Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just now, gspdx said:

I hear ya.  But one FA isn't going to make us a Superbowl team.  It would be nice to pick up a few proven players, or just one, but we need to let Ballard do his job.  I bet he and Irsay have had plenty of conversations about the approach.

Of course not. But it helps with stopping the run and let's us focus our draft on linebackers and corner. It's just a small step to building a competent defense. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm fine with Ballard right now. Most people are giving him the benfit though out of blind faith and homerism just because he's the Colts GM and he's done nothing yet. All I see is a pattern of repeating Grigson's mistake in FA. You have to spend in FA, so might as well not spend it at the bargain bin.

The "Benefit" most of us are giving him, is that it takes more than 2 hrs for the offseason to happen. Most of us are willing to wait until we actually see what happens before we make our judgement. 

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There are still quality players available that fill holes we have

I just don't see the harm in splashing for ONE guy that is almost tops at his position. I think it would've been fine to spend the money on one of those fancy elite lineman or the Corner. Although I think Bouye is a waste of money but that's just my opinion. 

I think Ballard is gonna nail this draft and get a few later round starters out of all our 4th round picks

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm fine with Ballard right now. Most people are giving him the benfit though out of blind faith and homerism just because he's the Colts GM and he's done nothing yet. All I see is a pattern of repeating Grigson's mistake in FA. You have to spend in FA, so might as well not spend it at the bargain bin.

But that is wrong, successful teams rarely spend big in free agency.  If they do it is for one maybe two pieces.  As you have stated the Colts need a lot of help.  One big time free agent is not going to turn the tide.  Spending on one "elite" free agent when you can get 3 or 4 above average players not only fills more holes but your overall team should be better for it.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

What else should we do?  Throw a temper tantrum on a message board about a subject you have no idea about?  That seems reasonable

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I just don't see the harm in splashing for ONE guy that is almost tops at his position. I think it would've been fine to spend the money on one of those fancy elite lineman or the Corner. Although I think Bouye is a waste of money but that's just my opinion. 

I think Ballard is gonna nail this draft and get a few later round starters out of all our 4th round picks

Those splashy players are still out there. We can get a Brandon Williams or a Poe and still come out with a player who is towards the top of their position. Its the lower end of the flashy guys, but they will cost less and have the same impact that one of the other guys would. Time will tell if we make a play for these type of guys. 

Just now, Dilger85 said:

But that is wrong, successful teams rarely spend big in free agency.  If they do it is for one maybe two pieces.  As you have stated the Colts need a lot of help.  One big time free agent is not going to turn the tide.  Spending on one "elite" free agent when you can get 3 or 4 above average players not only fills more holes but your overall team should be better for it.

Before i leave for a bit, i will answer this. The teams that don't spend in FA are usually re-signing their own to large contracts. We couldn't do that except for Doyle this year. That's why we should of signing a couple top FA's. We have the cap to fill a couple holes for 5 years properly.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

A 3 year $21 mil. contract would have gotten us Chris Baker, I wonder why we couldn't pull that off. Maybe we were never interested??? That contract was not monstrous by any means that the Bucs offered, hence wondering.

Maybe because hes not very good! Glad we didn't sign him!!

I'm going to take a break for awhile. Just making myself mad and some of you mad. Will come back in a bit and see if we signed someone.

Probably a good idea. I've got to run some errands for work. Hopefully me no longer staring at the computer screen will result in us making some moves.

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I can agree with that and this is the year to have the handful of picks that we do in the first 4 rounds. Should still be some quality players in the 4th that in any other year would probably be 2nd or 3rd round guys. I'm REALLY amped for the draft.

5 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Of course not. But it helps with stopping the run and let's us focus our draft on linebackers and corner. It's just a small step to building a competent defense. 

It still looks like Poe, Williams and Hightower among others are still out there.  Maybe we get one, maybe not.  I know Ballard said locker room fit was just as important as football skills and I would agree.  Let's give this a little time.

Before i leave for a bit, i will answer this. The teams that don't spend in FA are usually re-signing their own to large contracts. We couldn't do that except for Doyle this year. That's why we should of signing a couple top FA's. We have the cap to fill a couple holes for 5 years properly.

i concur

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Right but Zeitler, Bouye, and Gilmore are three guys that have signed that fit an area of need.  There are still many very good players available.  I would rather get value and I am not sure that the Bouye deal will work out in the end.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Maybe.     Maybe they severely under perform and the team is on the hook for a giant contract 

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As of right now, GB is better than us. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. Their overall team is better, and they will get more compensatory picks then us. Maybe it will change in a year or two, but it's a fact of now. Has nothing to do with the Colts FO judging it better than us.

Come out of La La land.  Green Bay hardly even looked competitive against anyone in the AFC South.  And Green Bay didn't get what they have by chucking out large FA contracts.  You know this.  We'll sign somebody I'm sure but you're trippin.

5 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Those splashy players are still out there. We can get a Brandon Williams or a Poe and still come out with a player who is towards the top of their position. Its the lower end of the flashy guys, but they will cost less and have the same impact that one of the other guys would. Time will tell if we make a play for these type of guys. 

I have a feeling Poe's contract is going to be monstrous but I honestly don't follow DTs around the league and their level of play compared to other positions.

8 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Maybe because hes not very good! Glad we didn't sign him!!

PFF rated him higher than Brandon Williams and Dontari Poe, go figure, sort the results in the link below by position. I sincerely doubt that is the case, that he is not very good. It could be more of a system fit or locker room fit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2017-free-agency-tracker/

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I have a feeling Poe's contract is going to be monstrous but I honestly don't follow DTs around the league and their level of play compared to other positions.

DT is much like an interior OL player. You dont see anything flashy, but the players around them start looking better. 

Also since there hasnt been much movement on the DTs today, the contracts might not be as bad as predicted. Sounds like Poe was hoping for more interest and was mentioning maybe taking a 1 yr prove it deal. 

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We need to sign somebody we wont fill every need in just one draft.

We won't fill every need in one year whether through FA or the draft.  This team has some big holes.

1 minute ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

He had a down year last year. So he shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. 

5 minutes ago, gspdx said:

It still looks like Poe, Williams and Hightower among others are still out there.  Maybe we get one, maybe not.  I know Ballard said locker room fit was just as important as football skills and I would agree.  Let's give this a little time.

I'm not panicking, I'll trust Ballard either way. I'm way more excited for the draft. 

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm going to take a break for awhile. Just making myself mad and some of you mad. Will come back in a bit and see if we signed someone.

Are you the same guy who was so astute in your assesment that we needed to sign Ballard to keep Heat on Pagano?  Now you're talking stuff about Blind Homerism?  Huh?

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Per ESPN most of ththe dlinemen and linebackers are still out there. Those are two of the Colts biggest needs.  Just be patient.

If they can land a starter at each it was a good day.    Maybe two lbers

I don't want the Colts spending a boat load of money on high end FAs. This is a weak FA class anyways and the high end guys who are commanding superstar money aren't even superstars.

Having said that, if you're of the camp that is freaking out about Ballard not doing anything, please clam down. Like actually. You need to chill. Free Agency literally started TWO hours ago. There's plenty of players still available and Ballard said himself they probably won't overspend on high end guys. So your fault for being surprised.