Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign OT Fahn Cooper

Superman

3 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Depth move.

Really? Here is a guy who spent all of his only NFL season on a practice squad...for a team that decided not to bring him back for 2017.  So the Colts snatch him up, but you think it was only for depth? I"m pretty sure the national consensus was this guy is pegged to be our new starting LT.  Not sure why you'd jump to him just being signed as a "depth move".  Very curious.

Am I crazy for thinking this may be an indicator that no big OL moves are coming this offseason? Castonzo, Mewhort, and Kelly have 3/5 of the line locked down, so we could end up with Cooper, Haeg, Clark, Good, Reitz, Blythe, and Harrison competing to see who gets the last two starting spots, and who makes the roster as depth, because I doubt we'd carry all 7 of them into the regular season.

3 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

Am I crazy for thinking this may be an indicator that no big OL moves are coming this offseason? Castonzo, Mewhort, and Kelly have 3/5 of the line locked down, so we could end up with Cooper, Haeg, Clark, Good, Reitz, Blythe, and Harrison competing to see who gets the last two starting spots, and who makes the roster as depth, because I doubt we'd carry all 7 of them into the regular season.

I think you are sane. I get a feeling that the line is already on the roster barring a FA pick up or a draft pick. That said I would not be surprised if we picked up a veteran right tackle to compete with Haig, Good and Clark

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/04/30/new-san-francisco-49ers-ol-fahn-cooper-im-going-to-work-my-butt-off/ai7ldx8/

In the past two seasons at Ole Miss, the 6-foot-4, 303-pound offensive tackle started all 26 games, and in 2015, he was selected as the Kent Hull Trophy winner, awarded to Mississippi’s top offensive lineman. 

The Pro Football Weekly draft guide ranked Cooper as the 16th-best offensive tackle in draft. PFW’s draft expert Greg Gabriel, who spent 32 years as an NFL Scout and Director of College Scouting, praised Cooper’s work ethic and leadership. 

“A legitimate tough guy with good strength, but he lacks the athleticism and range to play tackle in the NFL,” Gabriel wrote in the draft magazine. “Most teams will start him out there because of his length, but I would bet that he will end up inside. His traits are more like a guard than a tackle.”

4 hours ago, MasterCrief said:

Am I crazy for thinking this may be an indicator that no big OL moves are coming this offseason? 

If you're reading anything more than "this is a camp body that will get a chance to compete for a depth position or a spot on the practice squad" into this signing, then yes you are crazy.  A thousand times yes.