Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB of the week per PFF: Rashan Melvin

HungarianColtsFan

23 minutes ago, bigt said:

Do you know which o lineman graded our best last week?

It was Haeg. I'm glad he's back at RT that's probably where he stays.  I never thought he was a starting G. We get Kelly back the OL may just round into shape. 

George graded out very well at ILB. I hope he continues to see the field. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-arizona-cardinals-16-indianapolis-colts-13

50 minutes ago, akcolt said:

It was Haeg. I'm glad he's back at RT that's probably where he stays.  I never thought he was a starting G. We get Kelly back the OL may just round into shape. 

George graded out very well at ILB. I hope he continues to see the field. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-arizona-cardinals-16-indianapolis-colts-13

Haag is probably the number one back up for Good and the guard spots when everyone is healthy. 

4 minutes ago, Xander said:

PFF is legit, but it's just one tool. Doesn't always tell the whole story.  

Trust your eyes. He didn't play that well.

Not true.  He had a really good game.  

Now if you’re talking about the Rams game....where’s that little turd emoticon?

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Haag is probably the number one back up for Good and the guard spots when everyone is healthy. 

He was a pretty good T in college. He's bounced all over our OL since we drafted him.  He has the tools to settle in and make RT his home. It would not surprise me if he does just that. Howard Mudd thought pretty highly of him at RT. Either way both guys offer the G/T flexibility. That is a useful skill and gives them both a future with us in some capacity. They'd make a strong bench if Clark gets it figured out. 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It may be Quincy,   maybe not..  that's what the coaches are there to figure out

The coach that will be fired after seasons end? Riiight

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not true.  He had a really good game.  

Now if you’re talking about the Rams game....where’s that little turd emoticon?

He surrendered a catch every time he was targeted. Wouldn't start on a team with a decent defense. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing you studied the all 22 in great  detail?

I'm guessing you're seeking the thrill of an arguement 

3 minutes ago, Xander said:

The coach that will be fired after seasons end? Riiight

He surrendered a catch every time he was targeted. Wouldn't start on a team with a decent defense. 

I'm guessing you're seeking the thrill of an arguement 

No,   I'm banking on those whose jobs depend on it to make the correct call.   Sell me on Wilson being better than melvin last  week

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No,   I'm banking on those whose jobs depend on it to make the correct call.   Sell me on Wilson being better than melvin last  week

Yeah they usually get it right. 

And  I came here to say I'd rather start Quincy. Because I believe Quincy is a more talented CB with loads more potential. That's my opinion, I'm not arguing it. Bank on that. 

29 minutes ago, Xander said:

Dude, you just made me waste a good 15 minutes when I knew you were full of...er, wrong to begin with.

I just rewatched every Card play on O. Palmer completed 3 passes on Melvin.  He wasn't targeted nearly as much as you think, but when they did he was spot on. They went after Wilson mostly.  

Admittedly, he gave up a grievous first down on 3rd and 20, but he pretty much played a great game.

If you don't believe me, watch the game again and tell me where I'm wrong.  PFF got this one right.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Dude, you just made me waste a good 15 minutes when I knew you were full of...er, wrong to begin with.

I just rewatched every Card play on O. Palmer completed 3 passes on Melvin.  He wasn't targeted nearly as much as you think, but when they did he was spot on. They went after Wilson mostly.  

Admittedly, he gave up a grievous first down on 3rd and 20, but he pretty much played a great game.

If you don't believe me, watch the game again and tell me where I'm wrong.  PFF got this one right.

No moore gave up that big play on 3rd down he looked totally lost

2 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

No moore gave up that big play on 3rd down he looked totally lost

Spot on!!!

Rick Venturi was on the Dan Dakich show stating that don't put someone like Moore who has not been there and done that on a 3rd and 20, put someone like T.J.Green or Mathias Farley who at least had a better shot of playing it right and getting the job done. That wasn't good coaching right there, according to Rick Venturi.

Melvin played a good game. I haven't done All 22 so I can only judge him on the plays where the ball came his way, and for the most part, he was sound. He got beat by Fitzgerald on the fade route on 4th and goal, the ball placement wasn't great so it was incomplete. He got beat a couple other times, also. But he was tough on a lot of plays. I think he played the best game he's played since he's been here, for sure, which is a good thing for him and for us.

I definitely don't think he should be ahead of any of the young guys at corner, and I'm not going to get too excited over one good game, but he deserves credit for sure. If he plays anywhere near as good the rest of the season, it will be a big win for us.

15 hours ago, Xander said:

Yeah they usually get it right. 

And  I came here to say I'd rather start Quincy. Because I believe Quincy is a more talented CB with loads more potential. That's my opinion, I'm not arguing it. Bank on that. 

And if that had been what you'd said in your first post in this thread then most of the ensuing replies never happen

Melvin did play well.  But, he was helped by playing against a team that has no real speed at WR and a QB whom is a shell of his former self.  I'm not taking anything away from Melvin it's not his fault that the opponent played to his strengths and did not have the personnel to exploit his weaknesses.  

As far as PFF, the DB grades are pretty accurate because they primarily look at; was the ball thrown to his guy, was it complete or incomplete.  They miss things like if the safety was supposed to have inside coverage but was late gettign there, they count that against the CB a lot of times.

Their oline grades are trash IMO, because they have no idea of the blocking scheme or adjustments that are talked about.  For example (and this happens a lot), let's say when a DE lines up in a certain way the team has determined that he stunts to the inside 73% of the time, so they adjust and tell the guard and tackle to double team him.  So they get lined up and the DE is lined up that certain way, so the tackle attacks the  outside shoulder so the guard can attack the inside shoulder.  But the guard doesn't attack the inside shoulder, instead he releases and gets the LB or the NT or whomever. The result is the DE has an easy pass to tackle the RB in the backfield or sack the QB.  PFF grades that negatively against the tackle and a positive grade for the guard, when in fact the tackle did exactly what he was supposed to do and the guard did not.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

Melvin played a good game. I haven't done All 22 so I can only judge him on the plays where the ball came his way, and for the most part, he was sound. He got beat by Fitzgerald on the fade route on 4th and goal, the ball placement wasn't great so it was incomplete. He got beat a couple other times, also. But he was tough on a lot of plays. I think he played the best game he's played since he's been here, for sure, which is a good thing for him and for us.

I definitely don't think he should be ahead of any of the young guys at corner, and I'm not going to get too excited over one good game, but he deserves credit for sure. If he plays anywhere near as good the rest of the season, it will be a big win for us.

This ^ is what I'm saying. I would rather play our young corners with more potential over Melvin. Idon't like melvin.  So everyone stop quoting me trying to argue. 

21 minutes ago, J@son said:

And if that had been what you'd said in your first post in this thread then most of the ensuing replies never happen

You're such an annoying little *. 

My first post was my opinion. I don't need to explain myself to you #. Isn't it obvious that's the reason anyway? Like what other reason would there even be? Dunce. 

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Melvin did play well.  But, he was helped by playing against a team that has no real speed at WR and a QB whom is a shell of his former self.  I'm not taking anything away from Melvin it's not his fault that the opponent played to his strengths and did not have the personnel to exploit his weaknesses.  

As far as PFF, the DB grades are pretty accurate because they primarily look at; was the ball thrown to his guy, was it complete or incomplete.  They miss things like if the safety was supposed to have inside coverage but was late gettign there, they count that against the CB a lot of times.

Their oline grades are trash IMO, because they have no idea of the blocking scheme or adjustments that are talked about.  For example (and this happens a lot), let's say when a DE lines up in a certain way the team has determined that he stunts to the inside 73% of the time, so they adjust and tell the guard and tackle to double team him.  So they get lined up and the DE is lined up that certain way, so the tackle attacks the  outside shoulder so the guard can attack the inside shoulder.  But the guard doesn't attack the inside shoulder, instead he releases and gets the LB or the NT or whomever. The result is the DE has an easy pass to tackle the RB in the backfield or sack the QB.  PFF grades that negatively against the tackle and a positive grade for the guard, when in fact the tackle did exactly what he was supposed to do and the guard did not.

I dont know.  John Brown and JJ Nelson are pretty fast.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

Are they?  They didn't look like it in the game.  And it wasn't John Brown playing in the game (he was out-injured) it was Jaron Brown.  He has good track speed but it doesn't translate well to the field.

I've seen Melvin keep up with some guys that had Wheels on them like Will Fuller and some others.   I don't think Melvin is all that slow.   But yeah JJ Nelson is supposed to be pretty fast.    Didn't know John Brown was out.