Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck to be placed on PUP List

TKnight24

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The position is Morris' to win. Luck is out all preseason. Perfect opportunity to see him play vs at least 2nd stringers. 

I guess I am not certain it is definitively Morris' to win. It seems like it is a foregone conclusion that Tolzien is clearly the backup given all of last season and this off-season with Tolzien taking all snaps with 1st team. It seems like Morris is essentially stuck in that 3rd spot, and I don't think he has mobility to move up from there even if he puts up huge numbers against second-string competition this preseason.

Tolzien by no means played horribly last season either when he was in for Luck. The difference is Morris was actually exciting to watch last preseason though. It felt like he had big play capability. Tolzien feels more like a game manager. Maybe Morris can't handle starting though -- but preseason seems like the perfect time to find that out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not surprising.  The fact they also said he started to throw and haven't said that he will start the season on PUP , unlike Geathers, could very well mean when they are saying Luck is on schedule they are telling the truth.

All bets are off concerning medical staff reports.  They have been known to use "alternate facts" in the past.

1 minute ago, Dudley Smith said:

I guess I am not certain it is definitively Morris' to win. It seems like it is a foregone conclusion that Tolzien is clearly the backup given all of last season and this off-season with Tolzien taking all snaps with 1st team. It seems like Morris is essentially stuck in that 3rd spot, and I don't think he has much mobility there even if he puts up huge numbers against second-string competition this offseason.

Tolzien by no means played horribly last season either when he was in for Luck. The difference is Morris was actually exciting to watch last preseason though. It felt like he had big play capability. Tolzien feels more like a game manager. Maybe Morris can't handle starting though -- but preseason seems like the perfect time to find that out.

Maybe all they are looking for is a game manager 

I'd honestly rather have butler  and hooker back there yes I know neither is that ss you look for to be a threat in the run game or enforce but they are two rangy players butler did great playing safety with a broken hand and hooker I doubt you'll be able to launch the just anywhere with him deep

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Question. . . Why put Luck on the PUP list.  

He can throw.  During practice he wears a red jersey.  So you can't hit him.  And he has no problems with his mobility.

Is it just so he can devote him time to regaining strength??

The only thing I can think of is that he may not count against the roster size?

9 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I get a good vibe about Luck and a bad vibe about Geathers from that presser. I also thought that Langford was past his injury?

Taking extreme caution with injuries, I respect Ballard for that. They said Langford will be fine so barring some unforeseen event, he should be playing against his former squad come week 1

2 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I read he Ballard also said he has started throwing and has no had no set backs so far and that he'll be back for the season!  Hopefully that stands true!

Yeah, putting him on the PUP list is probably just being cautious. At least I hope so.

You just have to learn to wait and see with this organization. I don't trust much of anything they tell us when it comes to injuries. They could have easily said weeks ago that they expect Luck to start training camp on the PUP. 

I just watched Ballard's presser and it is comforting to me.  

He COULD just have a really good poker face, but I think he is saying what he believes to be true.

This in regard to all those on the PUP list

Yeah I'm assuming with Luck it's precautionary and apparently he was still expected to play the opener if I'm not mistaken??  With Clayton though that's a bummer.  Neck injuries are no joke and I hope it doesn't turn into something that ends his career.  

Not too happy about the news today in general though but it's much better to be safe than sorry.  No sense in rush two studs back but honestly Geathers situation worries me more.  I still expect Luck to be back the season opener. 

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

I just watched Ballard's presser and it is comforting to me.  

He COULD just have a really good poker face, but I think he is saying what he believes to be true.

This in regard to all those on the PUP list

I agree. Overall, good news. Luck is throwing and should be back for reg. season, Mewhort being good to go (with some limitations), Langford and Hooker should be ok for season. Even Geathers could be back for Pittsburg or before. The safety position is deep, so that could ease some of the concerns about Geathers. It's a lttle disconcerting because all of these injuries could become troublesome or even season ending but I like the way they are handling things. The other thing Ballard emphasized was they would know where their weaknesses were, once the pads went on and could grab some players from other teams, at the final cut. Long term, things are looking good.

1 minute ago, coltsfeva said:

I agree. Overall, good news. Luck is throwing and should be back for ref. season, Mewhort being good to go (with some limitations), Langford and Hooker should be ok for season. Even Geathers could be back for Pittsburg or before. The safety position is deep, so that could ease some of the concerns about Geathers. It's a lttle disconcerting because all of these injuries could become troublesome or even season ending but I like the way they are handling things. The other thing Ballard emphasized was they would know where their weaknesses were, once the pads went on and could grab some players from other teams, at the final cut. Long term, things are looking good.

I caught that too.  Not to ride Grigson, but I never really heard him talk like that.

I am okay with Geathers doing what he needs to do to get back to playing.  Seems like he is always hurt though.

I just hope this year we don't have to deal with so many injuries as we have in the past couple of years.  It would be nice to take a healthy team (85-90% anyway) into the last stretch when things really matter.

Sometimes when your roster is a little better they don't get hurt as much as when they lack talent.  Maybe its just me but it sure seems that way.  Better players are in better position.  Lesser players get caught out of position and then unexpected things happen.  Of course there is always exception.

I am, like most, just ready for the season to kick off!!!!

5 hours ago, Dudley Smith said:

Wish Morris was the backup behind Luck so we got a better look at him against better competition. Hard to know for sure how good he really is when he generally will only play against 3rd or 4th stringers this preseason who won't even be on an NFL roster. Feel like he has a higher ceiling than Tolzien. Since Luck won't be available this preseason would be perfect for him to be playing with the starters and get a bit of an idea of what he can do. Not that it will happen (barring an injury to Tolzien).

Tolzien gives us a better chance to win NOW. Which is what we need to be concerned about with Luck's status:

maybe Morris will overtake him (i like morris' upside too), but we NEED to have tolzien ready for week one just in case.  I dont think Morris is ready to start over tolzien.  I think our odds are better with tolzien now and most likely week one. One of them needs reps like a #1 imo. Maybe morris will impress, but i doubt he beats out tolzien in camp, maybe later in season.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

He can throw.  During practice he wears a red jersey.  So you can't hit him.  And he has no problems with his mobility.

It keeps a roster spot open i believe

5 hours ago, Dudley Smith said:

Wish Morris was the backup behind Luck so we got a better look at him against better competition. Hard to know for sure how good he really is when he generally will only play against 3rd or 4th stringers this preseason who won't even be on an NFL roster. Feel like he has a higher ceiling than Tolzien. Since Luck won't be available this preseason would be perfect for him to be playing with the starters and get a bit of an idea of what he can do. Not that it will happen (barring an injury to Tolzien).

I'm betting he gets the majority of playing time in the preseason. Ballard will also want to see what he can do. That's what preseason is for to me.

Ballad is such a breath of fresh air over Grigson as our new GM. He just is. He actually answers direct reporter questions posed to him. He tells you straight up where Luck is at. No setbacks, weight is up, starting to throw. 

Ballard is a straight shooter. With Grigson, I always felt like the guy was trying to withhold info, lie to me, & do that darn double speak crap. Man, I hated that nonsense. I really did. 

Okay, if I'm being honest, I respect Ballard's proven record of winning with the Chiefs under Andy Reid. We're on the way up now as a franchise. Thank God. 

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

They don't want him out there doing live drills until he's 100% strength, red jersey or not. And if he just started his throwing program a week ago, chances are he hasn't even thrown the ball 15 yards yet. There's gonna be a little rust to start the season, as chemistry & timing will be a little behind schedule, I think that much is a given at this point.

I think this is the way they have to approach it.  If he's not ready for week 1 then I don't think they're going to force the issue, nor should they.  They have to look not only at 2017 but down the line for 2018, 19, and beyond.  They have to get this thing fully healed and then some.  If this team is to ever get to the Superbowl it is going to be with this guy leading them and I highly doubt it will be this year anyway.  Let;s get him right, get him a year under his belt post-surgery, and be ready to unleash the hounds in 2018.

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Everything appears to be going along precisely as i felt it would.

Luck will most certainly be on a supervised (coaches and medical team) throwing program designed to build up strength progressively in his shoulder.  He is not ready at this time to join the team in drills, thus the PUP where he can be in team meetings, have access to the facilities and medical team.  

I expect he will be off the PUP approximately 6 weeks from the time he began his throwing program.  Hopefully it was begun before now.  If Today was the beginning, then that only allows about one week in practice with the team to prepare for the Rams.  No, I don't think they will rush Luck through the throwing program so he can play a preseason game, or play game 1 if not quite yet ready.  .  He will play a pre-season game only if he has progressed through the program to it's full completion without any complications and provided there are still game(s) to play; whenever that may be.

All reports all along about he is on course and status quo appears correct at this point.  Let's hope he progressive through the throwing program well and is on the field by week 1 at nearly 100%.

Mike Wells confirmed on NFL radio tha Luck began his rehab throwing program last week, so he might be ready for the 8/31 Thursday  final pre-season game.  Could get some snaps in, but if the other teams 1st string isn't in, I doubt Luck plays as we likely won't play unless we trot out our 1st string o line in doing so.  But if all things stay on track, Luck could have 2 weeks in practice with the team. 

My guess (purely conjecture folks) is Luck comes off the PUP anywhere from between the afternoon of 8/25 to the morning of 8/28. Purely a guess (and hope).

I laughed so hard when at Chris Ballard's press conference he said "Now Andrew Luck is important yes, but he's not the only guy we should be talking about right now." 

The assembled media agrees with that statement wholeheartedly & then continues to pepper our GM with Chewbacca based questions. 

That is hysterical to me. It's like a guy raving about his ex to his new woman endlessly & she says can we talk about something else please. You apologize agree it was insensitive toward her & then proceed to gloat about your former love interest again. :lol:

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I laughed so hard when at Chris Ballard's press conference he said "Now Andrew Luck is important yes, but he's not the only guy we should be talking about right now." 

The assembled media agrees with that statement wholeheartedly & then continues to pepper our GM with Chewbacca based questions. 

That is hysterical to me. It's like a guy raving about his ex to his new woman endlessly & she says can we talk about something else please. You apologize agree it was insensitive toward her & then proceed to gloat about your former love interest again. :lol:

It's because without Andrew the media knows we are screwed. We need him just to get to 9 or 10 wins and have a chance to do anything. No more Hasselbeck miracles are around. In 2015 we were lucky we had Hass (who was a Good Pro) but still only went 8-8

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's because without Andrew the media knows we are screwed. We need him just to get to 9 or 10 wins and have a chance to do anything. No more Hasselbeck miracles are around. In 2015 we were lucky we had Hass (who was a Good Pro) but still only went 8-8

I understand that & it's a very valid point CBE. In addition, I also know that news of Andrew Luck's heath & progress sells papers, generates web hits, & moves the needle in INDY as a devoted fanbase buddy. 

I'm just saying visually that what Ballard said & how the media totally ignored what he said & hit the same drumbeat was comedy gold man. It truly was. 

The optics of that brief exchange & response were priceless. That was my point. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Hasselbeck was your Steve DeBerg that one year. lmao Old man capping off those wins, was entertaining to watch. 

Being on the PUP list could help Luck. There's no need to risk him in preseason coming off this surgery. 

2 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Matt Hasselbeck was your Steve DeBerg that one year. lmao Old man capping off those wins, was entertaining to watch. 

Being on the PUP list could help Luck. There's no need to risk him in preseason coming off this surgery. 

Plus, if practice is hard-hitting, and Luck doesn't have arm strength, he could get the RECEIVERS hurt too!!!!

7 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Yeah I enjoyed the surprising wins that season because when Andrew went down I thought we would stink. Our best win with Hass was at Houston but when the Colts went into Atlanta and won that, that was awesome - something I know you had to like.