Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

In some ways I agree. I'm shocked they didn't resign Walden. My fav player on the defense, not because he's a pro bowler but dude is tough, has heart and plays like a big dog compared to his measurable. I hope he comes back

But he didn't really play lights out until this year (contract year).  Plus Ballard did state that he wanted to go younger.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

But he didn't really play lights out until this year (contract year).  Plus Ballard did state that he wanted to go younger.

yes, I agree with you. It's just that from an aggression/attitude standpoint we haven't had a guy like Walden since Bob retired IMO

7 minutes ago, Indeee said:

In some ways I agree. I'm shocked they didn't resign Walden. My fav player on the defense, not because he's a pro bowler but dude is tough, has heart and plays like a big dog compared to his measurable. I hope he comes back

That door has closed (much better than the previous one posted that is now deleted..)

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I feel like the Jags or one of the other interested teams is just going to outbid us. Unless we give Poe what he wants, which is multiple years and more $ than most here are probably think. 

jax is building a great defense with free agents, if they had a better qb they would be tough

This is from PFF "Teams have tried to counter Hightower by targeting him in the passing game once every 5.2 cover snaps, fifth-highest for an ILB – but to no avail as his 0.62 yards given up per cover snap is among the lowest at his position." 

@Superman i didn't really know where to post this, but isn't your reasoning for not wanting Hightower because he's bad in coverage?

11 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

This is from PFF "Teams have tried to counter Hightower by targeting him in the passing game once every 5.2 cover snaps, fifth-highest for an ILB – but to no avail as his 0.62 yards given up per cover snap is among the lowest at his position." 

@Superman i didn't really know where to post this, but isn't your reasoning for not wanting Hightower because he's bad in coverage?

Well in 2016, qbs had a passer rating of 109.3 when throwing against him. That isnt exactly great for coverage. He isnt good in coverage but the stats show that he is good at making the tackles after giving up completions. 

10 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Well in 2016, qbs had a passer rating of 109.3 when throwing against him. That isnt exactly great for coverage. He isnt good in coverage but the stats show that he is good at making the tackles after giving up completions. 

how is that compared to the lbs we had for 2016

10 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Someone sent me that PFF info. But your info kind of negates it. 

15 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Looks like to me the Genious of Belichek`s #1 Defense was to use him to cover RB`s and TE that release late and they ain`t getting jack for yardage. Wouldn`t it be great if we could a quality NT AND Hightower? Wow!!!

9 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I dont have the numbers handy for the colts, as they dont have the numbers as readily available as they were for the pats. I would assume that everyone except maybe edwin did worse, but i will look into it, confirm numbers and get back to you. 

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Looks like to me Belichek used him to cover RB`s and TE that release late and they ain`t getting jack for yardage. Wouldn`t it be great if we could a quality NT AND Hightower? Wow!!!

Well his yds per completion given up are fairly good (4.6 ypc), but that wont stop the pats from dinking and dunking on us over the middle. I think hes a good player, but need to find out if his stats show he is a big enough improvement to merit the money we would be paying him. 

44 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Alright so it turns out that the Colts advanced coverage stats are more elusive than I would have thought. I will continue looking later today but I thought I would come in with some other information for comparison that gives a little of perspective in the meantime

Keuchly has been sitting around a 50 passer rating his way over the last few years which is the best mark in the NFL for LBs. His salary for 2017 is currently at 12.7M, which is around the price tag that Hightower is speculated to command. 

QBs have an 87.3 Passer rating when throwing against Gerald Hodges of SF, who also graded as the 13th Run defender in the NFL as well as the 10th best pass rusher for MLBs. He will definitely come cheaper than 12M/yr, with his market value being speculated at 4-6M/ Yr. That being said he put up a QB rating of 114.3 the year before, so the question arises as to whether this was a statistical anomaly or is it simply him coming into his stride. I would guess that it is the latter, as he has been improving over the last few years, Giving Qb ratings of 125.5, then 114.3 and then 87.3 in the last 3 years. 

I am not implying that Hightower is a bad player, because that would be a lie. He is a great run defender and below average pass defender that makes up for it by having some pass rush ability. I like him, I am just not sure I like him enough to pay him like he is a Keuchly level player. If his price tag went down to like 7-9M/ Yr I would be all for it. 

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yes. That stat doesn't say anything about how good or bad he is in coverage.

44 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Alright so it turns out that the Colts advanced coverage stats are more elusive than I would have thought. I will continue looking later today but I thought I would come in with some other information for comparison that gives a little of perspective in the meantime

Keuchly has been sitting around a 50 passer rating his way over the last few years which is the best mark in the NFL for LBs. His salary for 2017 is currently at 12.7M, which is around the price tag that Hightower is speculated to command. 

QBs have an 87.3 Passer rating when throwing against Gerald Hodges of SF, who also graded as the 13th Run defender in the NFL as well as the 10th best pass rusher for MLBs. He will definitely come cheaper than 12M/yr, with his market value being speculated at 4-6M/ Yr. That being said he put up a QB rating of 114.3 the year before, so the question arises as to whether this was a statistical anomaly or is it simply him coming into his stride. I would guess that it is the latter, as he has been improving over the last few years, Giving Qb ratings of 125.5, then 114.3 and then 87.3 in the last 3 years. 

I am not implying that Hightower is a bad player, because that would be a lie. He is a great run defender and below average pass defender that makes up for it by having some pass rush ability. I like him, I am just not sure I like him enough to pay him like he is a Keuchly level player. If his price tag went down to like 7-9M/ Yr I would be all for it. 

What about Zach Brown and Kevin Minter? Are they good in coverage?

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not a wow.....

The surrendering of the 4th is the final piece in the Deflategate punishment.    The draft picks involved were a 1st (last years) and a 4th.   (this years)

The trade should be voided of NO should be made to give up an actual pick

4 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Some people were actually calling this guy the real deal and actually thought had he played against the Pats in the 2015 Title Game that Denver still would've won lmao. Thank God Peyton played because Peyton played well, otherwise the Pats would've been SB Champions in 2015 as well. Brock's career is looking bleak. I cant think of 1 team he would fit in with. If you are a bad team, you don't even want him.

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The trade should be voided of NO should be made to give up an actual pick

Separate transactions.

New England would not have done the deal without the 4,  so they negotiated for it.

Now, NE has a 4 to surrender to fulfill the terms of the punishment.

There's nothing shady about this....

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Separate transactions.

New England would not have done the deal without the 4,  so they negotiated for it.

Now, NE has a 4 to surrender to fulfill the terms of the punishment.

There's nothing shady about this....

They already had a 4th round pick before the cooks trade.  they had the 131st pick from the seattle trade in 2016 draft.