Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle competition

a06cc

I would like to see Joe Haeg get reps at his natural position at LT. That spot is really overlooked. Anthony Canstonzo has been inconsistent since signing his new deal. I'm not the only one to notice this about his play. I like Clark at RT that's only way I'm saying Haeg should be given a chance to play on the left side. Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I would like to see Joe Haeg get reps at his natural position at LT. That spot is really overlooked. Anthony Canstonzo has been inconsistent since signing his new deal. I'm not the only one to notice this about his play. I like Clark at RT that's only way I'm saying Haeg should be given a chance to play on the left side. Thoughts?

Even with some of the inconsistencies, Castonzo's still our best and most experienced linemen. That being said, I want the 5 best guys out there at all times, so if Haeg gets some reps and outperforms him in camp and preseason, I'm all about it. That would pretty much guarantee that AC moves over to RT, which could be a really good thing.

56 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Clark is the guy who should take over lt 

Castanzo has not lived up to his contract at LT IMO, but outside of Mewhort he is still our best lineman. I think 99% he is our starting LT this year but if he has another lack luster season i expect serious competition with his job on the line next offseason.

10 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Yikes,  last I saw,  Haeg was not developed enough to start at any position on the O-Line, let alone LT. 

They like him at RG, he's the incumbent and played pretty well toward the end of the season.   

Ballard looks for that one unique trait in a player.  Well, Clark has the longest arm reach of all linemen.  That has to be a top LT characteristic.  Haeg seems to be a jack of all trades and a master at none (I don't mean this harshly cause I think he is great).  I can't really tell where he should be but I do think he would make a great 6th man with very little if any drop off.

One area, one draft at a time.  

Ballard said, had Hooker not fallen, he was looking at offensive players.  Lamp, I'm sure.  

I can't imagine he loves Castanzo or this O-line, but only so many picks. Give it a few years.

Messing around with the one area where the line has some consistency could be a major error. Get these young players up to speed and then see what develops first. There are plenty of good players just needing more playing time and continuity.

If anybody takes AC's spot, I expect it to be Clark. And with Ballard creating a competitive culture, you can't rule out the possibility.  I don't think he's gonna play favorites with any position (besides Luck, for now...) and if someone gets a starting spot they will have earned it.  Which is exactly as it should be. Should definitely get rid of complacency and feelings of entitlement...  Looking at you AC & Vontae, both of whom's play has been inconsistent recently. 

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard looks for that one unique trait in a player.  Well, Clark has the longest arm reach of all linemen.  That has to be a top LT characteristic.  Haeg seems to be a jack of all trades and a master at none (I don't mean this harshly cause I think he is great).  I can't really tell where he should be but I do think he would make a great 6th man with very little if any drop off.

Like what you said about Haeg. I don't think he should play a guard position. It has to be one of the tackles. Looked good on film from what I show at RT. I just want to see him at LT. Clark could be a LT. Just my gut feeling Haeg would be a good at LT. 

Haeg is a good back up tackle. He is not starter caliber at tackle and certainly not guard. He is too puny. Swenke will be starting right guard, Haeg back up tackle. If Fat man from Mars Hill ( D Good) doesn't up his game, he might not make the roster. Ballard has no connection to him unlike the scrub Grigson so his spot on team not guaranteed. Colts have lots of new faces and few spots on team are locked down 

16 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

If anybody takes AC's spot, I expect it to be Clark. And with Ballard creating a competitive culture, you can't rule out the possibility.  I don't think he's gonna play favorites with any position (besides Luck, for now...) and if someone gets a starting spot they will have earned it.  Which is exactly as it should be. Should definitely get rid of complacency and feelings of entitlement...  Looking at you AC & Vontae, both of whom's play has been inconsistent recently. 

Davis has only been inconsistent bc of injuries mainly he's never fully 100% and he's developed the Toler trait of picking up the ones that linger

34 minutes ago, will426 said:

Davis has only been inconsistent bc of injuries mainly he's never fully 100% and he's developed the Toler trait of picking up the ones that linger

His biggest problem is the colts havnt had a pass rush.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Castanzo will be our Left Tackle until Clark is ready to move over there in about 2-3 years...

Then Clark will be our LT and Banner will be our RT.

This may happen sooner than that, possibly next season if Costanzo isn't the best option at left tackle.

Our new GM doesn't have a coddling or favoritism nature.

57 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

This may happen sooner than that, possibly next season if Costanzo isn't the best option at left tackle.

Our new GM doesn't have a coddling or favoritism nature.

Neither Clark or Banner will be ready for LT next year.

And the grades for Castanzo showed he had a good year last year.     I think he was somewhere around the middle of the pack.      And for now,  he's the best.      It will take Clark or Banner some time before either is ready for the LT.

Clark will have to prove himself at RT first...   and I'd guess he'd have to play at least 2 years at a high level,  maybe 3, before he'd move Clark to the left side to replace Castanzo...

Just my opinion....

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Neither Clark or Banner will be ready for LT next year.

And the grades for Castanzo showed he had a good year last year.     I think he was somewhere around the middle of the pack.      And for now,  he's the best.      It will take Clark or Banner some time before either is ready for the LT.

Clark will have to prove himself at RT first...   and I'd guess he'd have to play at least 2 years at a high level,  maybe 3, before he'd move Clark to the left side to replace Castanzo...

Just my opinion....

Maybe so but Clark's long arms and Banner's size alone

will put a fire under Costanzo's butt to up his game a bit.

31 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Maybe so but Clark's long arms and Banner's size alone

will put a fire under Costanzo's butt to up his game a bit.

Hopefully you're right!     Both guys have amazing physical tools!

As the scouts like to say,   they are both Big off the Bus!!

They pass the eye-ball test with ease!

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, GoColts8818 said:

There isn't a better LT on the roster.

Agreed.....we're not going to make a change there....I wouldn't think.

...I thought we improved late last year all over the line...lets leave that alone

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, #12. said:

One area, one draft at a time.  

Ballard said, had Hooker not fallen, he was looking at offensive players.  Lamp, I'm sure.  

I can't imagine he loves Castanzo or this O-line, but only so many picks. Give it a few years.

If you look at the last 4 or 5 games last year..our O-line was pretty good

5 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

If you look at the last 4 or 5 games last year..our O-line was pretty good

Which should not be under stated due to the lines youth and inexperience last year. They will be have a better season grade than last year, i'd bet.

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here's a breakdown on Haeg. It appears deficiencies noted in his draft profile were true, and were displayed (both the good and bad) in his rookie NFL season.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/4/11/15266590/pre-draft-look-at-colts-offensive-line-joe-haeg-part-ii-rt

Dude is a warrior and works hard but he was put in at right guard last year because we had no one else!

Haeg seems smart and skilled.  I believe the strength will come.  Hilton gained bulk and muscle his 2nd year because he was told he needed to bulk up his frame.  We know from reports that The whole Oline group has been working out together this offseason.  He will be stronger for sure.

23 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Haeg seems smart and skilled.  I believe the strength will come.  Hilton gained bulk and muscle his 2nd year because he was told he needed to bulk up his frame.  We know from reports that The whole Oline group has been working out together this offseason.  He will be stronger for sure.

Not sure why people are making a deal about Haeg needing to get stronger.  That can be said about every rookie lineman.

28 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Not sure why people are making a deal about Haeg needing to get stronger.  That can be said about every rookie lineman.

I cant imagine what its like for rookie starters on the O-line (like we had) going against rotations of veterans on the defense for the first time..

...they all probably think they are in the 'best shape of their lives' going in and then they realize they have to get stronger than that

On 5/5/2017 at 8:15 PM, AZColt11 said:

It will all shake out in training camp.  If Castonzo is the best LT, he'll be the starter.  If not, someone else will do it.  Ballard is adamant the best guys will play and I believe him.

I totally agree!! Ballard wants competition and he is not going back down from that.