Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TJ Green at CB

GusBus24

48 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda......the answers to all of life's complexities.

Collins stunk in year 1, then turned it around.  I am believing TJ can do it too. There was no coverup on what we were getting when he was picked.  Many sites mentioned his inexperience and rawness at the position in college.  But had IE:

Pros-

"Freak athlete with a highly impressive combination of height, weight, and speed. Shows fluid footwork in his pedal and has the range to quickly close the gap over the top. Reacts quickly to plays in front of him, putting himself in position to make an aggressive play downhill. Physically-imposing defender at the POA who quickly gets rid of blocks and is able to be a force in blitz packages. Patient and effective in man coverage."

Cons-

"As raw as a steak in a butcher shop. He is still developing his instincts and recognition skills, which will undoubtedly require some time to watch and learn before receiving early playing time."

Injuries to other Colts prevented this.

"Undisciplined with his eyes and can easily be fooled by quarterbacks. Takes poor pursuit angles when coming downhill, leading to too many missed tackles as a result. In addition, he struggles to wrap up in the open field after breaking down, which will surely bring up concerns about the potential of him being a liability in run support if thrown into the fire early in his career."

Nostrodamus!! But once again, there wasn't any question what he was in the draft-

"By picking TJ Green, you are taking the risk of banking on what he could become, not what he can do for your team right now. In my opinion, he needs a redshirt year to sit and learn the nuances of the safety position before being able to give quality production on the defensive side of the ball. However, I have a massive intrigue with him as a potential press cornerback. Do not be surprised if teams like Seattle, Atlanta, and Kansas City have him as a cornerback on their board because of the height/weight/speed factor that he provides in addition to his length and physicality on the outside. There has been a growing buzz around Green lately as that pet project kind of defensive back, and I could easily see him having his name in consideration for a Day 2  pick with the upside he brings to the table as either a free safety or cornerback, but his tape shows a player that needs a ton of time and development before receiving meaningful reps."

Folks wanting him to produce in his rookie year set themselves up to be disappointed. Injuries forced playing him, but be assured it wasn't planned by the team.  I expect him to make large advances this year, and truly shine in 2018. I expected little of the guy last year, and was actually saddened to a small amount he was forced into performing before he was ready. And was hoping we could still find him available in round 3 or even 4 instead of round 2.  But...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Landon had great college film at S though. He also had the 7th most defensive stops for a S his rookie year. He atleast showed some flashes. 

Landon had college film that showed he couldn't cover. Then he came to the league and couldn't cover, which is primarily why he was so poorly rated in his rookie year.

They used him differently in 2016, rather than exposing him to as much coverage, they played him like a hybrid linebacker (Deone Bucanon, Clayton Geathers, etc.) All of a sudden he's an All Pro. Sure he got better, but he also played almost a completely different position, which is the primary reason he took off. If they kept him in a traditional safety role, he wouldn't have been as good.

The lesson is simpler than that, though, and it's that second year players can and sometimes do get better, sometimes drastically so. People acting like Green looked like he can't play football at all in 2016 are exaggerating. He was an inconsistent tackler, which was strictly related to technique, not ability. And he showed little awareness of where the ball was when it was in the air, getting completely lost at times. I don't think he'll completely erase the awareness/ball skills concerns any time soon, but he can get noticeably better at that, and be a more technically sound tackler. No reason to give up on any hope for him.

There's also the fact that he was rushed into a starting role when he clearly wasn't ready, which probably stunted his learning and growth, and exposed his flaws to an even greater degree.

Can he play corner? I doubt it. I don't understand the experiment, beyond getting him more reps in coverage to develop his ability. I don't want to see him at corner for any meaningful reps. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think he has the ability or the skill set, not for what Pagano asks corners to do in our defense. He could play Seattle's Cover 3, maybe.

To me as a non-expert this looks like a bad idea. I mean, the guy is a converted wide receiver drafted based on mostly physical traits and potential, a little clueless last year at safety, then makes some progress towards this year, and now you ask him to play corner instead of continuing to develop him as a safety. Corner means mainly pass coverage, exactly his deficiency last year and probably still this year.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Landon had college film that showed he couldn't cover. Then he came to the league and couldn't cover, which is primarily why he was so poorly rated in his rookie year.

They used him differently in 2016, rather than exposing him to as much coverage, they played him like a hybrid linebacker (Deone Bucanon, Clayton Geathers, etc.) All of a sudden he's an All Pro. Sure he got better, but he also played almost a completely different position, which is the primary reason he took off. If they kept him in a traditional safety role, he wouldn't have been as good.

The lesson is simpler than that, though, and it's that second year players can and sometimes do get better, sometimes drastically so. People acting like Green looked like he can't play football at all in 2016 are exaggerating. He was an inconsistent tackler, which was strictly related to technique, not ability. And he showed little awareness of where the ball was when it was in the air, getting completely lost at times. I don't think he'll completely erase the awareness/ball skills concerns any time soon, but he can get noticeably better at that, and be a more technically sound tackler. No reason to give up on any hope for him.

There's also the fact that he was rushed into a starting role when he clearly wasn't ready, which probably stunted his learning and growth, and exposed his flaws to an even greater degree.

Can he play corner? I doubt it. I don't understand the experiment, beyond getting him more reps in coverage to develop his ability. I don't want to see him at corner for any meaningful reps. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think he has the ability or the skill set, not for what Pagano asks corners to do in our defense. He could play Seattle's Cover 3, maybe.

He still had good college film though. And he was still a good run stopper his rookie year. His and Greens situations are just different. 

And he might play LB sometimes but he is primarily a SS. 

Im not saying he can't improve, because obviously he can. But to expect him to just because Collins did is silly IMO. And him starting to take reps at CB says to me that his progress as a safety hasn't been so great. Jmo. 

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He still had good college film though. And he was still a good run stopper his rookie year. His and Greens situations are just different. 

And he might play LB sometimes but he is primarily a SS. 

Im not saying he can't improve, because obviously he can. But to expect him to just because Collins did is silly IMO. And him starting to take reps at CB says to me that his progress as a safety hasn't been so great. Jmo. 

I don't think anyone expects Green to improve just because Collins did. Again, the point is simple -- sometimes young players get better in Year 2. It's not at all uncommon. So let's not write anyone off just because they struggled as a rookie.

As for Green playing corner, I don't think it says anything about his development at safety. I think it says the safety group is healthier than the corner group, and since they wanted to get Green as many reps as possible, especially in coverage, they decided to give him some work at corner. 

I think it might be easier to learn to corner in our system than safety, for a guy like Green, anyway. There is less space to work with.

That being said, I'm not sure Green is a fit there. He struggles in coverage in all scenarios. He is still very young, so it's not like he can't progress with all of his physical tools... I just think they need to work him as a SS and hope it clicks for him.

Either way, I hope the kid figures it out because he has traits that can't be taught. 

If Green can either start or get meaningful reps at SS AND be #4 or 5 CB then why not try to get him reps at CB. 

I don't think Pagano expects him to be an all pro at CB, but if he can be better than Mitchel and Melvin this could be a good move.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think anyone expects Green to improve just because Collins did. Again, the point is simple -- sometimes young players get better in Year 2. It's not at all uncommon. So let's not write anyone off just because they struggled as a rookie.

As for Green playing corner, I don't think it says anything about his development at safety. I think it says the safety group is healthier than the corner group, and since they wanted to get Green as many reps as possible, especially in coverage, they decided to give him some work at corner. 

Landon gets brought up all the time when discussing Green. A lot of times when someone is speaking bad about him, a poster will say "Collins made the leap in year 2 I'm sure Green can too". But it's different situations. 

And the safety group group isn't exactly healthy imo.. Geathers is out and Malik is on a pitch count. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Is the safety group healthier than the CB group? Since Pagano brought up Hooker's "dinged shoulder" today, I feel like all of our safeties besides Green & Butler are injured.

7 hours ago, bananabucket said:

What's wrong with that?

8 hours ago, J@son said:

Which is what a lot of teams do during preseason and training camp to see which players are going to make the final roster and which ones won't.  

Nothing wrong with experimenting especially in preseason, but there needs to be some method to the madness, there needs to be some reasoning besides - oh what the hell, we might as well try. There is none here. The attribute that's most required for the thing they are trying to do with Green is the attribute he most severely lacks. That's a bit like going to TY and telling him - Hey, TY you are kinda quick and elusive... wanna try playing RB?

5 hours ago, Superman said:

All the things your are pointing out are the reasons I think he needs to play closer to the LoS than to the backfield. The way to mitigate his lack of coverage skills is not to give him even more coverage responsibilities. It's to put him in position where his stronger sides can shine - put him in a Bucanon role where he can fly around and break on the ball when it's in front of him, rather than having to find it in the air.

Just now, stitches said:

All the things your are pointing out are the reasons I think he needs to play closer to the LoS than to the backfield. The way to mitigate his lack of coverage skills is not to give him even more coverage responsibilities. It's to put him in position where his stronger sides can shine - put him in a Bucanon role where he can fly around and break on the ball when it's in front of him, rather than having to find it in the air.

Yeah, I thought that his main weakness was lack of awareness, so I would be surprised if Green could handle the CB position. Why wouldn't strong safety be his best bet? Honest question as I don't know much about him.

The thought of Green playing CB is salivating.. Could just imagine him in press coverage and sticking to the wideout after... He could be like a Cromartie, good in man coverage but not the best when it comes to playing off someone. 

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Collins stunk in year 1, then turned it around.  I am believing TJ can do it too. There was no coverup on what we were getting when he was picked.  Many sites mentioned his inexperience and rawness at the position in college.  But had IE:

Pros-

"Freak athlete with a highly impressive combination of height, weight, and speed. Shows fluid footwork in his pedal and has the range to quickly close the gap over the top. Reacts quickly to plays in front of him, putting himself in position to make an aggressive play downhill. Physically-imposing defender at the POA who quickly gets rid of blocks and is able to be a force in blitz packages. Patient and effective in man coverage."

Cons-

"As raw as a steak in a butcher shop. He is still developing his instincts and recognition skills, which will undoubtedly require some time to watch and learn before receiving early playing time."

Injuries to other Colts prevented this.

"Undisciplined with his eyes and can easily be fooled by quarterbacks. Takes poor pursuit angles when coming downhill, leading to too many missed tackles as a result. In addition, he struggles to wrap up in the open field after breaking down, which will surely bring up concerns about the potential of him being a liability in run support if thrown into the fire early in his career."

Nostrodamus!! But once again, there wasn't any question what he was in the draft-

"By picking TJ Green, you are taking the risk of banking on what he could become, not what he can do for your team right now. In my opinion, he needs a redshirt year to sit and learn the nuances of the safety position before being able to give quality production on the defensive side of the ball. However, I have a massive intrigue with him as a potential press cornerback. Do not be surprised if teams like Seattle, Atlanta, and Kansas City have him as a cornerback on their board because of the height/weight/speed factor that he provides in addition to his length and physicality on the outside. There has been a growing buzz around Green lately as that pet project kind of defensive back, and I could easily see him having his name in consideration for a Day 2  pick with the upside he brings to the table as either a free safety or cornerback, but his tape shows a player that needs a ton of time and development before receiving meaningful reps."

Folks wanting him to produce in his rookie year set themselves up to be disappointed. Injuries forced playing him, but be assured it wasn't planned by the team.  I expect him to make large advances this year, and truly shine in 2018. I expected little of the guy last year, and was actually saddened to a small amount he was forced into performing before he was ready. And was hoping we could still find him available in round 3 or even 4 instead of round 2.  But...

I agree and have supported patience with Green.  My comment was in reference to all those who constantly complain about who was or wasn't taken in the draft....or when.  

Green showed up last Sunday, still needs work in coverage, and I believe that anywhere he can be of use is welcomed....we just need to be patient and let him develop.

I have no idea what part of Green's performance in college, in his NFL rookie year or in this year's camp and preseason makes Pagano think he can cover as a safety, let alone as a corner. This feels like he's trying to throw % at the wall and see what sticks. SMH

I 100% agree. He can't even play the position he was drafted to play, but they're already moving him around. This screams "Well he's not good at this so let's see if he's good at that". If he can't cover people from a FS position, IDK why any sane coach would put him one-on-one with someone.

And I swear if I hear one more person say "He's 6'3", 211, and runs a 4.4" I'm going to lose my mind. We get it!!!!Hes big and fast, but up to this point it hasn't done a damn thing for him.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't see this sticking.  Green had problems in coverage last season.  

I just can't see him playing well as a CB. 

40 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I 100% agree. He can't even play the position he was drafted to play, but they're already moving him around. This screams "Well he's not good at this so let's see if he's good at that". If he can't cover people from a FS position, IDK why any sane coach would put him one-on-one with someone.

And I swear if I hear one more person say "He's 6'3", 211, and runs a 4.4" I'm going to lose my mind. We get it!!!!Hes big and fast, but up to this point it hasn't done a damn thing for him.

It's MUCH different when sitting back and trying to anticipate (reading/reacting) whats coming at you, than just having your coach go "see that guy in front of you, stay with him". He seems to be doing decent with it in practice. If he fails, what did we lose? He's not starting at Safety, why not give him a chance to be able to  add some depth at another position we continually have problems at, especially with health.

12 hours ago, stitches said:

Nothing wrong with experimenting especially in preseason, but there needs to be some method to the madness, there needs to be some reasoning besides - oh what the hell, we might as well try. There is none here. The attribute that's most required for the thing they are trying to do with Green is the attribute he most severely lacks. That's a bit like going to TY and telling him - Hey, TY you are kinda quick and elusive... wanna try playing RB?

I'd rather give the coaches the benefit of the doubt and assume they see something that makes them think Green can play some corner, than assume that someone just had a random thought and ran with it. Green actually has the physical attributes to play any secondary position; TY does NOT have the physical attributes to play RB, so the analogy doesn't work.

I'd rather give the coaches the benefit of the doubt and assume they see something that makes them think Green can play some corner, than assume that someone just had a random thought and ran with it. Green actually has the physical attributes to play any secondary position; TY does NOT have the physical attributes to play RB, so the analogy doesn't work.

Unfortunately physical attributes is all he has, which is the issue. He doesn't have the talent however. Talent>Physical attributes. I think the coaches see what everyone else sees , which is that he's big and fast. Unfortunately that will be the story that defines him.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Unfortunately physical attributes is all he has, which is the issue. He doesn't have the talent however. Talent>Physical attributes. I think the coaches see what everyone else sees , which is that he's big and fast. Unfortunately that will be the story that defines him.

I get it, you think he's trash and will never be able to play in the NFL. I choose to hold out hope for the raw but talented player with insane physical attributes.

Also, you're wrong. He's plenty talented. What's lacking is skill and refinement. And thankfully, skill and refinement can be gained over time.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't see this sticking.  Green had problems in coverage last season.  

I just can't see him playing well as a CB. 

I know that per PFF, Green was rated the worst safety in coverage last year, but at the same time, I don't really remember him getting beat deep by anyone. Did he give up any deep plays?

I don't mind the move. It could save his career in the long run as he's never starting if geathers and hooker are healthy. What bothers me are the first team reps Wilson isn't getting because of this experiment. Unless they plan to start green week one, I don't see the merit to this.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

14 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ok, so why not give him one last chance at CB if he's probably on his way out the door anyway?  This is the perfect time of year to try it and see if he can find a spot on the 53.

If it works out, good for the Colts, we're happy.  If it doesn't work out, he gets cut in favor of a better player, we're happy.

:dunno:

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I know that per PFF, Green was rated the worst safety in coverage last year, but at the same time, I don't really remember him getting beat deep by anyone. Did he give up any deep plays?

Yes he did, but the problem was tracking the ball in the air and sticking with the receiver as the ball arrives. It's not with mirroring the receiver and staying close in coverage, it's competing once the ball is on the way. And that's a big deal, but it's a different question from just 'can he cover.' Antonio Morrison absolutely can't cover, period. TJ Green needs to do a better job when the ball is in the air, and then he'll have a chance.

Anyone want to know who PFF's worst rated safety in coverage was in 2015?

I get it, you think he's trash and will never be able to play in the NFL. I choose to hold out hope for the raw but talented player with insane physical attributes.

Also, you're wrong. He's plenty talented. What's lacking is skill and refinement. And thankfully, skill and refinement can be gained over time.

Wrong. I don't think he'll ever be able to play safety or CB at a high level in the NFL. His destiny is special teams. I think Ballard probably thinks the same because he drafted Malik Hooker #15 overall, and also 2 CBs in the draft. Not to mention they re-signed Butler to play FS (not knowing they'd get Hooker). You don't make those moves if you think Green has a future. Specifically the Hooker pick.

By contrast, he clearly believes in the O-line. Granted he went BPA, but he only drafted Banner and didn't bring in any high profile OL in FA. I think Pagano (who was apparently jumping on the table to draft him) just has a soft spot for Green.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes he did, but the problem was tracking the ball in the air and sticking with the receiver as the ball arrives. It's not with mirroring the receiver and staying close in coverage, it's competing once the ball is on the way. And that's a big deal, but it's a different question from just 'can he cover.' Antonio Morrison absolutely can't cover, period. TJ Green needs to do a better job when the ball is in the air, and then he'll have a chance.

Pass defense at the corner and safety positions is different. At Corner your typically given a guy to cover and mirror and follow or bump him, safety in many instances you cover an area or help someone and read and react. Green might be better at be given and assignment  ie a guy, than he is at reading an reacting.  

I'm guessing Landon Collins because I've heard that argument a million times in this board. "But Collins was bad his 1st year too and everyone wanted him ". It's beating a dead horse.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

You forget that Collins had the forum seal of approval pre-draft, that renders anything subsequent, factual or not, irrelevant. 

Ok, so why not give him one last chance at CB if he's probably on his way out the door anyway?  This is the perfect time of year to try it and see if he can find a spot on the 53.

If it works out, good for the Colts, we're happy.  If it doesn't work out, he gets cut in favor of a better player, we're happy.

:dunno:

Because you usually have to be good at either CB or safety first before being moved to the other position. Butler is a good example. Excelled as a slot CB first, then moved to FS. However it's harder for a safety to convert to a CB. CB isn't going to be easier for him. At his size, it'll actually be harder.