Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Victor Cruz

He's cut, as is Rashad Jennings. He is loved up here big time, sucks because his injury has made him too old, injured, and expensive and when you have Odell and Shepard he's not as needed. I was at the game when he scored the 97 yard TD against the Jets on Christmas Eve to put the Giants in the playoffs and eventually win the SB. He came here and visited after Sandy Hook as well. He will be missed!

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Not the same WR after the injuries! The Colts should not go for strike three at signing another veteran WR in Cruz. Bey and Johnson being strikes 1 and 2.

Don't forget Avery and Nicks....we've tried to fill that 3rd wr position several times and so it makes sense why we went ahead and pulled the trigger on Dorsett. Hopefully Phillip gets a role in this offense this year.

Just now, dgambill said:

Don't forget Avery and Nicks....we've tried to fill that 3rd wr position several times and so it makes sense why we went ahead and pulled the trigger on Dorsett. Hopefully Phillip gets a role in this offense this year.

Forgot about those two. Actually, D. Avery was decent the season he played with the Colts. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I liked what I saw from Chester as well. 

I remember when Jim Sorgi, then the backup QB to Eli, & Victor Cruz had his welcome to the NFL coming out party. He was Odell Beckham Jr. before that man even arrived in NY City.

This is a very sad day for diehard BIG BLUE fans like myself. Sigh...

I remember that Preseason game like it was yesterday man. Whose this Cruz WR moving the chains man? It was so awesome. It really was. 

Crap. This sucks. I was even bummed when Jeremy Shockey was gone too. I'm very loyal to my Giants. I always have been. 

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I wish he was healthy but it just does not seem like he is...

Yes, as much as it pains me to say this, Victor is always hurt & never available anymore. Cruz is such a nice guy. I feel horrible that his body is breaking down. I hope you still have some of your money kid & didn't blow it all on cars, mansions, & women. 

Good luck in your next career Cruz. I wish nothing but the best for you. I sincerely mean that. 

He's done. They have a locker room cancer called OBJ....Partying with Biebz and on that boat in south beach didn't help them focus in the playoffs. 

Cruz was decent until he started hanging around OBJ and became a showboating look-at-me player. 

Hopefully we don't have to deal with them making the playoffs again and the idea that they some how can beat NE without Tom Coughlin there. If Coughlin is there, no partying in Miami. 

21 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

He's done. They have a locker room cancer called OBJ....Partying with Biebz and on that boat in south beach didn't help them focus in the playoffs. 

Cruz was decent until he started hanging around OBJ and became a showboating look-at-me player. 

Hopefully we don't have to deal with them making the playoffs again and the idea that they some how can beat NE without Tom Coughlin there. If Coughlin is there, no partying in Miami. 

Bitter much? And his decline has nothing to do with partying lol.... He got injured and that was before anyone even knew who OBJ was in NY..

23 hours ago, GoPats said:

I didn't see a lot of NYG games in full this past season but I get the notion that Cruz is not the player he was before the patella injury. Maybe he's got something left in the tank. 

Not many players make it back from a patella tendon injury, certainly not back to 100%. With the advances in medical practices relating to ligament repair I'd put it out there that it's the worst soft tissue injury you can suffer. @ColtsBlueFL will know a lot more than me I'm sure. 

I wonder if we'll ever see Derek Newton back on a football field for one, that was real nasty one. 

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

Donnie Avery was pretty solid I thought, I'd have brought him back for the right money. 

39 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Not many players make it back from a patella tendon injury, certainly not back to 100%. With the advances in medical practices relating to ligament repair I'd put it out there that it's the worst soft tissue injury you can suffer. @ColtsBlueFL will know a lot more than me I'm sure. 

I wonder if we'll ever see Derek Newton back on a football field for one, that was real nasty one. 

Jimmy Graham is one exception, he recovered pretty well from it.

9 hours ago, Synthetic said:

pretty pathetic post^

23 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'm on board with your assessment. OTOH, there is no question Cruz is a world class type athlete, and they are known to defy medical odds at times; IE Adrian Peterson recovery.  However Cruz injury has been studied, and for NFL players, and the prognosis is not very good.  A crapshoot is the word that comes to my mind. Do not forget Cruz also had to have his fascia in his left calf surgically repaired as an offshoot of his patellar tendon recovery.  Cruz blames overcompensation caused it, and it would not heal without surgical intervention.

Quote-
"A study published in June by the American Journal of Sports Medicine, cataloging postoperative outcomes of orthopedic procedures in NFL players, found only 50 percent of players returned after having surgery on torn patellar tendons. That's particularly daunting considering that 79.4 percent of players returned to play after orthopedic procedures in general, which makes patellar tendon repair an outlier.

In fact, per that study, those recovering from patellar tendon surgery fared the worst "with respect to the return-to-play rate, career length after surgery, games played, and performance at one year and two-to-three years after surgery."

Not only are those who had patellar tendon surgery much less likely to return, but they also return for less time and perform at a lower level than those who have suffered other common musculoskeletal injuries such as torn ACLs or ruptured Achilles tendons."

Remember, this study was NFL players and at their level of athleticism. So it takes world class athlete with world class recovery to make it back.  Can Cruz do it?  Possibly.

But based upon the above information, would you, as a new GM of the Colts looking to make a positive imprint on his new organization, take a chance on Victor Cruz given his medical history? How would you work him out to test his skill level?  How much and for how many years, would you pay him?  Etc...

Those are the questions I pose to the forum GM's around here if they were contemplating a Cruz signing.

20 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Only maybe at the vet minumum would I be interested.  But honestly I don't see much room for him.  

oh please god no....its a shame but he is done. lets not sign a washed up player to take reps away from our young WR's and slow their development...

On 2/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, GoPats said:

I didn't see a lot of NYG games in full this past season but I get the notion that Cruz is not the player he was before the patella injury. Maybe he's got something left in the tank. 

Seeing many Giant games he has lost a step and now injury prone 

7 hours ago, eseae said:

oh please god no....its a shame but he is done. lets not sign a washed up player to take reps away from our young WR's and slow their development...

Dorsett is in his 3rd year and Moncrief is in his 4th year.  I'm not convinced they have much more room to develop.  

Only Rodgers really has room to develop.  

But ultimately my point is that Cruz would be at best the #4 or #5 guy here.  

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Dorsett is in his 3rd year and Moncrief is in his 4th year.  I'm not convinced they have much more room to develop.  

Only Rodgers really has room to develop.  

But ultimately my point is that Cruz would be at best the #4 or #5 guy here.  

You have room to develop in your 4th or fifth year..

...we get impatient but it does take time..especially if you've been hurt.

I like Cruz and I'd sign him if we had a need....but, like you say, Indy isn't the place for him....