Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Speculation] Jack Doyle to test free agency (Merged)

TigerColt

On 2/20/2017 at 4:01 PM, I'm mad, bro said:

First off how cute you two lovers having each others backs. Your comparing the stats of a 6 mil/yr starting TE to a 3rd string 500,000 TE. Erik started the year barely playing and earned his way onto the field more and more in passing situations and becuz Dwayne Allen can't stay healthy for strecth of 6 games. Erik isn't a horrible blocker at all shows strength at the POA and has a bigger body then DA 100%. As for your butt buddy, hahaha these stats made me laugh.

Ohh so you mean our starting TE got more targets then our 3rd string? Geeee I'm so shocked. 6 touchdowns 3 of them where one night against the sorry Jets. So he had 3 through 15 games, 1 every 5 that's good production out of a 6 mil/yr TE huh. Please list the drops as well, nooooo that's "advantage Swoope". Your Lil stats prove nothing Swoope didn't get his opportunity until late in the year and showed good things, and is clearly a better receiving TE then DA. Use protection you two nasties.

1. Stats are how players get paid. Stats also tell most of the truth. You didn't say anything about money, or value, thats another conversion!! 2. Erik did earn his way onto to the field, and yes Allen has a hard time staying healthy, again another conversion. The fact that Allen gets hurt doesn't make Swoope better he is STILL there 3rd string TE. 3. Swoope is no where near the blocker Allen is , if he was they would ask him to block more which they don't and Allens bass is much bigger and stronger, plus having played football longer is why he is a better blocker. 4. Allen has always been a good red zone TE thats why he scores TD's he is wide body which he uses well. 5.  I Believe the drops were outline BY MY BUDDY with STATS to show there hands are similar. 6. Swoppe still is the the 3rd string TE with a chance to keep improving I like him and hope he does. 7. Allen is better thats why he GOT PAID. 8. As far as your personal attach on myself and buddy one can only surmise that you don't like facts or stats, you are Swoopes agent, or you are the head of the Swoopes fan club to make him the greatness TE whom may have ever lived. Don't respond no time for baby talk.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/21/2017 at 1:23 PM, Rally5 said:

Right again my friend!  It's a two tight end league and Doyle also fits the FB position.  He became a go-to target and he's clutch.  We actually only have a few guys currently on roster (our own FA's) that actually have any re-sign value and Doyle is one of them.  Plenty of cash, get this one done, in addition, Swoope can't replace Doyle.  If we are to focus on Defense in the draft we don't want to create avoidable offensive gaps. This is an easy call.  Thanks!

PS.  Go get an OG in FA and solidify the oline.....this is all very doable.

I agree with you that Swoope doesn't replace Doyle, Swoope would better replace an Allen moreso. I really like the potential in both TE's and am becoming more and more comfortable in signinging Doyle as our solid chain mover and solid hands guy and Swoope as our seam busting deep threat TE as he has really developed his play and understands how to use his body. Kelcey understands that as does Gates and Gronk. I'm not saying Swoope is going to reach those marks but he has speed, size and basketball blocking out mentality, all he needs is time. I like all our TE's except Allen really and that's mostly due to his price tag Vs his play and potential with replacements.

I'd sign both Doyle and Swoope and cut/trade Allen. Id probably be open to understanding that Moncrief gets signed away when his contract comes due if he wants #1 or high #2 pay as does Dorsett. Rolling with TY, these 2 TE's, pass catching dynamic RB we need to find and developing guys like Rogers and younger guys along the way while building and paying a strong defense and investing in the online. Can't pay every spot premium and some good talent is going to come and go. Let's hope we choose wisely and correctly more often than not from here on out.  

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Jack Doyle leaving really has that much of an impact, we're screwed. I mean, he's good and all, but this isn't like the Pats losing Gronk or something.

It won't have a major impact, but he was second on the team in receiving yards and receptions, so that's a big hole to fix now

Just now, WarGhost21 said:

It won't have a major impact, but he was second on the team in receiving yards and receptions, so that's a big hole to fix now

We can draft someone with one of the 2 4th round picks, hit the waiver wire, UDFA, etc. I liked Doyle and really hoped that he would sign an extension, but if he wants to chase a payday just to end up on the Rams or Jets, as the kids would say, bye Felicia.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Jack Doyle leaving really has that much of an impact, we're screwed. I mean, he's good and all, but this isn't like the Pats losing Gronk or something.

Well c'mon Gronk is the premier TE in the league. The impact will be felt no doubt. Doyle is a great blocker and he is a key wheel in the machine. I do not want to see him go. He has become a darn good receiving TE as well.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We can draft someone with one of the 2 4th round picks, hit the waiver wire, UDFA, etc. I liked Doyle and really hoped that he would sign an extension, but if he wants to chase a payday just to end up on the Rams or Jets, as the kids would say, bye Felicia.

This does not mean Doyle is gone he just wants paid for something he has worked very hard for.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Really? He has been the best TE on the team?

We've got Andrew Luck. I'm guessing between Allen, Swoope, Hilton, Moncreif, Rogers, Dorsett, etc, he'll figure out a way to offset losing Doyle's 5TDs. Bottom line is teams lose players all the time, and have to replace their production one way or the other. For example, Pats only had Gronk for 8 games this year, and won the Super Bowl, so we should be able to weather the storm of losing Jack Doyle.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We've got Andrew Luck. I'm guessing between Allen, Swoope, Hilton, Moncreif, Rogers, Dorsett, etc, he'll figure out a way to offset losing Doyle's 5TDs. Bottom line is teams lose players all the time, and have to replace their production one way or the other. For example, Pats only had Gronk for 8 games this year, and won the Super Bowl, so we should be able to weather the storm of losing Jack Doyle.

They had a quality backup in Bennett. If we lose Allen next season, I'm not positive Swoope can fill in like MB did for the Pats. I'm positive Doyle could.

4 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Well c'mon Gronk is the premier TE in the league. The impact will be felt no doubt. Doyle is a great blocker and he is a key wheel in the machine. I do not want to see him go. He has become a darn good receiving TE as well.

He's not that great of a blocker. As much as I do like him, I won't make him out to be something that he isn't. He's got good hands, runs great routes, and has a great rapport with Luck, but he's not an elite blocking TE.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's not that great of a blocker. As much as I do like him, I won't make him out to be something that he isn't. He's got good hands, runs great routes, and has a great rapport with Luck, but he's not an elite blocking TE.

Well, I wont say elite but he IS a great blocker for a TE. That's my opinion. Im not making him out to be something he isn't either but you seem to want to minimize his skill and value to the team. Doyle is a very underrated player and I hope we keep him. If we cant the loss will be felt. Relying on Allen to play 16 games is not a good plan and Swoope isn't anywhere near Doyle's level yet. Can we draft one? Sure, but no draftee is going to come in and pick up right where Doyle left off.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

This does not mean Doyle is gone he just wants paid for something he has worked very hard for.

He isn't a special player.   He can go get paid elsewhere.   He is easily replaced.  If Allen can stay healthy,  He is a far superior player

47 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If the contract the Colts did offer him was a low then I cant say I blame him.

He has worked very hard to make himself a very good player.

Ok he had a good year last year aside from 2016 season though he didn't do much this just shows me he is all about the money and if that's the case don't let the door hit him in the butt on the way out.

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't a special player.   He can go get paid elsewhere.   He is easily replaced.  If Allen can stay healthy,  He is a far superior player

We can all say that Allen's skill set could be better or ceiling is higher etc. But truth is I wouldn't trade Jack Doyle for five Dwayne Allen's. Doyle is a better blocking TE. And Doyle's hands are way better. Allen may be the better athlete if that's what you mean by superior. But Doyle has been the better player. And more importantly Doyle is not near as injured prone as Allen. 

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I disagree. Allen is barely a better player then Doyle.

Honesty would rather have Doyle than Allen..... 

Doyle is a better player overall and his blocking his very underrated.

Allen had one really good game last year where he scored 3 TD's I believe. Good stat booster game for him.

Allen isn't bad when completely healthy but if I had to choose Doyle or Allen I would choose Doyle. We can really pay both crazy amount of $$$ so if we could trade Allen for a decent pick or defensive player and keep Doyle I would be pretty happy.

My only fear about losing Doyle is if DA gets injured (or as some of you would argue, when) Swoope is the number 1 TE and someone who is not on th team currently is TE 2. That doesn't fill me with confidence.

1 minute ago, Rebelknight said:

Swoope is a free agent also..I hope Jack stays as long as it's cheap. I hope neither one leaves. All that time spent cultivating their talent just to leave..

Swoope would be very easy to resign

I hope we're not counting on getting a "home town discount" from Doyle,  because it sounds like he's not willing to give us one.

But just because he's going to test the market,  doesn't mean we won't bring him back.   We might have simply asked his agent to contact us with his best offer before actually signing that deal to see if we'd beat it?    

But if we lose Doyle,  count me as one who doesn't think that it's no big deal as so many in this thread have stated.      We got Doyle as an unsigned free agent.     That's a win for the Colts.    To have to buy someone else in FA or use a draft pick to replace him is a lose for the Colts.       

Luck loves throwing to him.    Luck looks for Doyle all over the field, and on big downs.    That doesn't happen with everyone.     The two have chemistry and trust and that's important.     It's not as easy to replace someone like that.     It's not just a matter of replacing him with someone else.  

If fans here want to get back to the playoffs THIS YEAR,  then re-signing Jack Doyle is a small, but important piece of the puzzle.    I hope this ends well for both sides......