Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interview requests and confirmations (merge)

stitches

2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Being new to the forum, I must say that I am enjoying all the speculation and conspiracy theories. Very entertaining and informative. I feel like I need to up my game as a fan every time I come to the forum!

This is the most fun the forum has been since right before our week 1 game vs the Rams LOL.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...it's not Toub. It could be anything...but it would have to big. Things that come to mind (though highly unlikely):

1) Harbaugh

2) Saban

3) A second interview with one of the original candidates

4) Peyton Manning (being involved and/or present at the interview)

I had the exact same thought when i read that, especially number 4..... Saban though, he's not leaving Alabama, his wife has already made that clear. 

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.

It'd be funny if that "Ballard constructing a Super Staff" post turns out to be on the money, at least in idea.

Ballard seems to be meticulous...but also opportunistic. IF one of his HC candidates suddenly was available for a coordinator position, I have to think he would be all over it. 

Just now, shastamasta said:

Ballard seems to meticulous...but also opportunistic. IF one of his HC candidates suddenly was available for a coordinator position, I have to think he would be all over it. 

Yep. I pretty much fully expect Kris Richard to be our DC now, I honestly don't see how they could justify hiring anyone else.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I had the exact same thought when i read that, especially number 4..... Saban though, he's not leaving Alabama, his wife has already made that clear. 

Yeah...I don't think Saban is even a possiblity. I also didn't think Harbaugh was either...but he would definitely fit the mold of an interview that you would want to keep quiet.

25 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lots of weird things happening this off-season that could maybe/possibly be affecting coaching changes. Saw an article that a few people are even suggesting that Hoodie may be considering an exit from NE to go to NYG, a job he's always coveted aparently, (although I know he & Kraft are on record as saying he will "absolutely" return next season).

Ha, Maybe we fans are just impatient here in the 21st century...

Between Friday and today, I've seen hoodie to NYG, Saban could potentially leave for NYG, & all signs are pointing to Matt Patricia getting the NYG HC job.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s not about former HC experience. Usually someone with former HC experience is someone who was fired for not performing adequately ( i.e. Josh McDaniels). So, while there’s retreads like Pete Carroll who end up turning it around with a 2nd chance, typically you don’t want to hire a former HC because he’s a “former” HC for good reason. It’s about finding the right guy. Pagano was just a very bad hire. A lot of current HCs are first timers. Mike Tomlin is a great example.

Very true. 

Pagano didn't seem like a bad hire back at that time. Although he fell into the same situation that some of the current candidates are in: 1 year of experience in being a coordinator, rising up the ranks at a fast pace. 

But I understand, this means nothing, and should not be the end all be all way of judging how a future head coach will perform. These new comers need to be given a chance at some point to prove themselves, otherwise we are stuck with the same names over and over again... I guess I'm just thinking about this weirdly, the thought of grooming coaches over years, instead of a fast high rise. 

Maybe my depression is hindering my vision and judgement today. FWIW, I do actually like Steve Wilks. I just don't know enough about him yet...

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep. I pretty much fully expect Kris Richard to be our DC now, I honestly don't see how they could justify hiring anyone else.

I also wonder if that wouldn't possibly help make our HC job just that much more appealing to somebody like McDaniels, or any candidate for that matter. Have an already experienced DC, if for just 1 year, who has at least proven to be good with DB's and players love him.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Never go against the wife's wishes. I've learned that mistake in the harshest way. Saban seems like a smart fellow.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The Harbaugh speculation is full-tilt on Reddit right now as well.

Harbaugh woud fit the bill. But I just can't see it. Personally, while I respect that Harbaugh would be a great fit for Irsay, I don't really want him or his offense. Although it would give me more confidence in Luck being healthy.

Irsay loves the horseshoe...and I could see him trying some cockamamie scheme to bring Harbaugh in as HC and Manning as Team President. Whether or not he could pull it off is a different matter. 

The secrecy lends me to believe that he’s not just assessing HC prospects, but looking at the staffs that could be assembled as well. Kris Richard for example, is a guy who might have been interviewed for a HC role but might really be a potential DC for Toub or Wilks. 

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Very true. 

Pagano didn't seem like a bad hire back at that time. Although he fell into the same situation that some of the current candidates are in: 1 year of experience in being a coordinator, rising up the ranks at a fast pace. 

But I understand, this means nothing, and should not be the end all be all way of judging how a future head coach will perform. These new comers need to be given a chance at some point to prove themselves, otherwise we are stuck with the same names over and over again... I guess I'm just thinking about this weirdly, the thought of grooming coaches over years, instead of a fast high rise. 

Maybe my depression is hindering my vision and judgement today. FWIW, I do actually like Steve Wilks. I just don't know enough about him yet...

There’s an entire article on why hiring retreads can be a mistake. That’s why you see names like Wilks, Vrabel, and Patricia now in the mix. However I ageee that there’s risk to hiring 1 year guys like Nagy and potentially Vrabel and Wilks. It’s about evaluating the coaches, not necessarily the title though. That’s why I’d prefer Toub or Wilks over McDaniels. People just assume that a lot of retreads have learned or improved since being a HC but it’s all just assumption.

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Would you say that Wilks is the better option over Toub? 

They’re like 1A and 1B for me, but if I had to pick, then yes. The main reason being that Wilks has a distinctive defensive  philosophy, whereas we don’t really know with Toub. But they’re both noted as being no nonsense guys and I’m impressed with the way both of them speak and either seems like they could more than handle an NFL lockeroom. I feel like Toub would be better at situational football though being a STs guy. For example, the blunder Pagano made with the FG against Buffalo in the snow, probably wouldn’t have happened under Toub’s watch. I like them both though as I think they’re both more in line with what Ballard is looking for.

18 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It is not only because of his wife, but there are 2 other issues.  First is Alabama pays Saban 11 million per year. He’s not taking Less to go back to the NFL, and to think folks went ballistic over Gruden getting10 million per...

Next is Saban has been quoted as saying he might still be coaching in the NFL if he had gotten Drew Brees.  Unless it is a sure bet Luck will be healthy, he’s not even thinking of chatting to his wife.  And Ballard has no interest in a guy waiting for Luck medical reports before deciding.

so much speculation with little substance out there.

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They’re like 1A and 1B for me, but if I had to pick, then yes. The main reason being that Wilks has a distinctive defensive  philosophy, whereas we don’t really know with Toub. But they’re both noted as being no nonsense guys and I’m impressed with the way both of them speak and either seems like they could more than handle an NFL lockeroom. I feel like Toub would be better at situational football though being a STs guy. For example, the blunder Pagano made with the FG against Buffalo in the snow, probably wouldn’t have happened under Toub’s watch. I like them both though as I think they’re both more in line with what Ballard is looking for.

Thanks for your insight Def. This has helped. 

If the dots are being connected properly and Richard comes here as the DC, then I'm not too confident Mcdaniels would be the HC selection.  For the record I'm not against Mcdaniels, but NE Guys usually go with the 3-4.  I'm just speculating and could definitely be wrong.

17 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Between Friday and today, I've seen hoodie to NYG, Saban could potentially leave for NYG, & all signs are pointing to Matt Patricia getting the NYG HC job.

Yeah, that is sort of the run down that I saw as well, & it is just a bit weird in the time capsule that exists during this time of the year when some teams (in this instance the Pats) are still involved with a playoff run. Since each of NE's coordinators is linked with a HC position, the posibility of BB actually leaving NE would affect how the dominoes all fall, assuming that either Patricia or McDaniels would take things over in NE. May be a sit & wait game in the off/wild chance any of that transpires...

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's interesting discussion on the Ringer by Michael Lombardi. Go to 31:00 for Nagy to Chicago discussion. At 35:30 he says the Colts had a secret interview yesterday with another coach! He doesn't say who it was, but he says the Colts were NOT on the Nagy train. 

That was good Thanks for posting!

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

If the dots are being connected properly and Richard comes here as the DC, then I'm not too confident Mcdaniels would be the HC selection.  For the record I'm not against Mcdaniels, but NE Guys usually go with the 3-4.  I'm just speculating and could definitely be wrong.

I don't know if that even matters, McDaniels would likely be in control of the offense, with control of the D going entirely to the defensive coordinator. In that scenario, I think McDaniels would be more focused on results than scheme.

58 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yeah, cause they'll get 50% and more 

I’ve been trying to move to Myrtle Beach, or California for 5 years now (big difference, I know) and the reason I haven’t is that I’ve seen hundreds of horror movies, and Freddy, Jason, Ghostface, Michael Myers, etc...don’t scare me nearly as much as the Irish firecracker of a woman I married. 

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't know if that even matters, McDaniels would likely be in control of the offense, with control of the D going entirely to the defensive coordinator. In that scenario, I think McDaniels would be more focused on results than scheme.

Probably right, but I can't see him preferring a seattle based coordinator for his defense.  NE guys usually select a 3-4.   He could be outside the box though.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Not only that, New England switches back and forth between alignments more than anyone else, so I don't think they're as strict on either approach as they were when Crennel or Mangini were running the defense. 

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not only that, New England switches back and forth between alignments more than anyone else, so I don't think they're as strict on either approach as they were when Crennel or Mangini were running the defense. 

they are the epitome of hybrid defense.

37 minutes ago, krunk said:

Richard to me says Wilks. 

18 minutes ago, corgi said:

I’ve been trying to move to Myrtle Beach, or California for 5 years now (big difference, I know) and the reason I haven’t is that I’ve seen hundreds of horror movies, and Freddy, Jason, Ghostface, Michael Myers, etc...don’t scare me nearly as much as the Irish firecracker of a woman I married. 

Or for me, a current menopause Colombian women with a unpredictable  mood swings.

30 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's how I would prefer it. Have McDaniels be the HC and OC...and have someone else be the coach of the defense.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The secret interview could've also been a college coach, like David Shaw.  Logic for keeping it secret would be not to scare recruits in case the guy (in this case Shaw) didn't take the job.

Otherwise, I think the interview was "secret" because word just happened not to leak. Or Ballard put it together at the last minute or something.

I hope not. As a Stanford fan, I want Shaw there for 20+ more years. 

I think the Colts will go with an offensive coach, if not Toub. But I don't get why they have not interviewed Shurmur. He would be great for Luck. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, in NYC, reports today are that Matt Patricia is the front-runner. Over the weekend, it was Wilks. Before that, it was McDaniels. No one knows.

What is so good about Matt Patricia?

2 minutes ago, corgi said:

I don’t think they’d keep an interview with a Toub secret.

I have to agree with you on that.  Makes no sense at all.  I am in the camp thinking it was a college coach.  If it gets out it could kill their recruiting efforts if they don't get the job.  I'm thinking Peterson or Shaw.  Wildcard; Lovie Smith.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yep, in NYC, reports today are that Matt Patricia is the front-runner. Over the weekend, it was Wilks. Before that, it was McDaniels. No one knows.

What is so good about Matt Patricia?

Same thing about McDaniels. He’s stood on the sideline by B.B. holding a clipboard and get credited as being the mastermind of part of New England’s greatness.