the opportunity to work with Andrew Luck; as much as I like Mariota, a healthy Luck is way better.

I don't know man. You may be right. You know I have the utmost respect for ya, lol... I just don't see McDaniels wanting to work for Irsay. He Tweets about player injuries/statuses, etc... most recently there was the whole "it's all mental" thing with Luck... I don't see it happening. 

Maybe I'm way off. Maybe McDaniels is your next coach. I'm just listening to my gut here. (And admittedly, sometimes my gut is pretty dumb.) 

1 minute ago, GoPats said:

I don't know man. You may be right. You know I have the utmost respect for ya, lol... I just don't see McDaniels wanting to work for Irsay. He Tweets about player injuries/statuses, etc... most recently there was the whole "it's all mental" thing with Luck... I don't see it happening. 

Maybe I'm way off. Maybe McDaniels is your next coach. I'm just listening to my gut here. (And admittedly, sometimes my gut is pretty dumb.) 

And he is!

The reason for him being fired remained uncleared, but its pretty obvious to us Titans fans what really happend:

Owner Amy liked Mularkey but she liked him in a sense of him being a HC but changing his philosphy on offense moving forward, meaning getting rid of the “smashmouth” football. You know where you line up 6 OL, 1WR, and run 3 TE sets. Its dumb and it isnt catering to your QBs strength, Mularkey refused to do so they parted ways. 

15 hours ago, YourManBlu said:

If McDaniels does choose the Titans because of the “ceiling” of Mariota and Lucks shoulder then I don’t think that’s a smart move on his part.  It’s not like Mariota has been healthy the majority of his career either.  It even seems to me that when he is healthy and playing he gets nicked up at some point during the game.  As some have stated loyalty by Irsay and the front office, a high draft pick and a ton of cap space is a great start for someone trying to come in and build around his scheme.  Sure, the Titans are a better team now but imo they have a ton of work to do as well with many uncertainties.  Then again I am a colts fan who wants Josh as our coach lol

McDaniels would have much more talent in Tennessse than he would in Indianapolis.

Top offensive line, with promise prospects on offense, in Taywan Taylor & Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith. And a veteran in Walker that is still a top 5 TE

20 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

20 hours ago, GoPats said:

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But.....

Because of the rules, if the Pats win over the Jags, the Colts (but not Titans) can have an interview (2nd interview) with McDaniels the week prior to Super Bowl week. So We are ahead ion the timeline, but will it matter?

16 hours ago, bigt said:

I didn’t read every response to this and this may have already been mentioned, but John McClain confirmed the Titans have asked to interview Mike Vrabel.  Same old Titans.

They need to interview Rooney Rule candidates too...

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Because of the rules, if the Pats win over the Jags, the Colts (but not Titans) can have an interview (2nd interview) with McDaniels the week prior to Super Bowl week. So We are ahead ion the timeline, but will it matter?

They need to interview Rooney Rule candidates too...

Vrabel isn't a minority.

I have been reading other teams message boards during the coaching search. While on the Titans board I noticed when they talked about their coaching opening one of the things many of their fans think is a big positive for their team is having Mariota as QB. 

I understand fans are going to support their QB, but many of their fans seem to think he is an elite top tier QB. Admittedly I don't watch many Titans games unless they are playing us (and the playoff games). I see a decent young QB who has some upside if he stays healthy, but definitely not seeing anything elite/top tier or even "very good tier" for that matter. 

Am I missing something or is it "Titans colored glasses"?

-- Figured I would throw the question in this thread instead of starting a new one for this.