Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chester Rodgers

MarquisJ

Forgot to post this Sunday but wow definitely missed Chester Rodgers this year what a game he had! Better watching him than kamar aiken haha...Felt good seeing Donte get his but I still think we should move on after this season I also think we should go out and get a true #1 to pair with TY and Chester that would be a nightmare for teams

26 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Forgot to post this Sunday but wow definitely missed Chester Rodgers this year what a game he had! Better watching him than kamar aiken haha...Felt good seeing Donte get his but I still think we should move on after this season I also think we should go out and get a true #1 to pair with TY and Chester that would be a nightmare for teams

we need LB and OL help LONG before another WR.  

He had 6 receptions on 6 targets for 104 yards plus a TD and Brissett had a perfect passer rating when throwing his way.

Starting last year, we've added some very key pieces to making a playoff run. This year we added a lot more, but Chester Rodgers and Ryan Kelly are huge for this offense, even Haeg, who played at RT without allowing a pressure (2 times I think this year per PFF). 

More work to do, but I like a lot of the young guys on our team.

Was listening to Rick Venturi on JMV yesterday. He made an interesting point. He said don’t be so sure/fast to just kick Moncrief to the curb. He said the negligent usage of our receivers by our coaching staff makes it impossible to truly judge the abilities of our receivers... 

Case in point Moncrief’s stat line against Steelers.  1 catch. For 60 yards. On only 1 target. Catch occurred at the start of the 2nd quarter...  How can a man make a great double move like that (a Marvin Harrison special...) and never get another pass thrown his way for the rest of the game????  Unacceptable. 

He also made made a great point of this being a contract year and Crief’s numbers surely won’t get him a BIG contract offer. So we might be able to bring him back on a very cheap deal...  Couple that with an OC and offensive system and I think we’ll see better production out of our receivers. 

• I just don’t believe that Moncrief and our other receivers would keep having games like that, where they are “criminally” underused or misused, if we had a guy like McDaniels calling our plays...  Can’t wait to find out for sure next season because I’ve seen enough of Chud. Ironically, if it plays out like Venturi says and Crief is retained, then we’d have to thank Chud and his inconsistent gameplans for allowing us to keep him at a discount...  How’s that for glass half full???  :scratch:

45 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I wouldnt be against going out and grabbing one of the free agent WRs. There are a lot of WRs hitting free agency that id take over resigning Aiken, and a handful id rather have than resigning Moncrief. We probably need to replace those 2 anyways, might as well take advantage of a good FA class. 

Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

I wouldnt be against going out and grabbing one of the free agent WRs. There are a lot of WRs hitting free agency that id take over resigning Aiken, and a handful id rather have than resigning Moncrief. We probably need to replace those 2 anyways, might as well take advantage of a good FA class. 

I could deal with a FA WR, just dont want one drafted

12 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Maybe, but WR most certainly needs to be addressed.  As of right now, the only receivers worth a damn that are set to return are Hilton and Rogers.

yeah but its easier to find a WR than it is a quality OL these days. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

yeah but its easier to find a WR than it is a quality OL these days. 

I agree, but of course the right talent evaluation is needed. We don't need any more Dorsett's, Aiken's, or AJ's. If we don't resign Moncrief, and I'm 50/50 on that, we need a WR with size for the red zone, not another TY/Dorsett smurf. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

I could deal with a FA WR, just dont want one drafted

YEAh maybe I’m just imagining this but I feel like Ballard could go out there easily and get/sign proven a tier two receiver to a not so ridiculous deal that would be just fine. If anything with a new offense style Luck could actually make him look better thus being a bargain contract.

10 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

YEAh maybe I’m just imagining this but I feel like Ballard could go out there easily and get/sign proven a tier two receiver to a not so ridiculous deal that would be just fine. If anything with a new offense style Luck could actually make him look better thus being a bargain contract.

Other teams seem to be able to do it (Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Michael Crabtree, Robert Woods). Ballard should be no different. Grigson just sucked at most aspects of talent evaluation and roster construction.

Then again, there's Kamar Aiken. Let's just hope that's a first-year-as-GM-on-a-dumpster-fire-team type of move and an outlier going forward.

13 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Other teams seem to be able to do it (Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Michael Crabtree, Robert Woods). Ballard should be no different. Grigson just sucked at most aspects of talent evaluation and roster construction.

Then again, there's Kamar Aiken. Let's just hope that's a first-year-as-GM-on-a-dumpster-fire-team type of move and an outlier going forward.

Aiken was a low risk high reward signing. Which is why he is on a 1 year contract. And prove it or lose it deal. He won't be back and I won't fault a gm for kicking rocks like that. It's when you give players like him multi year deals that I start holding against a gm

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I fully expect him to make a run a big fast physical receiver like Alshon Jeffery you have to double down on to force a lot more 1 on 1 coverage on Hilton . Would really take some pressure of the o line and QB to have a big guy who wins contested balls and takes the blanket off Hilton . 

8 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

I agree but I don't think we should use a 1st rounder one.

3 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I agree, but of course the right talent evaluation is needed. We don't need any more Dorsett's, Aiken's, or AJ's. If we don't resign Moncrief, and I'm 50/50 on that, we need a WR with size for the red zone, not another TY/Dorsett smurf. 

Yes, I agree and I'll say this Ballard likes youth and so do I. No more bringing in the over the hill gang like an Andre Johnson and co, 

7 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Was listening to Rick Venturi on JMV yesterday. He made an interesting point. He said don’t be so sure/fast to just kick Moncrief to the curb. He said the negligent usage of our receivers by our coaching staff makes it impossible to truly judge the abilities of our receivers... 

Case in point Moncrief’s stat line against Steelers.  1 catch. For 60 yards. On only 1 target. Catch occurred at the start of the 2nd quarter...  How can a man make a great double move like that (a Marvin Harrison special...) and never get another pass thrown his way for the rest of the game????  Unacceptable. 

He also made made a great point of this being a contract year and Crief’s numbers surely won’t get him a BIG contract offer. So we might be able to bring him back on a very cheap deal...  Couple that with an OC and offensive system and I think we’ll see better production out of our receivers. 

• I just don’t believe that Moncrief and our other receivers would keep having games like that, where they are “criminally” underused or misused, if we had a guy like McDaniels calling our plays...  Can’t wait to find out for sure next season because I’ve seen enough of Chud. Ironically, if it plays out like Venturi says and Crief is retained, then we’d have to thank Chud and his inconsistent gameplans for allowing us to keep him at a discount...  How’s that for glass half full???  :scratch:

What makes you think he wants to come back?

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

ballard brought in a number of guys that have not done much

wilson, basham, banner and aiken.  if grigson was still here and had this same exact draft class people would be giving him heat over it

hooker is interesting, but he has to tackle better and stay healthy, those two things may not mesh together 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

It was a 1 year deal. 

I wouldn't tout that as a grigsonesk move. 

48 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

What makes you think he wants to come back?

If we bring Chud back, I’d bet money he won’t want to come back. And could you blame him???  I just don’t expect him to get some big offer. But if used properly he would be much more effective and I’m sure it’s some teams that will think so.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

he will probably go to the highest bidder

it will be interesting to see what others want to offer him 

I think he is talented. And I think we are using him wrong. 

If he thinks he can be used to his full potential elsewhere, and then draw attention for a big contract; well then that is what he will do.

The only way I see him even being interested in returning is if our OC or entire coaching staff is replaced. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

If we bring Chud back, I’d bet money he won’t want to come back. And could you blame him???  I just don’t expect him to get some big offer. But of used properly he would be much more effective and I’m sure it’s some teams that will think so.

Exactly what I was thinking.

9 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

No need to let Moncrief walk. I've been on the fence about him for awhile now, but in reality, the upside is definitely there, and it's easy to forget that he's only 24. Not re-signing him just creates another need, so I say bring him back, and load his contract with incentives.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No need to let Moncrief walk. I've been on the fence about him for awhile now, but in reality, the upside is definitely there, and it's easy to forget that he's only 24. Not re-signing him just creates another need, so I say bring him back, and load his contract with incentives.

he would be a good candidate for an incentive contract

5 TDs for a nice bonus and maybe like 8 or 10 for a big one.  it just depends what other teams want to offer him 

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Without doubt a pass rusher.  My lord, our are OKAY, but always about 3 inches from making the sac before the ball leaves the QB's hand, even then it is only occassionaly

Pass rusher, Mike Backer, OL, maybe another running back and after that..... just maybe we can look at receivers.

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he would be a good candidate for an incentive contract

5 TDs for a nice bonus and maybe like 8 or 10 for a big one.  it just depends what other teams want to offer him 

Although I don't want to re-sign Crief, I could easily see a team pay him based on his measurables and over pay for him.

We see terrible high price signings every year. I could see that with him. The only team I could see low balling him would be us.

21 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

agree but you can get wrs in FA ya know?? maybe you thought i was talking about the draft?

Yeah but let's look at the list of potential FA WRs who's contracts expire at season end. Donte Moncrief is ranked 9th in yards so far this season of those FA WRs..... which includes Larry Fitzgerald and Sammy Watkins and Devonte Adams.... Highly doubt we pick anyone those up. So who then do we get that's better?

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah but let's look at the list of potential FA WRs who's contracts expire at season end. Donte Moncrief is ranked 9th in yards so far this season of those FA WRs..... which includes Larry Fitzgerald and Sammy Watkins and Devonte Adams.... Highly doubt we pick anyone those up. So who then do we get that's better?

possibly alshon he’s pretty good lol

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It all comes down to money. If we get a new OC id be fine sticking with Moncrief for the right price. If Moncrief wants something outlandish for what he does for us there are lots of options. Either way, I'd kick the tires on Alshon Jeffery, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Jordan Matthews, Willie Snead, Paul Richardson, Davante Adams and maybe even Sammy Watkins / Terrelle Pryor. Ballard could see higher potential in any of these guys. Might as well see what they want, even if its just to use as leverage to bring Moncriefs price down a bit at the end of the day. I think all of these good WRs hitting the market may help us get a real bargain with someone. 

I also would hope we are looking at replacing Aiken with a young option with upside. That could be an UDFA rookie Ballard really likes, or it could be a player like Albert Wilson, Taylor Gabriel, Jeff Janis, John/Jaron Brown. 

Its not really about who has the best stats on their current team. We will be running a different playbook/ gameplan than the one they are with right now (Presumably anyways). At this point we just kind of have to trust and hope that Ballard scouts his FA talent well and gets the guy(s) that best fit our system, whether we change our system or not (I seriously hope we do). 

39 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

It all comes down to money. If we get a new OC id be fine sticking with Moncrief for the right price. If Moncrief wants something outlandish for what he does for us there are lots of options. Either way, I'd kick the tires on Alshon Jeffery, Marqise Lee, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Jordan Matthews, Willie Snead, Paul Richardson, Davante Adams and maybe even Sammy Watkins / Terrelle Pryor. Ballard could see higher potential in any of these guys. Might as well see what they want, even if its just to use as leverage to bring Moncriefs price down a bit at the end of the day. I think all of these good WRs hitting the market may help us get a real bargain with someone. 

I also would hope we are looking at replacing Aiken with a young option with upside. That could be an UDFA rookie Ballard really likes, or it could be a player like Albert Wilson, Taylor Gabriel, Jeff Janis, John/Jaron Brown. 

Its not really about who has the best stats on their current team. We will be running a different playbook/ gameplan than the one they are with right now (Presumably anyways). At this point we just kind of have to trust and hope that Ballard scouts his FA talent well and gets the guy(s) that best fit our system, whether we change our system or not (I seriously hope we do). 

Give me Davante Adams & Landry off of that list.  Even over Jeffery.  I think Adams “IS” what we hoped Moncrief was gonna be. 

14 hours ago, aaron11 said:

ballard brought in a number of guys that have not done much

wilson, basham, banner and aiken.  if grigson was still here and had this same exact draft class people would be giving him heat over it

hooker is interesting, but he has to tackle better and stay healthy, those two things may not mesh together 

Ballard brought in 26 players, and you try to bring him down by mentioning these guys?  Wilson might look bad but Ballard brought in a guy that has been playing great over him, Desir...1 for Ballard.  Basham is a guy that you hope progresses, and no one expected a por bowler his rookie year, I guess you did.  Sheard and Simon look pretty good.  Banner...I will give you that, bad pick all around in my eyes.  Aiken was basically no risk and added depth.  He had a good year with the Ravens so you take a shot with him.  Now let's talk about the multiple other guys he brought in doing just fine...

If Grigson would have done this...he did it, but Luck covered him up and after he did it multiple times we are in our current predicament.  

14 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

If we bring Chud back, I’d bet money he won’t want to come back. And could you blame him???  I just don’t expect him to get some big offer. But if used properly he would be much more effective and I’m sure it’s some teams that will think so.

I would disagree.  If we fix the offensive line then Chud's offense becomes more capable and Moncreif or any WR is loving it.  I am not a fan of the thought that Chud would be here next year, but a solid line leads to better everything for the offensive side of the ball.  This is with JB or Luck (Luck would be the better option obviously).