Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Morrison

rpeay

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts haven't covered backs out of the backfield for years or tight ends down the seem for that matter. Remember sb 44 the Saints ran all them little pass plays to Bush out of the backfield all game and the Colts stayed in their soft zone and let it happen. Why come down on Morrison now???? Simply put, we need a pass rusher. It doesn't matter who is in your secondary if you can't get to the passer. And how many 1st round draft picks have been spent on Dlinemen and pass rushers in the past 25 years? Lets see if I can remember. Trev Alberts, Ellis Johnson, Dwight Freeney, Jerry Hughes, Bjeorn Weorner. Maybe I missed someone. But is it any wonder the Colts NEVER play pass defense, regardless of who the players, coaches, or gm are???? Here's another interesting note. Bill Polian took part in an alltime draft for SI this past August, his first 7 picks were 4 dlineman and 3 linebackers(because he said defense wins championships and you start with the front seven) So in 14 drafts with the Colts how many "front 7" guys did he draft in the first round???? THREE-Freeney, Morris, and Hughes. Most people on here are all exited about Ballard, but he did the same thing as Polian and Grigson- he drafted defensive backs (Hooker and Wilson) But Hooker and Wilson will be solid players if we get a pass rush.And Hooker recovers from his knee injury)

19 hours ago, Two_pound said:

The Colts haven't covered backs out of the backfield for years or tight ends down the seem for that matter. Remember sb 44 the Saints ran all them little pass plays to Bush out of the backfield all game and the Colts stayed in their soft zone and let it happen. Why come down on Morrison now???? Simply put, we need a pass rusher. It doesn't matter who is in your secondary if you can't get to the passer. And how many 1st round draft picks have been spent on Dlinemen and pass rushers in the past 25 years? Lets see if I can remember. Trev Alberts, Ellis Johnson, Dwight Freeney, Jerry Hughes, Bjeorn Weorner. Maybe I missed someone. But is it any wonder the Colts NEVER play pass defense, regardless of who the players, coaches, or gm are???? Here's another interesting note. Bill Polian took part in an alltime draft for SI this past August, his first 7 picks were 4 dlineman and 3 linebackers(because he said defense wins championships and you start with the front seven) So in 14 drafts with the Colts how many "front 7" guys did he draft in the first round???? THREE-Freeney, Morris, and Hughes. Most people on here are all exited about Ballard, but he did the same thing as Polian and Grigson- he drafted defensive backs (Hooker and Wilson) But Hooker and Wilson will be solid players if we get a pass rush.And Hooker recovers from his knee injury)

Polian since retirement has simply written and said things to reshape his legacy. All of a sudden he doesnt build teams skill positions first. Plus, if i recall correctly he claimed he had a 1st round grade on TB12 and passed on him because he had just drafted Manning. As a Colt GM he had our trenches filled with "diamonds in the rough" besides Glenn and Freeney... On both sides....Under Polian it was not as great as many would like to think. The difference was and still always will be the greatness of 18.

20 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Bill Polian had the luxury of finding players in later rounds that did pretty well.  He also had Manning to help mold a prolific offense each year.  That being said, he did have a defense in the top 10 a few times with the players he drafted. We have had bad luck for quit some time with key players being injured early.  Mike Doss, Bob Sanders, Edge, etc... and if you keep some guys healthy for the term of there career you have a lot of differences.  

Ballard stepped into a franchise that had so many holes that taking a safety and CB with the first two picks was not that bad.  Hooker was a potential top 5 draft guy and we also had little to nothing at this position.  Outside of Vontae at CB, you had nothing as well.  Melvin was definitely not proving and everyone else was bad.  These were key areas that needed filled.  Plus, in FA he had just signed Simon, Sheard, and Mingo as potential stop gaps for the time being.  I would not say that Ballard has shown any similarities to Grigson or Polian.

1 hour ago, life long said:

Polian since retirement has simply written and said things to reshape his legacy. All of a sudden he doesnt build teams skill positions first. Plus, if i recall correctly he claimed he had a 1st round grade on TB12 and passed on him because he had just drafted Manning. As a Colt GM he had our trenches filled with "diamonds in the rough" besides Glenn and Freeney... On both sides....Under Polian it was not as great as many would like to think. The difference was and still always will be the greatness of 18.

You are correct!  Polian now talks like a completely different guy.  As a GM he did the opposite of what he says now.  I love Polian but hearing him talk sometimes irks me because he sounds like a hypocrite.  

I will say though under Polian it was better than you make it sound.  Minus key injuries to some top draft picks we had a good D for some years.  If Edge never tore his knee up, our offense was untouchable.  Bob Sanders and Mike Doss would have been a good duo, but injuries.  As a GM you cannot predict any injuries that might happen.

I agree with you guys that Polian is talking alot different now than his track record shows as GM as the Colts. And that is puzzling. But it is what it is. I'm on board with the Hooker and Wilson picks because if we can find a pass rush this secondary(Hooker, Geathers, Wilson, Melvin, Harriston, Moore will be solid, need some more depth ofcourse.

We need two new starting ILBs.  Along with one G, those three positions are probably the highest priority this offseason.

Walker might be able to fill one of those needs by further development.  Its a gamble to wait and see if he can do it.  I would take that gamble, so I'd only draft or sign one starter this offseason. 

The two guys on IR are decent backups, but Morrison and Bostic need to go.

On 12/28/2017 at 12:51 PM, Two_pound said:

And in Buffalo he drafted Bruce Smith, had Cornelius Bennett, and other pro bowlers at ILB and the secondary.  Polian has always said that defense wins championships.  I think he devalues the secondary relative to the front 7 believing coverages are schemed and aided by a pass rush.

The problem was Dungy.  Dungy had is own brand of defense with which Polian was forced to acquire players for....not really dictate his own philosophy.  Dungy's defense never required stud players, except the "Under" Tackle, WILL and a Safety.  A good UT was never available for drafting during the entire Polian tenure (because the good ones go higher than draft picks in the 20's).  The defense didn't shine until Polian acquired Booger McFarland and drafted Bob Sanders.  The WILL was always a light LB and they could be acquired without spending a 1st.

The problem with the defense was Dungy's brand not fitting Polian's philosophy.  And having the GOAT as QB, you manage the roster to your strengths and don't have the freedom to pursue your philosophy in a vacuum. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

And in Buffalo he drafted Bruce Smith, had Cornelius Bennett, and other pro bowlers at ILB and the secondary.  Polian has always said that defense wins championships.  I think he devalues the secondary relative to the front 7 believing coverages are schemed and aided by a pass rush.

The problem was Dungy.  Dungy had is own brand of defense with which Polian was forced to acquire players for....not really dictate his own philosophy.  Dungy's defense never required stud players, except the "Under" Tackle, WILL and a Safety.  A good UT was never available for drafting during the entire Polian tenure (because the good ones go higher than draft picks in the 20's).  The defense didn't shine until Polian acquired Booger McFarland and drafted Bob Sanders.  The WILL was always a light LB and they could be acquired without spending a 1st.

The problem with the defense was Dungy's brand not fitting Polian's philosophy.  And having the GOAT as QB, you manage the roster to your strengths and don't have the freedom to pursue your philosophy in a vacuum. 

I think this is well said. Polian had some real stinker draft picks when trying to find players to fit the Dungy D. He also made some terrific picks as well, especially on offense.  But the last few years were full of swings and misses. For whatever reason, Polian seemed to lose his mojo in player evaluation, and that really cost the Colts. Everyone runs out of gas eventually; no one should forget that Polian was running on empty before being let go. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2017 at 12:44 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I kind of like this idea, it’d be an instant upgrade at both spots assuming Simon could make that transition. Then Morrison could just be a depth guy, which is fine by me.

agree ...Simon is a good one....too bad he got hurt, but with as bad as this team was this year, it didn't matter.  I like Chubb from NC State and Tremaine Edmunds from Va Tech.  He is a 6'5 tackling machine with speed, power and smarts.....

On 12/24/2017 at 11:09 AM, oldunclemark said:

You also have to stop the run some on 1st and 2nd down. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We're clearly not watching the same player...I guess everybody looks bad on a losing team.

I'm pretty sure Morrison will be with us next year. We have other much more painful (OLB, DE, CB , CB, CB, OG, OT) and glaring needs

I would disagree and I don’t think he’ll be with us next year.  We will be switching to a 4-3 and the linebackers need to be able to cover which he is terrible at.  I respect tor opinion that you think he’s good but, you’re wrong he’s terrible and needs to go. 

Is it Easter already? Did we really just resurrect a month old thread to say that Morrison is terrible (something we all know). The dark times of the NFL offseason are about to be upon us....I think it’s about time for my yearly vacation from the Colts Forum.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:19 AM, krunk said:

I dont think Morrison will be here. I do think Walker can replace him. I saw enough from Walker last night to believe he can take that spot over with more experience and playing time. Walker can play either of those 2 ILB spots.

Agree with this. I had high hopes for Morrison this year but to me as a watched his  instincts are bad,  often taken bad angles, He also looked smaller and not as strong probably in an effort to lose some weight to cover people which he can't do, and surprisingly he's just manhandled sometimes !  I do think Walker has better instincts and with playing time could be better but not positive about that .  I will say Morrison did look a little bit better after Bostic got hurt I thought as the season went on Bostic actually played pretty good.  I do believe that Morrison will be back though and probably make the team 

On 12/24/2017 at 7:58 AM, rpeay said:

I thought Morrison was going to be a positive difference on defense when drafted, however after watching him play over the past  2 years, I have given up on him being nothing else but a special teams player and backup.  He is constantly out of position, misses basic coverage assignments (like picking up backs out of the backfield and TEs crossing), gets steam rollered regularly in addition to picking up stupid unsportsmanlike penalties that cost the team.......Its been since prior to Dungy arriving when the Defense has been very good.......

No 2005 was a very good defense. 

On 12/30/2017 at 9:51 AM, Hoose said:

I think this is well said. Polian had some real stinker draft picks when trying to find players to fit the Dungy D. He also made some terrific picks as well, especially on offense.  But the last few years were full of swings and misses. For whatever reason, Polian seemed to lose his mojo in player evaluation, and that really cost the Colts. Everyone runs out of gas eventually; no one should forget that Polian was running on empty before being let go. 

On 12/30/2017 at 7:15 PM, Two_pound said:

Yea, I have to agree with that also. His drafts the last 5 years he was here were not even above average(as much as I hate to say that because I am a fan of Polian). His last 5 drafts were head scratchers.

You guys do know that Polian's son, Chris took over as VP and GM of the Colts in 2000 and he was responsible for the 2009, 2010 and 2011 drafts?

Funny, when I did an evaluation of Morrison after the draft and stated I was not impressed with him and I didn't think he would do very well in the NFL, I was told by nearly everyone that I didn't know what I was talking about and I shouldn't base my evaluation from the Alabama game, etc.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, Two_pound said:

I agree with you guys that Polian is talking alot different now than his track record shows as GM as the Colts. And that is puzzling. But it is what it is. I'm on board with the Hooker and Wilson picks because if we can find a pass rush this secondary(Hooker, Geathers, Wilson, Melvin, Harriston, Moore will be solid, need some more depth ofcourse.

Polian has become what he hated the most. A NFL media person. Pretty ironic if you ask me.

Morrison is super slow, can't cover, and just ok against the run. Plus, he's always looking for that huge hit, and doesn't care if it's an opposing player or a team mate. He's a liability. 

Everyone seems to be forgetting about Edwin Jackson. Can't wait until he comes back. He is pretty decent in coverage and a good tackler. Health has been an issue for him, but hopefully he can stay on the field this year. 

On 1/29/2018 at 8:26 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Funny, when I did an evaluation of Morrison after the draft and stated I was not impressed with him and I didn't think he would do very well in the NFL, I was told by nearly everyone that I didn't know what I was talking about and I shouldn't base my evaluation from the Alabama game, etc.

Congratulations on calling that one correct.

1 minute ago, MacDee1975 said:

Not for predicting that a 4th rounder fails.

However, if you can provide proof that you predicted Dorsett would be underwhelming, then I think a cookie would be well deserved.

I hope you’re a good baker because you’re gonna have to pass out a lot of cookies. 

LOL at those thinking Morrison has a ligit shot at this roster, HE GONE!  Can’t cover, can’t shed blocks which is everything a MLB needs to do sorry.  Wasn’t able to stand out with the worst rated lb’s in the league, rating partially from his play.  XFL at best

Sometimes I find the lack of humility in peoples' posts to be amazing.

Doubt he's gone now 2 years into his rookie contract, especially one that only pays $750,000 a year with 2 cheap years remaining.

Also just turned 23, a year where many players are just entering their rookie years.

He's not Navarro Bowman in his prime. Still a long shot for a team's leading tackler to go to the CFL or minor leagues so early and soon.

Do you really want AM playing for the Colts?  CB will continue to bring in elite competition that will force these project type players off our roster.  I will eat all the Crowe in the World if AM makes this roster out of TC but no matter of the cheap salary just doesn’t pass the eye test for NFL talent.  

On 1/29/2018 at 6:26 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

I got the same reaction If you go back and look at Morrison's predraft write ups most sites had him as a late round pick at best some sites had him as a priority UDFA Grig's and Chuck acted like they pulled on over on everyone. He's can't run that's hard to overcome barking like a dog at a security guard doesn't make you a football player  

14 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I got the same reaction If you go back and look at Morrison's predraft write ups most sites had him as a late round pick at best some sites had him as a priority UDFA Grig's and Chuck acted like they pulled on over on everyone.  

They did that a lot, actually almost every time. Green was a steal too, remember? haha

Man , it is in hindsight such a relief that we have Ballard now. And he is not hyping players beyond their talent.

1 hour ago, KING. said:

I wouldn't mind Morrison as a backup. He plays with a lot of energy and heart, but it's time the Colts find themselves a guy who can do it all.

We need a guy who can help cover against the pass.

He can't run or change direction unless the play is coming right at him he's going to struggle to get there. We need do better