Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm surprised they have Lang ranked above Hightower.   Either of those would be sweet at a reasonable rate

Or both. :D.  And still plenth of money leftover probably for a john Simon, Logan Ryan, and if they can't swing sheard they could take another flyer on a guy like Jarvis Jones or Devin taylor. If we don't get Hightower there's still Zach brown, Kevin minter and hell Manti teo is probably better than we have now. Doubt he'd be expensive and could at least let him try to beat out Morrison or Jackson....probably Morrison. 

Still a lot of ways they can improve the team quite a bit. 

8 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Yeah I was hoping he could replace DQ.

Cant be a coincidence that most FA are either targeted or go to teams within their division. Teams that have played against these guys multiple times and game planned obviously seem to evaluate these guys better. Just look at all the guys in AFC East that just traded jerseys.

19 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What did he say about the right side of the line? He said in a recent interview he liked Haeg and Clark. 

“I think he’s got some good pieces with [Anthony] Castonzo and [Jack] Mewhort and [Ryan] Kelly,” Ballard said. “We’ve got to get the right side solidified but we’ve got some young players in [Joe] Haeg and [Le’Raven] Clark that I think we can build upon. But it’s definitely an area that we’ll definitely keep our eye on going forward, between free agency and the draft.”

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Got to either sign a good Nose Tackle or ILB at this point. That way I'd draft the other in the 1st and then a corner with my 2nd... But that's just me 

I expect a few lbers and a few d lineman before free agency is over.

Like I've said, I think we're looking at mid level upgrades, which is really why we need, we don't need overpaid stars or one year wonders. I will say this, Colts were linked to way more targets this year and they just didn't get done, so I'm faithful that we'll get some of the upper 2nd tier guys in the next 48 hours

8 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Well whatever the reasons, when a team is having trouble attracting FA's you need to way over-pay.

Money is usually a great equalizer.

Actually,  in the long run is the great inequalizer.   Teams that over spend are screwing themselves for the future.  That's, why smart gms don't unless they have an old qb 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

It improved their roster, is his point. 

I dont want us to go crazy in FA either, just sayin. I only want 1 guy lol

It improved the roster.   What will the roster look like when they have no cap space moving forward?

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ok,  how many playoff wins did their enormous spending amount to last year?

Turned a bottom 5 D to a top 10 D in 1 off season. Idc how many rings, Eli is not Andrew and with a top 10 D this team could've done great things. I'm less confident now with our inactivity tho because the only FA we've been linked too is Alshon which would've been a terrible signing. Not to mention the in house moves he should've easily made already, cutting Art, signing DB and RT. Idk I was confident before today, not so much anymore.

2 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Turned a bottom 5 D to a top 10 D in 1 off season. Idc how many rings, Eli is not Andrew and with a top 10 D this team could've done great things. I'm less confident now with our inactivity tho because the only FA we've been linked too is Alshon which would've been a terrible signing. Not to mention the in house moves he should've easily made already, cutting Art, signing DB and RT. Idk I was confident before today, not so much anymore.

Seasons over.   

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,  because huge spending in free agency equals a bunch of wins.   Ask jacksonville

Ask Denver and Oakland. Pretty sure Denver spent a lot of money on players(Talib, Ware, TJ Ward, DRC main ones) and won a SB. The reason Jacksonville, Cleveland, Philly, and the other teams haven't done much is because they haven't had a star franchise QB. Those stats are irrelevant. Pats spent 16 million on Revis. He played lights out. They won a SB. Raiders signed Kelsie Osmelee(top guard), Michael Crabtree, Bruce Irvin(top pass rusher), Sean Smith(one of top corners available) while still retaining their own FA's. Raiders were SB favorites for many people before Carr injury. Broncos, Pats, and Raiders all had/have franchise QB's. Look at the positives too. I think people don't realize how much two or three top players can make for a team. I agree the best way to build is through the draft, but with the way Grigson has screwed us over, signing some good free agents would help. 

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Some perspective

Look

40 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Dammm! I know I'm being inpatient but can we do something already?!?!?! Everyone in our division has gotten miles better two off seasons in a row, didn't amount to wins for the Jags but they're a QB away look at that D and holy moly look at it now. Tennessee fills a huge need with a great player for a good price on top, and now they'll pick twice in the top 20. Houston messed up with Brock and I dont think Romo will help them honestly, but that D was #1 without JJ, he's coming back. If we lose the off season battle again this year we'll be competing for 3rd place in our division with the Jags. Mmm I pray I'm being a drama queen

The thing that bothers me, is that the whole "were building through the draft"  philosophy doesn't seem to match up with playing your probably injured quarterback to win a meaningless game and actually hurt your draft position..At our position were likely to get 1 maybe 2 great starters...who are you filling the rest of the defense out with? More 2nd tier guys who could be starters or more older guys who could still have some in the tank. I don't know, to me it doesn't particularly look like the tactics have changed all that much, and that we are just going to be hoping that Ballard is better at guessing than Grigson was. 

9 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

The thing that bothers me, is that the whole "were building through the draft"  philosophy doesn't seem to match up with playing your probably injured quarterback to win a meaningless game and actually hurt your draft position..At our position were likely to get 1 maybe 2 great starters...who are you filling the rest of the defense out with? More 2nd tier guys who could be starters or more older guys who could still have some in the tank. I don't know, to me it doesn't particularly look like the tactics have changed all that much, and that we are just going to be hoping that Ballard is better at guessing than Grigson was. 

This....

It bothers me a little that this "plan so far" does seem to warrant what Grigs did. It almost forces Pagano and staff to actually coach guys with average/potential above average talent to perform at higher levels and to me this has been the problem all along. I'm not convinced, based on previous years, that our current staff can coach guys up and get them to play better. This is why I believe we needed to spend some cash and get proven play makers who could excel without top tier coaching. We need a true dominate NT and we need to spend big to get one. I'm not in favor of Poe though. Highly overrated and back issues. If Hankins can anchor a 3-4 then we go get him no question unless the Colts are eyeing one they believe they can acquire with 15th pick overall. I knew this was going to be a 2 year process, but in terms of Paganos job security, if Ballard just brings in rookies and guys with potential for this staff to coach up and get results, then I'm afraid next year this time we will have a complete overhaul in the staff as I have no faith in the current to coach up players 

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

It bothers me a little that this "plan so far" does seem to warrant what Grigs did. It almost forces Pagano and staff to actually coach guys with average/potential above average talent to perform at higher levels and to me this has been the problem all along. I'm not convinced, based on previous years, that our current staff can coach guys up and get them to play better. This is why I believe we needed to spend some cash and get proven play makers who could excel without top tier coaching. We need a true dominate NT and we need to spend big to get one. I'm not in favor of Poe though. Highly overrated and back issues. If Hankins can anchor a 3-4 then we go get him no question unless the Colts are eyeing one they believe they can acquire with 15th pick overall. I knew this was going to be a 2 year process, but in terms of Paganos job security, if Ballard just brings in rookies and guys with potential for this staff to coach up and get results, then I'm afraid next year this time we will have a complete overhaul in the staff as I have no faith in the current to coach up players 

Good points, just one thing to be aware of: The common denominator between GM Grigson and GM Ballard is Irsay. He may have a master plan that both GM's had/has to follow, so I'm not convinced we should necessarily expect a huge shift in philosophy. I certainly hope Ballard is much better at getting the right free agents in, but something tells me Irsay is on a more patient path now than two years ago.