Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay & The Interview Process

Dark Superman

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can say whatever they want about Jim scaring off this Nagy guy, but he's proven that he's a great owner in the sense of if you're worth it, he'll pay you. Just paid Andrew for the year same as Peyton when he was hurt as well.

Always made every guy top paid at his position in the golden years. 

Nagy can go kick rocks if he was scared off. Most teams wish they had an owner who pays all his good players top dollar.

12 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Bill Polian was here during a time when the Colts were winning a lot of games and were practically a lock to make the playoffs every single year.

The Colts haven't been to the playoffs since 2015.

After going through the whole Grigson-Pagano apocalypse, maybe Irsay is becoming a little less patient. He definitely has some medical issues, as he's known to abuse prescription drugs, so maybe the stress of losing is getting the better of him?

I know Irsay will allow Ballard to bring in his people, but that press conference had me shaking my head, as I came away embarrassed to be associated with this guy.

I wish Jim Irsay let Chris Ballard do all the talking, inside and outside of the organization. I love Irsay's passion for the sport, team, and commitment to winning, but he needs to keep his mouth closed and allow Ballard to run the show.

When I watched Matt Nagy's press conference after signing with the Bears, I immediately felt disappointed we didn't get this guy. Listening to Nagy talk reminded me a lot of Colts General Manager, Chris Ballard.

I'm high on both Toub and Nagy, so I was definitely disappointed we didn't end up with Nagy.

That's all baseless conjecture, if you ask me.

There's a lot of noise about Irsay being a troublesome owner, but there's zero evidence of that. He doesn't meddle, he's well respected by everyone who's ever worked with him, and he (mostly) hires good people and lets them do their job. 

If you have a problem with the owner of the team addressing the media about a very news worthy event, then that's a "you" problem. He's the owner, he can address the media whenever he wants, and usually when he does, it's to sell his product -- the Colts. That's his job. If you find that embarrassing as a Colts fan, I think that's something you're going to have to work through on your own. The owner is going to speak publicly.

It's obvious that he has personal issues, but it's a little unfair to always resort to his past issues with drugs. The way he's moving around, it's obvious that he's in a lot of pain, which kind of suggests that he's not using anything. He's not a good public speaker, but that's always been the case. Just because he says 'um' and 'uhh' a lot doesn't mean he's high.

And suggesting that the man who extended Grigson and Pagano and gave them both more time than almost anyone in the media or fanbase thought they deserved... the same man who took a full three weeks to fire Ryan Grigson ... the man who is now allowing Chris Ballard to take his sweet time with this very momentous coaching search ... has become impatient? I think that flies in the face of reason. Irsay is painted as this impetuous and unpredictable man, and that's largely based on some issues in his personal life, but it has zero to do with how he runs the Colts. 

As for Nagy, that's just a difference of opinion. Suffice it to say, he wasn't very high on my list. And if he didn't like the fit with the Colts, it's a good thing he chose Chicago, because Irsay isn't going anywhere, and I don't think Ballard will be leaving any time soon either.

Can we lock this topic!! It’s dumb... we’ll never know what happened and really to me the comments from Childress are hearsay..  unless Nagy himself comes out and says he’s uncomfortable I won’t believe it and it doesn’t specify what he was uncomfortable with.  It could have been the answers he got about Luck or the fact that’s Chris wants someone to come here for more than just Luck.  

Also,  let’s keep in mind that Nagy loved Trubisky in the draft last year.  If he liked the guy more than a probably healthy Luck he’s an *.  Not to mention I think he’s very dumb because our situation is much better even if Luck isn’t completely healthy.  We have a better GM, patient owner, 3rd pick, and 84 million in cap space. 

20 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Matt Childress reported that Nagy spoke to someone two people from the Colts organization. (Irsay, Ballard) And came away feeling "Uncomfortable" which lead him to sign with the Bears.

I like Nagy, but you're right, he's a guy who still needs to establish himself as an NFL coach.

Remember, this is all speculation and just my personal opinion. But I do see your point, Superman.

More conjecture, especially the bolded. Accepting as fact that Nagy spoke to two Colts reps, what makes you think one was Irsay? The interviews took place in KC, not Indy. Irsay said Ballard would be running point for initial interviews, and would bring Irsay in for the finalists. We don't know who the "second" person was.

We do know that Irsay's right hand man is Pete Ward, and we know Ward sat in with Grigson during initial HC interviews in 2012. If there was a second person Nagy spoke with, I'd bet it was Ward, not Irsay.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

We had an entire thread on this after the press conference, a week and a half ago.

By the way, here's what Polian said recently about Jim Irsay's role in a coaching search:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/01/08/nfl-hall-fame-executive-bill-polian-colts-coaching-search-there-no-profile/1013928001/

This idea that Irsay would be a detriment to hiring a coach is -- and pardon my bluntness -- just dumb. 

Just curious Supes, in your opinion does Jim Irsay look or act the same way today as he did back in 2002 and 2009?  Or to put it more bluntly does he seem as mentally sharp?  If not, then Polian's comments about how Irsay was sixteen and nine years ago proves little.  People can rapidly decline over a period of years particularly where drug and alcohol abuse is involved. We don't really know the extent or severity of Mr. Irsay's battle with these substances.

Now  with that said...I don't agree with the original poster that rsay was  the reason that Nagy didn't sign here.  Personally, I think Nagy never had an offer from the Colts...he just interviewed with them.  But he did get one from the Bears and didn't feel it was in his best interest to wait around for the Colts to finish their process..particularly if he left that interview feeling uncomfortable about the experience.  Can't really say that I blame him nor am I disappointed that he won't be coaching the Colts. 

22 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

So let's say Chris Ballard picks Josh McDaniels to coach this team. Would we have to wait until the Patriots season is over to find out? or would they announce it beforehand?

The Colts can't "officially" make an offer and McDaniels can't "officially" accept an offer until after the Pats season is over.

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

now there are reports that Nagy felt "uncomfortable" during the interview.

Uncomfortable? There's only one person that could make someone feel uncomfortable in Indianapolis and it's not Chris Ballard.

I don't think it's professional for a candidate to be saying things like that.  It reflects poorly on him and is evidence to me that the fit was not right at all.

-Jim didn't scare anyone off and is one of the best owners in the league. We have won more games than any franchise since the 2000 Season with the exception of the Patriots. People need to ignore other fanbases who Post on Facebook and Twitter and your lives will be much better. They are just a bunch of haters that know nothing about Jim. They love kicking us while we are down and love to mock Jim because he has had a pill addiction. The only thing Jim is at fault is, is being to loyal at times to his players, FO, and Coaches. Like keeping Grigson and Pagano longer than he should've.

-The myth he did Peyton dirty is ridiculous as well. He payed Peyton 25 Million dollars for the 2011 Season and Peyton didn't even play a down. That is a hell of a way to say thank you for the great years you have given us if you ask me. We needed to rebuild and Peyton understood that, so going with Luck was the right move from a business standpoint money wise and to rebuild the team. Luck had a Very Good season too and we went 11-5 so it's not like it back fired. People can say Peyton won another SB so it did back fire, Peyton won another SB because he finally had a Great Defense to help him out. He is retired now and Luck will be entering his prime. My point to all of this is Irsay has made a lot of right decisions. Making sure we took Luck instead of RG3, Peyton over Leaf, etc.. Hiring Tony Dungy is another one. Irsay ok'd all of these moves, it wasn't just the GM's decisions on those. Bill Polian was actually 50/50 on who to Draft between Peyton and Leaf and Irsay made sure it was Peyton.  

Uh, you actually believe those tweets? To me, it sounds like the Bears trying to crap on the Colts and hype up their guy. The Bears didn't steal Nagy away from the Colts. Besides, Ballard would have been the one to interview Nagy, not the Colts. This is my guess as to what happened: Nagy interviewed with the Bears and got a HC offer, and the Bears let him finish his interviews. After his interview with the Colts, Nagy didn't get an offer from Ballard. Ballard may have been interested, but still has interviews to finish and wants to take his time. Nagy doesn't want to lose the chance, so he accepts the Bears offer. Then the media decides to exaggerate things.

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Just curious Supes, in your opinion does Jim Irsay look or act the same way today as he did back in 2002 and 2009?  Or to put it more bluntly does he seem as mentally sharp?  If not, then Polian's comments about how Irsay was sixteen and nine years ago proves little.  People can rapidly decline over a period of years particularly where drug and alcohol abuse is involved. We don't really know the extent or severity of Mr. Irsay's battle with these substances.

He looks like he's breaking down, physically, and is in a lot of pain. Whatever effect drugs or alcohol or both have had on him, I don't think we can know. 

All I really care about is his decision making, to be honest. There's no indication that he's not capable of making good decisions for the Colts. He's been meticulous, IMO, over the past two years. If anything, patient to a fault with Grigson and Pagano. He moved deliberately in 2017 and came away with the well connected, well spoken of and well respected Ballard. He doesn't meddle with his coach and GM. 

And by the way, the process is apparently the same now as it was in 2002 and 2009. Irsay lets the GM run the search, and he gives his okay once the search is done. He said that's how he intends it to happen this time.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He looks like he's breaking down, physically, and is in a lot of pain. Whatever effect drugs or alcohol or both have had on him, I don't think we can know. 

All I really care about is his decision making, to be honest. There's no indication that he's not capable of making good decisions for the Colts. He's been meticulous, IMO, over the past two years. If anything, patient to a fault with Grigson and Pagano. He moved deliberately in 2017 and came away with the well connected, well spoken of and well respected Ballard. He doesn't meddle with his coach and GM. 

And by the way, the process is apparently the same now as it was in 2002 and 2009. Irsay lets the GM run the search, and he gives his okay once the search is done. He said that's how he intends it to happen this time.

He still seems very sharp but physically he is breaking down due to severe bad back issues and joint pain. Looks like he can barely get around. IMO he is not the best speaker but seems to still be sharp menatally overall.

yea i dont know, all accounts of Jims interaction with previous interviews Gm and coaching wise have been positive, im not sure why all of sudden he would be scary Jim, even he did why the heck would we want Nagy coaching our team anyways, maybe Jim purposely put his scary face just for Nagy lol. Seriously though i dont think Irsay had anything to do with Nagys decision. On another note yes Jim did look quite messed but who are we to assume things and pass judgement..

8 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Uh, you actually believe those tweets? To me, it sounds like the Bears trying to crap on the Colts and hype up their guy. The Bears didn't steal Nagy away from the Colts. Besides, Ballard would have been the one to interview Nagy, not the Colts. This is my guess as to what happened: Nagy interviewed with the Bears and got a HC offer, and the Bears let him finish his interviews. After his interview with the Colts, Nagy didn't get an offer from Ballard. Ballard may have been interested, but still has interviews to finish and wants to take his time. Nagy doesn't want to lose the chance, so he accepts the Bears offer. Then the media decides to exaggerate things.

That is exactly what happened IMO. Maybe the Bears media are still sore about losing to us in the SB :sarcasm:

14 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Kravitz agreed with you, he said the Colts didn’t offer him the job.  

The way the Bears work, we can probably get him as our OC in two years anyway.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Ok fair enough.  I appreciate you sharing your opinion on that. 

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

So if Irsay is to ever step away from his role as team owner, who takes his place?

I'm pretty sure one of Jim's daughters is already set up to take over when Jim steps aside. Think this was done a few years back. 

3 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I know a lot of people on here are behind Irsay, but did anyone else notice him at the press conference he and Ballard held a few weeks back? I know he has a past of abusing prescription drugs and such, and I am in no way, shape or form calling the guy out on a possible relapse, but Irsay looked like a complete mess and quite possibly on something. His speech was all over the place, making zero sense, and his eyes didn't even look open during that interview. I know the NFL doesn't drug test the their Owners, GM's, etc, so I guess we will never know, but anyway.

I have a strong feeling Jim Irsay is one of the reasons behind Matt Nagy not signing here. Chris Ballard and Matt Nagy seem to have a lot of respect for each other and have the same mindset when it comes to professional football.  I was shocked that Nagy picked the Trubinski and the Bears over Luck and Ballard's Colts. If Chris Ballard tells Nagy that Andrew Luck will be healthy for the 2018 season, I think Nagy signs immediately. But he didn't and now there are reports that Nagy felt "uncomfortable" during the interview.

Uncomfortable? There's only one person that could make someone feel uncomfortable in Indianapolis and it's not Chris Ballard.

Jim Irsay scared Matt Nagy out of Indianapolis, I just know it.

This horse dung again?!? 

2 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Can we lock this topic!! It’s dumb... we’ll never know what happened and really to me the comments from Childress are hearsay..  unless Nagy himself comes out and says he’s uncomfortable I won’t believe it and it doesn’t specify what he was uncomfortable with.  It could have been the answers he got about Luck or the fact that’s Chris wants someone to come here for more than just Luck.  

Also,  let’s keep in mind that Nagy loved Trubisky in the draft last year.  If he liked the guy more than a probably healthy Luck he’s an *.  Not to mention I think he’s very dumb because our situation is much better even if Luck isn’t completely healthy.  We have a better GM, patient owner, 3rd pick, and 84 million in cap space. 

Wow. So we cant have a comment or an opinion?  Since when does having a discussion warrant being locked out?

3 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

So if Irsay is to ever step away from his role as team owner, who takes his place?

How do you "step away" from owning the team? You either own it or you don't. If he decides, for some reason, to sell out it'll be to whoever can write a really, really big check -- like a couple of $billion or so. If you've got that kind of spare cash lying around, give him a call and see if he's interested. Otherwise...well, you know. 

4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

If Irsay was responsible for scaring off Nagy then I believe thanks are in order, because that second half was embarrassing. We don’t have Travis Kelce on our roster so his playbook wouldn’t be effective here. 

The Chiefs are allergic to the AFC South in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

How do you "step away" from owning the team? You either own it or you don't. If he decides, for some reason, to sell out it'll be to whoever can write a really, really big check -- like a couple of $billion or so. If you've got that kind of spare cash lying around, give him a call and see if he's interested. Otherwise...well, you know. 

I don't expect him to sell the team, but when Irsay went away for a while a few years back, his daughters took his place with the daily operations. Would that happen if something happened to Irsay? I can't see him selling the team.

Sorry I am a little late to this thread.  For one I will say that many here have a random negative view of Jim Irsay because of some issues he has had.  I get the perception you have but yet Polian has stated that he is a man that has some great knowledge when it matters.  The Colts are everything to him so for many here that think he is just some random baffin that screws things up for us....you are simply wrong.  He has a hiccup from time-to-time but nothing more than a personal thing in the media he deals with himself.  

Now to think that he is the reason a guy signed somewhere else...in the first part of the interview process is just crazy to me.  Jim Irsay was probably not involved one bit with the first interview.  There was a lot of random fluff placed behind Nagy with the Colts and since has been seen as fluff.  We gave him an initial look and the Bears jumped at him. Plan and simple.  We did not offer the job but merely showed some interest....big deal.  I doubt we had anything other than some mere interest anyways.  This looks like a non store that created a store to me.  Just click bait in the long run!

5 hours ago, Superman said:

That's all baseless conjecture, if you ask me.

There's a lot of noise about Irsay being a troublesome owner, but there's zero evidence of that. He doesn't meddle, he's well respected by everyone who's ever worked with him, and he (mostly) hires good people and lets them do their job. 

If you have a problem with the owner of the team addressing the media about a very news worthy event, then that's a "you" problem. He's the owner, he can address the media whenever he wants, and usually when he does, it's to sell his product -- the Colts. That's his job. If you find that embarrassing as a Colts fan, I think that's something you're going to have to work through on your own. The owner is going to speak publicly.

It's obvious that he has personal issues, but it's a little unfair to always resort to his past issues with drugs. The way he's moving around, it's obvious that he's in a lot of pain, which kind of suggests that he's not using anything. He's not a good public speaker, but that's always been the case. Just because he says 'um' and 'uhh' a lot doesn't mean he's high.

And suggesting that the man who extended Grigson and Pagano and gave them both more time than almost anyone in the media or fanbase thought they deserved... the same man who took a full three weeks to fire Ryan Grigson ... the man who is now allowing Chris Ballard to take his sweet time with this very momentous coaching search ... has become impatient? I think that flies in the face of reason. Irsay is painted as this impetuous and unpredictable man, and that's largely based on some issues in his personal life, but it has zero to do with how he runs the Colts. 

As for Nagy, that's just a difference of opinion. Suffice it to say, he wasn't very high on my list. And if he didn't like the fit with the Colts, it's a good thing he chose Chicago, because Irsay isn't going anywhere, and I don't think Ballard will be leaving any time soon either.

Good post 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Not sure I remember correctly, but I think he broke his hip at SMU in the early 70s.  Some kind of football injury has dogged him for a long time.

7 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

I know a lot of people on here are behind Irsay, but did anyone else notice him at the press conference he and Ballard held a few weeks back? I know he has a past of abusing prescription drugs and such, and I am in no way, shape or form calling the guy out on a possible relapse, but Irsay looked like a complete mess and quite possibly on something. His speech was all over the place, making zero sense, and his eyes didn't even look open during that interview. I know the NFL doesn't drug test the their Owners, GM's, etc, so I guess we will never know, but anyway.

I have a strong feeling Jim Irsay is one of the reasons behind Matt Nagy not signing here. Chris Ballard and Matt Nagy seem to have a lot of respect for each other and have the same mindset when it comes to professional football.  I was shocked that Nagy picked the Trubinski and the Bears over Luck and Ballard's Colts. If Chris Ballard tells Nagy that Andrew Luck will be healthy for the 2018 season, I think Nagy signs immediately. But he didn't and now there are reports that Nagy felt "uncomfortable" during the interview.

Jim Irsay scared Matt Nagy out of Indianapolis, I just know it.

There are exactly 32 of these jobs in the world...... fewer than 10 available openings any given year...... yeah, I'm sure someone of Nagy's IMMENSE stature in the biz was scared away from a boss who may or may not be slightly unhinged,but is well respected throughout the league by his peers, and would have paid him millions......